Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3072

1       2       3              3072      
       3074              5891       5892       end

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

A couple more from the LGBT Pride weekend in Manchester UK

Around the edges watchers and revellers.

Again with the 200mm f2 at ISO800

Steve

stevenvh
Total Posts: 127

leighton w wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
mp356 wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
One of many from today.

ALL the weather forecasts totally blew it as it was not supposed to be this nice today. We were supposed to do an over-night backpacking trip with just me and the twins. Instead I chose to take a walk-on ferry ride to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island for lunch and the weather was spectacular until the very last bit of the trip on the way back.

16/3.5 AI as usual.

John, nice blue tones and sunstar.

Thanks Scott - It was a rare day here in the PNW.

A few more - time for bed.

45/2.8P or 16/3.5 AI

Love this one John. A perfect use of the lens, and very well framed.

+1 great shot!

stevenvh
Total Posts: 127

leighton w wrote:
stevenvh wrote:
Hello all, great images as usual. It's a real pleasure to browse this thread when I find the time.
Recently I've used the PK-11 tube on a 135/2.8E and really like the results.

Steven, nice capture of the Copperhead. Haven't seen many of these up here, I think we're either too far north, or to high in elevation. We do however have the Timber Rattlers.

Hi Leighton, thanks for the comments all. With the tube minimum focus was @ 1 meter, so pretty close but not really dangerous.
These snakes are very common here in the NC mountains and I've only seen 1 that was aggressive. He got his head chopped off with a hoe. This one was smaller than it looks in the photo and relatively docile.
I grew up in Arlington and used to visit a friends old, family farm in Fredericksburg, along the river, and there were Copperheads everywhere and Moccasins in the ponds and creeks. Not sure why they wouldn't be common @ Staunton. I'm @ 2600' and their range covers the entire east coast.
I would never get anywhere near this close to a Timber Rattler. We've got those as well and that's a scary, dangerous snake.

cheers and watch your step!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

georgms wrote:
designdog wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

85 f/2 AI-s, 85 f/1.4 AI-s, 105 f/2.5 AI-s, 105 f/1.8 AI-s, 135 f/2.8 AI, 135 f/2 AI-s

At 620 grams the f/1.4 weighs more than either the D or G versions of the lens. The lens hood is a screw-in hood which complicates removing the lens cap. I had to buy a center snap cap so I could remove it more easily with the lens hood in place. Of course, the same is true for the D. The 105 and 135 with their built in hoods are much more elegant to use.

But what I would suggest, is that you consider an earlier pre-AI lens, the 85 f/1.8 H.C. that was the lens we sent around the world during our Great Lens Adventure. Folks were sufficiently impressed that quite a number bought their own copy. I bought an earlier H version which performs beautifully as well though it lacks the lens coating from in the H.C. and K versions. I don't know whether you can mount pre-AI lenses on your film camera, but you might enjoy using the lens. Here is a copy of the H.C. next to my copy of the H.

Plenty of options to consider Tom..

Hmmm. That 105 1.8 looks might tasty...

The 105/1.8 is a lens that handles fantastic. The 135/2 feels good, but much, much bigger than the well-balanced fast 105.

I find myself using the 105 f/1.8 AI-s when doing portrait work. When shooting Canon I always turned to the 85 f/1.2L but coming to Nikon the 105 focal length quickly replaced 85 for this purpose. This particular lens is longer and lighter than the 85 f/1.4 AI-s and balances beautifully on the D700. Of course, the 85 is a pretty sweet lens, especially wide open... as in this shot taken yesterday in West Marin.

designdog
Total Posts: 229

CGrindahl wrote:

I find myself using the 105 f/1.8 AI-s when doing portrait work. When shooting Canon I always turned to the 85 f/1.2L but coming to Nikon the 105 focal length quickly replaced 85 for this purpose. This particular lens is longer and lighter than the 85 f/1.4 AI-s and balances beautifully on the D700. Of course, the 85 is a pretty sweet lens, especially wide open... as in this shot taken yesterday in West Marin.

Yes, I am enjoying my new 85 1.4. It is all that I expected from it.

The 35 1.4 is a different situation. Just not getting much out of it. For sure the Sigma spoiled me, but I just feel I should be getting more from a lens so highly rated.

No matter. I committed to using just thes two for all of September, and that is what I will do...

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Thank you Scott and Leighton. I really appreciate your comments.

MDoc9523

designdog wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

]

The 35 1.4 is a different situation. Just not getting much out of it. For sure the Sigma spoiled me, but I just feel I should be getting more from a lens so highly rated.

No matter. I committed to using just thes two for all of September, and that is what I will do...

David I think you will really enjoy the 35mm. Did they swap it out for you?
Here's a landscape shot wide open. Not the best subject and I should have been a little closer but it is sharp wide open.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3761

Always take a look behind your shoulder when taking the sunset...
Amazing location, but the words will have to wait until I've got more time to type them out
For now, just the image:

mountivelei by Zichar, on Flickr

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Love that shot, Chin.

designdog
Total Posts: 229

MDoc9523 wrote:
designdog wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

]

David I think you will really enjoy the 35mm. Did they swap it out for you?
Here's a landscape shot wide open. Not the best subject and I should have been a little closer but it is sharp wide open.

Curtis:

I am in a holding pattern while they look for a suitable replacement. Could get a Zeiss 35/2 for a bit more $$, but I am holding out for the Nikon.

I am trying this in AF mode, f4-5.6, minimum shutter 1/125. Will move up and down with aperture, but my minimum shutter stays at 1/125, and auto iso at 2400. Maybe I need to boost the shutter to 1/160, that way I can cover the 35 and the 85.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

Thank you Samy and Leighton for the comments and suggestions. I will have to try some motion and panning shots.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

Zichar wrote:
Amazing location, but the words will have to wait until I've got more time to type them out
For now, just the image:

Lovely colors and composition Chin.

MDoc9523

Love the reflection in this one Scott

Steve this one does it for me

MDoc9523

Some things make you go

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

Very nice one, Chin!

From the "Pointe du Hoc", Normandy, with 50/1.8 :

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

Zichar wrote:
For now, just the image:

Chin - you are an amazing photographer !! This should be in a book or used by SA tourism.

Great stuff.

pburke
Total Posts: 3009

a couple more from my hike in the Sierra - all 20mm f/3.5 on D600

CCC trail crew worker at 10,500 feet elevation, winching up a boulder to use along the trail section they were working on

Sierra Club hut on on Muir Pass

intersection in the backcountry

one of the last wet marshes this dry summer

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

On vacation in Italy for a couple of weeks

Couple from around the Pantheon. 1st with the 50/1.2 Ai-S and the 2nd with the 105/2.5 Ai-S

DSC_8693 by dean.g., on Flickr

DSC_8726 by dean.g., on Flickr

the solitaire
Total Posts: 2123

Both those Italy impressions are pretty much just awesome, as are the hiking/trail shots with the 20mm

MDoc9523

Love your photos Dean. Great timing on the first one and I love the "treatment " of the second! Keep-um coming

1       2       3              3072      
       3074              5891       5892       end