Ronny
Your flowers and flyers are awesome.

Thank you for sharing such great pix.

Specially love the hummers.

Steve

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4676

rattymouse wrote:
I dont think I posted this before. A view of the concrete canyon out one of the windows in my apartment. As you look at this, remember I live in the outskirts of Shanghai, where it is considerably LESS crowded than downtown.

24mm f/2.0 w/ Ektar film.

So many satellite dishes...!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Kevin yours is the same as mine so it will have to be cut to be used

Photosynthesis site and I believe the Mir site both say it takes kit #5.

Type---------Lens------------Serial Numbers---------Part A
K--------------50mm f1.4---2797021 3750400--------#5

Correct. 7 elements in 5 groups after that it is 7 elements in 6 groups. Unfortunately I could not find kit 5 only kit 4

adh67
Total Posts: 561

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
adh67 wrote:
a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Lieutenant Z wrote:
What a great catch, Americo!

Lieutenant Z, Thank you very much! It was not as sharp as I really wanted it to be, in orde to feel more comfortable showing it on a forum, but heck, my son loves soccer, and I love photography! I do have more, and I do have autofocus versions, with my 50mm 1.8D, but I'll save those for the appropriate area! I really did try my best with the manual focus 85mm 1.4 AIS, and I am really proud of how they truned out! I think I was really out of my league considering futbol/soccer/fotball/football/footy/footie/footer/Gaelic football/ฟุตบอล/فوتبال/please add your language here, is a very high action sport!

Americo, those are a great start, and I don't think you are out of your league. I know from recent experience that it is not easy shooting "voetbal" (the dutch translation) , especially using MF.
I am not sure what shutterspeed you used, but by looking at them your results would be even better when choosing a faster shutterspeed in order to "freeze" the action and the ball.

Regards
Bert

Thank you very much! I tried to use the best ISO, max aperture, plus shutter speed when possible, but I think i should work on my reaction more now! it was kind of my first attempt at this, and I also skipped my tripod, for no reason other than being lazy! Thanks again for the comments, and the translation, pretty cool!

I have the EXIF info.

Additional info (show less)

Settings: 1/125 /16
ISO 250

85 mm

All Rights Reserved (edit)

I think a good rule for action sport photography is to start with the shutterspeed and then adjust aperture and ISO accordingly. I read somewhere that in order to freeze soccer action with kids, you would need a shutterspeed of at least 1/400. At those speeds, and with your 85mm lens you would not need a tripod, that would only limit your movement.

Regards
Bert

adh67
Total Posts: 561

kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Georg this one really sings

I agree (I tried to reply with this earlier, wouldn't attach the pic). I like the in camera processing too. Very nice.

+1 Nice capture.

Stokesey
Total Posts: 1543

MDOC

Glad I have found something in the color spot that gives pleasure.

I'm of the same mind as you. Don't normally like them.

But I was playing around, and I thought it actually looked ok

So thank for the compliment

Steve

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

adh67 wrote:
a.RodriguezPix wrote:
adh67 wrote:
a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Lieutenant Z wrote:
What a great catch, Americo!

Lieutenant Z, Thank you very much! It was not as sharp as I really wanted it to be, in orde to feel more comfortable showing it on a forum, but heck, my son loves soccer, and I love photography! I do have more, and I do have autofocus versions, with my 50mm 1.8D, but I'll save those for the appropriate area! I really did try my best with the manual focus 85mm 1.4 AIS, and I am really proud of how they truned out! I think I was really out of my league considering futbol/soccer/fotball/football/footy/footie/footer/Gaelic football/ฟุตบอล/فوتبال/please add your language here, is a very high action sport!

Americo, those are a great start, and I don't think you are out of your league. I know from recent experience that it is not easy shooting "voetbal" (the dutch translation) , especially using MF.
I am not sure what shutterspeed you used, but by looking at them your results would be even better when choosing a faster shutterspeed in order to "freeze" the action and the ball.

Regards
Bert

Thank you very much! I tried to use the best ISO, max aperture, plus shutter speed when possible, but I think i should work on my reaction more now! it was kind of my first attempt at this, and I also skipped my tripod, for no reason other than being lazy! Thanks again for the comments, and the translation, pretty cool!

I have the EXIF info.

Additional info (show less)

Settings: 1/125 /16
ISO 250

85 mm

All Rights Reserved (edit)

I think a good rule for action sport photography is to start with the shutterspeed and then adjust aperture and ISO accordingly. I read somewhere that in order to freeze soccer action with kids, you would need a shutterspeed of at least 1/400. At those speeds, and with your 85mm lens you would not need a tripod, that would only limit your movement.

