Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3073

1       2       3              3073      
       3075              4149       4150       end

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4479

pburke wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

Since shooting film, I have bought TWO cameras. My Fuji GA645 and Nikon FM2. Total price, $600. I'm two years into this with the GA645 and have no itch to move on. At all. The cost of these manual focus lenses are just hilarious compared to my other lenses. My Canon 85 L alone cost more than my 4 AIS lenses!! Same thing with my Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 lens.

there are clearly different perspectives on this, and that's because of how we use our cameras. Back in my film days, I used to shoot $600 of film in a single weekend, making film and processing my most expensive photographic expense each year. Now that digital is finally as good and better than film, I actually see a D600 as a money saving camera, and it costs the same as my EOS-1n bodies used to cost!

I stopped taking pictures between 2001 and 2008 because a) high quality digital was expensive, and more importantly b) it wasn't as good as film. Now digital is better and cheaper. Shooting film for me will be a nostalgic experience from here on, similar to firing up your old fossil fuel car for a spin around town will be in 20 years or so.

I'm not a pro, so I never have an immediate need to get shots of any kind. I shoot just for fun and as such, leave the house with 2 or 3 at most rolls of film. I've never gotten to that third roll yet. 72 images a day is more than enough.

rattymouse

pburke wrote:
Three more detail shots of the 1975 McLaren - these all with the 105mm f/2.5

f/5.6 1/320s ISO 100

f/5.6 1/400s ISO 100

f/2.5 1/640s ISO 100

Wonderful DFV shots!! God I'd love to hear the sound of that engine roar.

rattymouse

D76 definitely works on Neopan.

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I'm currently enjoying the process of developing and printing, even if I don't like the assignments. I may continue on with B&W film afterwards, at least as long as they keep making it. Question for Ratty, the same D76 works on the Neopan too?

Love this article, too. Would that I had the time/money to do that sort of travel without worries

leighton w wrote:
saph wrote:
Just caame across this New York Times photoblog - Photographing the part of Buddhism that can't be seen.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/the-inner-lives-of-buddhist-monks/?src=twrhp

rattymouse wrote:
What a fantastic article. Truly outstanding find. Thank you for sharing! I have photographed Buddhist temples all across Asia. Far more than I can count, and sadly far more than I can remember. I wish I had the names of all the temples I have been to. I've been to 30 or more temples in Japan alone, 20 or so in Thailand, 10-15 in Taiwan, 10 or so in Singapore, around 15 in Korea, 50 or more in China(!) and one in the US (my home temple, still the finest temple I've ever seen).

I of course agree when the author wrote, "he discovered that Buddhism and photography have much in common, including observation, empathy and being fully in the moment."

That [to me] is what film photography is all about, being in the moment. I take the shot, and it's done. No chimping, no checking, no reshooting. For me, digital photography became a way to lose the moment. Always chimping after a shot, always shooting more than necessary, coming back from a day's shoot with hundreds of photographs, filling up hard drive after hard drive with tens of thousands of images.

I wanted to get back to the meditative style of photography and digital was not leading me there. Somehow I stumbled onto a Nikon FM2 and peace returned!

Interesting article, and interesting perspective you have on photography RM. But for me, I'm just the opposite. Digital has made me MORE into photography than I ever was with film. Having the freedom to shoot as much as I like without the worry of spending the money for film and processing. I'm also very much into the post production side of this art, probably as much as the picture taking itself. I did develop B&W myself in the old days, but color developing was out of my reach.

I say all of that to say this...photography is different for all that enjoy it and there's no wrong way, it's all good.

rattymouse

MDoc9523 wrote:
While it is true that $7800 will buy a lot of film and processing, there is the instant gratification mode that I find myself craving most of the time. I can say that because of that I would NOT make a very good Buddhist. Digital for me

Absolutely NO offense intended, just my opinion here so please happily disagree with me. But I find the need for instant gratification in the world today (not just in photography) to be very problematic. All around me I see people who seem incapable of waiting even the shortest amount of time, for anything.

Waiting to see my images for 5-6 days was hard at first, and even still is for a bit. But dealing with this delay is one not so minor part of my daily practice now.

rattymouse

CGrindahl wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
saph wrote:
Just caame across this New York Times photoblog - Photographing the part of Buddhism that can't be seen.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/the-inner-lives-of-buddhist-monks/?src=twrhp

What a fantastic article. Truly outstanding find. Thank you for sharing! I have photographed Buddhist temples all across Asia. Far more than I can count, and sadly far more than I can remember. I wish I had the names of all the temples I have been to. I've been to 30 or more temples in Japan alone, 20 or so in Thailand, 10-15 in Taiwan, 10 or so in Singapore, around 15 in Korea, 50 or more in China(!) and one in the US (my home temple, still the finest temple I've ever seen).

