Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3039

1       2       3              3039      
3040
       3041              4225       4226       end

rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 1389
Country: United States

georgms wrote:


Rafael, I'm glad to see that your friends had some fun in front of your camera, hope to see Stefan acting in a movie or series soon (but without wearing earplugs ).




Thank you Georg, I hope that posting the target practice did not hit sensibilities, but I grew up on a large farm on horseback with a gun on my saddle (when not in school). Not for hurting anyone, but to keep coyotes and snakes under control, and get dinner often. Alas, those times are past but I still enjoy target shooting, specially at active targets like clay birds, and derive great fun from taking to the desert visiting Europeans that have never had this experience.



rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 1389
Country: United States

saph wrote:
Dylan thanks for the comment and input on the Native American dancers. I found this image of the flowing threads on a dancer that's not a rear view. Lot easier to capture photos of stationary performers or the ones taking gentle steps. This one's also with the 5.8cm 1.4S, at f/2.8 and 1/160s.

Great image Samy, I really like the draw of the 5.8cm.



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 2872
Country: United States

rafaelcasd wrote:
georgms wrote:


Rafael, I'm glad to see that your friends had some fun in front of your camera, hope to see Stefan acting in a movie or series soon (but without wearing earplugs ).




Thank you Georg, I hope that posting the target practice did not hit sensibilities, but I grew up on a large farm on horseback with a gun on my saddle (when not in school). Not for hurting anyone, but to keep coyotes and snakes under control, and get dinner often. Alas, those times are past but I still enjoy target shooting, specially at active targets like clay birds, and derive great fun from taking to the desert visiting Europeans that have never had this experience.


I liked the shots! I love to go shooting, just don't have the funds to do it.



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 4570
Country: China

DTOB wrote:
Curtis, I like you. You are good people.

I wish I could put words together like the others, but know this. I sit and look at each and every photo. And I smile. There is something special about seeing the world, exactly as another once did, in a time and place that will never be duplicated.

Great thanks to everyone who contributes, big and small.


Well said. It is almost an enormous undertaking to revisit this thread after a few days. The throughput here is pretty amazing. So many images. I comment when I can, but am not always able to. but they do get looked at!



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13079
Country: United States

kings_freak wrote:
Hello all!
I haven't had much time to shoot or post lately. My divorce proceedings have pretty much taken up all of my time and energy.
As usual, the photos on here have been wonderful. Here is a shot with my 24mm ƒ2.8 N.C. that I haven't used near enough. I hope to be getting out in the near future.

–Tony



I'm sorry to hear about your personal misfortune. I know from personal experience that sustaining a marriage can be challenging. I've failed at it more than most. When a relationship comes unraveled it can be very painful on many levels. This is especially true when you've been together for a long time. I wish you well. Thanks for letting us know what is going on in your life.



rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 1389
Country: United States

And the 55 1.2 SC is a great lens too, specially useful for capturing friends in any light condition.


Nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC D3 friends come in all colors and sizes by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC D3 friends come in all colors and sizes 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC D3 Abner trying Ray Bans by Rafael CA, on Flickr



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 4570
Country: China

kings_freak wrote:
Hello all!
I haven't had much time to shoot or post lately. My divorce proceedings have pretty much taken up all of my time and energy.
As usual, the photos on here have been wonderful. Here is a shot with my 24mm ƒ2.8 N.C. that I haven't used near enough. I hope to be getting out in the near future.

–Tony


The end of a tale.... by TR-Photo, on Flickr


The light on this shot is really great. What does N.C. stand for with this lens?



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13079
Country: United States

DTOB wrote:
Curtis, I like you. You are good people.

I wish I could put words together like the others, but know this. I sit and look at each and every photo. And I smile. There is something special about seeing the world, exactly as another once did, in a time and place that will never be duplicated.

Great thanks to everyone who contributes, big and small.


Thanks Dylan. Frankly, I count this thread as one of the better things I've done in my life. I find it easy to write but have often used ny rhetorical skills for combat rather than for fostering comity. Here we have a larger purpose that can be seen as only laudable. I can't imagine doing battle over whether shooting with MF glass is troublesome in any way. Here we get to have a good time together even as we celebrate what these lenses are capable of doing, not only with the film cameras for which they were made, but also with digital cameras designed for the latest and greatest AF gear.

The way I look at this thread, all that is required is a willingness to be respectful and to contribute. And contribution doesn't need to include a great many words. You can leave it to me and Leighton to fill up the space with words... And, of course, Georg, who continually tells us about how poor his English is as he dazzles us with his eloquence in what is his second, or perhaps third language.

