Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3169

1       2       3              3169      
       3171              4241       4242       end

mp356
Total Posts: 4287

MDoc9523 wrote:
Look what arrived today. My "new" 105mm 2.5 P This lens is beautiful. Very little wear on the focus ring and the glass is perfect. This lens was in the first production of the new Guass design. I also have a 105mm 2.5P which was the last of the Sonnar design. Hopefully I will be able to compare the two.

Looks very nice Ray. I am envious.

mp356

Lieutenant Z wrote:
georgms wrote:
Samy, Philippe and Scott - thank you for your words on the boat/ferry-images!

Here's something slightly different, fresh from this afternoon:

a snappy dresser at the race, 105/1.8 Ais at f/2

Your sweetheart, I guess

Nice one Georg. That is quite a hat!

mp356

CGrindahl wrote:
loic wrote:
Hi everyone !

Ive been reading this thread for 6 months now and joined this forum just to thank you :
- First of all, the father, the boss, the creator : Curtis - Im sure he will like this !
- But all the others too : Monty, Philippe, Leighton, Ben, Scott, Georg, Chuong, Don, Ron But just how many are you?

Through this thread, I discovered fantastic pictures, learned know-hows, stole ideas, fell in love with Nikkis fantastic adventure... But must of all, you helped me rediscovering and buying MF glasses !
So thank you for infecting me with your Manual Focus Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (I think I bought 8 of them in six months...), and as it seems the "doll exercise" is compulsory , here is my revenge, just for you : A Nightmare doll (if my first upload works)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100358020@N04/9524758248/

I know I wont be able to keep up the thread but Ill try

Loc

Welcome Loic! I'm honored that we contributed to your MF adventure and that you've had success picking up what appears to be an wonderful kit. Anyone who buys the NOCT gets my attention...

Since you've been following this thread for some time, I don't need to encourage you to jump in.. you've done that and clearly understand how things are done around here... We share photos and talk about lenses... pretty simple really.

I'm delighted we have another person from Europe contributing to this thread. I'm sure Philippe will be happy to have another Frenchman but with Georg in Germany, Mark and Roland in Switzerland, Ronny in Sweden and eventually Rinie from Rotterdam, you'll have plenty of company on that side of the world. The thread seems to be active most of the day but time differences do happen and having more folks in Europe will give everyone additional folks with whom to chat.

So welcome and enjoy yourself. This is a very easy place to hang out. Have fun!

A warm welcome Loic. Looking forward to more of your work. As you have been following us for a while, you all ready know that some of the "ringleaders" around here will have your NMFAS in full swing!
Scott

mp356

Went out to the tracks tonight. A few images taken with the 200 f4 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

Scott, you make me want to go out and do some train benching. We don't have a lot of lines with consistent or predictable cars rolling through. Great shots, love the heat waves blasting out of the second.

DTOB

This is the Fairmont, directly across the street from our apartment.

They had a pretty major fire recently, one whole corner of the roof caved in and 5 or 6 suites were totaled, the rest all had major smoke damage. Came in over a million dollars.

With us being on the 6th floor, and this building only being 4 stories, we had a pretty good view of the aftermath.

This man was assigned to protect the building, and to keep anyone from entering while the building was repaired. I'd imagine he was out there for 3 weeks or so. Never reading, never texting or talking on the phone. Just sitting and observing the world around him, keeping a close eye on anyone approaching his position.

He really didn't want me to take this picture. He initially got up and rushed toward me with his had in front of his face. It was a bit alarming. I reassured him and explained that I didn't wish to interrupt his duties, and would you please just sit back down and relax, I'm not a bad guy.

After a few attempts to take the photo, and a few times where he was half way getting up again, he finally settled in and even offered a slight smile.

55/1.2 S.C @ f2

DSC_7160 by DEETEEOHBEE, on Flickr

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13094

Very nice Dylan... great story and wonderful photo. You could have gone BW but the bleakness of the scene contrasts nicely with the warmth of the door and the inside of the building. I imagine this fellow is very happy to have a job... even if if involves sitting all day with his eye on passing strangers... including those with camera in hand. You handled it very well.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13094

Nice set Scott. The rail photo hits my sweet spot. Very well done with one of our favorite lenses, the 200 f/4. I really need to get out shooting...

