Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3019

1       2       3              3019      
       3021              4265       4266       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13129

Okay... Ray, Scott and Chuong... now is the time to refresh your bios in your profile so folks who haven't gotten to know you over the time you've participated can have a formal introduction. John noted the frustration of not getting to know folks, and then having the information lost in bygone posts. I tried to add a more comprehensive bio and the site accepted it. I think this is a great resource, especially for folks who spend considerable time on a thread where we get to know one another. Tells us about yourselves...

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13129

designdog wrote:
You know, there is probably another good reason to back off from the end of the zoom range: most lens reviews point out weaknesses at the ends - primarily the long end, but backing away from the extremes is like not shooting wide open. Makes good sense...

Dave, thanks for introducing yourself more fully in your profile. You've surely had an interesting life, with work related travel around the world. I tried to pull that off but could never get it to work. I'm not complaining about having spent over forty years in the San Francisco Bay area, nor about the many trips I've taken to Europe in particular. But it would have been nice to work in another part of the world. Most of us remain in our native land. It is the adventurous among who do as you did during your career. Glad you found us and I trust you'll find the lenses that work for you, including a few MF lenses of the sort we celebrate on this thread...

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5996

A couple more panos from South Dakota last week. Weather was not the best for such shots, but you work with what you have!

Lovers Leap Looking West Toward The Needles
D800 45/2.8 AI-P at f/8, ISO 100, 1/250 sec.

Rankin Ridge Looking South Just Before A Storm
D800 45/2.8 AI-P at f/5.6, ISO 100, 1/350 sec.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5996

Her's some more misc. shots from South Dakota last week. I may have posted some already, but it can't hurt to post them again.
45/2.8 AI-P or 400/5.6 ED AI or 16/3.5 AI

John

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1028

Thanks much for the kind comments on the Fourth of July shots.

Bert, I like the look you're getting on your flower shots. The 200/4 is showing very well.

Francesco, beautiful flowers with the 135/2. I enjoy the open feel of your framing. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the 105/1.8, but I love the 105/2.5.

Samy, love the colors of the '56 Chevy!

Leighton, I liked your "glimpse of the future" shot.

Chin, isn't it fun when an idea comes to fruition? "Nighthood" is an excellent photo. I really like the lighting and the negative space you created. The roadside succulent is very nice, also.

Philippe, love the translucent gooseberries with the tubed 180. The composition and conversion you used in your portrait of Eléonore are first rate.

Ronny, beautiful flowers!

Jared, "place of quiet" is a very cool shot.

Georg, terrific portraits and I really like your "messy" shot. The flowers with the 105/4 are great. Wonderful colors!

Paul, you take very nice photos with expensive and "cheap" lenses alike.

Curtis, beautiful close crop with the tubed 135/2.8. The roses are gorgeous. Hope you and Sue are getting some R&R after the moving chores.

Chuong, nice bees and bambi.

Ray, beautiful roses!

Mark, "landing pad" and the Edelwiess are fine shots. Thanks for trekking to the wilds of your balcony to get them.

Roland, I really enjoyed your mountain shots.

Andy, very pretty shot with the 55/2.8.

David, thanks for the link to the Jean Michel Berts info. Very interesting.

Jose, gorgeous night sky with the 28/2.

Jay, lovely birds. Very nice colors.

John, I'll echo the positive comments on the sunrise shot; very striking. I really liked the simplicity and beauty of "time to leave."

Scott, your treatment of the industrial light fixture is very nice.

Kry27
Total Posts: 172

What a chatching up
hehe

Oosty
Total Posts: 4038

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here are a couple shots using the 85mm 1.4. I was driving down a street and noticed a beautiful yard full of flowers. I parked the car and took some pictures from the sidewalk. I guess one of the main reasons to buy a 1.4 lens is to shoot at 1.4

Ray these are amazing. Really smooth bokeh and fabulous isolation of subject.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4038

I've updated my profile too and chosen an appropriate avatar

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

its here! my Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AIS, paired to my D800, with Metz 60 CT-1 SET TO MANUAL MODE, FULL POWERED BEHIND AN UMBRELLA, AND NO IDEA WHY!

Luna Bleu.Rodriguez by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

_DSC0675 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 85 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias +2/3 EV

_DSC0670 copy by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7723

John, that sunrise is stunning! Love the colors!

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2992

Love your avatar, Peter -)
Do you really have a child in France ?

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7723

Americo, you may want to turn down the flash and EV a bit. Too bad the cat moved on you.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9356

Scott - That 105/2.8 would make a great alternative to the 2.5.

Chuong - Love the flowers, especially the second one.

Ray - Beautiful work with the 85!

John - Thanks for the tour of SD, still nice to see there's plenty of wilderness.

Peter- LOVE your avatar!

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4743

Some images from my newly acquired Nikkor 24mm f/2.0 lens on a Nikon FM2. From a walk taken in the Shanghai Old City.

leighton w

rattymouse wrote:
Some images from my newly acquired Nikkor 24mm f/2.0 lens on a Nikon FM2. From a walk taken in the Shanghai Old City.

I love these kind of street shots. I also love seeing street markets from around the world. Keep 'em coming.

On a side note, I read that the Chinese government was thinking about new regulations on live chicken vendors to force them to take their birds to a processor. Have you heard anything about this? It would virtually take all the profit away from the vendor.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4743

leighton w wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

I love these kind of street shots. I also love seeing street markets from around the world. Keep 'em coming.

On a side note, I read that the Chinese government was thinking about new regulations on live chicken vendors to force them to take their birds to a processor. Have you heard anything about this? It would virtually take all the profit away from the vendor.

Thank you for the kind words. I do not know the particulars of what you speak of, but recently there was an outbreak of bird flu here in Shanghai. Every time that happens the wet markets get closed while a cleaning is ordered. The last closure lasted quite a long time, several months and only recently the wet markets opened up again. So you can still buy live chickens, pigeons, and ducks in these markets. I'd be surprised if they did away with live markets as most Chinese people loathe supermarkets.

I'll post some more a bit later so as not to hog up the whole page.

leighton w

rattymouse wrote:

leighton w wrote:

rattymouse wrote:
Thank you for the kind words. I do not know the particulars of what you speak of, but recently there was an outbreak of bird flu here in Shanghai. Every time that happens the wet markets get closed while a cleaning is ordered. The last closure lasted quite a long time, several months and only recently the wet markets opened up again. So you can still buy live chickens, pigeons, and ducks in these markets. I'd be surprised if they did away with live markets as most Chinese people loathe supermarkets.

I'll post some more a bit later so as not to hog up the whole page.

That's good to hear. We have a customer from Shanghai and whenever we process chickens she insists in buying a fresh one before we freeze them. She said she grew up buying each meal from the market and that she can tell the difference between one that's fresh and one that's frozen.

amlsml
Total Posts: 1398

Ray, your second flower shot look almost like a painting!love the color.

John- really liking your last pano landscape shot, you live a great place to photograph!

amlsml
Total Posts: 1398

the 300 2.8 AI-S that I traded fro a Tamron macro! handheld, just seeing if it is sharp. this a 100 crop. thanks Andy

georgms
Total Posts: 3424

Andy: congrats, what a deal

Ratty, love your market-shots! The 24/2 is one of my favorite MF-Nikkor's, love this gem for it's characterful rendering at wider apertures.

1       2       3              3019      
       3021              4265       4266       end