/forum/topic/929565/2988

1       2       3              2988      
       2990              5885       5886       end

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5049

Thanks Guys
Great shot Phillippe
Rafael : Great battleship shot

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
georgms wrote:
Kevin, the 55/1.2 (a late Ai-model in my camera-bag, couldn't find the "cool" SC-variant) is my favorite "50" and I have a few too ;-)
I can't speak for others but found focusing the super-fast 50's on a D7000 to be challenging to say the least.

I already know that it will be hard to focus, but historically, I will focus around 2.8 then open it up to shoot. How much brighter will I be with a 1.2 over a 1.4? I know the math difference from 1.8 on, below that I don't quite know if its a 1/3 stop or what. I ask because I have a very nice 50/1.4 K variant that I can either convert myself or bite the bullet and get the AI kit (which is $50 now, those kits are going up in price now everywhere for the 'good' kits). What do you think?

I think before you invest $300-400 you should get the 50mm 1.4 converted. It has amazingly thin DOF and the bokeh is wonderful. It might just be what you are looking for

You know, I think I will do that. I need to clean up one of my definite sells and get it advertised. Do you think I should buy the AI kit or convert? I feel weird taking a file to an otherwise EX+ to LN- lens. Plus, I cannot find my flat file, I think someone might have borrowed it.

Mine is the first K version so no ai kit was available I had my friend cut mine in his machine shop. If you have the K new there is a kit on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-4-AI-conversion-kit-for-50mm-f-1-4-Nikkor-lens-/200949086635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec97fb9ab

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

What a great catch, Americo!
Ronny stunning macros as usual!

leighton w
Total Posts: 12616

MDoc9523 wrote:
Curtis you did a great job with my photo. I will have to find a photo that requires a lot more of your expertise. I can't wait to see what Leighton does with it.

Well, here's my version along with a snapshot of the LR adjustments.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12616

Georg - I love the set from your holiday.

Philippe - Man, what a base camp!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4677

MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
georgms wrote:
Kevin, the 55/1.2 (a late Ai-model in my camera-bag, couldn't find the "cool" SC-variant) is my favorite "50" and I have a few too ;-)
I can't speak for others but found focusing the super-fast 50's on a D7000 to be challenging to say the least.

I already know that it will be hard to focus, but historically, I will focus around 2.8 then open it up to shoot. How much brighter will I be with a 1.2 over a 1.4? I know the math difference from 1.8 on, below that I don't quite know if its a 1/3 stop or what. I ask because I have a very nice 50/1.4 K variant that I can either convert myself or bite the bullet and get the AI kit (which is $50 now, those kits are going up in price now everywhere for the 'good' kits). What do you think?

I think before you invest $300-400 you should get the 50mm 1.4 converted. It has amazingly thin DOF and the bokeh is wonderful. It might just be what you are looking for

You know, I think I will do that. I need to clean up one of my definite sells and get it advertised. Do you think I should buy the AI kit or convert? I feel weird taking a file to an otherwise EX+ to LN- lens. Plus, I cannot find my flat file, I think someone might have borrowed it.

Mine is the first K version so no ai kit was available I had my friend cut mine in his machine shop. If you have the K new there is a kit on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-4-AI-conversion-kit-for-50mm-f-1-4-Nikkor-lens-/200949086635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec97fb9ab

Mine takes kit #5. My lens is almost in as good of shape as the one on the Photosynthesis site... This is their photo.

MDoc9523

Nicely done Leighton I like yours better than mine
The only adjustment I would make is to darken the grass in foreground maybe a third to half of a step.

MDoc9523

Georg this only really sings

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

Outstanding dragon fly shot Ronnie!

kwoodard

MDoc9523 wrote:
Georg this one really sings

I agree (I tried to reply with this earlier, wouldn't attach the pic). I like the in camera processing too. Very nice.

