Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2988

1       2       3              2988      
       2990              4246       4247       end

adh67
Total Posts: 561

CGrindahl wrote:
Wonderful set Rafael. Gorgeous colors. It almost feels like autumn rather than the heart of a very hot summer. My partner and I escaped this afternoon to the western part of Marin that is closest to the Pacific Ocean. Great relief. Temperatures in my home town of San Anselmo has moderated somewhat from the 101.2 on Friday. Yesterday is was in the high nineties and today is was ONLY 97. I won't attribute it to global warming but this is definitely not my kind of weather. But at Point Reyes Station where we had a fantastic lunch the high was SEVENTY degrees.

I took a few photos, this one in a shop we wandered through. I used the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd and shot wide open... mmm good!

Beautiful, reminds me of a painting.

Bert

adh67
Total Posts: 561

jhinkey wrote:
Greetings from Hot Springs, South Dakota.

Long day - up at 3am, flight at 6am, and after a connector in Salt Lake City we finally made it to South Dakota around noon.

Had a chance after dinner to get out around the cabin to take some images while hanging out in the fields surrounding the place.

Great set, love the dog pictures.

Bert

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5958

Thanks Bert!

I've not had a chance to look at your images until just now - fantastic stuff - welcome to the MF Nikkor thread it looks like you'll be a great addition to the already talented folks that inhabit this small corner of the internet . . .

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2884

Great set John, tough to pick a favorite. Your panos always shine.

zippy_monster
Total Posts: 158

Bert's bees!

leighton w
Total Posts: 9303

mp356 wrote:
Shot in some harsh (mid-day) light today so tried to make the best of it. Let me know what you think. All taken with the 50 1.4 SC.

Scott

It's always hard shooting under these conditions, but I think you made the best of it. I like this one the best.

leighton w

adh67 wrote:
A few this afternoon playing with the 50mm f1.8 and extension tubes

Bert

Bert, great work with the tubes. This one is a stunner!

leighton w

rafaelcasd wrote:

Leighton has migrated from Icicle art to People art

My verdict is in, my 15mm 5.6 is superior to my 15mm 3.5, on the latter Nikon improved it, but did not remove all the haze, so it is going back.

Took the 15mm 5.6, aka QDC, for a spin looking for magical light, the weather is awful hot and humid, and the sky is flat and gray, so needed the help of the scrub oaks, this is all I have from the weekend, the QDC is actually quite excellent and my sample needs a lot less work than the 3.5 to get in perfect focus.

These are full res from the D800 on flickr if you care to look

nikon nikkor 15mm 5.6 D800 Lake hodges scrub oaks 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Thank you for the nice comment.
I really really love the light of all three. But the light, distortion, and the way the limbs are arranged makes this shot a real winner! Well seen and well done!

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
Wonderful set Rafael. Gorgeous colors. It almost feels like autumn rather than the heart of a very hot summer. My partner and I escaped this afternoon to the western part of Marin that is closest to the Pacific Ocean. Great relief. Temperatures in my home town of San Anselmo has moderated somewhat from the 101.2 on Friday. Yesterday is was in the high nineties and today is was ONLY 97. I won't attribute it to global warming but this is definitely not my kind of weather. But at Point Reyes Station where we had a fantastic lunch the high was SEVENTY degrees.

I took a few photos, this one in a shop we wandered through. I used the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd and shot wide open... mmm good!

I'll post a few more taken at shops in Point Reyes but I want to share one photo taken with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd during a walk Sue and i took at the Vedanta Retreat Center in Olema. I converted the image using Silver Efex Pro 2.

Blessedly it has cooled off quite a bit. The temperature at the moment is 72. I'll sleep tonight...

I love the softness of the flower shot, almost like a watercolor. Sue's portrait is very well done too, but she looks a little worried. Or is it that you're just pointing a camera at her again?

leighton w

Matt OHarver wrote:
Georg I love your black and white conversions. Curtis your Sue image is very touching.

All of the flower shots and bug shots are awesome too! I miss you guys and gals!

I grabbed the 85MM F1.4 today as my parents brought middle brothers grandkids with them for a visit. Gage was ready for the camera, Summer wasn't too sure about having her photo taken!

MJO_2632 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

Matt

Matt, always nice to see you. I love this touching moment with Brandon.

leighton w

jhinkey wrote:
Greetings from Hot Springs, South Dakota.

Long day - up at 3am, flight at 6am, and after a connector in Salt Lake City we finally made it to South Dakota around noon.

Had a chance after dinner to get out around the cabin to take some images while hanging out in the fields surrounding the place.

