Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2936

1       2       3              2936      
2937
       2938              5887       5888       end

rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 7430
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
RM, you have a couple of double posts on the thread. I'm not certain what is happening, but you might want to check it out. Perhaps your browser is acting up somehow.

The 85 f/2 is working well I see. These are both fine images. What a busy world in which you live!


Sorry about the double posts! Strange, I see no way to delete one. There used to be a delete option for your own posts, but that is missing now. Is there any way to delete a post now?

I'm not sure why this happened but I'll be on the lookout for something more closely.



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 9306
Country: United States

You can delete your last post, if it's the last post on the thread. If someone else posts after you, the delete button goes away.

rattymouse wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
RM, you have a couple of double posts on the thread. I'm not certain what is happening, but you might want to check it out. Perhaps your browser is acting up somehow.

The 85 f/2 is working well I see. These are both fine images. What a busy world in which you live!


Sorry about the double posts! Strange, I see no way to delete one. There used to be a delete option for your own posts, but that is missing now. Is there any way to delete a post now?

I'm not sure why this happened but I'll be on the lookout for something more closely.




mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

Another street scene from Colonial Williamsburg. Taken with the 16 3.5.
Scott



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Scott you are doing great things with the 16mm 3.5!



DTOB
Registered: Oct 07, 2010
Total Posts: 1359
Country: Canada

Another from the Marine Museum:



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Cool shot Dylan. Is that a 16mm 3.5 also?



DTOB
Registered: Oct 07, 2010
Total Posts: 1359
Country: Canada

Thanks Ray. It sure is the 16.



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 16784
Country: United States

So funny to see two 16mm shots arriving, one taken with a DX camera that has practically no linear distortion and one taken with an FX camera that gives us fisheye deliciousness. Of course, we know that from your experience Ray with the D7000. Clearly, this is a very useful lens. It is in my camera bag... now needs to get on the camera...



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

So true Curtis. I loved it on my D7000 and even more on my D600



rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 2486
Country: United States

I love the 16mm, optically a gem, and am learning to love the 15mm, not as good but so straight!


nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 a place to read in San Diego by Rafael CA, on Flickr


nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 a place to read in San Diego 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr


nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 a place to read in San Diego 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 16784
Country: United States

Your shots with the 15 f/3.5 are exceptional Rafael. The minimal distortion at that width is remarkable. Your most recent photos, first of the autos and then of this ranch are a delight. You have lenses in your kit that no one else in our assemblage have, so we rely on you to entertain us. When it comes to wide, you're THE MAN...



jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 8403
Country: United States

If you need some more 16/3.5 space warping here's a few more from last week . . .



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12618
Country: United States

Thanks Scott and RM.

RM - Don't see too many with the 85 f2, thanks for sharing these. Do you remember if the first of these was wide open?

Scott - Being an Architect, it's no wonder you liked Williamsburg so much.

Dylan - Good use of the 16, even caught your finger.

Rafael - It's amazing how straight that 15 performs.

John - I like the Walla-Walla. We just harvested a whole bunch of Walla-walla onions yesterday!



saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 3699
Country: United States

Just caame across this New York Times photoblog - Photographing the part of Buddhism that can't be seen.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/the-inner-lives-of-buddhist-monks/?src=twrhp



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 7430
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Scott and RM.

RM - Don't see too many with the 85 f2, thanks for sharing these. Do you remember if the first of these was wide open?





Thank you. That shot was either f/2 or f/2.8. I dont think I have shot much more stopped down than that.



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 7430
Country: United States

saph wrote:
Just caame across this New York Times photoblog - Photographing the part of Buddhism that can't be seen.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/the-inner-lives-of-buddhist-monks/?src=twrhp


What a fantastic article. Truly outstanding find. Thank you for sharing! I have photographed Buddhist temples all across Asia. Far more than I can count, and sadly far more than I can remember. I wish I had the names of all the temples I have been to. I've been to 30 or more temples in Japan alone, 20 or so in Thailand, 10-15 in Taiwan, 10 or so in Singapore, around 15 in Korea, 50 or more in China(!) and one in the US (my home temple, still the finest temple I've ever seen).

I of course agree when the author wrote, "he discovered that Buddhism and photography have much in common, including observation, empathy and being fully in the moment."

That [to me] is what film photography is all about, being in the moment. I take the shot, and it's done. No chimping, no checking, no reshooting. For me, digital photography became a way to lose the moment. Always chimping after a shot, always shooting more than necessary, coming back from a day's shoot with hundreds of photographs, filling up hard drive after hard drive with tens of thousands of images.