I hope you've gotten the message Dylan, that we all love your work and prize your presence on this thread. So do what stirs your juices and share what you will. You're ALWAYS welcome on this thread.



rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 1389
Country: United States

rattymouse wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
Hello all!
I haven't had much time to shoot or post lately. My divorce proceedings have pretty much taken up all of my time and energy.
As usual, the photos on here have been wonderful. Here is a shot with my 24mm ƒ2.8 N.C. that I haven't used near enough. I hope to be getting out in the near future.

–Tony


The light on this shot is really great. What does N.C. stand for with this lens?



Nine lens elements, multi coated.



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 13079
Country: United States

rattymouse wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
Hello all!
I haven't had much time to shoot or post lately. My divorce proceedings have pretty much taken up all of my time and energy.
As usual, the photos on here have been wonderful. Here is a shot with my 24mm ƒ2.8 N.C. that I haven't used near enough. I hope to be getting out in the near future.

–Tony

The light on this shot is really great. What does N.C. stand for with this lens?



Lens designations are complex and worth a bit of research. The first letter refers to the number of element in the lens. Scroll down this page and you'll see what each letter represents.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/index.htm

The second letter which appears only on the latest version of pre-AI lenses indicates a newer lens coating has been added. Typically, the coating identified will appear in all subsequent MF lenses even when not listed. I hope you've connected with the site http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html that has databases both for serial number and for specifications. Those are the bible for folks shopping for lenses. It is useful to become familiar with what changes are made to different lenses. The site also has a database for accessories and for AI conversions of older pre-AI lenses.

I knew nothing about any of this when I bought my first MF lens and wouldn't for a moment put myself forward as an expert on the subject. I would only note RM, that part of the pleasure of playing this particular game, is delving into these matters and educating oneself. Add the review by Bjorn Rorslett and you have the ingredients to begin this adventure.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 712
Country: Poland

CGrindahl wrote:
Glad you were able to sort things out with that lens Mark. That is a delicious graphical shot.

Wonderful the resources we have available on this thread with so many folks having so much experience both with photography and with these lenses in particular. A tip of the hat to Rafael who when not blowing things up can offer sage advice...


Thanks Curtis,

As usual your last couple of posts put a lot of thoughts very eloquently to words. Thanks to (I think it was) Kevin on advice on tools, Rafael on the advise about the screw that needed lining up with a slot and someone else made a comment about using scissors to remove the front element just when I was having a problem finding the correct tool to slot into the 'cuts' in the front element. Worked like a charm.

Then the advise from people, especially Georg, on ideas about some of my shots is also invaluable and really the positive spirit of everyone on this thread is great and encourages me to keep putting the camera to the eye (and to keep buying more lenses even though I have more than enough).

In that vein this last weekend I think has been the craziest to date in terms of keeping up, not only good photographs, but great conversations as well.

I loved the Dragon boat shots Georg, sorry your editor wasn't bold enough to go B&W but sadly Editors these days are in love with colour (need to learn just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should).

Samy, love the Native American dancers, agree with Dylan that the last one is just perfect.

Tony, great to see you back and lovely starburst.

Ray, nice set from the playground. Great use of simple lines and bold shapes. Last one is delicious bokeh.

Dylan, nice effects on the cat picture.

Rafael, the shots of your actor friend looked very fun and well taken. Glad to see the earplugs and some concern for safety. Growing up in a farming community and indeed virtually a farming country I know how guns are very useful tools (especially when the local wildlife wants to eat you), treated with care they are fine, sadly there's a lot of people who don't treat them with the respect they deserve.

That's just the last couple of pages. Sorry not time to comment on all of them individually as they deserve. Loved the contrasting street shots from Shanghai, NY, HK.

And Philippe, forgot to wish you a happy Bastille day for last weekend.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 712
Country: Poland

CGrindahl wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
Hello all!
I haven't had much time to shoot or post lately. My divorce proceedings have pretty much taken up all of my time and energy.
As usual, the photos on here have been wonderful. Here is a shot with my 24mm ƒ2.8 N.C. that I haven't used near enough. I hope to be getting out in the near future.

–Tony

The light on this shot is really great. What does N.C. stand for with this lens?



Lens designations are complex and worth a bit of research. The first letter refers to the number of element in the lens. Scroll down this page and you'll see what each letter represents.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/index.htm


Great, so to really understand these lenses you need to learn Latin and Greek for the numbers. Funny that they didn't use Japanese for it but I guess you get S meaning 3, 4 and 7 then.



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 4570
Country: China

CGrindahl wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
Hello all!
I haven't had much time to shoot or post lately. My divorce proceedings have pretty much taken up all of my time and energy.
As usual, the photos on here have been wonderful. Here is a shot with my 24mm ƒ2.8 N.C. that I haven't used near enough. I hope to be getting out in the near future.

