Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3098

1       2       3              3098      
3099
       3100              5890       5891       end

leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

Lieutenant Z wrote:
1st one is great Leighton, really like the framing
Bert,#2 has a special but interesting bokeh, well done! I like the old bike too.


Thank you Philippe.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Bert outstanding views and bokeh play. Love your photos!
Leighton nice flowers and more bokeh. The child on the pavement is fantastic! Stop with the 50mm 1.2 I keep thinking I need one too
Rafael nothing more beautiful than those camera photos and the dresses one those beautiful ladies as well as being wonderfully framed WOW



Lieutenant Z
Registered: Nov 21, 2010
Total Posts: 3777
Country: France

This modest picture is dedicated to the memory of the commandant Hélie Denoix de Saint Marc who passed away last tuesday
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/10268048/Helie-de-Saint-Marc.html
More Majorum.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
Zichar wrote:
I just got in from my flight, I shudder to think of the pages that have whooshed past since Thurs morning!

I had almost wanted to update Tom; by Fri night, I had only taken 15 shots. 'Challenge failed' I wanted to say. Then in a flurry, the locality changed, and the muse struck. A roll in 5 hrs when the previous had taken 7 months. Now I need to figure out how to get them processed.

I did miss the instant feedback from digital. A lot. Fretting how they'd turn out. Plus doing a pano seemed like a somewhat extravagant waste of film. I wanted colour when I had b&w loaded. And then when I had colour loaded, well... you know the rest.

I also think I need to rejig my kit - a phrase like throwing buckets of chum to this thread's sharks - I brought the 35/2 AIS and 50. Found myself wanting just a wee bit wider. Maybe 35 isn't really my perfect walk around...


Did I hear chum?

28 f/2.8, AI-s 28 f/2 AI-s, 24 f/2.8 AI-s, 20 f/2.8 AI-s... does that help at all Chin?



I'll bite!



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
Bert outstanding views and bokeh play. Love your photos!
Leighton nice flowers and more bokeh. The child on the pavement is fantastic! Stop with the 50mm 1.2 I keep thinking I need one too
Rafael nothing more beautiful than those camera photos and the dresses one those beautiful ladies as well as being wonderfully framed WOW


Thanks Ray, and yes, you DO need one. It would round out your kit.



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 16784
Country: United States

Quite a gig you have their Rafael... having beautiful women posing for you like that. This is a wonderful series of images... and yes, the 55, especially the older versions with the metal focusing ring, is a great lens to use. I'll doubtless pull mine out today and do a bit of shooting inside my friend's home.

This friend asked if I'd be willing to take a few photos of her sister's jewelry collection, which I did perhaps six months ago. Those photos first ended up in a magazine and on Friday I got a copy of a newly published book in which one of those photos was used. Contemporary jewelry design doesn't hold much interest for me but I was honored to have one of my photos used. And the friends I'll visit today inhabit that world so I'll likely take a few more photos of art works on display in their home. Always fun to be given an opportunity to take a few photos...



Stokesey
Registered: Apr 18, 2012
Total Posts: 1543
Country: United Kingdom

Come on Samy

Get your 500mm f4P out and used. Jose and I would love to see what you can do with it. I love what you do with other lenses. So time to work those muscles .... or at least the tripod.

Here are a couple of our local young UK Robin using the 300mm f2.8 ISO800 1/2000 @f4

Steve



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Bert outstanding views and bokeh play. Love your photos!
Leighton nice flowers and more bokeh. The child on the pavement is fantastic! Stop with the 50mm 1.2 I keep thinking I need one too
Rafael nothing more beautiful than those camera photos and the dresses one those beautiful ladies as well as being wonderfully framed WOW


Thanks Ray, and yes, you DO need one. It would round out your kit.


After using the AF 18-35 I am thinking my next goal might be an 18 or 20mm. I wasn't sure I would like wider than 24mm but I really do



Stokesey
Registered: Apr 18, 2012
Total Posts: 1543
Country: United Kingdom

Taken today using a 28mm f3.5 recently acquired

I can't wait to get my hands on the f2.8 version.

Took the sky shot with a Nikon Circ Pola Filter hence the vignetting

The flower shot with on-board flash of the D700 @ f8

The outdoor green tomatoes, natural light @ f8 @ 1/320 ISO200

Do you need a crop for the stand at the market Leighton??


Steve



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4683
Country: United States

Stokesey wrote:
Taken today using a 28mm f3.5 recently acquired

I can't wait to get my hands on the f2.8 version.

