Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/3011

1       2       3              3011      
       3013              4247       4248       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13101

Your close work is beautiful Ray but you can get there with the PK-13 using a number of lenses. I don't sell lenses for the simple reason the return on investment is not that great AND there is always a possibility that somewhere down the line, the lens I thought was surplus becomes useful. I figure the lenses are happy in the cabinet behind me and should I ever need one or another, I'll know where to find it. Of course, if you need money for another purchase, kit building always includes room for selling gear. It is a foolish person who sells gear simply to sell gear. So think carefully my friend. Your work with the 55 f/2.8 is first rate.

Here's another shot with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd from today's shooting...

No tubes at f/2.8.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 719

Wow, what a weekend! So many amazing new pics. Historical portraits, flowers, holiday beaches (and a honeymoon, congratulations), more flowers with bees, hot cars, children and much much more.
Excellent work everyone and I've enjoyed catching up on the work from the weekend that you've all shared.

Here is a couple from last night with the 135mm and 28mm of tubes. An Iris and the typical Swiss flower, the Edelweiss. Young men, to prove their prowess, are meant to climb the mountains to find this flower for their loved ones as it grows in rocky outcrops high up. I would like you all to think of me hanging onto the cliff-face by one finger to bring you this shot, although the truth is I found it much easier to grow my own in a more accessable location called my balcony. Brains over brawn every time.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9303

CGrindahl wrote:
Your close work is beautiful Ray but you can get there with the PK-13 using a number of lenses. I don't sell lenses for the simple reason the return on investment is not that great AND there is always a possibility that somewhere down the line, the lens I thought was surplus becomes useful. I figure the lenses are happy in the cabinet behind me and should I ever need one or another, I'll know where to find it. Of course, if you need money for another purchase, kit building always includes room for selling gear. It is a foolish person who sells gear simply to sell gear. So think carefully my friend. Your work with the 55 f/2.8 is first rate.

It would seem we have two different types of "collectors" in this family. One who has quite a number of lenses in their arsenal (and has no problem acquiring more). And one who likes only enough to fill their bag. Nothing wrong with either by the way. I think I fall in the latter group along with Ray. I don't like having a lens I own just sitting there not being used. I have lenses that don't get used but maybe once or twice a year so I figure that's enough to make me hold on to them. But like you said Curtis, I never sell a lens just to sell it. If I sell one, it's to help finance another one. Half the fun of all of this is doing the research and hunt to purchase another old beauty.

One more thing. When I first got back to using these wonders, after years of absence, I bought just about anything just to start shooting. But now, if I want one, I find myself looking for the lenses in excellent condition. They have to look good too!

Kry27
Total Posts: 172

Back to the mountains again...

Where we went:

Nikon D3 - Nikon 16mm 1:3.5 MF fish eye lens
16mm, 1:16, 1/125, ISO 200, A, Matrix + 1/2

First day, also known as "climbing up"

16mm, 1:16, 1/125, ISO 200, A, Matrix - 1/2

16mm, 1:16, 1/125, ISO 200, A, Matrix - 1/2

Kry27

Second day, also known as "losing height":

16mm, 1:16, 1/90, ISO 200, A, Matrix +/- 0

16mm, 1:16, 1/90, ISO 200, A, Matrix +/- 0

16mm, 1:22, 1/125, ISO 200, A, Matrix - 1/2

Our small group on the way home:

16mm, 1:5.6, 1/30, ISO 1600, A, Matrix +/- 0

georgms
Total Posts: 3403

Roland, very cool shots with the 16/3.5!

Mark, I like the "landing pad" for it's "no frills" composition and soft tones/colors.

Curtis, the venerable 135/2.8 QC seems to be a really great performer.

Bert, love your latest flowers taken with the 200/4: the light is really great and makes the blossoms "glow".

Jared, the background of the "Place of quiet"-image looks like done with water-colors. Great effect and very suitable for this subject

Paul, wonderful portraits done with the exclusive Noct and the "cheap" 75-150 Series E!

Chuong and Ray: great work up-close with the 55/2.8 Micro!

georgms
Total Posts: 3403

Leighton and Bert: thanks for your comments on the portraits!

Here's an image shot yesterday at the local river. I was playing with the built-in-filters of the neat 16/3.5 Fisheye-Nikkor and also with the in-camera-filter-settings.
I've lost track what kind of filter(s) was used for this image, if memory serves it was the yellow-filter on both lens and in camera (shot as monochrome JPEG):

an der Warnow von georgsfoto auf Flickr
a messy shot without clear composition, but I like it somehow

amlsml
Total Posts: 1390

Really great shots in here, love the 16 3.5 and the flowers are awesome. Motivated me to fool with my 55 2.8 micro

Kry27

georgms wrote:

Here's an image shot yesterday at the local river. I was playing with the built-in-filters of the neat 16/3.5 Fisheye-Nikkor and also with the in-camera-filter-settings.
I've lost track what kind of filter(s) was used for this image, if memory serves it was the yellow-filter on both lens and in camera (shot as monochrome JPEG):

Cool look, (well, warm, actually, and in a way...