–Tony

The light on this shot is really great. What does N.C. stand for with this lens?



Lens designations are complex and worth a bit of research. The first letter refers to the number of element in the lens. Scroll down this page and you'll see what each letter represents.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/index.htm

The second letter which appears only on the latest version of pre-AI lenses indicates a newer lens coating has been added. Typically, the coating identified will appear in all subsequent MF lenses even when not listed. I hope you've connected with the site http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html that has databases both for serial number and for specifications. Those are the bible for folks shopping for lenses. It is useful to become familiar with what changes are made to different lenses. The site also has a database for accessories and for AI conversions of older pre-AI lenses.

I knew nothing about any of this when I bought my first MF lens and wouldn't for a moment put myself forward as an expert on the subject. I would only note RM, that part of the pleasure of playing this particular game, is delving into these matters and educating oneself. Add the review by Bjorn Rorslett and you have the ingredients to begin this adventure.



Thank you very much for the link. I have read many dozens of pages at mir.com but never stumbled into the one you linked above. I will study it carefully as I am tired of being bewildered by the Nikon nomenclature. While I love that Mir site dearly, it is in dire need of a re-write as the format is about as un-user friendly as possible. Sometimes the format itself out confuses me compared to the Nikon content!!





rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 4570
Country: China

CGrindahl wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
Hello all!
I haven't had much time to shoot or post lately. My divorce proceedings have pretty much taken up all of my time and energy.
As usual, the photos on here have been wonderful. Here is a shot with my 24mm ƒ2.8 N.C. that I haven't used near enough. I hope to be getting out in the near future.

–Tony

The light on this shot is really great. What does N.C. stand for with this lens?



Lens designations are complex and worth a bit of research. The first letter refers to the number of element in the lens. Scroll down this page and you'll see what each letter represents.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/index.htm

The second letter which appears only on the latest version of pre-AI lenses indicates a newer lens coating has been added. Typically, the coating identified will appear in all subsequent MF lenses even when not listed. I hope you've connected with the site http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html that has databases both for serial number and for specifications. Those are the bible for folks shopping for lenses. It is useful to become familiar with what changes are made to different lenses. The site also has a database for accessories and for AI conversions of older pre-AI lenses.

I knew nothing about any of this when I bought my first MF lens and wouldn't for a moment put myself forward as an expert on the subject. I would only note RM, that part of the pleasure of playing this particular game, is delving into these matters and educating oneself. Add the review by Bjorn Rorslett and you have the ingredients to begin this adventure.



Thank you very much for the link. I have read many dozens of pages at mir.com but never stumbled into the one you linked above. I will study it carefully as I am tired of being bewildered by the Nikon nomenclature. While I love that Mir site dearly, it is in dire need of a re-write as the format is about as un-user friendly as possible. Sometimes the format itself out confuses me compared to the Nikon content!!





Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4034
Country: South Africa

Excellent images from Curtis,Chin, Chuong,Dylan,Georg,Samy,Ray, Tony (sorry about the domestic issues and hope they're soon behind you) and Rafael.

RM, It's good to see how hooked you've become and doubtless that huge mall near you will entrap you further. As far as Mir is concerned I feel that it grew and grew and grew! If you go to photosynthesis and click on a lens type, there's generally a picture and sometimes a longer description as well.



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 4570
Country: China

rafaelcasd wrote:
And the 55 1.2 SC is a great lens too, specially useful for capturing friends in any light condition.


Nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC D3 friends come in all colors and sizes by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC D3 friends come in all colors and sizes 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 55mm 1.2 SC D3 Abner trying Ray Bans by Rafael CA, on Flickr


Wow, that lens has SERIOUS pop to it. Very 3D!



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 4570
Country: China

Oosty wrote:
Excellent images from Curtis,Chin, Chuong,Dylan,Georg,Samy,Ray, Tony (sorry about the domestic issues and hope they're soon behind you) and Rafael.

RM, It's good to see how hooked you've become and doubtless that huge mall near you will entrap you further. As far as Mir is concerned I feel that it grew and grew and grew! If you go to photosynthesis and click on a lens type, there's generally a picture and sometimes a longer description as well.


Yes, that mall is just terrible. I am grateful for ever week that I can stay away from it. I have made the trip there so many times in the 4.5 years I have lived in China it's probably sickening. I'm going there today in fact! After work I am going there to pick up some prints. My final judgement towards any image is in the print. These are the first 35mm prints I have had made in over 10 years! They were made with the 50mm f/1.2 and 24mm f/2.0 lenses.

Of course once there I'll buy yet more film, and browse the lenses.

I have designs on a second camera body, since often 36 exposures of film is too much at one time leaving me stuck at a particular ISO longer than I want. To fix this I am thinking about a second Nikon body.