I of course agree when the author wrote, "he discovered that Buddhism and photography have much in common, including observation, empathy and being fully in the moment."

That [to me] is what film photography is all about, being in the moment. I take the shot, and it's done. No chimping, no checking, no reshooting. For me, digital photography became a way to lose the moment. Always chimping after a shot, always shooting more than necessary, coming back from a day's shoot with hundreds of photographs, filling up hard drive after hard drive with tens of thousands of images.

I wanted to get back to the meditative style of photography and digital was not leading me there. Somehow I stumbled onto a Nikon FM2 and peace returned!

I followed the entire conversation that flowed from this post but thought I'd begin here largely because your thoughts definitely resonate with me even though I shoot digital rather than film. But first I'm curious about your "home" Buddhist temple in the U.S. that you describe as the finest you've seen. I don't know whether you're speaking of Odiyan Retreat Center in northern California. I spent time at the Nyingma Institute in Berkeley during the years this center was contemplated and then began. I've not made a visit but it surely is a spectacular undertaking.

No, I have never been to California, aside from a short 15 hour stay to see a concert. I was talking about the Zen Buddhist Temple of Chicago. A very simple building, made from a 100 year old Pentecostal church. One would not claim this as any great temple from viewing it outside. It is beautiful, but so are most of the other one's I have visited. What I like about this temple is it is Buddhism stripped of it's mythology and of its religion. Pure Zen Buddhism- self help, self responsibility, constant effort towards your own salvation. Temples in Asia that I visit are mostly there for practitioners to pray in. To pray for money, luck, good health. No place for silence and meditation. Certainly no place for compassion at Chinese temples. A person will visit a temple here in Shanghai, pray for good luck or good health, then head out to a food market right across the street and have a bird, turtle, frog, or fish killed for their next meal. Right in front of them! Such a juxtaposition of these two events is inconceivable at my "home" temple.

Anyway, it is a habit of mine. Even though most temples I visit leave me disappointed, I still search them out and photograph them, if just for the architecture.

pburke
Total Posts: 1904

kwoodard wrote:

Speaking of that, I can get a few rolls of film rather inexpensively and would like to start slowly getting some. Is it better to keep it stored in the refrigerator or the freezer?

freezer. I still have E6 film I bought in 2001 and it will be just fine when I decide to shoot that true vintage Velvia...

pburke

rattymouse wrote:

for more DFV engine shots, check out the Some 14mm Samyang Love thread here in the Nikon forum. I posted some with the ultra wide lens there.

Given your 3 rolls of film approach I would have failed miserably when surrounded with all those potential images on Saturday. I almost took 72 images of that car alone, with various lenses, on and off track (mostly because the owner was nice to me and let me have full access to everything and I wanted some good pix for him to have). I only had about an hour in the paddock and a lot of cars to visit. Not a meditative day at all and the shooting was not "relaxing" at all, much more like hard work like in the old days when I had to get the shots (on film). However, I now have a pile of images to play with on post which is a part of the process I really enjoy and can do whenever I want, not just on the one day I have time to attend an event in summer.

pburke

rattymouse wrote:

Waiting to see my images for 5-6 days was hard at first, and even still is for a bit. But dealing with this delay is one not so minor part of my daily practice now.

I have about 30 rolls of film I exposed in 2001 and never processed. No rush, I am still waiting on those, or, more accurately, I am waiting on my motivation to build to pay the $250 to have them processed to see some now historic race track work.

I read somewhere film only gets outdated when it's not been exposed, but once exposed you can put it on a shelf and wait a decade or more. Maybe that's wrong, because I certainly didn't freeze these rolls. The other reason I haven't processed them is that I forgot which ones were in the "push 1 stop" pile... expensive gamble on E6 to process them the wrong way.

rattymouse

pburke wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

I have about 30 rolls of film I exposed in 2001 and never processed. No rush, I am still waiting on those, or, more accurately, I am waiting on my motivation to build to pay the $250 to have them processed to see some now historic race track work.

I read somewhere film only gets outdated when it's not been exposed, but once exposed you can put it on a shelf and wait a decade or more. Maybe that's wrong, because I certainly didn't freeze these rolls. The other reason I haven't processed them is that I forgot which ones were in the "push 1 stop" pile... expensive gamble on E6 to process them the wrong way.

That's definitely incorrect. Exposed film ages just as unexposed. The chemicals age thermodynamically as well as from being exposed to low level background radiation over time.