John, what a great set with great light. And that cabin looks like it's plunked right out in the middle of nowhere! These are all very good as it would appear you have mastered the 45mm. I like this one the best! Have a nice vacation and show us more from this part of the world.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 718

mp356 wrote:
Shot in some harsh (mid-day) light today so tried to make the best of it. Let me know what you think. All taken with the 50 1.4 SC.
Scott

I think numbers 1 and 3 make great use of the light.

pburke
Total Posts: 2058

rafaelcasd wrote:
rankamateur wrote:
So I guess we were all asleep or out doing something last night??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKKOR-16mm-Fisheye-3-5-/121133841606?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7mLMCG1is0%252F9i8o8sPE6eBIBjgg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

We need to shut down this thread because we are driving prices too high!

Keh is selling this 16mm 3.5 with scratched in the glass and fungus for $438!

The way this lens is consistently being priced at a level that would make it the second most expensive lens I own has had me reconsider how much I want the 16mm f/3.5. I used to have a Rokinon 8mm on my DX body and the quality of the images is easily comparable to the 16mm on FX. Other than not being able to post here, I see no reason to buy a $600 fisheye for my D600, when the same money buys me a used D300 or D7000 plus a Rokinon 8mm (which can be modded to be a full circular fisheye on FX). Unless I stumble on one of those amazing deals below $350, I am quite sure I won't be adding the 16mm to my lens kit. I have a feeling all the really cool MF glass will continue to get more and more expensive as more people get into film making with DSLRs.

rd4tile
Total Posts: 2218

Can someone give me their overall impression of the 50 300 F4.5 zoom?

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5090

Samy Love your Smithsonian photos. It's been 30 years since I was there
Franche very nice floral shots especially the first one!
Leighton your flowers shots are outstanding
Georg wonderful bokeh with the 28mm 2.0!
Scott you did a fantastic job metering those mid-day shots
Bert your work with the tubes is amazing!
Rafael these photos rank near the top. Great dynamic range and worth a second look

Curtis this shot should be hanging in your house

Matt precious shots using the 85mm 1.4 Possibly the best ever Nikkor
John I am totally blown away from these shots using the 45mm -
Thank you all for your kind comments on my Charleston photos. I have also been working on some of the Smoky Mountains photos that I miss first time around. We have been having a lot of rain lately so I haven't had much of a chance to shoot, so I took time for editing
Ronny I had missed this one before - love it You are getting way to good at this and you are making us look bad!

Leighton I missed these extraordinary shots from before. A-1 use of a B&W photo!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5090

Here are a few of the over looked photos from our trip last fall to the Smoky Mountains, These were taken in the Cades Cove area using the 24mm 2.8 ais and the 135mm 2.8 AI

jaredvanb
Total Posts: 43

Oosty wrote:
Jared, baie welkom! It's great to have another S African on this thread. Good places to look for Ai and Ais glass in SA are gumtree, bidorbuy or the classifieds at outdoor photography. Very nice images of the daisies. Keep them coming. Peter

Peter, baie dankie man!

Thanks for the gumtree tip, completely forgot about that site as I was only looking on the ODP classifieds! I may have found just the lens I am after a few minutes ago! Fingers crossed!!

Glad you liked the daisies, will shoot some more when they bloom again.

adh67 wrote:
Jared, great flower shots.

Thank you Bert, love your close up fly shots! Great work!

saph wrote:
Jared, bright colorful flowers against a black background always shine, very nice.

Thank you Samy, much appreciated.

rafaelcasd wrote:
Jared, love the flowers, how do you get that pitch black background?

Thank you Rafael. To get the pitch black background I purchased some thick black material and doubled it up and propped it up behind the flower against the wall. Then I did a touch of post processing in Photoshop Elements 10 whereby you would use the magic wand to select the flower, then invert the selection to select the black part of the image. Then you can just make the area black with the paint bucket tool.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13100

rd4tile wrote:

If you're patient you'll surely get an answer from Rafael in San Diego who owns the lens and occasionally post images taken with it. He is very serious in his evaluation of gear, so he will doubtless give you a very good sense of what that lens is capable of doing in its various iterations. The last two versions have a different optical design and have ED elements added. I believe Rafael has the newest version, the AI-s.

Rafael works during the day and generally shows up late in the evening.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13100

Thanks Bert, Leighton and Ray for comments on my D700 - 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd "watercolor." That was definitely the feeling I had when I first opened the image. These fast lenses are a delight to use, no doubt.

rd4tile
Total Posts: 2218

CGrindahl wrote:
rd4tile wrote:

If you're patient you'll surely get an answer from Rafael in San Diego who owns the lens and occasionally post images taken with it. He is very serious in his evaluation of gear, so he will doubtless give you a very good sense of what that lens is capable of doing in its various iterations. The last two versions have a different optical design and have ED elements added. I believe Rafael has the newest version, the AI-s.

Rafael works during the day and generally shows up late in the evening.

Thanks Curtis, I'll check back and now that I know he shoots with it I can look at some of his previous posts. I am looking for info specifically on the ED AI-S version.

Rich

1       2       3              2988      
       2990              4246       4247       end