Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2954

1       2       3              2954      
       2956              4183       4184       end

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1354

You may find this interesting, of all my lenses the only one that failed to perform at any aperture on the D800 was the 15mm 3.5 ais, I bought this lense on e bay a long time ago for $600 and it is like new, with case and all, now they sell for well over a thousand. Finally sent it in to Nikon USA, not sure if they would fix it, it appears to have haze in one internal element surface. Nikon USA has cleaned some of my old lenses, they will not repair them for lack of parts, but if the lens is good they will clean it. This lens may need replacement elements, to my surprise Nikon accepted a low performance lens for repair, but their estimate was a little high, I figure they think element replacement is likely. Other cleanings have cost as little as $80.
Here is the lens and the estimate

15mm F3.5 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Product Service & Repair

Thanks for trusting us with your repair!
You approved the repair service listed below. Please take a moment to review the order for accuracy

xx Order Number: xxx
Serial #: 188xxx
Problem: FOCUS Lens does not perform well SEE CUSTOMERS LETTER HAZE IN A MIDDLE ELEMENT Repair Cost: $420.00
Shipping Cost: $12.50
Total: $432.50

Total Repair Cost: $420.00
Total Shipping: $12.50

Shipping Address
BATLLE, RAFAEL xxx Payment Information
MASTERCARD
**** **** **** x

James Markus
Total Posts: 4409

Love the covered bridge Scott. Never seen an arched one before.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3510

+1
Simply amazing Jose

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5803

lucdeschepper wrote:

For sure I'll continue to post! I don't have extensive technical knowledge but on post processing esp. Lightroom I might be able to contribute something useful once in a while I hope.

Rotterdam is ok, great contrast between old and modern. Also a good place for street photography.

You've already contributed greatly just with your posts thus far - your photography is not my style per se, but I'm definitely a fan of it and am looking forward to seeing more.

John

jhinkey

mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:

I love how the stem disappears in this shot.

+1 Ronny. Well captured.

One of my favorites of the last couple of pages - has that 3D effect going on . . .

jhinkey

raboof wrote:
WOW John. To me, your best pano.

Thanks Chuong!

It really pops with color - all I did was adjust some curves - no extra saturation at all. I was almost packing up when this scene revealed itself for about 5 minutes max.

In a couple of weeks we are heading off to South Dakota and I need to start deciding on what lenses to bring.
We are doing everything from cave touring, digging fossils, hiking, to hanging around the camp fire. Unfortunately we are flying, so my system needs to be quite compact. Choices, choices.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3510

Ahh ... you haven't taught your daughters to be camera sherpas yet?
Sounds like fun for sure. Took a look at your list of equipment in your profile ... oooh, that's gonna be tough work paring it down

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13021

You got me hooked Rafael... did you have them make the repair? Inquiring minds...

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1354

CGrindahl wrote:
You got me hooked Rafael... did you have them make the repair? Inquiring minds...

It is authorized but not done yet. I figure it was worth it 'cause once they agree to make the lens perform, we will not accept it until it works as well as any other lens on the D800. As it was the lens was not good enough to be used, and I would not sell without full disclosure.

If anyone can make that 15mm whole again it is Nikon.

jhinkey

Zichar wrote:
Ahh ... you haven't taught your daughters to be camera sherpas yet?
Sounds like fun for sure. Took a look at your list of equipment in your profile ... oooh, that's gonna be tough work paring it down

My one daughter wants a camera like mine

leighton w
Total Posts: 9185

mp356 wrote:
Thank you Curtis, Peter, Samy, Leighton, Jose, and Ronny for the comments and feedback.

Here a few more from western Virginia. All taken with the 28 2.8 ais. Comments and critique welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Scott

Scott, another fine series, but I like this one the best. Can you get to the base of the falls fairly easy?

saph
Total Posts: 2295

Jose, missed the woodpecker before, tremendous avian image as always!

Scott, beautiful covered bridge and waterfall scenery in West Virginia. After I did the 135 vs. 135 test at f/5.6, I went and looked at the aperture mechanism of the two, and sure enough the older 3.5Q maintains a more rounded shape better at f/4 and /5.6 (even though f/4 is not marked on the 3.5Q, it does click stop there). I was curious about their relative characteristics when more depth of field is needed.

Jay, cool shot with extension tubes. There's also a "Shooting with Tubes" thread in the macro forum that Curtis started, if you haven't run into that yet, you can cross post those images there too.

Peter(Madison), the colors and the rust detail with the 55 1.2 are very pleasing!

Rafael, outwardly that 15mm looks to be in mint condition, hope Nikon sends it back working as well too.

Ronny, delicious blue flower floating in the green space!

John, great pano again!

saph
Total Posts: 2295

Just came across this Henri Cartier-Bresson interview:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/cartier-bresson-there-are-no-maybes/

leighton w

I liked how the light was falling in the distant fields. Taken with the 50-135mm.

50-135/3.5 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

leighton w

I think I like the B&W version even better, what do you think?

B&W Version by Leighton W, on Flickr

StonePhotog
Total Posts: 117

Thanks for the tip Samy, I'll check it out.

Scott, great waterfall pic.

Leighton, I like them both, but the B&W version does have a nice moody quality to it.

pburke
Total Posts: 1953

leighton w wrote:
I think I like the B&W version even better, what do you think?

I prefer the warm light in the color version. Also a good candidate to check what the Landscape camera profile will do to the sky. The blue in your color version looks on my screen like it is the default Adobe profile, although for the warm glow in the clouds it may be better suited than the contrasty Landscape profile. For the conversion to B&W, more contrast and saturation would give you quite a different starting point, too, and a different look even using the same conversion.

raboof
Total Posts: 1467

Leighton - I like the color version too. I think the BW version did not have the a good separation of the hills, one in shadow and the other in sunlight.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13021

I like them both for different reasons Leighton but I think they need to be brightened quite a bit. I downloaded the image and played a bit to confirm my thesis and I believe brightening the image improves it considerably. You might want to play with it a bit. And there is much you can do when converting an image to black and white to increase luminance in some channels without increasing exposure in the full image. The tools we have available in post processing are pretty awesome.

I definitely miss the days of TrekEarth with its feature that allows one to reprocess images posted by others to suggest alternative methods. Here's an example of what I mean. This is a very simple workshop I did of a lovely image.

TrekEarth Workshop Example

I learned a great deal about processing by following workshops given by the best photographers then active on the website. Of course, I'm continuing to learn with ever better tools.

leighton w

Thank you all for the comments. Each image has had multiple adjustment brushes added, as well as luminance adjustments. Peter, I did try the color profiles in LR but ended up using the original. It's also exported as a sRGB file. In hind site, I should have adjusted the blue sky with the luminance slider a bit more.

Being able to play as much as you like being that the files in LR are non-destructive is a definite plus using this software.

1       2       3              2954      
       2956              4183       4184       end