Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2976

1       2       3              2976      
2977
       2978              3792       3793       end

leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8575
Country: United States

Thanks Ray, Scott and Jose.

Ray - Love your church series especially the second one, it was framed perfectly. That 16mm is really nice on your D7000.

Jose - Your bird shots continue to amaze.

Ronny - And the same for your flower shots. Maybe you could put together a book in LR of all the different flowers.

Curtis - Congrats on the "new" 300. Time for a side-by-side with the AI-s version.

Georg - I like the pipe, it looks SO out of place with that backdrop.

Matt - Really good to see you in THIS thread again!

Rafael - What is a "pupusa de loroco"?



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8575
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
Jose, the shots of birds feeding you've been posting of late are jaw dropping good. I know this is your passion as an ornithologist but your skill with camera and lens combines your passion for birds and your passion for MF shooting. You contribute much to this thread. And to remember you arrived only a few months after we began. I guess we should consider you one of our founding members...

kwoodard wrote:
I couldn't agree more! Jose, your images have always been a source of inspiration to me.

After my last vacation, I am going to be selling off a lot of my gear, starting with lenses. I will be posting them for sale here next payday (so I can pay for the ability) but if any of you are interested in anything in my kit shoot me a message. I know there are some newcomers here...

As to why. I spent a day with just my D7000 and my 50/1.8E (my lightest lens) and ended up with neck pain (using a VERY comfortable neck strap). A day with my 80-200/4.5 (PK13 in my pocket) landed me with neck and back issues and the need for meds. (5 minutes into my trek with the 135/2.8Q, I put it back into its bubble). I knew this day was coming, was hoping to hit 50 first...but this is my reality (I am 39). Too many injuries to my spine along with a defect and I can't take the weight anymore. I will be posting a few images from my vacation in the coming days, my only keepers were from early on in the day. After an hour or so, I was no longer stable and unless I was in the 1/2000+ shutter speed, I was blurry. I was able to try a monopod, but it was something else to carry...not really viable.


Sorry to hear this, But Curtis is right, listen to your body. I like Andy's idea about the Nikon V1.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8575
Country: United States

mp356 wrote:
A few from Colonial Williamsburg. Thanks for looking.





Scott

Scott, beautiful images from Williamsburg. You should of used this one for the curves assignment, it's really quite good.

Tip for anyone considering visiting Williamsburg. Do NOT go in the Summer!


lucdeschepper
Registered: Apr 05, 2013
Total Posts: 127
Country: Netherlands

Nikkor 50mm f1.2 @ f2 (the Rolleicord is not mine, but from a friend)

This is the kind of image with "cinematic look" of the f1.2 I like most.







leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8575
Country: United States

Luc, I agree, I love this look from the 1.2. I also like this image.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8575
Country: United States

A still life with the 180mm.


180/2.8 ED AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8575
Country: United States

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Something I'm very proud to get out here, that I helped record this year. Song is a favorite of mine, and also my husband's favorite song. The musicians are all local. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cABVKIPk_u0&hd=1


WOW Laura, that was great! I'd love to book some of these acts for our market.



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3015
Country: Germany

Kevin, I'm really sorry to hear about your neck-problems. I hope you'll find a solution that really works for you.



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3015
Country: Germany

Leighton, very nice still-life! I bet some of your Lightroom-magic happened to get the wonderful lighting-effect. Thanks for your comment on the district-heating-pipe.

Luc, a classic TLR as subject is almost a warrant for a beautiful picture ;-) Joking aside, I like your shot a lot - the 50/1.2 and the lighting work very well together to create the old-fashioned look and mood.

Rafael, thanks for sharing your insights about the old 15's. How does the 18/3.5 fit in quality-wise?
I really like the koi-image, very cool use of the ultra-wide lens.

Andy, I like the use of the 20/4 on your flower shot. Please keep your fine pictures coming!

Chuong, great snap of your "baby"-daughter ;-)

Peter, I like the B&W-shot of your wonderful chess-set a lot.

Curtis, love the crow-shot! Great timing and a B&W-processing that really floats my boat ;-)

Matt, I'm glad you're back here. I've missed the pictures from your evening-walks with your son. Good to hear that Brandon is well again. Is he firing/lighting up crackers, it looks like serious business ;-)

Scott, great set from Williamsburg! I like your play with the shallow DoF and the framing of the last shot a lot.



