Total Posts: 7430

Zichar wrote:

curling in by Zichar, on Flickr

Awesome shot!

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

leighton w wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

I really believe that some of our market customers would literally faint, if they saw one of our vendors doing this.

This isn't even the worst of it. 10 meters or so away from this area is the chicken market. All the birds live, until you pick one and then it's days are over, all right in front of you.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3759

rattymouse wrote:
leighton w wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

I really believe that some of our market customers would literally faint, if they saw one of our vendors doing this.

This isn't even the worst of it. 10 meters or so away from this area is the chicken market. All the birds live, until you pick one and then it's days are over, all right in front of you.

That used to be how it is at the market in my hometown. It has since closed down from what I know. Put it in more ahem graphic detail; when I was a kid, I remember watching the woman pick one from the cage, slit its throat and put it in a metal drum and close the lid. The more it struggled, quicker it would expire, until its squawking grew softer and softer into silence. After that, a quick dunk into hot water then cold water to get rid of feathers. I'm surprised I'm not vegetarian

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

rattymouse wrote:

leighton w wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

Zichar wrote:
That used to be how it is at the market in my hometown. It has since closed down from what I know. Put it in more ahem graphic detail; when I was a kid, I remember watching the woman pick one from the cage, slit its throat and put it in a metal drum and close the lid. The more it struggled, quicker it would expire, until its squawking grew softer and softer into silence. After that, a quick dunk into hot water then cold water to get rid of feathers. I'm surprised I'm not vegetarian

Well, we process chickens once a month here on the farm for sale at the market. They won't let us do it there. I don't think it should be done at the market, but I don't have a problem with cultures who practice it. Sometimes we Americans are TOO sterile. We have a customer that grew up in Shanghai buying chickens at the street markets and only buys fresh chickens from us on the weeks that we process. She swears she can tell the difference between fresh and frozen, I can't.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3759

leighton w wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

leighton w wrote:

rattymouse wrote:

Zichar wrote:

Well, we process chickens once a month here on the farm for sale at the market. They won't let us do it there. I don't think it should be done at the market, but I don't have a problem with cultures who practice it. Sometimes we Americans are TOO sterile. We have a customer that grew up in Shanghai buying chickens at the street markets and only buys fresh chickens from us on the weeks that we process. She swears she can tell the difference between fresh and frozen, I can't.

True that, I'm also beginning to hear my friends' kids talk about how food originates from the supermarket... *shudder*
I can tell the difference with frozen, which kinda explains why I still make it a point to visit the wet market instead of the supers. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Leighton, the little hero is a great catch! He looks like he's going to fly a way, to fight whatever evil just crosses his path ;-)

Chin, "283s to pour" is an excellent picture.

Interesting and in parts funny debate about butchering at the market, btw. I tend to think that all people should have seen at least once how their future meal stops breathing.

leighton w

georgms wrote:
Leighton, the little hero is a great catch! He looks like he's going to fly a way, to fight whatever evil just crosses his path ;-)

Chin, "283s to pour" is an excellent picture.

Interesting and in parts funny debate about butchering at the market, btw. I tend to think that all people should have seen at least once how their future meal stops breathing.

Thank you Georg.

I agree... what Chin said about the child thinking their food comes from a supermarket is more common than you might think. Being on the front lines of food production for the last 15 years we've heard all kinds of ignorance being spread about. And not ONLY from children!

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

Be careful what you wish for Leighton ......

Here are a couple of versions of the pic you wanted in B&W

Post in SilverFX

The first full dynamic harsh

The second full structure and contrast.

Hope this is the sort of thing you were looking for.

Thanx for the comments too

Cheers

Steve

Stokesey

Another taken with the 85mm f1.4 @ f5.6 ISO200 1/400th

Silver FX post process

The meaning of 'Protect and Serve' I think.

C&C always welcome

Steve

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Interesting conversation... something that happens quite regularly on this thread and certainly adds to its vitality. I agree that were folks confronted with reality about food production would be surprised. Doubtless many of us would become vegetarians. But we're hunters and gatherers no more and must rely on others such at Leighton to produce our food, hopefully in a safe and humane way. Personally, I'm inclined toward fish and chicken, the chicken free range and organic produced locally that is fresh, not frozen. We eat organic produce as well, something that is readily available at practically every store in Marin. This store is two blocks from my home...