Took the sky shot with a Nikon Circ Pola Filter hence the vignetting

The flower shot with on-board flash of the D700 @ f8

The outdoor green tomatoes, natural light @ f8 @ 1/320 ISO200

Do you need a crop for the stand at the market Leighton??


Steve


These are great. The only reason to get the faster lens would be to get the 28/2.8 AIS. I have the 28/3.5 and I love it. I have a Series E 28/2.8 that has been shelved for the slower/older version.



Ronny Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 5069
Country: Sweden

Great shot erveryone !!
Extra + Bert and Leighton



NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 2487
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
Quite a gig you have their Rafael... having beautiful women posing for you like that. This is a wonderful series of images... and yes, the 55, especially the older versions with the metal focusing ring, is a great lens to use. I'll doubtless pull mine out today and do a bit of shooting inside my friend's home.

This friend asked if I'd be willing to take a few photos of her sister's jewelry collection, which I did perhaps six months ago. Those photos first ended up in a magazine and on Friday I got a copy of a newly published book in which one of those photos was used. Contemporary jewelry design doesn't hold much interest for me but I was honored to have one of my photos used. And the friends I'll visit today inhabit that world so I'll likely take a few more photos of art works on display in their home. Always fun to be given an opportunity to take a few photos...


Volunteer work Curtis, it takes only a couple of beautifully dressed women and I am there ready to take the photos. Plus I am old enough to have lived some of the historical times they honor.


Something I never hear people say when choosing manual focus lenses is that the bigger aperture lenses are easier to focus than the smaller aperture ones, no I am not saying that the 50mm 1.2 is easier to focus fully open than the 2.0, BUT I am saying that the 50mm 1.2 focused at full aperture, electronically or visually, is far more likely to be in good focus at 2.0 than the 2.0 would be.

say again?!



Ronny Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 5069
Country: Sweden


Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

rafaelcasd wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Quite a gig you have their Rafael... having beautiful women posing for you like that. This is a wonderful series of images... and yes, the 55, especially the older versions with the metal focusing ring, is a great lens to use. I'll doubtless pull mine out today and do a bit of shooting inside my friend's home.

This friend asked if I'd be willing to take a few photos of her sister's jewelry collection, which I did perhaps six months ago. Those photos first ended up in a magazine and on Friday I got a copy of a newly published book in which one of those photos was used. Contemporary jewelry design doesn't hold much interest for me but I was honored to have one of my photos used. And the friends I'll visit today inhabit that world so I'll likely take a few more photos of art works on display in their home. Always fun to be given an opportunity to take a few photos...


Volunteer work Curtis, it takes only a couple of beautifully dressed women and I am there ready to take the photos. Plus I am old enough to have lived some of the historical times they honor.


Something I never hear people say when choosing manual focus lenses is that the bigger aperture lenses are easier to focus than the smaller aperture ones, no I am not saying that the 50mm 1.2 is easier to focus fully open than the 2.0, BUT I am saying that the 50mm 1.2 focused at full aperture, electronically or visually, is far more likely to be in good focus at 2.0 than the 2.0 would be.

say again?!


Exactly, just as the 35mm 1.4 is sharper at F2 than the 35mm F2 at F2



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4683
Country: United States

Want to see what 8:1 looks like? Here you go! (I know the focus is a bit off, I took these outdoors in available light and it was windy...merely a test). 150mm worth of extension tubes with a reversed 28/3.5 in front and my D7000 of course. I believe f/11 to get some DOF. At this magnification, you can see every little dust speck on the sensor and lens...

Both shots are from a Dianthus flower which is smaller than a US quarter.


_DSC0417 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

The top of the stamen is less than 1mm.


_DSC0418 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

Stokesey wrote:
Taken today using a 28mm f3.5 recently acquired

The outdoor green tomatoes, natural light @ f8 @ 1/320 ISO200

Do you need a crop for the stand at the market Leighton??

Steve







Ha ha, I would, but we're a "producer only" market.


kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4683
Country: United States

Recently at the college I work at, we celebrated convocation. The school has a photographer, but I asked if they could use one more. They said yes! The campus guy wasn't really into the event, I saw him sitting half the time and he got VERY frustrated when the chancellor decided to leave the stage and the lit areas to walk among the staff. I was frustrated too, but I didn't curse like he did. The guy was a jerk and from my vantage point, I could see all the shots he took as he scrolled through... Campus didn't get what they paid for.

