Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3057

1       2       3              3057      
       3059              5891       5892       end

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Promised to be back ....

Didn't say I wouldn't take a cheesey shot though to commemorate the time !!!

Taken with 55mm Micro @f8 time 12:43 BST UK

Plus the view at the time.

Then later the concentration of a cyclist waiting !!

Fantastic pix everyone.

Steve

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Thank you Georg.

Steve - Nice way to show the time. It looks like there's at least 4 people looking at their phones in the street scene.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

kwoodard wrote:
I did some looking and I have been with the thread for almost exactly a year (24 of August 2012), my first post on the forums was here. Will have to figure out what my first image was, back then Flickr had less storage space. I came onboard because of a shot Curtis posted of the Golden Gate. I was so taken with the fact it was done with manual glass that I decided to see if my Series E 50/1.8 would work on my D7000. Been here ever since. (Wow, page 1753 is when I joined the discussion)

Time flies when you're having fun!

pburke
Total Posts: 3009

Some planes for the MF thread today , so I don't have to add posts over at MA2A

a MIG with the 55mm f1.2

f/2.0 1/250s ISO 800, pretty heavy crop

a 2 image stitch with the 20mm f/3.5 of the flight deck of a B36 Peacemaker, handheld and fill flashed with the built in D600 flash.

f/5.6 1/15s ISO 6400

grimy B52 with the 105mm f/2.5 AI'd lens

f/5.6 1/4s ISO 100 on tripod

and our old friend, the SR71 with the 105mm this time

f/2.5 1/1000s ISO 100

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
You really have created a paradise Leighton, as Ray said. But your world is definitely one built on hard work unlike what most of us experience in our lives. I know we all love to tease you about it, but I doubt any of us misses the effort that is put into both growing food and in marketing it as you do. That you can find a bit of respite on this thread is wonderful. It is clear how much you enjoy it simply by how you participate... with kindness and encouragement, something we all can use.

Glad you found us Leighton, even happier you stayed and... hoping we'll have the chance in this lifetime to actually meet in person... Happy anniversary my friend.

We have been VERY blessed to be able to do what we do, and to raise our children while doing it. Sure it's hard physical work, but the beauty of it is, I can decide if and when I want to do it!

You have no idea what this thread and group of people mean to me. Living out here is sometimes rather isolating, not many folks to talk to, so I consider all of you friends that I enjoy chatting with immensely on a daily basis. It's as if y'all were neighbors standing on the other side of the fence. I'm looking forward to the day we have that beer on the porch.

I know the feeling of isolation. Living in China, very few English speakers. It can be a strange existence sometimes. Forums go a loooong way to help breaking such isolation.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Steve, nice candid of the cyclist!

Peter, the B52-shot reminds me of one of my favorite movies (Dr. Strangelove...). The MIG-portrait is very cool.

adh67
Total Posts: 561

georgms wrote:

Bert, you've just destroyed my belief about an always sunny San Francisco with your post!!! Happy shooting in every weather, I really enjoy looking at your fine contributions.

Thank You George,
Maybe this will restore your view a little. The same view a little over 4hrs later

Bert

pburke

georgms wrote:

Peter, the B52-shot reminds me of one of my favorite movies (Dr. Strangelove...). The MIG-portrait is very cool.

It is actually the B36 in that movie - the same plane the cockpit shot is taken in. Huge plane, and massive bomb bays, big enough to climb on the payload wearing a 10 gallon hat

pburke

more new stuff - still on vacation, so I can go through my images faster

we need some rust on the anniversary, all 20mm f/3.5 on D600 hand held

f/11.0 1/50s ISO 100

f/11.0 1/40s ISO 100 with remote fill flash

f/1.2 1/2000s ISO 100

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

adh67 wrote:
georgms wrote:

Bert, you've just destroyed my belief about an always sunny San Francisco with your post!!! Happy shooting in every weather, I really enjoy looking at your fine contributions.

Thank You George,
Maybe this will restore your view a little. The same view a little over 4hrs later

Bert

Bert great shots. Looks like the weather changes pretty fast there too

pburke

and the Bodie Interior Design Special - 20mm f/3.5 on D600, handheld (against dirty glass when present)

f/11.0 1/15s ISO 400

f/8.0 1/13s ISO 100

f/8.0 1/13s ISO 100

Power station with really dirty windows

f/11.0 1/5s ISO 100

Church with the 55mm f/1.2

f/1.2 1/80s ISO 100

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

leighton w wrote:
Looking forward to seeing what you bring our way Dylan. That's one pretty cat.

No pressure!

Yeah, Sandwich is the best. She says thanks.

georgms wrote:
Dylan, Sandwich seems to be on alert: how did you go his attention? A toy-mouse attached to your feet (looks like a pretty uncomfortable shooting-position). I like this fine image.

I'm glad you noticed, it was uncomfortable! She was under the bed, so I was flat on my belly, elbows splayed out to my sides. Not sure what caught her attention, but I do remember her sniffing the air.

My first post on these forums was in this thread some 14 months ago if my post history is to be believed. Seems like less time than that has gone by. I wasn't one of the first, far from it. But everyone was so warm and welcoming, it encouraged me to start showing my photos to people I'm not married to.

There are far too many people to list, but I should say that I have enjoyed looking at everyone's photos, even the flowers.

The conversation has been fantastic as well, nice to know that there are so many helpful and chatty folks around.

I took a short walk on my lunch hour today. There was a farmers market the block over and with it brought an unusual amount of people. Didn't take any photos of the vendors or their wares as I feel as though it is akin to shooting fish in a barrel or hunting on a big game reserve. So I present some quick grabs of people enjoying the weather.

