Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3101

1       2       3              3101      
       3103              4306       4307       end

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2639

Another species eating fruits of Callicarpa reevesii:

Palm Tanager, under light rain

Palm Tanager eating Callicarpa reevesii fruits under light rain by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 ais EDIF + tripod, ISO 800, f/8 at 1/400s; ~ 40% crop.
Even under rain these guys need to eat

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13175

Oosty wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I'm a sucker for a pretty blonde... Taken at the water's edge in Sausalito with the 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF on a monopod.

Nice images Curtis - the things you'll do to get Reagan back on the thread

How well you know him Peter... Of course, our French companion is only slightly less susceptible to a pretty woman. Honestly, it is probably more a matter of degree when it comes to men's appreciation of beauty in women. I'm definitely susceptible to beauty, though often it moves me most when the beauty radiates from the heart. I've known a few physically beautiful women whose lives have been much troubled because they couldn't get beyond being an object of appeal to men. Actually, it saddens me to witness young girls playing to the attention by dressing and acting provocatively. Being the prettiest woman and the smartest man isn't always a blessing... But life is a journey and we all have our own lessons to learn.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9457

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm a sucker for a pretty blonde... Taken at the water's edge in Sausalito with the 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF on a monopod.

Oosty wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:
How well you know him Peter... Of course, our French companion is only slightly less susceptible to a pretty woman. Honestly, it is probably more a matter of degree when it comes to men's appreciation of beauty in women. I'm definitely susceptible to beauty, though often it moves me most when the beauty radiates from the heart. I've known a few physically beautiful women whose lives have been much troubled because they couldn't get beyond being an object of appeal to men. Actually, it saddens me to witness young girls playing to the attention by dressing and acting provocatively. Being the prettiest woman and the smartest man isn't always a blessing... But life is a journey and we all have our own lessons to learn.

Shoot! I guess I better stop trying to be so durn looking good!

CGrindahl

And here I thought you were going to claim a position on the "smartest man" list...

leighton w
Total Posts: 9457

CGrindahl wrote:
And here I thought you were going to claim a position on the "smartest man" list...

Make that the "simple man" list and I'm in!

Have you ever read the story of the Mexican Fisherman? He's my hero.

CGrindahl

We are suddenly rich in street photographers... adding Steve to Tom and Dylan with an occasional dash of Philippe and Ben.

Definitely enjoying your sense of humor Steve and I've no doubt with his arms crossed, that man was not happy with what was coming his way. Definitely keep the photos coming.

Dylan, as I've said before, Silver Efex Pro is a natural for you. The more you get into the options available for conversions, the more fun you'll have. I've been exploring the various film options and the filters offered. I agree with Dave that I get as much pleasure out of post processing as I do taking the photo in the first place. And BW work really makes sense in quite a number of circumstances, especially doing street work. I think it ia a great investment.

With regard to Vancouver, I was sorely disappointed that Canada made it so difficult for my wife and I to attend school there. I was accepted in the school of architecture. But we could get into Canada only two ways, and neither of them allowed my wife to work, despite the fact she'd gotten an offer to teach in Burnaby. We needed her income to make the whole thing work. If we'd gone landed immigrant status, it could only happen based on my work experience as a computer programmer/systems analyst and that meant I'd be working rather than going to school. So I ended up in a graduate program at U of W for non-architecture undergraduates. But we regularly took weekends in Vancouver, which is a beautiful, cosmopolitan city that I've always loved. Especially after returning from time in Europe. Vancouver had so much charm. Hope you're able to pull it off...

CGrindahl

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Make that the "simple man" list and I'm in!

Have you ever read the story of the Mexican Fisherman? He's my hero.

That's why I said the "smart man" gets in trouble even as the "beautiful woman" does. FAR better to be a simple man who enjoys the simple pleasures of life. Being the smartest man in the room is in the long run not very much fun...

I'll check out the Mexican Fisherman. If you have a link you could share it...

CGrindahl

Here it is...

An executive from America was standing at the pier of a Mexican village, taking a much needed vacation. It was his first in more than 10 years. He noticed a small boat with just one fisherman had docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The executive complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.
The Mexican replied, “only a little while.”

The executive then asked, “why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?”

The Mexican replied, “I have enough to support my family for a little while.”

