Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3021

1       2       3              3021      
3022
       3023              5892       5893       end

rankamateur
Registered: Nov 25, 2007
Total Posts: 877
Country: United States

200-400 ED AI-S- on a sturdy tripod by the way because Hulk Hogan could not hand hold this thing.



anthonysemone
Registered: Mar 08, 2008
Total Posts: 5366
Country: United States

Yes indeed about the forward lean.. that'll come soon enough. Thanks for noticing that the weapon was empty and his clear respect for it, the outcome of a conspiracy between me and his Dad's Dad. We were fortunate enough to have the Police range (hence the marking on the post - ) all to ourselves...



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4684
Country: United States

anthonysemone wrote:
Yes indeed about the forward lean.. that'll come soon enough. Thanks for noticing that the weapon was empty and his clear respect for it, the outcome of a conspiracy between me and his Dad's Dad. We were fortunate enough to have the Police range (hence the marking on the post - ) all to ourselves...


I shoot as well, so I am always on the look out for stuff like that. I went out about a year ago and watched a gentleman in his 40's knock out 6 teeth because of improper form and no respect for the weapon. He took 5 shots with his semi-auto 10mm and when he relaxed, he had his finger still on the trigger. It was a race gun with a super light trigger and bang! Recoil hit him in the mouth, 4 teeth on top and 2 on bottom came tumbling out. I am currently starting to restore a J. Stevens and Tool company Model 108 single shot .410 shotty. It was bought new in 1914 and passed to me when the original owners son decided he wanted nothing to do with his fathers estate (got a lot of camera gear also). I have some of those pictures in my Flickr page. Just quick snapshots, not really artistic. Those will come though.



anthonysemone
Registered: Mar 08, 2008
Total Posts: 5366
Country: United States

Excellent observation, Sir. There is no such thing as too much safety when firearms are present. Yes, indeed, race guns can do that in the presence of a trigger finger that might well have been more safely positioned, not to mention the brain fart that can afflict us all should we let it. I wish you great good fortune with your rebuild. I never had those skills but I surely do admire folks who do



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 7430
Country: United States

kwoodard wrote:
anthonysemone wrote:
Yes indeed about the forward lean.. that'll come soon enough. Thanks for noticing that the weapon was empty and his clear respect for it, the outcome of a conspiracy between me and his Dad's Dad. We were fortunate enough to have the Police range (hence the marking on the post - ) all to ourselves...


I shoot as well, so I am always on the look out for stuff like that. I went out about a year ago and watched a gentleman in his 40's knock out 6 teeth because of improper form and no respect for the weapon. He took 5 shots with his semi-auto 10mm and when he relaxed, he had his finger still on the trigger. It was a race gun with a super light trigger and bang! Recoil hit him in the mouth, 4 teeth on top and 2 on bottom came tumbling out. I am currently starting to restore a J. Stevens and Tool company Model 108 single shot .410 shotty. It was bought new in 1914 and passed to me when the original owners son decided he wanted nothing to do with his fathers estate (got a lot of camera gear also). I have some of those pictures in my Flickr page. Just quick snapshots, not really artistic. Those will come though.



My goodness, what a terrible mistake!!



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 7430
Country: United States

Does anyone here shoot *exclusively* (or near exclusively) manual focus? If you do shoot some autofocus, what percentage would you guess that you shoot this way? I am curious to what the answers might be.

Thanks!



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

Tony, good to see you again!



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

rattymouse wrote:
Does anyone here shoot *exclusively* (or near exclusively) manual focus? If you do shoot some autofocus, what percentage would you guess that you shoot this way? I am curious to what the answers might be.

Thanks!


Well, I just bought my first AF lens since my kit lens on my old D7000 that I sold last year. I mainly bought it to use for a job that I'm doing this Wednesday. I doubt I use it much other than the times I'm getting paid. I said all of that to say this...I probably shoot MF around 95 to 100 percent of the time.



anthonysemone
Registered: Mar 08, 2008
Total Posts: 5366
Country: United States

Leighton, thank you, Sir. Major mistake selling off my MF kit. GRRR. Slowly building it back up. 50/1.2 Ai-S is next on my list I'm shooting almost exclusively with film these days, though with fast moving subjects, I'm not adept enough to use MF.



