Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3031

1       2       3              3031      
       3033              4432       4433       end

rattymouse
Total Posts: 5012

georgms wrote:
The recently posted work on film made me finally expose some Fuji Acros today. I almost forgot how nice the FM2's viewfinder is, even without "high-eyepoint"- and 100-percent-coverage-features. I wish I could have a screen like the one in the FM2 in my DSLR's too. The Miranda-screen in the D700 works pretty well (thanks for the guidance, Dylan!), but not as nice as the FM2's screen.
Developing was less fun than shooting, dust everywhere on my darkroom-stuff. At least the Rodinal-developer (and the fixing bath) was still in good working order.
I'm scanning some snaps now, missing the mask for the scanner I have to use a piece of anti-newton-glass to keep the negatives flat. Dust is everywhere, for now I just take it as penalty for neglecting real film ;-)

This friendly fella was selling mead and other traditional beverages to tourists -
Ai 55/1.2 wide open, Acros at ISO 100, Rodinal 1:50 at about 21�C for about 10minutes

Excellent shot! Love Acros film. What scanner are you using? I am soooo tempted to get a scanner and dive into the chemicals.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13616

^ Being a chemist and all...

Makes good sense to me RM. Here's Georg shooting one day, processing, scanning and sharing the same day. Pretty remarkable. Of course, photography for Georg is a profession (as well as his passion) while for the rest of us it is merely a passion. No processing for me except on my Mac computer...

rattymouse

CGrindahl wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
...Today I went there and came home with TWO new lenses to really jump start my collection. I found mint copies of the 55mm f/2.8 AIS micro and 85mm f/2 AIS lenses. I was going to buy the 85mm f/1.4 but I found that mint copy of the f/2 version. It is so much smaller, and so much cheaper that I had to try that one before committing to the f/1.4 lens. That's a lot of weight to carry around.

It's only Saturday afternoon here and already two rolls of film have been shot. Tomorrow is go to the park day with the micro lens, to see how shooting flowers is.

Congratulations on your new lenses RM. I think most of us would be in heaven rambling through those camera shops. My small town still has a camera store and they sell used gear but the collection of Nikon MF glass is pretty thin. Beyond that, they are much more expensive than prices I've paid online. Granted, there is an advantage to be able to hold a lens in your hand before you buy, but I've yet to be disappointed with the condition of a lens bought online.

With regard to the 85, I carried the f/1.4 version with me during a trip to Turkey Spring of last year and I really wish I'd taken a lighter lens. I used the 105 f/2.5 AI-s far more I still have the 85 f/2 AI-s that was the first MF lens at that length I added to my kit. I was quite pleased with its performance. I also bought an 85 f/1.8 H AI'd during our Great Nikon Adventure as we passed a later version of that same lens around the world. I think most of the folks who used that lens, which belongs to our absent friend Ben from Sydney, were smitten with it. Here's a photo of that lens which we called Nikki and my lens...

It is not a light lens, though it is lighter than the f/1.4. If you'd care to see how that adventure unfolded, you can use the WWW link at the bottom of my post and it will take you to a blog that Leighton created to show photos from the adventure. Twenty folks participated. It was a wonderful way to share the MF experience.

Happy shooting this weekend.

Excellent story on your blog! I love photograph on the header with all the lenses. The silver rings on each lens form a nice straight line, except for that large lens on the right side! That one ruined the straight line (135mm f/2?).

Yes, these camera shops are just amazing to browse through. I have been to this mall more times than I can count. All the shop owners know me, even though I rarely buy anything. Except for recently as I have been on a buying binge. Now two shop owners are actually happy to see me as I have bought 3 manual focus lenses in 2 weeks. One time while looking around, I found a store with the 58mm f/1.2 Noct. I had dreams that these tiny little stores did not know what an expensive lens that they had. So I asked the price and was disappointed to hear that it was many thousands of dollars. These people are NOT stupid. One weekend I found FIVE Noct. lenses in various stores. That is how much inventory there is in this mall.

I wanted to get the 105mm f/2.5 lens, since that is such a legendary specimen. But since I am a film shooter, every bit of speed I can get out of a lens is important. I dont shoot any higher than ISO400. F/2 is a good compromise between f/1.4 and f/2.5. I still might get the 105, but I really dont see it being different enough from the 85mm f/2 to justify.

georgms
Total Posts: 3515

Thanks for the feedback on the mead-dealer!

RM, I'm using an old Epson "Perfection" 3200 flatbed. "Perfection" has to be set in quotation marks, because that's not what I would call this device ;-) Marketed as being a 3200-dpi-scanner it might have a real resolution of about 1200 or so dpi, that's why I don't use the 3200-dpi-setting. A resolution-setting of 1600dpi makes for an output of about 2300x1550 pixels, enough for small or medium-sized prints and web-use. Working with 120 or 4x5-film is for sure more fun than dealing with 35mm-film-strips.
I have a much better resolving, but still not very good dedicated film-scanner from Plustek, but can't get the unexposed film-borders on the scan.
I hope to being able to set-up my existing darkroom-stuff in a nice place, scanning from prints done the wet way is right now just a dream.
Btw, a roll I've shot today with my Fujica GL690 ("Texas-Leica") was a total loss - the Diafine-developer was at least in one part completely exhausted or oxidated (first time for me with this otherwise fantastic and long-lasting developer).

rattymouse

Sorry to hear your 120 film didnt make it through development George! I had a Fuji GSW690 at one point. Amazing cameras, with some of the finest glass ever made. Those big negatives are just amazing.

