Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2958

1       2       3              2958      
       2960              4299       4300       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13155

I LOVE it Rafael. You're a good looking guy. I'll raise you one shot of a brooding teenager... I've no idea what camera was used...

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1462

Back to the T Fords, first the brass era. The lens was inches from the cars, the owners were worried, but on contact I would have been the one crying.

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 ais D800 brass ford T 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 ais D800 brass ford T 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 ais D800 brass ford T by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A couple of 100%s to show how sharp this lens is:

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 ais D800 brass ford T 3 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 ais D800 brass ford T 2 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

rafaelcasd

CGrindahl wrote:
I LOVE it Rafael. You're a good looking guy. I'll raise you one shot of a brooding teenager... I've no idea what camera was used...

Handsome young man Curtis!

But you are not going to win this game, I will raise you an indian chief under bright sun drumming away.

rafael de indio by Rafael CA, on Flickr

CGrindahl

Delightful... I think you've beaten me for the moment Rafael... I've digitized photos for many folks but not many from my own past. I have albums of photos of me as a boy but I haven't taken digital photos of them yet. You might inspire me...

As you did with your 300 f/4.5 H... I just won an auction for a copy of that lens with the AI conversion kit. The seller tells me it is in very fine condition but I won't know until it arrives. Here is one of the photos from the E-Bay listing...

It is is true the devil made me do it... then you're the devil at this moment Rafael...

Funny thing is that when I bought the 300 f/4.5 AI-d ED-IF it came with exactly this Lowepro case...

CGrindahl

Awesome images Rafael. Those autos are as deserving of respect as our lenses are. I'd have loved to meander through that collection. I love how you present the images as well. The 8mm lens is definitely a rare and wonderful piece of gear that calls for careful thought by the photographer. You did very well.

CGrindahl

I should post one photo before heading to bed. This was taken with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a 36mm Vivitar extension tube attached... hand held, wide open.

I'll be interested to see how the H version performs. Like all of the pre-AI lenses I've bought, it has a different optical design than later lenses. Thus far, I've enjoyed greatly how the older lenses perform.

rafaelcasd

CGrindahl wrote:
Delightful... I think you've beaten me for the moment Rafael... I've digitized photos for many folks but not many from my own past. I have albums of photos of me as a boy but I haven't taken digital photos of them yet. You might inspire me...

As you did with your 300 f/4.5 H... I just won an auction for a copy of that lens with the AI conversion kit. The seller tells me it is in very fine condition but I won't know until it arrives. Here is one of the photos from the E-Bay listing...

It is is true the devil made me do it... then you're the devil at this moment Rafael...

Funny thing is that when I bought the 300 f/4.5 AI-d ED-IF it came with exactly this Lowepro case...

We are even after you made me buy my third 55 1.2. The lowepro case confirms it is destiny.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9445

It's 4:30am and I'm just getting ready to go to the market. But I thought I'd stop in and thank everyone for the their comments on my idea. I just felt that we should take the discussions on here up a notch since we know each other so well, and there's only so much that can be said about the lenses themselves that haven't been said. I really don't want it to change the original intent of the thread, just add to it.

Hmmm..."land of Leighton", I kind of like it, almost sounds like "land of Lincoln"!

Zichar
Total Posts: 3548

Ummm what time do you normally wake up then?

Oosty
Total Posts: 4038

lucdeschepper wrote:
The E-type looks great in red. I had a 1:43 model of a red E-type roadster as a kid! The white chalk on the tyre makes me cringe. Easy to correct in post.

There's no need to cringe since that is what the lens saw - this is about the lens not the pp.FWIW the 5cm/2 S was produced between June 1959 and December 1963 - IMO this is not too bad for a lens that is at least 50 years old.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4038

CGrindahl wrote:
Regarding critiques... when this thread began I was wary both of critiques of photos and detailed reviews of lenses because either can cause the eye to glaze over, the mouth to become dry and the viewer head for the woods. What has transpired over the almost three years this conversation has been going is the we've attracted a group of folks much dedicated to these lenses who tend to be generous and kind with their comments. We have a few rock stars who generally contribute stellar images to the mix and quite a few very competent photographers eager to improve skills. From my perspective, seeing excellent work is in itself an inspiration and motivation for me to do better.