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4684
Country: United States

rattymouse wrote:
Does anyone here shoot *exclusively* (or near exclusively) manual focus? If you do shoot some autofocus, what percentage would you guess that you shoot this way? I am curious to what the answers might be.

Thanks!

I would say I shoot 95% MF glass. In the last month, I got two AF lenses (28-70 AF-D and a 75-300 AF, which is the last good one from what I hear) and only really use them when I have to deal with action, which is rare for me. Once I started dinking around with MF glass, I am hopelessly addicted to them and shoot them all the time. Of my 13 lenses, only 2 are AF.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

rattymouse wrote:
Does anyone here shoot *exclusively* (or near exclusively) manual focus? If you do shoot some autofocus, what percentage would you guess that you shoot this way? I am curious to what the answers might be.

Thanks!


I recently bought a Nikkor 24-85 vr for the grandkids and have used it once so I would say that 99% of my shots are manual focus. The major point is that I need to spend more time with the kids



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

anthonysemone wrote:
Leighton, thank you, Sir. Major mistake selling off my MF kit. GRRR. Slowly building it back up. 50/1.2 Ai-S is next on my list I'm shooting almost exclusively with film these days, though with fast moving subjects, I'm not adept enough to use MF.

Great to see you Tony #1



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4684
Country: United States

anthonysemone wrote:
Excellent observation, Sir. There is no such thing as too much safety when firearms are present. Yes, indeed, race guns can do that in the presence of a trigger finger that might well have been more safely positioned, not to mention the brain fart that can afflict us all should we let it. I wish you great good fortune with your rebuild. I never had those skills but I surely do admire folks who do


Here she is in her current state. Lots of surface rust, but everything else seems to lock up tight and nothing seems to bind. Its not a bank vault like my Smith & Wesson M36, but for a single shot .410, its good.


_DSC9196 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr



anthonysemone
Registered: Mar 08, 2008
Total Posts: 5366
Country: United States

Lots of history in that firearm I'd reckon, Kevin.

Doc, thank you, Sir. I'm more than a bit out of Nikon MF practice, but I'll be sure to put up some more when I've got something that measures up to the standards here. You all are really good!!!



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4684
Country: United States

anthonysemone wrote:
Lots of history in that firearm I'd reckon, Kevin.

Doc, thank you, Sir. I'm more than a bit out of Nikon MF practice, but I'll be sure to put up some more when I've got something that measures up to the standards here. You all are really good!!!


Quite a bit. The owner bought it with his own money when he was 8 I believe to serve as protection for himself and his animals when he was working on his parents farm.



anthonysemone
Registered: Mar 08, 2008
Total Posts: 5366
Country: United States

Yes, those were the days, eh? I had my own Marlin lever action .22LR when I was 12. I was on the school's rifle team and we practiced on the range in the basement of our school. I remember bringing my rifle (a Winchester target rifle, another of my "weapons") to school, slung over my shoulder with a half dozen bricks of ammo in my coat pocket, walking into the classroom and hanging up my coat and rifle in the cloak closet as it was called in those days and then picking it up after school and going down to practice. We were part of an NRA sponsored and taught rifle team. Times sure have changed



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Here's a couple shots using the 75-150 3.5 Series E. I took this lens apart to fix the chronic lens creep and slap. It was a complete success but unfortunately the tiny little ball that makes the aperture click bounced four times, rolled across the desk and into the carpet never to be found again. Now I have a cinema de-clicked version. Is it worth more now


Feeding the fish with grandpa



Reagan
Registered: Jan 10, 2010
Total Posts: 4619
Country: United States

Firearms and fast cars. Now your getting my attention
Now I just need a camera
Beautiful images posted by all

Reagan



designdog
Registered: Oct 05, 2004
Total Posts: 230
Country: United States

The 135mm 2 AI-s and its magical bokeh...



anthonysemone
Registered: Mar 08, 2008
Total Posts: 5366
Country: United States

Each of these is with my Nikon F4 and 85/1.4 Ai-S. Portra 400. Likely it is that I'm shooting in Ken Rockwell mode Manayunk is just outside Philly.



1       2       3              3021      
3022
       3023              5892       5893       end