Here's the problem, the store where I bought the 24 f/2 and 85 f/2 lens has a Nikon S3 Y2K rangefinder w/50mm f/1.4 lens. Wow! Is that one sweet looking camera.

Are manual focus Nikon rangefinder lenses allowed here? Not that I am going to buy it....but the temptation is high............

A Nikon FE2 is far less costly.



Lieutenant Z
Registered: Nov 21, 2010
Total Posts: 2977
Country: France

MarkdV wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Glad you were able to sort things out with that lens Mark. That is a delicious graphical shot.

Wonderful the resources we have available on this thread with so many folks having so much experience both with photography and with these lenses in particular. A tip of the hat to Rafael who when not blowing things up can offer sage advice...


Thanks Curtis,

As usual your last couple of posts put a lot of thoughts very eloquently to words. Thanks to (I think it was) Kevin on advice on tools, Rafael on the advise about the screw that needed lining up with a slot and someone else made a comment about using scissors to remove the front element just when I was having a problem finding the correct tool to slot into the 'cuts' in the front element. Worked like a charm.

Then the advise from people, especially Georg, on ideas about some of my shots is also invaluable and really the positive spirit of everyone on this thread is great and encourages me to keep putting the camera to the eye (and to keep buying more lenses even though I have more than enough).

In that vein this last weekend I think has been the craziest to date in terms of keeping up, not only good photographs, but great conversations as well.

I loved the Dragon boat shots Georg, sorry your editor wasn't bold enough to go B&W but sadly Editors these days are in love with colour (need to learn just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should).

Samy, love the Native American dancers, agree with Dylan that the last one is just perfect.

Tony, great to see you back and lovely starburst.

Ray, nice set from the playground. Great use of simple lines and bold shapes. Last one is delicious bokeh.

Dylan, nice effects on the cat picture.

Rafael, the shots of your actor friend looked very fun and well taken. Glad to see the earplugs and some concern for safety. Growing up in a farming community and indeed virtually a farming country I know how guns are very useful tools (especially when the local wildlife wants to eat you), treated with care they are fine, sadly there's a lot of people who don't treat them with the respect they deserve.

That's just the last couple of pages. Sorry not time to comment on all of them individually as they deserve. Loved the contrasting street shots from Shanghai, NY, HK.

And Philippe, forgot to wish you a happy Bastille day for last weekend.


Thanks a lot Mark, much appreciated ! A few years ago I marched in the 14th of july military parade with my regiment in the Champs Elysées ; it was pretty emotional for me.

Actually, since 1880 the 14th of july is the National Day and not the Bastille Day. And in fact the 14 th of july commemorates the "'Fête de la Fédération" (july 14th 1790) and not the storming of the Bastille (july 14th 1789).



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9262
Country: United States

Oosty wrote:
Excellent images from Curtis,Chin, Chuong,Dylan,Georg,Samy,Ray, Tony (sorry about the domestic issues and hope they're soon behind you) and Rafael.

RM, It's good to see how hooked you've become and doubtless that huge mall near you will entrap you further. As far as Mir is concerned I feel that it grew and grew and grew! If you go to photosynthesis and click on a lens type, there's generally a picture and sometimes a longer description as well.

rattymouse wrote:
Yes, that mall is just terrible. I am grateful for ever week that I can stay away from it. I have made the trip there so many times in the 4.5 years I have lived in China it's probably sickening. I'm going there today in fact! After work I am going there to pick up some prints. My final judgement towards any image is in the print. These are the first 35mm prints I have had made in over 10 years! They were made with the 50mm f/1.2 and 24mm f/2.0 lenses.

Of course once there I'll buy yet more film, and browse the lenses.

I have designs on a second camera body, since often 36 exposures of film is too much at one time leaving me stuck at a particular ISO longer than I want. To fix this I am thinking about a second Nikon body.

Here's the problem, the store where I bought the 24 f/2 and 85 f/2 lens has a Nikon S3 Y2K rangefinder w/50mm f/1.4 lens. Wow! Is that one sweet looking camera.

Are manual focus Nikon rangefinder lenses allowed here? Not that I am going to buy it....but the temptation is high............

A Nikon FE2 is far less costly.


We have never had this question come up before now. But my initial thought is why not. It's still a Nikon manual focus lens being used on a Nikon branded camera.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 9262
Country: United States

georgms wrote:
A kinda environmental lens-portrait:

The dragon-boat-racing looks much better in B&W, anyway, the 180/2.8ED did well in this panned shot.


Georg, I love this image. Looks like an advertisement for the 180mm. Very well thought out.



1       2       3              3039      
3040
       3041              4225       4226       end