What I've seen in comments on specific photos is that by an large they are supportive of the efforts of the person who posted the images. I don't see ANY mean spirited comments despite the fact on occasion we've had folks drop by who are having great difficulty getting images in focus when they have to turn the focusing ring themselves. I wouldn't want our celebration of these fine lenses to become distorted by comments and critiques that would drive folks away. That said, I appreciate the conversations about processing and the more detailed evaluations of lenses that appear. I think we're mature enough as a group that when someone wishes comments, as Leighton did today, we can offer feedback that might prove useful. My comments to Dean about his first Sliver Efex Pro conversions were not exactly solicited but he was talking about the challenges of learning the software. What I shared was intended to help him in that process. I consider Dean a good friend even if we've never met in person and wouldn't dream of demeaning his work. I hope that was evident in how I handled by suggestions.

So long as we continue to treat one another with respect and kindness, I believe we can give feedback where requested and continue to learn this wonderful craft. I can't imagine a better place to be doing that than right here.

As always the voice of reason.

Ultimately this thread is a showcase for the well crafted and magnificent Nikkor lenses that we own, love and, in some cases are obsessed,by. In addition it is a place where we hang out with others who share our enjoyment of the glass.

Most people are polite and either comment favourably or don't comment at all. Most also say "thank you" when something nice has been said about an image. It would be rude not to.

Speaking personally, I have neither the time nor the inclination to do much more than take pictures with my MF lenses, correct exposure, sharpen and resize for the thread. When it becomes work I'll stop doing it.

However, in the spirit of the thread, "to each his own".

georgms
Total Posts: 3450

Curtis, congrats to your Nikkor-H 300/4.5! I've missed the auctions here on the 200/4Q and the 300/4.5H.
The 200mm went for more than I was willing to spend and the 300mm (went for 94 Euros, lens in pretty good shape) found it's new owner while I was having a nap :-(
My current 300/4.5 IF-ED was about 200 Euros and I would have spent around 130 Euros for the Ai'd 300/4.5 H in good shape...
Hope you'll like your new Nikkor-H.

Rafael, very cool shots of the vintage cars! From time to time I shoot with an old Sigma 8/3.5 and bump nearly always with the frontlens against a subject ;-)
The Bedford-shot is very cool too ;-)

James, love the 35/2-apple! I can just repeat what Curtis said about this fine image...

Laura, the "Pink Cadillac" is a great catch! I didn't get Curtis' joke (had to google it), it rather reminded me of the popular song performed by Natalie Cole (and others)...

georgms
Total Posts: 3450

Some snaps from today, all with the 180/2.8ED AT F/2.8 or f/4 (when I got this lens the aperture-mechanism was pretty lame, it's nice and snappy now after some use):

A seagull is checking out unsuspecting tourists at the fishing-harbor (the red flags with radar-reflectors on top belong to nets stored on boats).
These birds are tricky animals, they are able to steal fish-sandwiches out of the hands of scared tourists ;-)

This seagull can't decide between "Juniorteller" (junior-plate) and "Garnelen-Brötchen" (shrimp-sandwich)...

Feeding seagulls is forbidden in this harbor, a hefty 5000-Euro-fine can rip a deep hole in the feeders wallet.
Local soccer-fans are over-taping basically every sign they can find. I've included a part of a pleasure boat for the lights-chain ;-)

saph
Total Posts: 2341

Some work with the 13.5cm 3.5Q, at 3.5 or 5.6.

f/3.5

f/5.6

f/5.6

saph

The idea about more constructive input into photos here is cool, it would definitely help me.

Georg, very nice backgrounds for the gull. It seems to be eyeing the 5 or 4 euro (or is it deustchemark?) sandwiches on that menu and thinking why pay when you can steal

Curtis, don't blame anyone else for buying yet another lens, I see the "kit building is forever" wording whenever I look at your posts Congrats on the lens, and you do look bored as a youngster, you had clearly not discovered your devilish side yet

Rafael, cute drummer boy picture. I love the way the 8 fisheye opens up the front of that car. And the one with the sunstars.

Lieutenant, that street picture is outstanding!!

James, great work with that apple.

Leighton, that pic with the light on the grass in the distance just needed a bit of exposure lifting.

Scott, loved that little house with the greenery around it.

Philip, good use of the 105 1.8 for that car.

Peter (Knysna), liked the red Jag. All these car pictures are inspiring me to find my way to a local classic car show this summer.

