Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2957

1       2       3              2957      
       2959              4180       4181       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13016

Another wonderful set Scott. I like that term "Land of Leighton..." I bet it will stick, though the Shenandoah Valley has long been recognized for its beauty. It is wonderful that we get to see a bit more of it. A farmer never strays too far from home...

pburke
Total Posts: 1944

Got my replacement TC-16a today. Tested it as the daylight disappeared, so I can't tell how sharp it is, but it does work as advertised, at least with some lenses. It seems to be fine with the 105mm and even does the command dial, while on the 300mm f/4.5 I have to push the aperture past the last stop to make it work. Have to go manual aperture on the lens with the 600mm since it will only give me an error at any f-stop on that one. Have not tried the 135mm yet. I will also have to read up on all those AF settings I have to choose from. So far I had the camera at whatever the default is. Hope there's enough light tomorrow to go look for those pelicans again.

mp356
Total Posts: 4259

CGrindahl wrote:
Another wonderful set Scott. I like that term "Land of Leighton..." I bet it will stick, though the Shenandoah Valley has long been recognized for its beauty. It is wonderful that we get to see a bit more of it. A farmer never strays too far from home...

Thank you Curtis. He certainly lives in a beautiful area. So much to explore. Guess I will have to make a return visit at some point.

georgms
Total Posts: 3347

Scott, I like your last set from the „Land of Leighton" too, especially the first shot. The framing is great, the shadows on and of the wooded structure work very well.
Maybe I would have placed the end of the railing at the lower left corner just into the corner of your frame (to start the diagonal curve right from the corner).

CGrindahl

Georg, you're on the thread again in the MIDDLE of the night... You must be what we call a "night owl..."

Get to sleep my friend, tomorrow is another busy day, I've no doubt...

mp356
Total Posts: 4259

georgms wrote:
Scott, I like your last set from the „Land of Leighton" too, especially the first shot. The framing is great, the shadows on and of the wooded structure work very well.
Maybe I would have placed the end of the railing at the lower left corner just into the corner of your frame (to start the diagonal curve right from the corner).

Thank you for the comment Georg. I like your suggestion and will try a crop. One of the compositional challenges I had with this image was the focus of the railing in the foreground. I could not decide if it was better to have the entire railing in focus or out of focus. The image was shot at f4. Had I used f11 most all of the rail could have been in focus.

CGrindahl

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Nice rendering, Philip!

50 1.8 wo :

This has the feel and look of a Impressionist painting with the soft colors in the bokeh. Absolutely delicious shot Philippe. You make these lenses sing.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7633

Somehow I don't see Reagan driving a car this color

CGrindahl

I think you're right. But I love it Laura. I owned a 1960 Pontiac Bonneville convertible that felt like an aircraft carrier it was so big. This appears to be of that vintage. Pepto Bismal pink... Wow!

Zichar
Total Posts: 3510

Pepto-bismal pink?!
Great description

philipj
Total Posts: 841

Zichar wrote:
Pepto-bismal pink?!
Great description

Haha, +1!

James Markus
Total Posts: 4408

Well, the 35mm f2.0 was mounted, and a mid-day snack was staring me in the face. My FM Galleries 1000th photo.

CGrindahl

Lovely shot James. I'm struck by how the texture at the top left of the apple seems to mimic the texture of the wood table. Very luscious... and lovely bokeh with the reflected light on the table surface. Nicely done, but then we've come to see nothing less from you.

CGrindahl

Chin and Philip posting from half way around the world from one another at the same time. It is past your bedtime Philip... Of course, with an infant in the house you probably have to grab time for yourself at the very end of the day... but you definitely need your sleep.

philipj
Total Posts: 841

CGrindahl wrote:
Chin and Philip posting from half way around the world from one another at the same time. It is past your bedtime Philip... Of course, with an infant in the house you probably have to grab time for yourself at the very end of the day... but you definitely need your sleep.

I'm actually in my office at the university, writing up the last few pages of my PhD thesis. It'll get done by the end of the weekend, and then I'm off to Europe again for a job interview next week (first Hamburg, then Zürich). Margot and her mom will be heading back to see the grandparents while I'm travelling, and then I get to join them there once my advisor's gone through my thesis and given me the okay to submit to my committee.. hectic times in Toronto!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1350

This thread should be made a gold standard.

It is cruising grand in Escondido again, this time I took the 8mm, which does not get out often, I love this lens for what it is, but don't know what to do with it a lot of the time.

It was Ford T day. This first photo is not a Ford T but a contraption mimicking the look on a truck chassis, it was a fun car and a good way to start some postings, that is me in the crop, or at least a piece of me.

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 ais D800 contraption ford by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 ais D800 contraption ford crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5018

leighton w wrote:
This mornings critique of my images leads me to a question for everyone who frequents this thread, and something Scott and I talked about when he paid me a visit. Should we start being more critical on each others images in an effort to help improve our photography? Maybe we can just ask for it by saying C&C welcomed when we post images. There's some very talented photogs on this thread that I know I can benefit from. Or would this take away from the main purpose of this thread? Something to think about.

I agree they should say "C&C welcome"

CGrindahl

Hectic times Philip but certainly satisfying given how long the journey has been. And imagine that you might find yourself working in Europe. I tried on a couple of occasions to make that happen but without the skill set you bring to your job search. I wish you well with it all.

CGrindahl

Do I see grey hair in that photo Rafael? We need to see a photo of you... WITHOUT the Ford logo in the middle of your face...

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1350

Much obliged, this is probably with a nikkormat, on the old Bed Ford #3, back when the world was new.

Rafael en el Bedford by Rafael CA, on Flickr

1       2       3              2957      
       2959              4180       4181       end