All with the 55/1.2 S.C, baked in SFX:

DSC_0731-Edit by DEETEEOHBEE, on Flickr

DSC_0725-Edit by DEETEEOHBEE, on Flickr

DSC_0715-Edit-2 by DEETEEOHBEE, on Flickr

DSC_0740-Edit-Edit by DEETEEOHBEE, on Flickr

DSC_0735-Edit by DEETEEOHBEE, on Flickr

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

So many pictures taken with the 55/1.2 in the last couple of days. I found that my Macro 55/3.5 Non-AI can mount to my D7000 (with some finesse and care) and I REALLY like that focal length (which gets me very close to 85mm on Dx). I have been shopping around for a 1.2, I think that the 55 might be the one for me. Anyone have a line on an ugly one with good glass?

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Congratulations Curtis and gang, and what a great way to celebrate it! No way to get a meaningful picture at 12.43 or any time today, but hopefully later this week I will get an opportunity and will post it.

This is right about my 1.5 y anniversary Trying to think what got me into this thread, I think after I got FX for the first time I was looking for a lightweight portrait lens to match the 85 1.4D I used on DX. So I ended up with my first manual lens, a 135mm 2.8 Series E, not having any clue about the different versions at that FL.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

It is actually the B36 in that movie - the same plane the cockpit shot is taken in. Huge plane, and massive bomb bays, big enough to climb on the payload wearing a 10 gallon hat

No, the B-36 has propeller engines in addition to jets (strange bird). A B-52 is seen in Dr. Strangelove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove_or:_How_I_Learned_to_Stop_Worrying_and_Love_the_Bomb

pburke

I had to go look at my first post here - Oct 08, 2010 at 11:31 AM, so I was on board pretty early. It was also my first post on this forum, since I found it searching for some info on MF glass on DX bodies, because my old lenses just weren't anywhere as good as the cheap kit AF kit lenses. Now, a few years later, I know this is mostly due to the sensor in the D40 I was using at the time. I had no idea in 2010 I'd actually buy MORE manual focus lenses... I had 5 at the time, now I have 10

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Dylan, I like the whole set above, but # 740 stands out for me. Your street-shots are always inspiring.

Bert, bedankt

Peter, the interior-images are way cool. Thanks for starting up the time-machine!

pburke

rattymouse wrote:
pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

No, the B-36 has propeller engines in addition to jets (strange bird). A B-52 is seen in Dr. Strangelove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove_or:_How_I_Learned_to_Stop_Worrying_and_Love_the_Bomb

you're right - the B36 is a funky bird. Lots of these movies around. in the old Sidney Lumet Fail Safe its the B58, and in the new TV version of that same movie you can't ever see a plane (but you can see the full movie on youtube, http://youtu.be/djqlAT-7be4 (with quite the star-studded cast )

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

CGrindahl wrote:
deang001 wrote:
HAPPY 3rd ANNIVERSARY Everyone !!

Curtis - What a community you have put together here !!!!

This thread has probably been the single biggest influence on my photography (got my first DSLR in August 2010 ... Nikon D80 which sucked ). Made my first post on this thread on April 25th 2011. My friend introduced me to Ai-S lenses about a month prior to my first post and showed a thread Curtis started on another site ... which then lead me to here on FM.

Manual Focus lenses opened up a new world for me. I just loved how tactile & involving the whole experience was and still do now.

My favourite lens by far is and will always be the 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S.

I have been through a fair amount of MF lenses but the 28/2, 50/1.2 & 105/2.5 are the ones I usually reach for.

Again, many thanks Curtis for getting this awesome thread up and running and then to the behemoth it has now become. I still wake up to this thread every morning with a coffee. It's just become part of my life.

And also thanks to everyone - especially Leighton for keeping it at the top where it belongs

Took this one in an area called Mong Kok this afternoon ... I think it kind of sums up the craziness of this city !!!

Nikon D800E & 50/1.2 Ai-S

What an awesome beginning to this day of celebration Dean. I've so enjoyed your participation on this thread during the last two years. Yes, your busy life of work, relationship and travel have at times kept you away, but there has never been any doubt about your passion for these lenses. I remember when you finally made the decision to buy a brand new copy of the 50 f/1.2 AI-s. And as I've noted recently, your wide open photos with that lens taken on a Hong Kong trolley demonstrates the brilliance of that lens better than anything else I've seen from the lens. Of course, we've all appreciated your introduction to the exotic world of Hong Kong. We have been blessed in that regard.

So thanks for the memories Dean, including this great shot. And thanks for providing the much needed companion thread where all our friends can share their AF work with one another.

Thank you Curtis for the very kind words ... and thanks Leighton and all else who commented on my image.

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

asiostygius wrote:
These days a male Yellow-legged Thrush is using some trees before my office window.

I managed to capture the main diet of this guy, at least during last 5 days
(all shots with D600 + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 ais EDIF CPU'd supported on a windowsill):

Mature Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (King palm) fruits:

ISO 800, f/5.6 at 1/400s, ~10% cropped. This is an exotic palm here in Brazil, native from Australia!

Male Yellow-legged Thrush eating fruit of the King Palm:

Male Yellow-legged Thrush eating fruit of the King Palm by labecoaves, on Flickr

ISO 1000, f/8 at 1/1000s, DX mode in camera + some crop.

Yellow-legged Thrush regurgitating King Palm seed.
Sequence of 5 shots within just 2 seconds:

ISO 1000, f/8 at 1/1250s, DX mode in camera + some crop. I would say this fruit has less than 10% in weight of edible pulp!

The bad thing is that birds are spreading this invasive species over here

This image is one of the best I've ever seen from you ... which is really something. Absolutely amazing shot !!!

1       2       3              3057      
       3059              5891       5892       end