Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3021

1       2       3              3021      
       3023              4179       4180       end

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2958

georgms wrote:
While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations, Nano-coating and stuff like this. I've mentioned my new-found passion for Nikon's Tilt-lenses and he laughed: „Yeah, Scheimpflug rules!”. He told me about his job and said that some un-coated lenses had been reported in my neighborhood and he was looking for these and other subjects. An sunbeam coming out of a maple-tree caught his attention and I quickly took a picture of the officer. Shortly afterwards his radio called him away.
I better don't show him this image, I might get another fine ;-)

[

Georg, that's a nice picture but do you want Ronny and I give you private English lessons?

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2958

Berchigranges garden, Vosges, France :

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5018

Georg your Police shot is very cool and I find it very humorous

amlsml
Total Posts: 1339

Peter, great post on DIY lens coat, i think yours looks better!!

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2587

CGrindahl wrote:
georgms wrote:
While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations, Nano-coating and stuff like this. I've mentioned my new-found passion for Nikon's Tilt-lenses and he laughed: „Yeah, Scheimpflug rules!”. He told me about his job and said that some un-coated lenses had been reported in my neighborhood and he was looking for these and other subjects. An sunbeam coming out of a maple-tree caught his attention and I quickly took a picture of the officer. Shortly afterwards his radio called him away.
I better don't show him this image, I might get another fine ;-)

D700, PC 28/3.5 wide open and at minimum focusing distance

One of the funniest posts ever on this thread... Wonderful Georg and if ANYTHING puts the lie to you repeated comment about not knowing the English language very well, this posts does so. Really fun...

+100

markhout
Total Posts: 485

On a slightly different note (*), I recently bought a pinhole-Nikon-bodycap on eBay in an effort to surrender to my Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS).

It worked! And it's actually a lot of fun. Yes, my D800E is overkill (*), but I'm going to drag this bodycap with me on my summer vacation!

D800E, 0.3mm pinhole cap, 15 sec exposure, LR5, Silver Efex Pro 2

(*): all flames gratefully accepted

rankamateur
Total Posts: 843

Too hot outside so playing with the Nik software. A great program for dummies like me. 28 2.8 AI-S

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

markhout wrote:
On a slightly different note (*), I recently bought a pinhole-Nikon-bodycap on eBay in an effort to surrender to my Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS).

It worked! And it's actually a lot of fun. Yes, my D800E is overkill (*), but I'm going to drag this bodycap with me on my summer vacation!

D800E, 0.3mm pinhole cap, 15 sec exposure, LR5, Silver Efex Pro 2

(*): all flames gratefully accepted

i like this!noiw i need to get one of these asap!

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2587

Thanks Leighton, Georg,Scott, Kevin, Mark, Curtis, Ray and Jeff for the comments.

John, the sunrise + plane shot = WOW!

Georg & Roland, like the foreground & background bokes, respectively;

Chin, what a gorgeous "succulent plant";

Scott, love dthe colours and bokeh on the "industrial light";

Choung, great bug + flower captures, liked the most the 2nd one;

Peter, very fine set with the venerable 50/2 H;

PeterB, thanks for the great tips on the "DIY Lens Coat".

One more astro shot, this time I was experimenting with the 85/1.4 at f/2.
A detail of one of the brightest globular clusters, omega Centauri at the Centaurus constellation:

Omega Centauri (globular cluster) with Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS + tripod + remote shutter, ISO 3200, f/2 at 6 sec exposure.
Truly heavy crop (>125%!) of an already D600's DX mode crop.
Stars are with a slight trail, supposedly a 5 sec or 4 sec would be better.

More info and better shots on the cluster here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Centauri

Randy Roy
Total Posts: 1786

I have a 300/4.5 K lens that is in great shape, but the focus ring is a little stiff - not terrible but stiffer than it should be, I'm sure from old grease. Is this something that I could fix myself, or should I not tempt fate and send it in for this? I've done some minor lens repairs before and I know that those helicoids can be tricky. Or is there anyone out here in the Nikon MF world that can do this?