I wanted to get back to the meditative style of photography and digital was not leading me there. Somehow I stumbled onto a Nikon FM2 and peace returned!



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12618
Country: United States

saph wrote:
Just caame across this New York Times photoblog - Photographing the part of Buddhism that can't be seen.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/the-inner-lives-of-buddhist-monks/?src=twrhp

rattymouse wrote:
What a fantastic article. Truly outstanding find. Thank you for sharing! I have photographed Buddhist temples all across Asia. Far more than I can count, and sadly far more than I can remember. I wish I had the names of all the temples I have been to. I've been to 30 or more temples in Japan alone, 20 or so in Thailand, 10-15 in Taiwan, 10 or so in Singapore, around 15 in Korea, 50 or more in China(!) and one in the US (my home temple, still the finest temple I've ever seen).

I of course agree when the author wrote, "he discovered that Buddhism and photography have much in common, including observation, empathy and being fully in the moment."

That [to me] is what film photography is all about, being in the moment. I take the shot, and it's done. No chimping, no checking, no reshooting. For me, digital photography became a way to lose the moment. Always chimping after a shot, always shooting more than necessary, coming back from a day's shoot with hundreds of photographs, filling up hard drive after hard drive with tens of thousands of images.

I wanted to get back to the meditative style of photography and digital was not leading me there. Somehow I stumbled onto a Nikon FM2 and peace returned!


Interesting article, and interesting perspective you have on photography RM. But for me, I'm just the opposite. Digital has made me MORE into photography than I ever was with film. Having the freedom to shoot as much as I like without the worry of spending the money for film and processing. I'm also very much into the post production side of this art, probably as much as the picture taking itself. I did develop B&W myself in the old days, but color developing was out of my reach.

I say all of that to say this...photography is different for all that enjoy it and there's no wrong way, it's all good.



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 7430
Country: United States

In no way do I project my needs or habits onto anyone. This is all a very personal decision, for everyone.

Digital was so expensive for me it was not even funny. Canon 5D w/ 20mm, 35mmL, 50mm, 85L, 100 macro, 300L. I couldnt be happy with all that for more than a few years. Then I bought various non DSLR Fuji cameras...no luck there. Then got a Fuji S5 Pro SLR w/4 Nikon AF lenses, which kept me going for all of 2 years. All the while getting a Fuji X100, X10, and XF1. And a Sigma DP2M.

None of that gear could get me to where I wanted to be. None of it.

Since shooting film, I have bought TWO cameras. My Fuji GA645 and Nikon FM2. Total price, $600. I'm two years into this with the GA645 and have no itch to move on. At all. The cost of these manual focus lenses are just hilarious compared to my other lenses. My Canon 85 L alone cost more than my 4 AIS lenses!! Same thing with my Nikkor 24mm f/1.4 lens.





leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12618
Country: United States

rattymouse wrote:
In no way do I project my needs or habits onto anyone. This is all a very personal decision, for everyone.


Oh, I didn't think that for one minute. I was simply saying what I found freeing in photography. In fact, I have the utmost respect for you and other film shooters that keep that era alive. I think it's great that you and others share your work with film, it certainly has a look all it's own. And one I very much enjoy looking at.



rattymouse
Registered: Feb 04, 2006
Total Posts: 7430
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
In no way do I project my needs or habits onto anyone. This is all a very personal decision, for everyone.


Oh, I didn't think that for one minute. I was simply saying what I found freeing in photography. In fact, I have the utmost respect for you and other film shooters that keep that era alive. I think it's great that you and others share your work with film, it certainly has a look all it's own. And one I very much enjoy looking at.


Yeah, that's another unexpected side benefit, a connection to a bygone era. We are seriously in danger of losing part of our photographic heritage if Fuji and Kodak cease making film. Hopefully Ilford will hang on longer, but the future for Kodak and Fuji is not at all certain. I want to make images with silver halide film while it is still available.

Now is the golden age to be shooting film. The cameras are dirt cheap, and made waaay better than anything today. I could throw my Nikon FM2 down a flight of stairs and I bet it would still work. The camera is a tank. Incredibly wonderful holding that metal camera. Mine took a big hit from the previous owner, with a nice dent on one side. My Fuji GA645 was a $1600 camera back before digital. I bought it in mint condition for $400. What an absolute bargain. A roll of Kodak or Fuji color film costs $2 still for the general purpose films. The pro films are a bit more. Only slide film is very expensive. Sadly those days seem to be coming to a close. Medium format slides are just stunningly beautiful to look at. There is no digital equivalent there.



1       2       3              2936      
2937
       2938              5887       5888       end