Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3040

1       2       3              3040      
3041
       3042              5889       5890       end

Stokesey
Registered: Apr 18, 2012
Total Posts: 1543
Country: United Kingdom

leighton w wrote:
Stokesey wrote:
Be careful what you wish for Leighton ......

Here are a couple of versions of the pic you wanted in B&W

Post in SilverFX

The first full dynamic harsh

The second full structure and contrast.

Hope this is the sort of thing you were looking for.

Thanx for the comments too

Cheers

Steve


I like them both Steve, but if I had to pick I would go with the first one.


That's the beauty of choice Leighton.

So thank you very much for making a choice that pleases you.

Thanx for the comment.

Cheers

Steve



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
I did a bit of hip shooting yesterday with the 20 f/3.5 U.D. AI'd that Chuong so kindly sent my way. It is a beautiful lens very much in the style of other pre-AI lenses with its scalloped metal focusing ring. I'm definitely a sucker for these old lenses since I clearly did not need a second 20mm lens. I've said that many times but resistance was futile when the opportunity presented itself...

Here is my first offering from the lens... I knew the backlighting would darken the foreground and highlight the shape of the two mannikins... just for fun.



Congrats on the new lens. Looks like this lens is the perfect choice for this type of shooting.



Foggy14
Registered: May 01, 2010
Total Posts: 1471
Country: United States

Steve, very nice wet street set. "John Plays the Guitar Beautifully" is very fine.

Tom, the market set is terrific. I especially liked the "frogs in a box" shot.

Chin, really nice perspective on the surf-casting fishermen.

Curtis, love the "hip shot" with your new 20/3.5.



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 4045
Country: Germany

Steve, I prefer the 1st version of your barber too. My personal favorite SilverEfex preset for "any subject in jeans and other clothes made out of cotton" is the push+1.5 preset ;-). A very film-like looking setting, I usually try this one and go from there (fine-tuning).
Mrs. Thistlehead is a classic B&W-subject for me too - very nicely done!

Curtis, "californian-hip-tilt" and the wide angle of the 20UD go well together for a dramatic image ;-)

Jeff, I like the sandpiper-shot a lot. Maybe I would prefer a wee bit less "fog" (just a touch less) on the bird, but I'm not sure about it.



rankamateur
Registered: Nov 25, 2007
Total Posts: 877
Country: United States

Trying the Nik's. First is the 20 3.5 UD and 2nd is 16 3.5 Fish. Along the river in Philly



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 4045
Country: Germany

3 shots from Swedish harbours, all taken with the 55/1.2 at night.


Ystad von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Crime is king in Sweden, at least when I check the local bookstores for crime-novels. Every second writer is a Swede.
The shot above was taken in Ystad where the famous "Wallander"-novels play.
I liked the view from our slowly moving moored boat for it's slightly mysterious character.
Shot at ISO 25.600 and pushed a bout two stops in post to suit my taste. Grain added ;-)
D3s + 55/1.2 at f/4, 1/15sec, handheld


almost extra-terrestrial ghosting von georgsfoto auf Flickr
a tiny droplet of rain might be reason for this weird ghosting - no filter was used and the proper lens-hood in place.
This wooden boat was in terrible shape, but I'm just talking about the condition, not about it's shape in terms of lines and curves.
I hope this vessel can be rescued, it will stand out from todays white plastic-cannisters called "yachts".
D3s on a Berlebach Mini, 55/1.2 at f/5.6, 30sec at ISO 1000
I've already posted a color-version of this shot (in-camera-conversion), but prefer B&W.

And here's another shot of the Fordson:

Fordson flare, glare, glamour? von georgsfoto auf Flickr
same night, same flare and ghosting - f/8, 30sec and ISO1600



Stokesey
Registered: Apr 18, 2012
Total Posts: 1543
Country: United Kingdom

georgms wrote:
Steve, I prefer the 1st version of your barber too. My personal favorite SilverEfex preset for "any subject in jeans and other clothes made out of cotton" is the push+1.5 preset ;-). A very film-like looking setting, I usually try this one and go from there (fine-tuning).
Mrs. Thistlehead is a classic B&W-subject for me too - very nicely done!

