Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3184

1       2       3              3184      
       3186              5885       5886       end

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

MDoc9523 wrote:

Hard to see how that bird swallowed that large frog!

rattymouse

saph wrote:
Tom, I am limited by what I can get PSE to do in terms of B&W conversion, but I will definitely give that a shot.

rattymouse wrote:
saph wrote:

I suspect this one could make a great monochrome image.

I dont have PSE, but there must be a saturation slider. If yes, just flick it all the way down to turn off the color and after that, just play with contrast, both local and global.

rattymouse

Purple carrots?

leighton w wrote:
Some from the market today with the 50/1.2 AIS.

This was done in Color Efex Pro.

50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

the solitaire
Total Posts: 2100

Ray, thnx for the kind words, and yes, NFMLAS definately bit me.

Kevin, I bought that lens somewhere in the 90īs and used it on my FM2. Never really found out much about it but it worked fine with film. It never worked for me on the D70 but with the D300 I already got some pretty nice results. I donīt have the close up lens but the PK-13 works pretty well with the lens. Havenīt tried the PN-11 yet but with the light loss I can imagine things get really dark.

Samy, there are some areas where I wouldnīt mind owning another 2 or 3 MF lenses. A nice 24 or 20mm as well as the 180 Ai-S and 300 f4.5 IF-ED come to mind. I donīt like post processing at all and donīt care much for the fish eye look so even though the 16mm is an awesome lens I wonīt be on the lookout for one of those. A 105mm micro Nikkor would also be an interesting addition.

In regards to your 5.8cm f1.4, it would be interesting to find out what exactly is going on. I do get infinity focus when I turn the focus rig to infinity. Itīs just the corners and edgs of the frame that end up somewhere else.

Best way to have a semi-scientific look at field curvature is to lay a piece of checkered paper on a table and the camera on a tripod. Try to achieve as level an angle as possible while you can still see the checker pattern. Focus on a point somewhere in the middle of the sheet of paper and make a series of photos where you frame the checker pattern like an imaginary horizon across the frame and place that horizon at 1/5th increments higher and lower in the frame.

Also make a shot with the aperture wide open shooting the checkered pattern head on (the way a perfectly flat focal plane would be positioned) from about 3.2 ft/1 meter away.Then focus "right", a bit short and a bit too far. The finer the checker pattern the better this works but 10mm checkers should do just fine.

Leighton, I like that first shot best. Very colorful and the dreamy soft focus look really makes that shot stand out because carrots is about the last subject in the world where one expects soft focus

Jay, thatīs an impressive looking piece of forest. Perfect capture

Rafael, awesome silhouette. You stopped down the lens quite a bit for that one, right? Do you know the aperture used?

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Ray, the egret looks kinda proud with his big catch ;-) Nice catch from the balcony too Love the bokeh-play with the superfast 85!

Samy, nice work with your 1000mm-combo! Do you use a gimbal-head or a regular tripod-head to handle all that glass?

Buddy, very nice family-pictures Regarding the scratched 50/1.4: one of my largest commercially printed images was done with a scratched 50/1.4 SC on a 12MP-Nikon ;-)

Jay, the close-up with the 50/1.2 is great, as is the stitched landscape.

Curtis, love the chess-bokeh-play! The gentle swirly highlights in front of the black chessmen are wonderful.

Tom, I like especially the first subway-shot.

Rafael, the silouette-image is wonderfully done!

Steve, the framing of "Look-up" is great.

Leighton, very nice set from the famers market! The "carrot-like" plants look fantastic! Is this root-parsley?

leighton w
Total Posts: 12616

Thank you Jay, Dean, Ratty and Buddy. Those colorful carrots were begging for this!

Jay, what a great landscape shot!

Rafael, love the silhouette.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12616

georgms wrote:

Leighton, very nice set from the famers market! The "carrot-like" plants look fantastic! Is this root-parsley?

Thanks Georg, they are indeed carrots!

rattymouse

Some shots along one of the Suzhou canals, a place visited by Marco Polo who described it as the "Venice of the East". All shot on Ektar film with either the 24mm f/2 AIS or 85mm f/2 AIS lens.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Tom, very nice set from the canal - my fav is the first shot for it's framing.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2483

[

Rafael, awesome silhouette. You stopped down the lens quite a bit for that one, right? Do you know the aperture used?

saph
Total Posts: 3699

All three are superb Leighton!

leighton w wrote:
Some from the market today with the 50/1.2 AIS.

This was done in Color Efex Pro.