StonePhotog
Total Posts: 117

I finally had a chance to get out and take some shots this afternoon. I was mainly testing out a new AF lens, but I took along the 180 ais and snapped the following shots at a lake near work. Enjoy.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4634

Before I catch up on the thread, I have a question for the experts. Can Nikon fix a lose focusing AIS lens? My 50mm f/1.2 AIS focuses in what I would say a loose way; the opposite of a stiff focusing lens. I would guess that a loose focusing lens needs more grease, which should be easy to apply. So I'm wondering if anyone has restored a lens this way. Should I call up Nikon and have this done to my 50mm f/1.2 lens? It would be perfect if it had a bit slower focus. I hope that this can be done.

Thanks for any suggestions!

DTOB

CGrindahl wrote:
Very nice Dylan... great story and wonderful photo. You could have gone BW but the bleakness of the scene contrasts nicely with the warmth of the door and the inside of the building. I imagine this fellow is very happy to have a job... even if if involves sitting all day with his eye on passing strangers... including those with camera in hand. You handled it very well.

Thank you Curtis.

I'm not sure exactly why I didn't go B&W on this, but I'll offer a guess.

I think part of the reason is that I didn't want to lose him amongst all the other textures and patterns that make up the doorway. The photo was meant to be about him, and the job he took so seriously (on a pretty quiet street....most times). Him being in a black security guard outfit, I think he stands out better with it being in colour with, as you've mentioned, the warm light coming from inside.

I also really like the character of the old brick, even though it isn't prominent, and the wear patterns on the door framing. This building could tell some tales, of that I am positive.

DTOB

rattymouse wrote:
Before I catch up on the thread, I have a question for the experts. Can Nikon fix a lose focusing AIS lens? My 50mm f/1.2 AIS focuses in what I would say a loose way; the opposite of a stiff focusing lens. I would guess that a loose focusing lens needs more grease, which should be easy to apply. So I'm wondering if anyone has restored a lens this way. Should I call up Nikon and have this done to my 50mm f/1.2 lens? It would be perfect if it had a bit slower focus. I hope that this can be done.

If it were mine, I would read up on doing it myself (or keep it loose...my 28/2 AIS is very quick and I think it feels perfect). If you aren't comfortable with home surgery, perhaps there is someone local? I've got a camera repair shop a short bike ride away, they are fantastic and are Nikon authorized.

In any event, the answer should be yes. Pretty sure there are different viscosity greases available that would change the feel of the lens dramatically.

rattymouse

DTOB wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

If it were mine, I would read up on doing it myself (or keep it loose...my 28/2 AIS is very quick and I think it feels perfect). If you aren't comfortable with home surgery, perhaps there is someone local? I've got a camera repair shop a short bike ride away, they are fantastic and are Nikon authorized.

In any event, the answer should be yes. Pretty sure there are different viscosity greases available that would change the feel of the lens dramatically.

I dont think I should do it myself. There is a Nikon service center close to my house as well as several camera repair shops. I am guessing it should be pretty easy to re-grease a lens. Mine is so loose that I feel my focusing accuracy suffers. The shutter on my S5 fires hard enough to move the focus ring!! I think it is better on my FM2 but I still would like it less loose.

Thanks!

rattymouse

DTOB wrote:

DSC_7160 by DEETEEOHBEE, on Flickr

Very nice portrait! And excellent work getting the shot!

rattymouse

Wonderful train shots mp! Really well done. I can almost hear their horns blowing.

rattymouse

mp356 wrote:
raboof wrote:
I felt obligated to use my 300mm f4.5 this morning. This one with the TC-14B

Lovely Chuong.

Awesome clarity!

rattymouse

MDoc9523 wrote:
24mm 2.8 AIS

I LOVE the use of the fence in the 1st and 3rd shot. Great perspective.

rattymouse

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Great shot everyone

D700 + Nikkor 28 f2.8 Ai-s

D700 + Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Dang but that's sharp!

rattymouse

85mm f/2.0 AIS lens w/ Kodak Ektar film in my FM2.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2413

Thanks

Great shot James,Chuong, Ratty, Scott and Ray

1       2       3              3169      
       3171              4241       4242       end