The executive then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, and stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life.”

The executive scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then?”

The American laughed and said that’s the best part. “When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions.. Then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

CGrindahl

I left my full time job when I was 47... I haven't worked at any job full-time since then. I'll never be rich, but then MF lenses are pretty cheap...

mp356
Total Posts: 4331

asiostygius wrote:
Another species eating fruits of Callicarpa reevesii:

Palm Tanager, under light rain

Palm Tanager eating Callicarpa reevesii fruits under light rain by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 ais EDIF + tripod, ISO 800, f/8 at 1/400s; ~ 40% crop.
Even under rain these guys need to eat

Very nice Jose. I like the capture of the light rain drops as part of the composition. If you were farther North, I would have suspected fine SNOW.

designdog
Total Posts: 198

CGrindahl wrote:
Here it is...

An executive from America was standing at the pier of a Mexican village, taking a much needed vacation. It was his first in more than 10 years. He noticed a small boat with just one fisherman had docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The executive complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.
The Mexican replied, “only a little while.”

The executive then asked, “why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?”

The Mexican replied, “I have enough to support my family for a little while.”

The executive then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, and stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life.”

The executive scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then?”

The American laughed and said that’s the best part. “When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions.. Then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

My favorite, as expressed to me by my European staff:

"What do you call someone who speaks three languages?"
"Trilingual."

"What do you call someone who speaks two languages?"
"Bilingual."

"What do you call someone who speaks one language?"
"American."

I immediately completed my French training course...

Stokesey
Total Posts: 813

Curtis there is a reason that Rochester Minn. has covered walk-ways everywhere, partly due to sick people at the Mayo clinics. But I've been there with a manufacturing company in the winter, and I have to say it's a shock to the system. Company manufacture Business Machines on an International basis. (I'm sure you can work it out)

I do understand your reasons for the move west though.

asiostygius I love your bird pix. I so wish we had some exotic birds like that in the UK. I must post some of what we have though.

Now following on the street theme,

Curtis can you imagine what that poor fellow sat down with all the negative body language would have done if she have used this contraption ?

Steve

Stokesey

Oooooops ...

180mm @ f4 ISO 400 - 1/160th

Steve

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3013

Steve, great street shots. Keep'em coming!

Oosty
Total Posts: 4039

Zichar wrote:
Haha lovely images Steve, and the captions are hilarious!

Absolutely agree - all very funny

CGrindahl

There were enclosed walkways at the second level laced throughout Minneapolis when I worked on one of the IBM computers for Cargill, the international grain handling firm. But that was so long ago Steve, you've likely only experienced the computers I worked on in a museum... They were 360 machines, one at 64k and the other at 128k. I shake my head when I look at my iMac with 16 gigabytes of RAM.

The walkways were nice, but one still had to go outside, chip the ice off the windshield and slide one's way back home where it might be necessary to shovel the driveway before parking... I always said that living in a climate like that requires an hour of preparation from putting on and taking off boots, to warming the car with a tank heater that was plugged in all night so the engine would turn over in the morning, to chipping ice and driving slowly on icy streets. I recall driving down a parkway and having my 1960 Pontiac Bonneville convertible slide out from control and do a 180 degree turn with me sliding backwards down the boulevard. Fortunately, I didn't hit anything and simply backed into a driveway so I could turn around. I don't miss that AT ALL!

Oosty
Total Posts: 4039

CGrindahl wrote:
Oosty wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Well, I'll never be the prettiest woman ................

(Tongue very firmly in cheek!)

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3013

There are cows everywhere here ....

Stokesey

Thanx Zichar and Oosty

A little humour makes the world go round a little easier I think.

This wish tree has some interesting messages from young people.

One says "MANNERS - Teach all your children manners and respect" by Lily

Another seems a little more materialistic, but "Every year Kids should get a Christmas Bonus from the Government (Probably around £100)" or about $160

Interesting what the worlds youth think about. And wish for.

I've heard about the wish of Curtis for a 500mm f4 and 200mm f2 so perhaps I should go put it on the tree for you Curtis.

Steve

CGrindahl

Didn't you know Peter that "bald is beautiful..."

And a quick wit goes a very long way...

1       2       3              3101      
       3103              4306       4307       end