Anyhoo! I almost exclusively used my Nikkor-Q 135/2.8. I love the lens, just haven't really had an opportunity to really learn it. Nearly every shot is at ISO4000. Also, the light on stage was a mix of white and red light, so post work was tough (I didn't have my flash with me).

Chancellor of the college


_DSC0106 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Very dark when I took this one, the processing made me think of an old color newspaper print.


_DSC0122 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

President of the school I work at.


_DSC0147 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

My artistic shot of the day.


_DSC0148 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4683
Country: United States

Few odds and ends from the last weeks...

Early morning light on the library... Series E 50mm


_DSC0070 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Reflections (Series E 50mm wide open at 1.8) Focus point is the reflection.


_DSC0390 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Incredible blue (50/1.8E, graduated filter that I borrowed)


_DSC0397 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Oh, my macro rig... Sorry that its not taken with Nikon glass, but I thought you all might be interested in seeing it..


Untitled by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

kwoodard wrote:
Recently at the college I work at, we celebrated convocation. The school has a photographer, but I asked if they could use one more. They said yes! The campus guy wasn't really into the event, I saw him sitting half the time and he got VERY frustrated when the chancellor decided to leave the stage and the lit areas to walk among the staff. I was frustrated too, but I didn't curse like he did. The guy was a jerk and from my vantage point, I could see all the shots he took as he scrolled through... Campus didn't get what they paid for.

Anyhoo! I almost exclusively used my Nikkor-Q 135/2.8. I love the lens, just haven't really had an opportunity to really learn it. Nearly every shot is at ISO4000. Also, the light on stage was a mix of white and red light, so post work was tough (I didn't have my flash with me).

My artistic shot of the day.


_DSC0148 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr


All of them are nice Kevin, But I like this one the best. I hope you were shooting raw.



the solitaire
Registered: Jun 22, 2013
Total Posts: 2122
Country: Germany

rafaelcasd wrote:
leighton w wrote:
the solitaire wrote:
Those ants remind me of how me and my girlfriend get along at this moment. We're both exhausted from moving apartments without anyone assisting in carrying furniture or the like. I really like that picture though.

@Bert, that 2nd picture is a winner! Awesome composition.

@Leighton, I did not find the time to reply before, but that picture of the sheep in the early morning fog is beautiful. One of the most inspiring pictures I have seen in quite a while.

Because I still can't upload pictures but can read and enjoy the photographic experience of manual focus Nikon lenses I spend too much time thinking about lenses.

As a result I'm in for some more lens discussion.

I really like the OoF rendering of my 50mm f2 Ai lens but for some social events in dim light an extra stop might come in handy. Reduced DoF always comes in handy for that matter.

I don't have the funds for a 50 f1.2 Ai-S at the time but I was so pleasantly surprised by tbe performance of the 105 f2.5 P.C I bought a little while back that I started thinking the old scalloped 50mm f1.4 S Ai'd might be a nice addition to my slowly growing collection of Nikon lenses.

Any thoughts on or experience with this lens is greatly appreciated.


I can't help you Buddy. All I've used is the 50/1.2 which I love. But the 50/2 images I've seen posted on here have been nothing but great. The OOF rendering like you said is very nice.


If you just want a scalloped 50mm 1.4 by all means get it, they are beautiful and a pleasure to use. The bokeh is not as good (smooth) as the 2.0 and at 1.4 the image loses some quality, not just DOF.

Nikon F with 100 VS by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5cm f 2 S D3 Taken with D200 by Rafael CA, on Flickr


Image Quality is as good as the 2.0 but not better than. Here is a D800 Sample with a crop.

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.4 SC D800 two peaks san marcos downtown by Rafael CA, on Flickr


nikon nikkor 50mm 1.4 SC D800 two peaks san marcos downtown crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr


Thank you for the example shots and lens porn

Looks like the lens renders really nicely on the D800. For me it's not that I want a scalloped 50mm because of it's exterior. It's the optics that I find interesting, and from your sample shot it looks as if I could really like the results of the 50 f1.4 S.C lens.

Just missed out on a 50 f1.2 that sold for $200 because I forgot to click the save button on my bidsniper software

@ Kevin, great shots with the 135mm. I never managed to get a sharp picture out of my copy. I really am impressed by the first shot in the series. The chancellor in B/W



1       2       3              3098      
3099
       3100              5890       5891       end