/forum/topic/929565/3012

1       2       3              3012      
       3014              4436       4437       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3140

CGrindahl wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Your close work is beautiful Ray but you can get there with the PK-13 using a number of lenses. I don't sell lenses for the simple reason the return on investment is not that great AND there is always a possibility that somewhere down the line, the lens I thought was surplus becomes useful. I figure the lenses are happy in the cabinet behind me and should I ever need one or another, I'll know where to find it. Of course, if you need money for another purchase, kit building always includes room for selling gear. It is a foolish person who sells gear simply to sell gear. So think carefully my friend. Your work with the 55 f/2.8 is first rate.

It would seem we have two different types of "collectors" in this family. One who has quite a number of lenses in their arsenal (and has no problem acquiring more). And one who likes only enough to fill their bag. Nothing wrong with either by the way. I think I fall in the latter group along with Ray. I don't like having a lens I own just sitting there not being used. I have lenses that don't get used but maybe once or twice a year so I figure that's enough to make me hold on to them. But like you said Curtis, I never sell a lens just to sell it. If I sell one, it's to help finance another one. Half the fun of all of this is doing the research and hunt to purchase another old beauty.

One more thing. When I first got back to using these wonders, after years of absence, I bought just about anything just to start shooting. But now, if I want one, I find myself looking for the lenses in excellent condition. They have to look good too!

I came to the same conclusion some time ago inspired by Dean who was adding mint copies of lenses to his modest kit. I replaced a 28 f/2 and 180 f/2.8 when I found like new copies of each and when shopping generally looked for the cleanest copy I could find. Of course, the earlier the version, the older the lens, the challenge in finding an EX+ lens with the AI conversion kit is significant. That led to buying two mint copy pre-AI lenses after already owning converted copies of the same lenses, then swapping out the aperture ring. That is a bit obsessive... I don't think that will happen again, though the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd I've been enjoying so much has a few blemishes. But since I own a mint copy of the 135 f/2.8 K AI'd with the same optical formula and same substantial body, I doubt I'll look for another Q.C. I say that in part because the Q.C. doesn't have a scalloped focusing ring I've become so fond of. It is not an old beauty as is the S.C. version of the 55 or the N.C. version of the 24 or the P version of the 105. I really love these converted pre-AI lenses. But I now own them all, so not much shopping left to do. The lenses not getting much use are all AI-s lenses and I have no intention of selling any of them.

I kind of have the opposite mindset. I think the pristine ones are fine and beautiful to look at, but its the beaters that tug at me. I would rather have one that looks well used, as long as the glass is clean and the aperture works as it should and it can focus properly, than a brand new one. Why? When I go shooting and lack inspiration, I will think about the lens I am shooting through and what it might have seen in its life. Usually get inspired there. A new lens (of this variety, MF) just doesn't feel right to me.

jaredvanb
Total Posts: 43

kwoodard wrote:
I kind of have the opposite mindset. I think the pristine ones are fine and beautiful to look at, but its the beaters that tug at me. I would rather have one that looks well used, as long as the glass is clean and the aperture works as it should and it can focus properly, than a brand new one. Why? When I go shooting and lack inspiration, I will think about the lens I am shooting through and what it might have seen in its life. Usually get inspired there. A new lens (of this variety, MF) just doesn't feel right to me.

This is pretty damn deep in itself... Makes one think a little bit...

MarkdV
Total Posts: 773

One quick one of some more Edelwiess. I have no idea what the insect is, but loving the 135mm + tubes combo. foreground sharpness and smooth silk for a background.

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3047

Mark I can't believe you get edelweiss in your balcony : in my mind these flowers usually grow at an altitude of mini 2000 m.

MarkdV

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Mark I can't believe you get edelweiss in your balcony : in my mind these flowers usually grow at an altitude of mini 2000 m.

1800m is the quoted altitude for them, but I'm at 500m and it grows like crazy. It's the first thing I grew here and it keeps flowering every year. I've lived with this plant longer than with my wife.

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3047

Is it GMO edelweiss ?

MarkdV

Nah…at least I've never seen it wandering around like a triffid. It's just like me, stubbornly happy far from home.