I can buy an Epson V750 here in China, although it is priced much higher than the states. I hate over paying so have not bought it yet. But I am soooo tempted.

rattymouse

A few more shots w/ the Nikon FM2 (loaded up with ACROS film) and 24mm f/2.0 lens.

georgms

^ nice set above, RM! I remember seeing pictures from China where people at the streets were doing B&W-film-processing in a bunch of buckets as business.
The FM2 is a wonderful tool, sometimes I feel the urge to try a F3HP or F3 with the cool sports-finder, but the neat FM2 works just so well...

Here's another shot from today, that's my neighborhood pictured ;-)
Please note that everything that might look like a fluff is a piece of straw (I swear!!!).

Heimat von georgsfoto auf Flickr
FM2+55/1.2, Acros in Rodinal 1:50, toned in SEP2

rattymouse

Wow....we live in such different environments! Where are all the people

georgms

rattymouse wrote:

Either here:

in or close to the Baltic Sea, took this last year, D7000+50/1.2Ais at f/8

...or here:

dragonboat-racing panned, a shot from today, D3s+180/2.8ED, extreme crop

pburke
Total Posts: 2155

georgms wrote:
^ nice set above, RM! I remember seeing pictures from China where people at the streets were doing B&W-film-processing in a bunch of buckets as business.
The FM2 is a wonderful tool, sometimes I feel the urge to try a F3HP or F3 with the cool sports-finder, but the neat FM2 works just so well...

Here's another shot from today, that's my neighborhood pictured ;-)
Please note that everything that might look like a fluff is a piece of straw (I swear!!!).

Heimat von georgsfoto auf Flickr
FM2+55/1.2, Acros in Rodinal 1:50, toned in SEP2

F3HP has the best viewfinder ever put into a camera - I put the grid focus screen in there right after I bought it in 1987 and loved it immediately. If I could just get myself to pay for a full light seal replacement, I may actually shoot some film again.

Your photo above reminded me of something I took with the 105mm in Nebraska this April - at first I felt it was not worth sharing, but now I have a reason to post it as a follow-up

pburke
Total Posts: 2155

hmm - double post... so another one from Nebraska that wasn't so great at firsts glance

bored horse - 300mm f/4.5 EDIF

amlsml
Total Posts: 1435

A few from Tonight, the 55 micro 2.8, also fooled with a 75-150 3.5 E ( love it) and a 50 1.2!

mp356
Total Posts: 4448

Great images everyone!

Dylan, nice scenes from the "Big Apple".

Ray, I like the stormy skies over Florida.

Rafael, great compositions and lens use for the vintage aircraft.

Ron, nice morning visitor image.

Chin, the b&w flower conversion is wonderful.

Philippe, beautiful architecture and composition.

Laura, I like the funnel cakes image.

Georg, nice processing on the straw bales.

raboof
Total Posts: 1569

Georg - Nice dragonboat shot.
Philippe - Nice shot from the castel of Haroué
Ray - Nice storm shot.
Chin - Lovely shot from the 45PCE

Here are some shots coming my 45P, but without CE

mp356
Total Posts: 4448

A couple shots taken at the tracks on a hazy summer evening. Taken with the 105 2.8 ais micro. Thanks for looking.
Scott

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

Foggy14 wrote:
Dylan, very nice street shots from NYC. Did "we" win the lottery yet?

Sadly, no. Not even a free ticket. Better luck next time.

This van was parked in Manhattan for a while. Parking ain't free (or cheap) either. This is the kind of van that you pay people to take away where I'm from. I'm sure it's still available if anyone is looking.

These people were making a film. Looked to be having a great time doing it.

rattymouse

georgms wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

Either here:

...or here:

dragonboat-racing panned, a shot from today, D3s+180/2.8ED, extreme crop

Absolutely staggering dragon boat race shot. I LOVE the intensity found in this image, captured perfectly. I want to be the drummer on one of these ships!!

rattymouse

amlsml wrote:
A few from Tonight, the 55 micro 2.8, also fooled with a 75-150 3.5 E ( love it) and a 50 1.2!

Gorgeous cat!! Just beautiful.

DTOB

Oh and RM, if the v750 is priced a bit steep, maybe check out the v500. That's what I'm using, found it on sale for $150 a couple years ago. Might be lower than that now.

DTOB

DTOB wrote:
Oh and RM, if the v750 is priced a bit steep, maybe check out the v500. That's what I'm using, found it on sale for $150 a couple years ago. Might be lower than that now.

I would be remiss if I didn't also say that your photography is deserving of it's very own scanner. Really getting into the photos you've been posting.

Are you getting your scans done at a lab? Here they charge somewhere around $30 to scan and burn 36 frames at 2mp to CD. Total rip off.

1       2       3              3031      
       3033              4432       4433       end