Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3046

1       2       3              3046      
       3048              4300       4301       end

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2638

Thanks Ray, Jeff, Ronny, Curtis and Georg.

Scott, nice gear set with the wide open 105 micro;

Chin, awesome work on the isolated tree landscape with 45 PCE;

Ray, loved the purple chair + bokeh with 105 P;

Scott & Ray, happy 2nd anniversaries!

Peter, loved your bird shots, old and new;

Mark, from your birds set I liked the most the second one;

Kevin, congrats and looking forward your shots with the 55 micro.

One of the first close up tests with the old 200mm f/4 QC + 4T close up filter:

_D6A0662-50-pc-crop-200-qc-plus-Close-up-6T by labecoaves, on Flickr

Fern leaf detail, ventral view.
D600 + Nikkor-Q.C 200mm f/4 ai'd + Close up 4T lens + tripod, ISO 500, f/16 at 1/60s, built in flash. ~50% cropped.
Even with f/16, at this close distance the DOF is thin.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4813

Looking for a shoulder bag recommendation from folks here. I'd like it to be able to carry one, perhaps two Nikon FM2 bodies, and 4 (one attached) manual focus lenses, none larger than 100mm's. That and 5 or more rolls of film. A super bonus, but not mandator would be to also be able to carry a Fujifilm GA645.

I have a Billingham small shoulder bag, but it is pretty small, able to hold the body and 2 lenses. I looked at the next higher up bag and while it is larger, it doesnt seem to get much more space inside!! Anything better out there?

Thanks!

amlsml
Total Posts: 1407

cleaned a few of the tractors I have rebuilt or use regularly. Maybe like MF lens's I am drawn to things others tend to see as old and past their prime . These tractors are made in 1964, 65 and 1941!!! Still work as new, the 64 has been totally rebuilt, painted and massaged. First time photographed with a MF 50 1.8 tho!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13157

Okay Andy... you can't show photos of tractors and then suggest you're "using" them without filling us in on what exactly you're doing when not taking photos and raising a passel of kids.

And that GTO makes me drool for sure. I had a 1967 Pontiac Lemans with a six cylinder engine and overhead cam with Hurst shifters. I think they were hoping to attract a slightly different crowd. I loved it but it was soon replaced with a 1967 Mustang fastback. Beautiful cars for sure.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3548

rattymouse wrote:
Looking for a shoulder bag recommendation from folks here. I'd like it to be able to carry one, perhaps two Nikon FM2 bodies, and 4 (one attached) manual focus lenses, none larger than 100mm's. That and 5 or more rolls of film. A super bonus, but not mandator would be to also be able to carry a Fujifilm GA645.

I have a Billingham small shoulder bag, but it is pretty small, able to hold the body and 2 lenses. I looked at the next higher up bag and while it is larger, it doesnt seem to get much more space inside!! Anything better out there?

Thanks!

Oooh swanky. I'd love one to go with the days when I'm only toting MF. Ever considered ONA or even Wotancraft (ateliers from Hongkong) - some of the favs from the vintage/rangefinder community

philipj
Total Posts: 850

DTOB wrote:
Wow Philip, Margot is getting so big!

This year it was NYC/Montreal/Ottawa. Next year will be my wife Sabena's and my 5th wedding anniversary and we are planning to do New Brunswick/Newfoundland/P.E.I./Nova Scotia. She was born in Moncton and hasn't been back since she was 7 or 8. We actually own a bit of land over there thanks to her parents. Should be an amazing time.

Glad to have been able to show you a bit of NYC, I've got a few more but the well is starting to run dry.

Dylan

Margot's definitely growing out of explicit baby phase, she hit ten months just two days ago. The time flies.

I don't tend to spend much time in the rest of Atlantic Canada, though I've driven through NB and NS two or three times in the past few years. Particularly enjoy St. John in NB, uptown (their downtown) is quite historic and nice. Moncton is a common stop as well, but not for any particularly exciting reasons.

If you want some Newfoundland tips, feel free to PM!

CGrindahl

I go for a backpack RM. I have a small Lowepro bag that I used traveling in Europe in 2010, carrying five MF lenses and the D700. But my last trip I took a mini Lowepro backpack and was very happy. That is the bag i use most often. I appreciate that switching lenses or cameras is not quite so simple when using a backpack, but I like the freedom it gives me when everything is out of the way as I shoot.

You'll doubtless get a number of suggestions, but you might also want to check out the General Gear Talk forum. I believe the topic of camera bags comes up there from time to time.

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

RM, I love my Thinktank Retrospective 30. It isn't nearly as big as some of the photos online make it out to be, and it doesn't scream "camera bag". There are a couple sizes too. It's got some very cool features, my favorite being the velcro tabs that can be silenced so that you can open the bag like a ninja.

I can carry my D700, F3, each with lenses mounted, a speedlight, my x100s, and a couple extra lenses. I am really only limited by weight, which can become a bit of a burden, especially in foreign cities when I might be hours removed from my hotel room.

I usually keep my F3 + 28/2 + 55/1.2 + 16/3.5 + x100s + a bunch of film and a couple extra batteries. Or I'll swap out the x100s for my D700. Very comfortable and it's tall enough that you can change your lenses in the bag if you are in less than savory locals. If you like I can post a photo of it loaded.

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

Another great day here on the thread! Great images from Philippe, Georg, and Mark. Well done everyone.

Georg, nice mug shot of yourself.