Peter (Madison), that red Ferrari is fun, and just thinking about that prior image of the 28mm 3.5 in a fishtank gives me the shivers

Oh boy another red car - Luc, superb Alpha!

James, thanks for the test of the two 35s.

Folks, any thoughts on creating a separate offshoot thread for tests of Nikon Manual Focus glass?

Samy

CGrindahl

georgms wrote:
Curtis, congrats to your Nikkor-H 300/4.5! I've missed the auctions here on the 200/4Q and the 300/4.5H.
The 200mm went for more than I was willing to spend and the 300mm (went for 94 Euros, lens in pretty good shape) found it's new owner while I was having a nap :-(
My current 300/4.5 IF-ED was about 200 Euros and I would have spent around 130 Euros for the Ai'd 300/4.5 H in good shape...
Hope you'll like your new Nikkor-H.

Thanks Georg. I was hanging out on this thread when the auction ended. I'd encourage you to look for a snipe service that can handle bidding for you. I haven't personally followed an auction in about two years. The snipe service permits me to set a maximum bid, which in this case I set at $157.75. The opening bid was $150 and there was a Buy It Now price of $199. Sometime yesterday someone bid $150. I set up my bid so there is no review before the auction ends. I guess that is intended to give bidders the opportunity to increase their maximum should the bidding move beyond the initial maximum. I have NO interest in doing that. If I don't win the auction I move along. In this case, the snipe service, at 4 seconds before the end of the auction, made the lowest bid possible within the maximum I set and I won the auction for $152.50. I immediately got an email from E-Bay telling me I'd won the auction.

It is a remarkably sweet system. All I need to know is how much I'm willing to spend and the snipe service will do everything else. I think the cost of the service is 1% of the amount bid, which means I paid $1.525 to be able to spend my time as I wish. Here is a link to the service I use. I checked and the site will handle auctions regardless of the currency used so I assume you can pay their fees in whatever currency you normally use. You'd have to look more closely if this appeals to you.

http://www.esnipe.com

Perhaps next time you'll get your lens. I promise I'll post photos of my latest and put it to the test. Your interest in the lens contributed to my curiosity, so thank you. Rafael may have given a push but you made me wonder...

adh67
Total Posts: 561

Great stuff on the previous pages, with the Apple being my absolute favorite. I have been away on vacation the last week on Cape Cod and absolutely loved it. This was my first vacation leaving all my AF lenses at home. I am currently waiting for my flight back to SF (3hr delay ) so I figured I post a few.

Bert

saph

And here's two different frames of the earlier subjects, still with the 13.5cm 3.5 Q:

f/4:

f/5.6:

CGrindahl

saph wrote:
...Curtis, don't blame anyone else for buying yet another lens, I see the "kit building is forever" wording whenever I look at your posts Congrats on the lens, and you do look bored as a youngster, you had clearly not discovered your devilish side yet

If by "discovering" a devilish side you mean girls, I was already a troublemaker by then...

It is true that I was too smart for my own good, which often translated into boredom that led to mischief. I climbed out of the window at Sunday school when the teacher left for a moment and locked all the doors in my grandparents home and then hid the key. I climbed under a postal truck in the slot normally reserved for a spare tire. The truck drove away and it was a frantic neighbor who saw me and flagged down the truck. I walked home naked at age four or five from a friend's home carrying all my clothes. I think it was raining at the time. I rounded up every cat in the neighborhood and locked them in our family garage. I wanted a cat and that seemed a good way to get one. I was so talkative in third grade that the teacher first put me in the rear corner surrounded by girls and when that didn't work put my desk next to hers and when that didn't work she had me sit on her lap. That worked, but only briefly. I know she liked me despite my talkativeness because she took me on excursions.

Playing with MF glass is a great way to keep me occupied and not get me in trouble, except perhaps with the wives of folks contributing to this thread who watch their husbands buy lenses they don't really need... I'll take full blame for that, though I get lots of help...

CGrindahl

That second photo is a gem Bert... it looks like a still life painting by a great master and you captured it with a humble Nikon MF lens. Beautiful.

The sweet thing about traveling with MF glass is that they are relatively small and light weight in comparison with modern AF glass. I took five lenses to Turkey and was perfectly happy with my kit, though after six hours lugging a backpack filled with lenses the bag felt pretty heavy...

I'll look forward to more photos from your trip.

1       2       3              2958      
       2960              4299       4300       end