This is one of my good friends.

saph

I will try that Tom, PSE also has a convert to B&W function. Its just that my results seem blah compared to the folks here using Silver Efex.

rattymouse wrote:
saph wrote:
Tom, I am limited by what I can get PSE to do in terms of B&W conversion, but I will definitely give that a shot.

rattymouse wrote:
saph wrote:

I suspect this one could make a great monochrome image.

I dont have PSE, but there must be a saturation slider. If yes, just flick it all the way down to turn off the color and after that, just play with contrast, both local and global.

rattymouse

saph wrote:
I will try that Tom, PSE also has a convert to B&W function. Its just that my results seem blah compared to the folks here using Silver Efex.

We are not competitors here so just give it your best shot.

saph

Georg, its a regular Gitzo ballhead on a Gitzo tripod. When I added the TC301, I could see the image shake while taking the shots. I tried pressing down on the top of th emiddle of the lens and hopefully that dampened some of the vibration.

georgms wrote:

Samy, nice work with your 1000mm-combo! Do you use a gimbal-head or a regular tripod-head to handle all that glass?

saph

Venice in Shanghai - terrific images Tom!!

rattymouse wrote:
Some shots along one of the Suzhou canals, a place visited by Marco Polo who described it as the "Venice of the East". All shot on Ektar film with either the 24mm f/2 AIS or 85mm f/2 AIS lens.

saph

Wonderful light, color and silhouette Rafael!

rafaelcasd wrote:

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 sc D3 silouette by Rafael CA, on Flickr

saph

Buddy, thanks for the tip on testing for field curvature. Perhaps that will be the next series of test I will assign myself

the solitaire wrote:
Ray, thnx for the kind words, and yes, NFMLAS definately bit me.

Kevin, I bought that lens somewhere in the 90īs and used it on my FM2. Never really found out much about it but it worked fine with film. It never worked for me on the D70 but with the D300 I already got some pretty nice results. I donīt have the close up lens but the PK-13 works pretty well with the lens. Havenīt tried the PN-11 yet but with the light loss I can imagine things get really dark.

Samy, there are some areas where I wouldnīt mind owning another 2 or 3 MF lenses. A nice 24 or 20mm as well as the 180 Ai-S and 300 f4.5 IF-ED come to mind. I donīt like post processing at all and donīt care much for the fish eye look so even though the 16mm is an awesome lens I wonīt be on the lookout for one of those. A 105mm micro Nikkor would also be an interesting addition.

In regards to your 5.8cm f1.4, it would be interesting to find out what exactly is going on. I do get infinity focus when I turn the focus rig to infinity. Itīs just the corners and edgs of the frame that end up somewhere else.

Best way to have a semi-scientific look at field curvature is to lay a piece of checkered paper on a table and the camera on a tripod. Try to achieve as level an angle as possible while you can still see the checker pattern. Focus on a point somewhere in the middle of the sheet of paper and make a series of photos where you frame the checker pattern like an imaginary horizon across the frame and place that horizon at 1/5th increments higher and lower in the frame.

Also make a shot with the aperture wide open shooting the checkered pattern head on (the way a perfectly flat focal plane would be positioned) from about 3.2 ft/1 meter away.Then focus "right", a bit short and a bit too far. The finer the checker pattern the better this works but 10mm checkers should do just fine.

Leighton, I like that first shot best. Very colorful and the dreamy soft focus look really makes that shot stand out because carrots is about the last subject in the world where one expects soft focus

Jay, thatīs an impressive looking piece of forest. Perfect capture

saph

More from the trip to Conowingo Dam at Susquehanna River, using the 500 F4 P.

These three are all at 500mm - no TC.

Blue Heron Intersection

The Watch Tower.
These are a couple of towers on Rowland Island in the middle of the river. There was one eagle sitting there earlier, but all of these look like vultures. In November, there's usually several adult and juvenile eagles intererspersed among the vultures on the tower.

Gull and cormorant. Its neat to watch the cormorants dive in beak first, then they surface quite a distance away, presumably having chased and gobbled up fish in the meantime.

The osprey is at 1000mm, and a significant crop revealing tonnes of dust bunnies on the sensor.

dpbingham
Total Posts: 138

Here's one I captured of my dog today... with the 180mm 2.8 ED.
I need to work on the shutter speed... I am able to switch between A and M modes, but when I go into S mode, I am not able to control shutter speed. Is that normal with a MF lens?

dpbingham
Total Posts: 138

First fall leaves here in California...

1       2       3              3184      
       3186              5885       5886       end