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

hello everyone, I am back! Well, I am sort of back! I have just re-purchased the awe Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AIS, to pair to my Nikon D800, I am sched to get today, and I can't wait! I also finally got both my Metz 60CT-1's! I sure hope I can make decent images! I would past some Rollei 6008 Pro. film shots, but, rules are rules! xD I can't wait, and hopefully, i dont spam!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1223786/999999#lastmessage

georgms
Total Posts: 3516

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
hello everyone, I am back! Well, I am sort of back! I have just re-purchased the awe Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AIS, to pair to my Nikon D800, I am sched to get today, and I can't wait! I also finally got both my Metz 60CT-1's! I sure hope I can make decent images! I would past some Rollei 6008 Pro. film shots, but, rules are rules! xD I can't wait, and hopefully, i dont spam!

Welcome back! The sophisticated Rollei 6008 is my dream machine;-)

georgms
Total Posts: 3516

Andy, that 55/2.8 Micro-shot looks great!

Thanks for the comments on the fisheye-shot!
Here's another one from yesterday, a flower or something green close to a flower ;-)

45 PC-E wide open

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

georgms wrote:
a.RodriguezPix wrote:

Welcome back! The sophisticated Rollei 6008 is my dream machine;-)

its an awesome work of art, now, i just need to make it shine!

amlsml
Total Posts: 1436

Sorry for the flowers, but trying to see which of these len's are my favorite. Is there a way to adjust focus with a MF lens to a specific camera? Can you fine tune like a newer lens? Is there a resource on why certain MF len's were made? what purpose? thanks again for a great thread

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13636

I'm afraid Andy its all on you. Thats not to say there can't be problems with the lens itself though I've had no apparent problem with any of the lenses I've bought over the last three years. You're shooting with the D600 that has an excellent viewfinder. The best thing to do is practice, practice, practice. With time it becomes much easier, at least it will if you have a steady hand and decent eyesight.

And please don't apologize for posting flowers because if that were objectionable on this thread, I'd be in big trouble because i love to shoot flowers. In fact, I'll add another just so yours won't feel lonely on this page...

Shot with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd with a 20mm Vivitar extension tube at f/5.6.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3140

Nice shot Andy. Are all the lenses in your profile MF lenses? Impressive collection.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3598

If you're looking for a backstory, Nikon's The Thousand and One Nights (ala Arabian Nights I presume) page has quite a few tales to tell

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/

MarkdV

Here's a couple from the 55mm micro as a portrait lens from a lazy Sunday at the playground

rattymouse
Total Posts: 5012

kwoodard wrote:

I'm in this camp too. As long as the glass is clean, and the mechanics works as new, the appearance matters not. I'm impressed at how some pro photographers bang their gear around, not caring at all how it looks. Thom Hogan took a shot of a motor cross bike blasting by him at very close range. It was kicking up dirt and rocks like crazy, delivering 5 direct hits to the glass of his Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 lens. What did he do? He kept on shooting and then wiped down his lens once done. Amazing. I lost a lot of my gear appearance obsession once I figured out it had nothing to do with photography.

Also, as you said, the history of a lens is told by its bumps and bruises.

amlsml
Total Posts: 1436

Kevin, yes all manual focus lens's. Bought a bag of gear from a neighbor who hadn't used it for years. He still had the 28 mounted to his FM2! I love the workmanship and the feel and was really shocked by the performance. When I stumbled on this thread, it kind of fueled the fire, so I bought a few more from guys right here!

Chin- Thanks for the link, exactly what I was looking for. beside using these lens's, it is kind of cool to know why they were made. Why 43-68 zoom for example?

Curtis- thanks for the fellow flower shot, your lighting is also spot on!!! Much to learn for me.

George- love the 16 mm shots, great view of a beautiful place

Zichar
Total Posts: 3598

rattymouse wrote:
I'm in this camp too. As long as the glass is clean, and the mechanics works as new, the appearance matters not. I'm impressed at how some pro photographers bang their gear around, not caring at all how it looks. Thom Hogan took a shot of a motor cross bike blasting by him at very close range. It was kicking up dirt and rocks like crazy, delivering 5 direct hits to the glass of his Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 lens. What did he do? He kept on shooting and then wiped down his lens once done. Amazing. I lost a lot of my gear appearance obsession once I figured out it had nothing to do with photography.

Also, as you said, the history of a lens is told by its bumps and bruises.

Ahh rattymouse, that's exactly what I remind myself with too when using the 14-24mm - Thom Hogan and that motorcross shot! Haha as they say, great minds, great minds

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13636

I've really been enjoying your work Mark. Who would have thought the 55 micro lens would make a fine portrait lens? And your work with tubes is first rate. Keep em coming...

1       2       3              3012      
       3014              4436       4437       end