MDoc9523

Phillippe another stunner. Your daughter is into photography also and that's great to see
Americo nice capture. Glad to see you shooting in the "real" world
Ronny a big wow on the yellow flower
Kevin yours is the same as mine so it will have to be cut to be used

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

Lieutenant Z wrote:

Lieutenant Z, Thank you very much! It was not as sharp as I really wanted it to be, in orde to feel more comfortable showing it on a forum, but heck, my son loves soccer, and I love photography! I do have more, and I do have autofocus versions, with my 50mm 1.8D, but I'll save those for the appropriate area! I really did try my best with the manual focus 85mm 1.4 AIS, and I am really proud of how they truned out! I think I was really out of my league considering futbol/soccer/fotball/football/footy/footie/footer/Gaelic football/ฟุตบอล/فوتبال/please add your language here, is a very high action sport!

_DSC2206 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

_DSC2207 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5049

rattymouse wrote:

Thanks guys
Ratty: Think 180mm with tubes works really well for this kind of images for not being a macro lens

Great shot Georg

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Philippe, thanks! I'm glad to see that photography with a real camera is still en vogue ;-) A prime like the 85/1.8 is a great "teacher"-lens for starters in my opinion.

Americo, thank you! Your words reminded me of a ship-shot from last year, it was Jose back than who thought about a Nosferatu-movie: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/1599#10845090 and http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/1602#10846508
Great dynamic on your soccer-shot, best spot for taking soccer-shots with a (rather short) MF-lens is close to the goal. I shoot tons of soccer, but I'm not brave enough to use MF-Nikkors on a regular basis ;-)

Ronny, your work is truly amazing. I'm glad that you show your shots here.

Ray, very nice demonstration of the 50/1.4's rendering. The only drawback of the 1.4's is the sometimes weird bokeh when stopped down a little (I'm talking about the S/SC and AF-D here, the K and Ai/Ais might be similar).

Kevin, Ray and Leighton - thanks for your comments on the sailing-ship! I miss SilverEfex on my aged Powerbook.

adh67
Total Posts: 561

rattymouse wrote:

+1 on the dragon fly. We had them flying around the neighborhood this weekend, but none of them would land in my area

Bert

MDoc9523

Kevin here is the cut on mine. Really hardly noticeable.

adh67
Total Posts: 561

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Lieutenant Z wrote:

Lieutenant Z, Thank you very much! It was not as sharp as I really wanted it to be, in orde to feel more comfortable showing it on a forum, but heck, my son loves soccer, and I love photography! I do have more, and I do have autofocus versions, with my 50mm 1.8D, but I'll save those for the appropriate area! I really did try my best with the manual focus 85mm 1.4 AIS, and I am really proud of how they truned out! I think I was really out of my league considering futbol/soccer/fotball/football/footy/footie/footer/Gaelic football/ฟุตบอล/فوتبال/please add your language here, is a very high action sport!

Americo, those are a great start, and I don't think you are out of your league. I know from recent experience that it is not easy shooting "voetbal" (the dutch translation) , especially using MF.
I am not sure what shutterspeed you used, but by looking at them your results would be even better when choosing a faster shutterspeed in order to "freeze" the action and the ball.

Regards
Bert

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

adh67 wrote:
a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Lieutenant Z wrote:

Americo, those are a great start, and I don't think you are out of your league. I know from recent experience that it is not easy shooting "voetbal" (the dutch translation) , especially using MF.
I am not sure what shutterspeed you used, but by looking at them your results would be even better when choosing a faster shutterspeed in order to "freeze" the action and the ball.

Regards
Bert

Thank you very much! I tried to use the best ISO, max aperture, plus shutter speed when possible, but I think i should work on my reaction more now! it was kind of my first attempt at this, and I also skipped my tripod, for no reason other than being lazy! Thanks again for the comments, and the translation, pretty cool!

I have the EXIF info.

Additional info (show less)

Settings: 1/125 /16
ISO 250

85 mm

All Rights Reserved (edit)

kwoodard

MDoc9523 wrote:
Kevin yours is the same as mine so it will have to be cut to be used

Photosynthesis site and I believe the Mir site both say it takes kit #5.

Type---------Lens------------Serial Numbers---------Part A
K--------------50mm f1.4---2797021 3750400--------#5

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

I dont think I posted this before. A view of the concrete canyon out one of the windows in my apartment. As you look at this, remember I live in the outskirts of Shanghai, where it is considerably LESS crowded than downtown.

24mm f/2.0 w/ Ektar film.

1       2       3              2988      
       2990              5885       5886       end