Regards
Bert

Oh, I see! I assumed that only applied to AF lenses! I think I will crank the ISO on my D800 a little higher as well, even though it was super sunny that day, I think I would still need to do so? Thanks again!

kwoodard

adh67 wrote:I think a good rule for action sport photography is to start with the shutterspeed and then adjust aperture and ISO accordingly. I read somewhere that in order to freeze soccer action with kids, you would need a shutterspeed of at least 1/400. At those speeds, and with your 85mm lens you would not need a tripod, that would only limit your movement.

Regards
Bert

I was going to suggest the same Americo (I hope I am remembering your name properly). I tried something new over the weekend (after talking to the folks here) and I set my aperture and speed manually and let the camera pick ISO. My early results are quite positive and would suggest the same to you. Since I was in bright sunlight and wanted to eliminate any shake induced blur with the focal length I was using (500/8), I set my min shutter speed to 1/800 (in the ISO settings), set my camera to 1/1000, aperture is fixed at f/8, and let the camera adjust itself. Most of the shots came out right or close. I would suggest you follow Bert's advice of a minimum of 1/400 on the shutter, but consider going faster, and let the camera choose ISO. The D800 has so much dynamic range and low noise, you should be able to shoot ISO 1250 without any appreciable noise in the shots (if needed). In this case, a tripod would probably slow you down. A monopod may be helpful though. I have come to LOVE my monopod.

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5049

rattymouse wrote:
Outstanding dragon fly shot Ronnie!

Could perhaps be fun if you now are interested in zeiss 21
works for dragonfly to

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1189320/31#lastmessage

rankamateur
Total Posts: 877

The great Wilmington, DE waterfront. They need to fix the streetlights they are crooked. 16mm 3.5 Fish

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

works for dragonfly to

That is one sedate dragonfly to allow you to get so close with the Distagon!

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

rattymouse wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

works for dragonfly to

For some reason that shot he,Ronny _Olsson, made with the 21mm Zeiss, makes me wonder what the results would be like with a reverse macro shot! lol!

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5049

rattymouse wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

works for dragonfly to

photos are taken at the closest focusing distance about 22cm from the focus plan .. could almost touch the dragonfly with the lens hood .. used f5.6
And yes it was sedate .. He probably wanted to be photographed

zippy_monster
Total Posts: 158

Americo --

To the best of my recollection those dolls have been a fixture of Clarion Alley for a few years now. They've got some company in the form of these guys too:

D600 * 20/4 AI * f/11 * ISO 560 * 1/100th

designdog
Total Posts: 227

Ratty mouse:

Slightly off topic, but I recommend this book to you: The Shanghai Factor, by Charles McCarry.

Apart from the obvious, being a expat in China, the book is very well written and suspenseful. Modern leCarre. I am just winding up the Kindle version on my ipad, or I would send it to you. Anyway, check it out!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I'm a great fan of LeCarre and have definitely enjoyed Charles McCarry's fiction. This is a new release. Thanks for the heads up. My reading is sporadic and seems to wander from genre to genre but espionage fiction has always intrigued me. I just ordered it from my local library...

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

designdog wrote:
Ratty mouse:

Slightly off topic, but I recommend this book to you: The Shanghai Factor, by Charles McCarry.

Apart from the obvious, being a expat in China, the book is very well written and suspenseful. Modern leCarre. I am just winding up the Kindle version on my ipad, or I would send it to you. Anyway, check it out!

Wow....did not expect a book recommendation in this thread! Thanks. I shall look into that. I just bought a Kindle for my wife. We should have it in hand in a few weeks so that might be my book to try out with this new device.

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

I came across a pow-wow today. Grabbed some shots with the 105/2.5. I'm not sure how I feel about this lens, it feels so tight. So does 85mm. Pretty much anything over my 55 feels too long. But sometimes you can't or shouldn't get closer.

I'll share one for now, have a few more worth posting but I'll save em for tomorrow. Also took some shots with the x100s. I've only gone through and edited a handful, full size stuff is up on flickr if you're interested.

kwoodard

A close up from the weekend. Full stack of Vivitar tubes and the trusty 80-200/4.5. A full stack with the 80-200/4.5 isn't very tight, the whole thing flexed... Only color correction and cropping on this.

The bud is about 1cm in diameter.

_DSC9502 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

drlouis
Total Posts: 43

nice texture, Kevin!

by the way, hows the back?

1       2       3              2989      
       2991              5885       5886       end