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 3015
Country: Germany

CGrindahl wrote:
It says a great deal about your love of photography Georg that with a kit of lenses required for your professional work, you indulge yourself and entertain us by shooting with MF gear. I understand how you'd limit the money you invest in these old lenses. And, yes, you're subject to VAT as well as import duties if you shop outside the EU. I complain if I have to pay sales tax of 8%...

I'm sure that you're aware of the venues where you can find used gear in Europe. I visited a shop in Delfthaven outside Rotterdam when visiting Rinie. She has also sent links to a couple of websites she's used. With patience I'm sure you'll find what you're seeking. I feel quite fortunate to have been as successful as I have in using E-Bay, but there are a great many lenses passing through that site. The key is to know the market well enough that one doesn't get sucked into over priced gear. That happened to me once early in the process, but I'm not likely to go there again.



Thanks, Curtis! Paying VAT and duties is one issue, the other is the unpredictable shipping time. The 16/3.5 I've ordered on a thursday from Adorama was delivered (and already cleared by the customs) the next monday morning, but this was with the most expensive shipping-option. If i choose a cheaper option it can take forever plus some spare days until I get a letter from the customs (have to drive to the customs, open the parcel for them so they can take a look or two, have to provide printed paypal-receipts, the printed-out ebay-offerings so they can do their math on the duties- a lot of hassle) . So I just hope to stumble across a nice offer within the EU again, I'm not in a hurry.



pburke
Registered: Oct 08, 2010
Total Posts: 1628
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Jose, the shots of birds feeding you've been posting of late are jaw dropping good. I know this is your passion as an ornithologist but your skill with camera and lens combines your passion for birds and your passion for MF shooting. You contribute much to this thread. And to remember you arrived only a few months after we began. I guess we should consider you one of our founding members...

kwoodard wrote:
I couldn't agree more! Jose, your images have always been a source of inspiration to me.

After my last vacation, I am going to be selling off a lot of my gear, starting with lenses. I will be posting them for sale here next payday (so I can pay for the ability) but if any of you are interested in anything in my kit shoot me a message. I know there are some newcomers here...

As to why. I spent a day with just my D7000 and my 50/1.8E (my lightest lens) and ended up with neck pain (using a VERY comfortable neck strap). A day with my 80-200/4.5 (PK13 in my pocket) landed me with neck and back issues and the need for meds. (5 minutes into my trek with the 135/2.8Q, I put it back into its bubble). I knew this day was coming, was hoping to hit 50 first...but this is my reality (I am 39). Too many injuries to my spine along with a defect and I can't take the weight anymore. I will be posting a few images from my vacation in the coming days, my only keepers were from early on in the day. After an hour or so, I was no longer stable and unless I was in the 1/2000+ shutter speed, I was blurry. I was able to try a monopod, but it was something else to carry...not really viable.


Sorry to hear this, But Curtis is right, listen to your body. I like Andy's idea about the Nikon V1.


Kevin, let me throw another suggestion at you: Even though I don't have to deal with issues like you're struggling with, I have always been looking to get the best weight/performance bang for the buck for my mountain trips. I almost bought a Nex-5n last year, because it can use Nikon lenses with an adapter (and now even FX lenses at FX focal length with the Metabones speedbooster adapter), and it has a sensor that easily matches Nikon's DX offerings. Lots of used 5n's on the market by now

There's also their RX-100 camera for a one-lens high end point and shoot, but the price is higher than you'll be able to sell a D7000 for, which is crazy in my view, but you have different priorities and a lightweight camera with superior image quality (it has a 1 inch sensor, 20MB and f/1.8 lens) like that may just be what you need, and it won't tempt you to connect any heavy old Nikkors like the 5n. If I had to bring one camera and one lens on a hiking trip, this would be the current top pick, with the price being the only thing stopping me.

Wish you the best and realize that I need to be thankful for the genes my parents passed along, as I am 50 years old and still act like I am 30 most of the time.



pburke
Registered: Oct 08, 2010
Total Posts: 1628
Country: United States

rafaelcasd wrote: Peter is sticking the TC16a behind every lens he has, it is funny 'cause I did it too.