I got to try out those filters too. I like your photo!

MarkdV

Great shots from the mountains Roland. Making very good use of the 16mm.

Very dreamy shot of the rivers edge Georg with a very nice starburst.

Lovely shot of the flowers Andy, the 55mm micro is such a fab lens.

MarkdV

Another one of the flower and the 135mm + tubes. Not the sharpest of shots, I don't have Roland's skill at capturing high speed insects so well. Maybe I need a holiday in Sweden to practice.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13101

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

It would seem we have two different types of "collectors" in this family. One who has quite a number of lenses in their arsenal (and has no problem acquiring more). And one who likes only enough to fill their bag. Nothing wrong with either by the way. I think I fall in the latter group along with Ray. I don't like having a lens I own just sitting there not being used. I have lenses that don't get used but maybe once or twice a year so I figure that's enough to make me hold on to them. But like you said Curtis, I never sell a lens just to sell it. If I sell one, it's to help finance another one. Half the fun of all of this is doing the research and hunt to purchase another old beauty.

One more thing. When I first got back to using these wonders, after years of absence, I bought just about anything just to start shooting. But now, if I want one, I find myself looking for the lenses in excellent condition. They have to look good too!

I came to the same conclusion some time ago inspired by Dean who was adding mint copies of lenses to his modest kit. I replaced a 28 f/2 and 180 f/2.8 when I found like new copies of each and when shopping generally looked for the cleanest copy I could find. Of course, the earlier the version, the older the lens, the challenge in finding an EX+ lens with the AI conversion kit is significant. That led to buying two mint copy pre-AI lenses after already owning converted copies of the same lenses, then swapping out the aperture ring. That is a bit obsessive... I don't think that will happen again, though the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd I've been enjoying so much has a few blemishes. But since I own a mint copy of the 135 f/2.8 K AI'd with the same optical formula and same substantial body, I doubt I'll look for another Q.C. I say that in part because the Q.C. doesn't have a scalloped focusing ring I've become so fond of. It is not an old beauty as is the S.C. version of the 55 or the N.C. version of the 24 or the P version of the 105. I really love these converted pre-AI lenses. But I now own them all, so not much shopping left to do. The lenses not getting much use are all AI-s lenses and I have no intention of selling any of them.

mp356
Total Posts: 4290

Lieutenant Z wrote:
gooseberries from my garden -)
180 with tube :

Philippe, I like the backlight on the gooseberries. Nicely seen.

mp356

georgms wrote:

Scott, thanks a lot for your "Tres Hombres"-test! I think it's safe to say that all 3 lenses are great performers. The good close-range-performance of the 105/2.5 was a bit surprising for me.

Thank you Georg. I too was surprised at how well the 105 2.5 with tubes did against the macros. Maybe Curtis has the right idea!

mp356

adh67 wrote:
a few more with the 200mm f4 and some post processing.

Bert

Bert, the first one here is very nice. The 200 f4 is a joy to use and easy on the wallet.

mp356

raboof wrote:
I am still super busy with work. I took a 55mm f2.8 with the PK-13 for about 15mins today. The bees were quite friendly. They were about less than a foot from the front of my lens. No crop.

Very nice Chuong.

mp356

MDoc9523 wrote:
Nicely done Chuong! I am thinking of selling my 55mm 2.8 AIS with the PK-13, so coincidently I was shooting with mine tonight to see if I really wanted to sell. Here's a couple shots:

These are beautiful Ray. My 55 2.8 is up for sale. I decided that I like the 105 2.8 ais for the longer working distance.

mp356

georgms wrote:

I like it too Georg. When you figure out the filter settings in the 16 3.5, let me know. This is something that I am starting to experiment with.

jaredvanb
Total Posts: 43

georgms wrote:
Jared, the background of the "Place of quiet"-image looks like done with water-colors. Great effect and very suitable for this subject

Thanks George. Love your riverside image taken with the filters...

Oosty
Total Posts: 4036

Awesome cars, flowers, reflections, BEER, a poodle, mammoth bones(!), gooseberries, "vintage" b&W's from Germany, amazing macros, one "crap" sign, mountains , valleys ...what more can one ask for?

Well done everyone and thanks for sharing.

1       2       3              3011      
       3013              4247       4248       end