Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3040

1       2       3              3040      
       3042              4362       4363       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 9567

leighton w wrote:
Just dropping by to say hi, and to say how many great images on the last pages. Chin, you've been rocking!

I'll be back when I've given my "new" lens a thorough workout to see if it needs to go back to KEH. So far, so good.

kwoodard wrote:
Everything I have seen from your new lens looks great!

saph wrote:
What "new" lens Leighton? I am missing some posts or pages!

Curtis is right Samy, a 70-300 mainly with the idea of using it for an upcoming job.

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:
We have a new playground here in "paradise" so I ventured out with my 105mm 2.5 P lens. Curtis has encouraged me to use my lost orphan lenses so one by one I have been taking them out

Ray, all are very good, but this one is VERY good. I love the color!

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
I have to say, that those of you who run through this thread and comment on what everyone is posting deserve special recognition. I've gotten a bit lazy with time, but then I did the heavy lifting around here for the first year, which was as slow as molasses in January compared to how this thread is moving now. I'd say about NINE THOUSAND of the 60,000 posts on this thread are from me. But I do appreciate everyone who gives back to others on this thread. Clearly, those who are most engaged, both in sharing photos and in sharing comments and general observations, get credit for the vitality of this thread. It is not mine nor Leighton's sparking personality that does it... No doubt it helps that we have so many excellent photographers contributing to the thread. It is ALWAYS a pleasure to peruse these pages, even if I don't often leave a comment. Enjoy yourselves everyone!

I couldn't have said it better. But sparking personality?

leighton w

rafaelcasd wrote:
And the 55 1.2 SC is a great lens too, specially useful for capturing friends in any light condition.

Nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC D3 friends come in all colors and sizes 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A fine looking group of friends!

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4899

leighton w wrote:
Oosty wrote:
Excellent images from Curtis,Chin, Chuong,Dylan,Georg,Samy,Ray, Tony (sorry about the domestic issues and hope they're soon behind you) and Rafael.

RM, It's good to see how hooked you've become and doubtless that huge mall near you will entrap you further. As far as Mir is concerned I feel that it grew and grew and grew! If you go to photosynthesis and click on a lens type, there's generally a picture and sometimes a longer description as well.

rattymouse wrote:
Yes, that mall is just terrible. I am grateful for ever week that I can stay away from it. I have made the trip there so many times in the 4.5 years I have lived in China it's probably sickening. I'm going there today in fact! After work I am going there to pick up some prints. My final judgement towards any image is in the print. These are the first 35mm prints I have had made in over 10 years! They were made with the 50mm f/1.2 and 24mm f/2.0 lenses.

Of course once there I'll buy yet more film, and browse the lenses.

I have designs on a second camera body, since often 36 exposures of film is too much at one time leaving me stuck at a particular ISO longer than I want. To fix this I am thinking about a second Nikon body.

Here's the problem, the store where I bought the 24 f/2 and 85 f/2 lens has a Nikon S3 Y2K rangefinder w/50mm f/1.4 lens. Wow! Is that one sweet looking camera.

Are manual focus Nikon rangefinder lenses allowed here? Not that I am going to buy it....but the temptation is high............

A Nikon FE2 is far less costly.

We have never had this question come up before now. But my initial thought is why not. It's still a Nikon manual focus lens being used on a Nikon branded camera.

Well, I dont think I'll be in danger of getting one soon so it is unlikely that the thread will be "polluted" with such a lens. One day I hope to be in that position.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4899

I'm wondering why is it that some of these Nikon manual focus lenses are still in production now. Anyone else ponder that? The 20, 24, 28, 50 (f/1.4 and f/1.2), 55 macro, and 100mm's are all still current and available. There are enormous numbers of these lenses available used for a huge discount off the new price. Has anyone in this thread bought one brand new? I would guess that very very few people buy these lenses new, but who knows, perhaps I am wrong.

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

The only one I see people buying new is the 50/1.2. My local shop has one, I was tempted.

Something about a fresh MF lens.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 767

Some from the 105mm before I get too side-tracked by the 85. And one from the 35-70mm showing the busy bokeh it produces.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6099

rattymouse wrote:
I'm wondering why is it that some of these Nikon manual focus lenses are still in production now. Anyone else ponder that? The 20, 24, 28, 50 (f/1.4 and f/1.2), 55 macro, and 100mm's are all still current and available. There are enormous numbers of these lenses available used for a huge discount off the new price. Has anyone in this thread bought one brand new? I would guess that very very few people buy these lenses new, but who knows, perhaps I am wrong.