Curtis, "californian-hip-tilt" and the wide angle of the 20UD go well together for a dramatic image ;-)

Jeff, I like the sandpiper-shot a lot. Maybe I would prefer a wee bit less "fog" (just a touch less) on the bird, but I'm not sure about it.


Thanx Georg

Comments appreciated and noted. Will try your suggestion re subjects in jeans and cotton clothing.

Steve



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 4045
Country: Germany

Stokesey wrote:
georgms wrote:
Steve, I prefer the 1st version of your barber too. My personal favorite SilverEfex preset for "any subject in jeans and other clothes made out of cotton" is the push+1.5 preset ;-). A very film-like looking setting, I usually try this one and go from there (fine-tuning).
Mrs. Thistlehead is a classic B&W-subject for me too - very nicely done!

Curtis, "californian-hip-tilt" and the wide angle of the 20UD go well together for a dramatic image ;-)

Jeff, I like the sandpiper-shot a lot. Maybe I would prefer a wee bit less "fog" (just a touch less) on the bird, but I'm not sure about it.


Thanx Georg

Comments appreciated and noted. Will try your suggestion re subjects in jeans and cotton clothing.

Steve


Steve, "Jeans and Cotton" is a bit of fun, but I've noted that the fabrics texture and the preset's grain work well together. SilverEFEX is a fantastic tool, hope to see more B&W-shots from Manchester soon ;-)



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

Ron - I like the processing of the first image. I also like the frame you chose.

Georg - Love the Fordson! And the lights at both ends of the boat are cool too, very well composed.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

When trees go bad.


50-135/3.5 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 4045
Country: Germany

^ "When trees go bad." ... or couldn't afford a good lawyer ;-) Nice graphical piece, Leighton!



Ronny Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 5069
Country: Sweden

Great shot Chin Jeff Leighton Georg and Steve



D700 + Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

D700 + Nikkor 28 f2.8 ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Great shots everyone. A few more from Auburndale, Fl. I used the 24mm 2.8 with a pol. filter







georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 4045
Country: Germany

Ronny, thanks for sharing the more beautiful views of Sweden after my post from the dark and grainy harbours ;-) Fantastic work with the 28/2.8, your processing is great too.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

Thanks Georg and Ronny.

Ronny - I very much like the first one, quite different from you.

Ray - These are wonderful, they have that pop to them. The first and third images look like there some blown highlights in the clouds, the second one is perfect. I wouldn't have expected that with a polarizer on, but I'm no expert. I've only used that filter a hand full of times.



Foggy14
Registered: May 01, 2010
Total Posts: 1471
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
When trees go bad.


50-135/3.5 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr


Those trees were framed!

Nice shot Leighton.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

Feeding some grain to the cows at the fair. Shot with the 28/2.8


28/2.8 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

Foggy14 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
When trees go bad.



Those trees were framed!

Nice shot Leighton.




MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Thanks Leighton. Love the little boy and cows. I had forgotten that you had a 28mm 2.8



raboof
Registered: Mar 04, 2011
Total Posts: 2094
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
I did a bit of hip shooting yesterday with the 20 f/3.5 U.D. AI'd that Chuong so kindly sent my way. It is a beautiful lens very much in the style of other pre-AI lenses with its scalloped metal focusing ring. I'm definitely a sucker for these old lenses since I clearly did not need a second 20mm lens. I've said that many times but resistance was futile when the opportunity presented itself...

Here is my first offering from the lens... I knew the backlighting would darken the foreground and highlight the shape of the two mannikins... just for fun.



Cool shot, Curtis. I am going to try using my modded 20mm UD later today but here is another obligated shot of my muse, Rapunzel. 135mm f2 AI











1       2       3              3040      
3041
       3042              5889       5890       end