Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3183

1       2       3              3183      
       3185              4433       4434       end

rattymouse
Total Posts: 5012

MDoc9523 wrote:
Was driving on my way home and decided to take the long way. Going down some seldom traveled back roads with my 50mm 1.4 mounted to my D600. I haven't used this lens for a while, so I gave it some much deserved, careful attention not to blow out the highlights. This is the K version that my good friend trimmed for me.

These first two have a real Velvia quality to their color. Great images!

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

georgms wrote:
John, ^ this shot is fantastic too! The light is excellent and your framing works great for me.

+1

great shots John - good lesson in putting a strong foreground element - I often tend to forget and just try and shoot the view of the distance - and it loses the perspective.

ben

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3135

bruni wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT

Since we're two days away from the third anniversary of this thread's beginning, I thought I'd ask the usual suspects whether they have thoughts about how we mark the day... I mean beyond the cards containing cash addressed to me...

Sue thought we could each take a photo ON the day, August 22, to share, but we do that most days. We could each recall the date and circumstance of our arrival on this thread. I did a bit of that when we reached the second anniversary, but it would be much too much work with all the newcomers who've joined. How did you discover the thread and what motivated you to begin participating?

The first post was at 12:43 p.m. of that day. We could each take a photo at that time wherever we happen to be, and then share it. We could share once again our favorite photo from the thread.

I know that with time such things as birthdays lose a bit of their meaning. On the other hand, I doubt many of us who are in relationship could get away with saying the same thing about anniversaries... That is a recipe for disaster...

I'll probably wax eloquent on the day but that is hardly something new or even special. I'd welcome suggestions anyone has on this subject. We have a day and a half to "prepare." Just remember... you snooze, you lose...

I'm really not sure what to do other than you waxing eloquent. Perhaps we could do some sort of on-line drawing with a chance to win one of your lenses. Autographed of course!

Count me in for the drawing

Me too! Always love new lenses...

but I'm a day ahead - it's the 22nd tomorrow here!

maybe we could take theme photos to mark the day - pics that evoke the 3rd anniversary - maybe pics that feature the number 3 or contain 3 objects - or evoke some other aspect of the thread?

ben

That is a cool idea. I might not be able to take the shot ON the day, but would love to participate. New job is keeping me VERY busy...

Stokesey
Total Posts: 868

Leighton I love the Blacksmith pic. It works well in monochrome.

Curtis your work with that new 20mm is gorgeous, hope I can come close with the new 18mm f4 I just acquired today.

Along with a couple of other new toys.

Steve

Stokesey

Went out today with the 24mm f2.8 on the D700

Finished the day with an 18mm f4

Some days just go like that.

Steve

Stokesey

Ooooops ...

I meant to add the pix from the 18mm f4 @ f8 ISO 400 1/125th

Steve

deang001
Total Posts: 1701

mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
I had to get close with the 28mm on and I thought this guy was going to clobber me with his hammer.

2013RCF 28/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

I like to very much Leighton. Nice conversion.

+1 really nice shot, Leighton.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13627

Let me make this CLEAR! I'm suggesting that on the day that is August 22 for you, whether tomorrow for Ben or the next day for the rest of us, we would take a shot at 12:43 a.m. on that day... local time. No need to relate to time differences. Its like New Year's Eve celebrations that move around the earth with time changes. Ben will get their first, then Dean, then Chin... actually a bit like Nikki as she moved around the world. And if you're at work Kevin, take a photo of your waste basket...

That is only one possibility. Ben suggests we lean into the theme of THREE, which could be done in multiple ways. For Leighton it might be three empty Heineken bottles sitting on a table, for Ray it might be a trio performing at his club... so many options and so little time...

OOPS... 12:43 P.M.!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13627

Ray, is Florida REALLY that pretty or are you over-saturating your files?

Every time I see your photos my mind keeps chanting... tripod, tripod, tripod... You're supposed to be tempting us with lenses, not tripods...

Gorgeous photos Ray, whatever lens you happen to mount.

mp356
Total Posts: 4448

MDoc9523 wrote:
Was driving on my way home and decided to take the long way. Going down some seldom traveled back roads with my 50mm 1.4 mounted to my D600. I haven't used this lens for a while, so I gave it some much deserved, careful attention not to blow out the highlights. This is the K version that my good friend trimmed for me.

Ray nice series but I really like this one. Well scene.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3598

bruni wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT

Since we're two days away from the third anniversary of this thread's beginning, I thought I'd ask the usual suspects whether they have thoughts about how we mark the day... I mean beyond the cards containing cash addressed to me...