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

Philip, I am sure we would love some tips. Perhaps a guided tour. You don't have to fly in, just set me up with your parents (or parents-in-law, whichever the case may be) phone number.

Have they got a spare room? Or a comfy couch?

rattymouse

CGrindahl wrote:
I go for a backpack RM. I have a small Lowepro bag that I used traveling in Europe in 2010, carrying five MF lenses and the D700. But my last trip I took a mini Lowepro backpack and was very happy. That is the bag i use most often. I appreciate that switching lenses or cameras is not quite so simple when using a backpack, but I like the freedom it gives me when everything is out of the way as I shoot.

You'll doubtless get a number of suggestions, but you might also want to check out the General Gear Talk forum. I believe the topic of camera bags comes up there from time to time.

Thanks for your reply Curtis. I actually have a back pack too, which I have not used in a long time. It's a Kata bag that holds a lot of gear, back when I was a Canon shooter. I have not used it in a long time, and have soured on the idea of a backpack. But you are right, once you have your gear, your bag is totally out of your way. I have hiked all over China, Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and other countries with that Kata bag. I will look at smaller back packs too, based on your suggestion.

Thanks!

rattymouse

DTOB wrote:
RM, I love my Thinktank Retrospective 30. It isn't nearly as big as some of the photos online make it out to be, and it doesn't scream "camera bag". There are a couple sizes too. It's got some very cool features, my favorite being the velcro tabs that can be silenced so that you can open the bag like a ninja.

I can carry my D700, F3, each with lenses mounted, a speedlight, my x100s, and a couple extra lenses. I am really only limited by weight, which can become a bit of a burden, especially in foreign cities when I might be hours removed from my hotel room.

I usually keep my F3 + 28/2 + 55/1.2 + 16/3.5 + x100s + a bunch of film and a couple extra batteries. Or I'll swap out the x100s for my D700. Very comfortable and it's tall enough that you can change your lenses in the bag if you are in less than savory locals. If you like I can post a photo of it loaded.

Thanks for your suggestion. This sounds interesting and I will have to look and see if this brand is findable here in China.

Funny thing, I was looking at the Billingham bags last time I was at the camera mall (after buying the 85mm f/2 AIS and 55 mm Micro AIS lens). I was looking at the next size up from my own bag, one that cost about $280 or so. I said it cost too much and the guy pulled out another bag, an exact duplicate of the Billingham bag, with a name on it, that I cant remember, but it was a near duplicate of the name as well. Something like Blingham. This bag only cost $110 but was a perfect copy. Same exact tough material, not cheap feeling at all. You can buy even fake bags here in China!! I wanted to laugh out loud but just declined to buy it because I thought it was not large enough for me.

raboof
Total Posts: 1502

Please excuse the messy garage but I am testing the 20mm f3.5 UD. It's really nice. I even like it more than the 20mm f3.5 AI that I once owned. Not sharp at corners but non of the other 20mm that I know has sharp corner either. This is at f5.6.

CGrindahl

Chuong, since you have a tendency to sell lenses from time to time, IF this has the AI conversion kit and you decide to sell it let me know. I really don't need this lens but I have a disease...

Looks like it works...

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2964

Was going through a box of stuff that was going to be thrown out and discovered a 4-stop Nikon ND filter and a 1.5 diopter close up lens, also Nikon brand. Out of the 6 filters, these were the only 2 not cracked. Can't wait to try those out either!

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6033

I am currently laying in my sleeping bag in our tent at a campground out on the Olympic Peninsula listening to the waves crash on the the rocks below our campsite. The weather was nice once we got out of Seattle with a wrather nice sunset. Took a lot of images with the 45/2.8AI-P and 16/3.5 AI.
Was going to stay up late to image the stars and perhaps the aurora, but it clouded over a bit so I came back to our site.
A very smart and persistent raccoon just raided our cooler by tipping it over and popping the latch, but I got to it in time to save our food.

Hiking tomorrow up in the Olympics and should have lots of pictures to share.

Kind of sick that I have 3G coverage way out here!

John

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

Nikon 85mm 1.4 AIS

a.Rollei.brujo-30 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

duahau02
Total Posts: 24

DamSen8 by trghieu2002, on Flickr

Nikkor 200 f4 AI

leighton w
Total Posts: 9451

molson wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Cliff, what did you use to fix the creep? I have an 80-200 I'd like to fix.

I kept the original Nikon felt ring, because it wasn't too far gone (and it was easier than trying to reassemble the zoom barrel with new felt). I just put a strip of tape inside the groove for the felt strip and that added enough thickness to crete a decent amount of friction. I re-lubed the helicoid with silicon grease before re-assembling it and now the zooming and focusing action feels very nice.

Thanks, I'll try it out on my 80-200.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9451

CGrindahl wrote:
Okay Andy... you can't show photos of tractors and then suggest you're "using" them without filling us in on what exactly you're doing when not taking photos and raising a passel of kids.

And that GTO makes me drool for sure. I had a 1967 Pontiac Lemans with a six cylinder engine and overhead cam with Hurst shifters. I think they were hoping to attract a slightly different crowd. I loved it but it was soon replaced with a 1967 Mustang fastback. Beautiful cars for sure.

+1 A friend of mine in high school had a 67 with a big block Chevy engine, that thing would scoot!

Love the tractors, but they're too clean.

1       2       3              3046      
       3048              4300       4301       end