Thanks, Randy

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2828

asiostygius wrote: One more astro shot, this time I was experimenting with the 85/1.4 at f/2.
A detail of one of the brightest globular clusters, omega Centauri at the Centaurus constellation:

Omega Centauri (globular cluster) with Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS + tripod + remote shutter, ISO 3200, f/2 at 6 sec exposure.
Truly heavy crop (>125%!) of an already D600's DX mode crop.
Stars are with a slight trail, supposedly a 5 sec or 4 sec would be better.

More info and better shots on the cluster here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Centauri

Very cool shot! I love the stars.

I hope to do this with the 200-600 f/9.5 that I borrowed from where I work. What I plan to do since I won't be able to really see what I am shooting at is to rubber band my iPhone to the area with the LCD on the back of my D7000 and use the stargazing app that I have to point out stuff. My only issue is where I live has lots of light pollution. I might have to go driving. There is a location I would love to go, but its about 50 miles away...not in the budget for gas. There is an area closer, but the location is kind of scary...don't want to get robbed.

Got any tips on dealing with areas that have light pollution?

MDoc9523

Randy Roy wrote:
I have a 300/4.5 K lens that is in great shape, but the focus ring is a little stiff - not terrible but stiffer than it should be, I'm sure from old grease. Is this something that I could fix myself, or should I not tempt fate and send it in for this? I've done some minor lens repairs before and I know that those helicoids can be tricky. Or is there anyone out here in the Nikon MF world that can do this?

Thanks, Randy

I used to own that same lens. It is expensive to have re-greased so I would advise you to just use it. If it is like another lens that I had with the same problem over time it will loosen up. Actually when I watched TV I would take that lens out and rotate it in and out over and again. That helped a lot!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2828

Randy Roy wrote:

Thanks, Randy

I have done a 28/3.5 and am in the process of working on a 100/2.8 E Series that sat in its box since new (all the grease dried out, have already lubed the inner one). The 28 was a piece of cake to re-lube the outer helicoid, but redoing the infinity focus stop was very tough (still not sure if I have it completely right). The 100/2.8 is a bear and is being stubborn. I haven't even been able to get to that side of the helicoid. There is a Nikon Lens Repair group on Yahoo. If you can find that group, check through their archives and see if they have a repair for that lens.

MDoc9523

I decided to do an unofficial comparison between the 300mm 4.5 EDIF against the 100-300mm 5.6 AIS. At 300mm with both lenses wide open I selected a subject at a far distance and also one close. Can you tell which one is which? Of course the 4.5 has a one stop advantage, while the 5.6 has zoom ability.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9184

MDoc9523 wrote:
I decided to do an unofficial comparison between the 300mm 4.5 EDIF against the 100-300mm 5.6 AIS. At 300mm with both lenses wide open I selected a subject at a far distance and also one close. Can you tell which one is which? Of course the 4.5 has a one stop advantage, while the 5.6 has zoom ability.

My guess is that the 300mm is on the left.

pburke
Total Posts: 1942

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
markhout wrote:
On a slightly different note (*), I recently bought a pinhole-Nikon-bodycap on eBay in an effort to surrender to my Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS). (*): all flames gratefully accepted

i like this!noiw i need to get one of these asap!

take a drill and put a 2mm hole through the center of the K in NIKON of any lens cap you own, and you got one. doesn't need to be accurate - heck, the fuzzier the better.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5802

MDoc9523 wrote:

Many times it's the off-center performance that is really quite different between lenses. How do they compare in edges and borders? Landscape-type guys (like me) care more about edges, borders, and corners than most other folks.

I would bet that the 100-300 is on the left due to the higher depth of field that seems to be there (assuming these were both shot wide open).

MDoc9523

Thanks John here's a photo to compare the edges. Upper right corner. As it stated in description both are wide open.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4503

Some shots just after sunrise, still testing out my new 24mm f/2.0 lens.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4503

Oosty wrote:
Took out the "old" 50 f2 H lens that I recently ai'd. IMO this lens has amazing quality in it's rendering and very smooth bokeh. Some examples from this afternoon.

Love the park bench in that pano shot!!

1       2       3              3021      
       3023              4179       4180       end