Once I verified that it worked, the next thing I did was connect a set of tubes and a 105mm to it. I am still learning how to best use it, but it seems that some lenses are more compatible than others. Disabling the control dial for aperture is the fix for those lenses that act up (300mm and 600mm), I just have to remember to re-enable when I go back to those AF lenses.

Rafael, I love your 15mm lenses (the stuff of poor student photographer dreams 30 years ago...), but you really have to be a collector to "invest" into glass of this type today when you can get a fantastic Samyang 14/2.8 for a fraction of their value. Obviously, image quality and price isn't the only reason we use old lenses, but I try to keep only lenses in my kit that I actually use. I'd be too afraid to put a mark on these when taking them on a mountain, while I am not emotionally attached to my Korean made 14mm. Your images show these old super wides are quite capable as long as you know their imitations. Really like the pond image, using the extreme perspective of the 15mm very well thanks to the fish cooperating with your composition



rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 1076
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Ray, Scott and Jose.

Rafael - What is a "pupusa de loroco"?


http://extension.umass.edu/vegetable/ethnic-crops/loroco-fernaldia-pandurata



rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 1076
Country: United States

georgms wrote:
Rafael, thanks for sharing your insights about the old 15's. How does the 18/3.5 fit in quality-wise?
I really like the koi-image, very cool use of the ultra-wide lens.
.


My 18 3.5, bouht new, is also a F8 and F11 lens, it is actually fairly sharp at 3.5 and 5.6 but with a lot of illumination falloff, vignetting, this can be used creatively. The 18mm is a bit sharper across the frame. The 18mm is also able to use a 72mm filter. All in all imho the 18 3.5 is a little better, and much cheaper at $500 instead of $1200. Other than vignetting, the 18mm is close to the 20mm performance.



rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 1076
Country: United States

pburke wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote: Peter is sticking the TC16a behind every lens he has, it is funny 'cause I did it too.





Once I verified that it worked, the next thing I did was connect a set of tubes and a 105mm to it. I am still learning how to best use it, but it seems that some lenses are more compatible than others. Disabling the control dial for aperture is the fix for those lenses that act up (300mm and 600mm), I just have to remember to re-enable when I go back to those AF lenses.

Rafael, I love your 15mm lenses (the stuff of poor student photographer dreams 30 years ago...), but you really have to be a collector to "invest" into glass of this type today when you can get a fantastic Samyang 14/2.8 for a fraction of their value. Obviously, image quality and price isn't the only reason we use old lenses, but I try to keep only lenses in my kit that I actually use. I'd be too afraid to put a mark on these when taking them on a mountain, while I am not emotionally attached to my Korean made 14mm. Your images show these old super wides are quite capable as long as you know their imitations. Really like the pond image, using the extreme perspective of the 15mm very well thanks to the fish cooperating with your composition


Could not agree more Peter. Best justification for these lenses is collecting. It is like owning a 57 Chevy, it is a lot of fun to use them, but only under controlled conditions.

The TC16a works great with tubes and the 180mm.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8575
Country: United States

rafaelcasd wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Thanks Ray, Scott and Jose.

Rafael - What is a "pupusa de loroco"?


http://extension.umass.edu/vegetable/ethnic-crops/loroco-fernaldia-pandurata


Thanks, I'll ask her.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 8575
Country: United States

Just wanted to prove that I indeed do a little work around the farm!

http://homesteadhillfarm.blogspot.com/2013/06/lonesome-onry-and-mean.html



franche63
Registered: Apr 06, 2013
Total Posts: 22
Country: Italy

get some clouds with sand at sunshine with my D600 and 135mm f2 Ai-s. I love this lens.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 4586
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Just wanted to prove that I indeed do a little work around the farm!

http://homesteadhillfarm.blogspot.com/2013/06/lonesome-onry-and-mean.html

I never had a doubt Leighton.



Ronny _Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 1827
Country: Sweden

Thanks erveryone
Great shot Leighton and scott
Cool camera that Luc
Chuong: Great shot
Peter:I like chess-set Great work
Rafael :Great Lens porn
Curtis : the crow-shot is great
Matt: Great set


Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



1       2       3              2976      
2977
       2978              3792       3793       end