Good Earth Natural Foods

One of the concerns Sue and I have should be need to leave this very pricey region is whether we'll have ready access to quality produce. It is hard to top this region. In the summer there is at least one farmers market occurring someplace in the County every day of the week. We have four Whole Foods stores in addition to the Good Earth. Despite the fact we're adjacent to a major metropolitan area, Marin is essentially an agricultural county with large areas that have been committed to the Marin Agricultural Land Trust so that development pressure is relieved. Quite remarkable in a region where million dollar homes abound. Of course, the limits on development likely contribute to the high cost of real estate. But that is another topic...

StonePhotog
Total Posts: 134

It's stories like this that make me remember why I became a vegetarian.

Stokesey

I love playing with some of these images

This musician I could listen to for hours. Perhaps check out his YouTube entries Johnplaystheguitar

He has been on cruise liners for 15 years but has settled in the UK to have a family.

Such a nice guy and very informative.

Anyway taken with 85mm f1.4 @ f4 ISO200 1/125th

Post pro in Silver FX

Steve

CGrindahl

I did a bit of hip shooting yesterday with the 20 f/3.5 U.D. AI'd that Chuong so kindly sent my way. It is a beautiful lens very much in the style of other pre-AI lenses with its scalloped metal focusing ring. I'm definitely a sucker for these old lenses since I clearly did not need a second 20mm lens. I've said that many times but resistance was futile when the opportunity presented itself...

Here is my first offering from the lens... I knew the backlighting would darken the foreground and highlight the shape of the two mannikins... just for fun.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1471

georgms wrote:
Jeff, thank you for your kind words.
I'm almost moved about the amount of time you invest to write this detailed overview about the last dozen or so pages. Don't forget to shoot some fine pictures too ;-)

Thanks Georg. Here's one that could use some C&C help from you and the rest of the gang.

I was trying to get a Sandpiper to cooperate with a long exposure shot. At 1.3 seconds, the bird looked a bit nervous in the NEF image so I dialed back clarity and added a fog filter in Color Efex Pro4. I like it, but am not really sure that it works. Maybe a little too "cooked" and over processed for its own good?

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1471

leighton w wrote:
Sometimes you just HAVE to take a nap. This little fellow fell asleep RIGHT in front of the bluegrass band playing at the market today. Taken with my new 50-135/3.5.

50-135/3.5 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Wow Leighton! That's an excellent photo.

CGrindahl

I love it Jeff... it is almost as though the sandpiper is part of a dream rather than the scene. Clearly there are many ways to render an image with the myriad software tools available to us. What matters most, in my opinion, is the sentiment of the creator. Yes, if skills are lacking, either in capture or processing, there may be something to talk about, but clearly you handle both sides of this process very well. That leaves the creative expression. This is a wonderful, ethereal image enhanced by the "fog."

Stokesey

CGrindahl wrote:
I did a bit of hip shooting yesterday with the 20 f/3.5 U.D. AI'd that Chuong so kindly sent my way. It is a beautiful lens very much in the style of other pre-AI lenses with its scalloped metal focusing ring. I'm definitely a sucker for these old lenses since I clearly did not need a second 20mm lens. I've said that many times but resistance was futile when the opportunity presented itself...

Here is my first offering from the lens... I knew the backlighting would darken the foreground and highlight the shape of the two mannikins... just for fun.

Brilliant hip shot Curtis.

That lens is so good.

I'm just trying to get hold of an 18mm - but may be too late.

Love the lighting and the angle adds something.

Well done you .... again

Steve

leighton w

Stokesey wrote:
Be careful what you wish for Leighton ......

Here are a couple of versions of the pic you wanted in B&W

Post in SilverFX

The first full dynamic harsh

The second full structure and contrast.

Hope this is the sort of thing you were looking for.

Thanx for the comments too

Cheers

Steve

I like them both Steve, but if I had to pick I would go with the first one.

Stokesey

One I took on the 55mm Micro at f2.8 ISO800 1/400th hand held

Then I processed it in Silver FX 4

It all seems to have gone OK. But c&c is always welcome

Steve

leighton w

Foggy14 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Sometimes you just HAVE to take a nap. This little fellow fell asleep RIGHT in front of the bluegrass band playing at the market today. Taken with my new 50-135/3.5.

Wow Leighton! That's an excellent photo.

That's funny, I was just going to say that about your sandpiper image.

1       2       3              3039      
       3041              5887       5888       end