Sue thought we could each take a photo ON the day, August 22, to share, but we do that most days. We could each recall the date and circumstance of our arrival on this thread. I did a bit of that when we reached the second anniversary, but it would be much too much work with all the newcomers who've joined. How did you discover the thread and what motivated you to begin participating?

The first post was at 12:43 p.m. of that day. We could each take a photo at that time wherever we happen to be, and then share it. We could share once again our favorite photo from the thread.

I know that with time such things as birthdays lose a bit of their meaning. On the other hand, I doubt many of us who are in relationship could get away with saying the same thing about anniversaries... That is a recipe for disaster...

I'll probably wax eloquent on the day but that is hardly something new or even special. I'd welcome suggestions anyone has on this subject. We have a day and a half to "prepare." Just remember... you snooze, you lose...

I'm really not sure what to do other than you waxing eloquent. Perhaps we could do some sort of on-line drawing with a chance to win one of your lenses. Autographed of course!

Count me in for the drawing

Me too! Always love new lenses...

but I'm a day ahead - it's the 22nd tomorrow here!

maybe we could take theme photos to mark the day - pics that evoke the 3rd anniversary - maybe pics that feature the number 3 or contain 3 objects - or evoke some other aspect of the thread?

ben

Or a draw to win Nikki...

designdog
Total Posts: 198

Here is a thought.

One of the interesting things about this forum is the diversity of the individuals who participate. We all have some things in common, or we would not be here, but we are from many locales, walks of life, states of mind.

Why not mark the anniversary of this forum with a tribute to the people in it, as recorded by the Nikon mf glass behind it:

Over the next week, take a photo of where you live, with your absolute favorite mf lens. Post the image with a few words about your home/location, as well as the reason that lens is your favorite. The photograph might be depictive, or evocative. Might be fun.

Just an idea to contribute...

James Markus
Total Posts: 4469

I really like this, leighton.

leighton w wrote:
I had to get close with the 28mm on and I thought this guy was going to clobber me with his hammer.

2013RCF 28/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

DesertDiesel
Total Posts: 95

John, is this shot taken near Flagstaff? Really awesome. You really captured the light.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3135

designdog wrote:
Here is a thought.

One of the interesting things about this forum is the diversity of the individuals who participate. We all have some things in common, or we would not be here, but we are from many locales, walks of life, states of mind.

Why not mark the anniversary of this forum with a tribute to the people in it, as recorded by the Nikon mf glass behind it:

Over the next week, take a photo of where you live, with your absolute favorite mf lens. Post the image with a few words about your home/location, as well as the reason that lens is your favorite. The photograph might be depictive, or evocative. Might be fun.

I like this idea a lot.

georgms
Total Posts: 3515

CGrindahl wrote:
Let me make this CLEAR! I'm suggesting that on the day that is August 22 for you, whether tomorrow for Ben or the next day for the rest of us, we would take a shot at 12:43 a.m. on that day... local time. No need to relate to time differences. Its like New Year's Eve celebrations that move around the earth with time changes. Ben will get their first, then Dean, then Chin... actually a bit like Nikki as she moved around the world. And if you're at work Kevin, take a photo of your waste basket...

That is only one possibility. Ben suggests we lean into the theme of THREE, which could be done in multiple ways. For Leighton it might be three empty Heineken bottles sitting on a table, for Ray it might be a trio performing at his club... so many options and so little time...

Curtis, I've had already an idea I'm kinda proud of, so please don't mind if I do the celebration-thingie my way ;-)

Ben and David - great suggestions!

Steve - congrats to your 18mm! Looks like you'll have a lot of fun with the super-wide-angle...

leighton w
Total Posts: 9778

Thank you all for the nice comments on the Blacksmith shot.

leighton w

Stokesey wrote:
Leighton I love the Blacksmith pic. It works well in monochrome.

Curtis your work with that new 20mm is gorgeous, hope I can come close with the new 18mm f4 I just acquired today.

Along with a couple of other new toys.

Steve

Steve, congrats on the new lens, seems like there's a lot of you folks going wide.

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:

Does this mean there won't be any autographed lens from you? Seriously though, this sounds like a good idea. I'll try my best to post something at the appointed time.

leighton w

designdog wrote:
Here is a thought.

This sounded like the best idea so far, until I realized I couldn't pick a favorite lens, they are ALL my favorites!

1       2       3              3183      
       3185              4433       4434       end