My theory is that Nikon either has a large parts stockpile and keeps assembling them OR they already have a large stockpile of fully assembled lenses + boxes that they keep drawing from. I don't think they move a whole lot of these lenses so their supply has lasted a while but eventually they will run out.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3048

jhinkey wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

My theory is that Nikon either has a large parts stockpile and keeps assembling them OR they already have a large stockpile of fully assembled lenses + boxes that they keep drawing from. I don't think they move a whole lot of these lenses so their supply has lasted a while but eventually they will run out.

Makes you wonder why they aren't sold cheaper to get rid of stock... I would buy a 1.2 if I could afford it...

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13296

RM, I'm inclined to agree with Leighton about the rangefinder. Yes, this thread began because of my encounter with these interchangeable lenses Nikon made and as you note continues to make. It took us awhile to get clear on the fact we wanted this forum to be reserved for those shooting with Nikon cameras but we arrived there eventually. In reality, the MF lenses we've been enjoying come from technology that was developed and refined for use in rangefinder cameras. I'd say the same criteria should apply... Nikon RF lenses mounted on Nikon rangefinder cameras. They are after all manual focus lenses.

Given the growing conversation about film, this seems like a fruitful exploration for those on the thread who are curious about the earlier developments. The camera you're considering is a rather special beast and I'm sure it is quite expensive. Here is what MIR has to say about the camera and lens you're considering.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/S3y2k_SPLE.htm

Nikon S3 Silver Year 2000 Limited Edition 50mm f/1.4 Brand New from Japan - $2,198

Happy shopping, whenever that happens... then happy shooting. I'll look forward to what that setup produces. You may start a whole new wave of spending by folks on this thread...

Kit building IS FOREVER...

Zichar
Total Posts: 3576

I found out yesterday that a former colleague and friend has the big C may not get past the year.
And not even 40. I feel ... paralysed

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13296

Zichar wrote:
I found out yesterday that a former colleague and friend has the big C may not get past the year.

The youngest person with whom I worked as a volunteer with the Living/Dying Project was 33. From diagnosis to death is was less than six months. The time to embrace life is NOW. As Buddhists note, we know we're all going to die and we don't know when. It might be wise to love the people in our lives and make the most of the time we have.

And by the way, that young woman was beautifully serene with her suddenly shortened journey. The support she wanted from me was to help her husband of a few months cope with her dying. I only spent two sessions with her. The remainder were with him.

You might want to check this out...

In Your Blessed Hands

If you'd care to chat Chin you can find me on Skype. This is the work I do and am happy to talk about end of life concerns.

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

I'm 3 months removed from my smoking habit. Started at 17, so I had been smoking for half of my life.

My brother in law's father survived prostate cancer and had a quadruple bypass about a month and a half ago. Shortly after being release from the hospital he confessed to his wife that he had been seeing blood in his stools for the last 6 months. Says he thought he was just "wiping too hard". So back to the hospital. Stage 4 colon cancer. They discover a spot on his lung, oh that's just a bit of lung cancer. They are removing his lung next week I think. He had been smoking since the age of 10.

I've never felt more mortal than I do now. Actually, I've never really been conscious of my own mortality. But not anymore.

Live like you are dying, because you are. Some just more rapidly than others.

Chin, I am sorry to hear about your friend. Try to use it as a turning point in some aspect of your life. I think your friend would be greatful that he inspired some sort of good.

mp356
Total Posts: 4399

leighton w wrote:
Just dropping by to say hi, and to say how many great images on the last pages. Chin, you've been rocking!

I'll be back when I've given my "new" lens a thorough workout to see if it needs to go back to KEH. So far, so good.

Leighton, Leighton, come back to the dark side.................

Zichar
Total Posts: 3576

Thanks for the offer Curtis
I think I just need to process this myself, at least for now
I have yet to visit, imagining the scene in my head repeatedly, what do I say?
It seemed so innocuous then, just like you said Dylan, aches and pains
For someone who's worked with grief and dying for 8 years, it's now very unsettling to have something happen to someone you know
Work just seems awfully meaningless now, right about the time it's gonna get busy
I find myself staring into space, listless
Sigh

mp356

kings_freak wrote:

The end of a tale.... by TR-Photo, on Flickr

Lovely Tony. Welcome back.

mp356

Zichar wrote:

Chin, so sorry to hear about your friend. Life is certainly precious.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3048

mp356 wrote:
Zichar wrote:

Chin, so sorry to hear about your friend. Life is certainly precious.

I too am sorry to hear this sad news. My mother is a survivor of two different types of cancer. With medical science being what it is and improving almost daily, keep the faith!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Thank you leighton. The colors are what caught my eye.
Rafael those are some great shots with the 55mm 1.2
Tony sorry about your situation and it's great to see you back!
Mark love the ball in water shot!

1       2       3              3040      
       3042              4362       4363       end