I would get them developed if there is anything at all interesting on them.

rattymouse

pburke wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

for more DFV engine shots, check out the Some 14mm Samyang Love thread here in the Nikon forum. I posted some with the ultra wide lens there.

Given your 3 rolls of film approach I would have failed miserably when surrounded with all those potential images on Saturday. I almost took 72 images of that car alone, with various lenses, on and off track (mostly because the owner was nice to me and let me have full access to everything and I wanted some good pix for him to have). I only had about an hour in the paddock and a lot of cars to visit. Not a meditative day at all and the shooting was not "relaxing" at all, much more like hard work like in the old days when I had to get the shots (on film). However, I now have a pile of images to play with on post which is a part of the process I really enjoy and can do whenever I want, not just on the one day I have time to attend an event in summer.

Was this shoot for work?

pburke

rattymouse wrote:
pburke wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

Was this shoot for work?

not this time. More of a test if I would want to do this again. I used to do this for more than 15 weekends a year, 3 days, plus travel days. Didn't leave much time for anything else on top of a full time job.

mp356
Total Posts: 4246

DTOB wrote:
I would have retaken that shot....if my wife had stopped moving. "Hey come back here and walk that way again" doesn't really work for me.

There were a few shots of the engine rooms where I was leaning dangerously out over a rail, using live view with my arm fully extended, trying to shoot down at all the machinery that I had to just accept the fact that I could not get the shot without my legs and knees in the photo. It was either walk away, or fall 12 feet on to my head. Still not sure I made the right choice. .

Hey Dylan, maybe I missed this earlier, but what ship is this?

mp356

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here's a couple of shots using the D7000 and the 16mm 3.5 Taken at Disney World, Orlando, Florida

Nice series Ray. I like the clouds in the first image.

mp356

rankamateur wrote:
I have not bought anything in weeks which really makes my wife happy. It arrived yesterday and when she saw it she asked what it was. "Something I will probably never figure out how to use" Wife-"like everything else" Gotta admit, it does look good mounted.. PB-6, PK-13 and BR-2A reversing ring. Pic with the 28 2.8 AI-S

I M P R E S S I V E !

rattymouse

pburke wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
pburke wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

Was this shoot for work?

not this time. More of a test if I would want to do this again. I used to do this for more than 15 weekends a year, 3 days, plus travel days. Didn't leave much time for anything else on top of a full time job.

I asked because if for work, that is the compelling reason for shooting massive amounts of images. For personal time, one can make the case that this is not necessary. Let me explain. I shot digital full time for over 10 years. Invariably, I would always come home with 200-300 shots for every day out shooting, sometimes a lot more if in a real special location. Upon review, I would always find that I had so many shots of the same thing, that they lost all meaning to me. Dozens upon dozens of shots, with 2% or so difference from the last one. I could and did, easily cull 90% of my shots as they were useless noise. Upon reflection, I found that digital photography was making me lazy. Lazy beyond belief. My SD card had grown to 16 gigs and could hold thousands upon thousands of images. I filled it up as best I could.

For me personally, I am distinctly unhappy with photography unless I push myself and gain personal growth. It is a practice, a meditative practice as the recent author stated. For me, for some unknown reason, every advantage to digital photography seemingly works against my personal growth. I get lazier and lazier. I find that the thrill of getting the shot is severely mitigated by the fact that it takes dozens upon dozens, if not hundreds, of shots to get it.

Now shooting film, when I nail a shot, it is profoundly more satisfying because I'm doing so purely on technical skill (and luck, there's always that). I have no feedback in the field at all, no reshoots if I get it wrong, no chimping to check exposure.

Folks in this thread must understand this a bit since a lot of the reasons above also apply to the use of manual focus lenses over autofocus. I'm just taking it all the way to a logical conclusion. (Notice that I did not say THE logical conclusion, implying that there was only one).

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12936

You're certainly correct RM that the appeal of manual focus lenses comes from the fact one must slow down in preparing to take the shot, fingers of the left hand on the focus ring as we find focus. I love that moment. I'm also aware of what you describe from your experience shooting digital that i take too many photos, few of which are captivating. Sometimes I consider a shot and take it but discover only in post that there is nothing workable there. Sometimes judicious cropping will yield an image I like but often there is nothing there worth saving. That doesn't mean I necessarily delete the image. I have far too many images stored on my computer. I could afford to so some serious housecleaning on those drives.

We each find our own relationship with photography, using the gear that resonates for us moment to moment. Some folks are posting on the AF thread but that holds no interest to me, though I'm fond of everyone over there and enjoy stopping by just to say hello. MF for me all the way.

I appreciate this exchange and will likely carry it with me in coming days. I haven't picked up the camera for some time. I wonder what will happen the next time I do...

By the way, there are a number of spiritual centers in Marin where I live, including Green Gulch Zen Center and Spirit Rock Buddhist Meditation Center. I enjoy them both and neither fits your description of how Buddhism operates in China. Here the contemplative tradition is very strong in both centers, perhaps because Buddhism is a relatively recent import embraced by Americans who are estranged from their more conventional religious roots. Not surprising I guess...

rattymouse

CGrindahl wrote:
You're certainly correct RM that the appeal of manual focus lenses comes from the fact one must slow down in preparing to take the shot, fingers of the left hand on the focus ring as we find focus. I love that moment. I'm also aware of what you describe from your experience shooting digital that i take too many photos, few of which are captivating. Sometimes I consider a shot and take it but discover only in post that there is nothing workable there. Sometimes judicious cropping will yield an image I like but often there is nothing there worth saving. That doesn't mean I necessarily delete the image. I have far too many images stored on my computer. I could afford to so some serious housecleaning on those drives.

We each find our own relationship with photography, using the gear that resonates for us moment to moment. Some folks are posting on the AF thread but that holds no interest to me, though I'm fond of everyone over there and enjoy stopping by just to say hello. MF for me all the way.

I appreciate this exchange and will likely carry it with me in coming days. I haven't picked up the camera for some time. I wonder what will happen the next time I do...

By the way, there are a number of spiritual centers in Marin where I live, including Green Gulch Zen Center and Spirit Rock Buddhist Meditation Center. I enjoy them both and neither fits your description of how Buddhism operates in China. Here the contemplative tradition is very strong in both centers, perhaps because Buddhism is a relatively recent import embraced by Americans who are estranged from their more conventional religious roots. Not surprising I guess...

I am continually amazed that here in China, the land where Zen was developed and brought to the world, via Japan and Korea, there seems to be no sign or trace of it around!!

I was at at Tibetan temple in Beijing a few months ago. Beautiful place, just gorgeous. Building after building of the most magnificent architecture and spirituality. Yet all you could do there is walk up to a statue and pray. And there were a LOT of statues there. Dozens upon dozens upon dozens. All the local people were running around the temple saying prayers. I am CERTAIN that were there a statue of me in that temple somewhere, dressed in traditional garb, they'd all pray to me! Tibetan Buddhism is an enormously complex faith and I just can't believe anyone there knows the first thing about it. Buddhism is a non theistic faith! There is no god to pray to, certainly not the Buddha!

Anyway, this is waaaay off topic and far too complex a topic. Just some observations of mine while traveling across Asia.

I am not surprised that Buddhist centers in California are more authentic than here in Asia. I am sure they are most enjoyable places.

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

mp356 wrote:
DTOB wrote:
I would have retaken that shot....if my wife had stopped moving. "Hey come back here and walk that way again" doesn't really work for me.

There were a few shots of the engine rooms where I was leaning dangerously out over a rail, using live view with my arm fully extended, trying to shoot down at all the machinery that I had to just accept the fact that I could not get the shot without my legs and knees in the photo. It was either walk away, or fall 12 feet on to my head. Still not sure I made the right choice. .

Hey Dylan, maybe I missed this earlier, but what ship is this?

Actually, I never did put that bit in there.

This particular ship is the SS Keenora. Built in 1897 in Ontario's Lake of the Woods, it ran cargo and people to remote locals. After 20 years or so, it was sold to a group of Winnipeg lawyers who cut it up, shipped it here and turned it into a floating dance hall in our downtown (the "Forks" as we call it, where the Red River and the Assiniboine River meet, is right in our core). The party only lasted a year however, and then she was converted back into a cargo/passenger ship, making runs along the Red River between Winnipeg and the northern part of Lake Winnipeg until 1966.

naturesmoments
Total Posts: 1519

Greetings to all!

I have been lucking for years on the FM forums and have really learned a lot here! There are many extraordinary photographers here and I have been enjoying their work and wisdom! I have decided to become more active so here is my first post of two images taken today, (I usually shoot nature and wildlife, but love the visual arts) here are two still life shots made with Nikon Manual Focus Glass. The first photo taken with the Nikon 55mm f3.5 Micro lens (arguably one of the absolute best buys out there) and the second shot with a Nikon 35mm f2.8 lens.

Hope you find the images enjoyable!!!

rattymouse

As a vegetarian, your second shot makes me hungry! I love fresh tomatoes!

Welcome aboard!!

1       2       3              3073      
       3075              4149       4150       end