Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2936

1       2       3              2936      
       2938              4247       4248       end

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1410

MarkdV wrote:
A few from the 180mm f2.8 - it's a fantastic lens! I hope tomorrow or Sunday to try it to try some Ronny style damselfly shots.

Mark, the middle Pavo Real photo with the 180mm is quite extraordinary!

Just sent my 15mm 3.5 ais to Nikon. This is the only lens I own that did not measure to the D800, it is like new but has a little haze in one surface, we'll see what happens.

Me, I keep looking for a lens to come in with rendition that will make my ordinary photos more interesting. The 55mm 1.2 is certainly one, as is the 5cm 2S, the UD, the QDC, I am sure an 85mm 1.4 as well, all different but interesting.

Not so sure about the 5.8 CM, my second copy came in, it is as described in ebay, the glas is actually cleaner than most newer lenses I have, and this 'new' lens has been cut so it mounts on my cameras. There is no ai ring for these. My older 5.8 CM which I refused to cut, has perfectly clean glass and is in better cosmetic condition, so it can continue as garage queen.

This new sample performs well, the 5.8 CM has a unique look fully open that I am not sure I am going to learn to use or like, but I am willing to go on an adventure to find out.

Closed down to 4-5.6-8-11 it is a good lens, like any other 50mm. form 1.4 to 2.8 it has a unique field of focus and look to it.

This second sample does not focus to infinity, only out to 80 feet or so. This is not a deal breaker, everything else works fine, and I know infinity focus can be adjusted, just not sure how yet. Do not intend to use for far landscapes anyway.

Optically the lens performs better the closer you get, up to a point. The center is very sharp at 1.4, sharper than the 55 1.2, but the sharp area is small.

Too many words, some pictures, the 'new' one is on the camera.
Five Nikkor 'S'

nikon nikkor nkj 5.8cm 1.4S on D800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor nkj 5.8cm 1.4S on D800.jpg at 1.4 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor nkj 5.8cm 1.4S on D3 at 1.4 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor nkj 5.8cm 1.4S on D800.jpg at 8.0 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

saph
Total Posts: 2312

Can not keep up with the threads anymore, now that there's a "MF folks using AF" thread also to keep track of

A quick bokeh test of the 13.5cm f3.5 (9 blade) vs. the 135 f2 AI. Both taken at f/5.6, trying to see how the ancient sibling holds up against the "modern" AI lens at a smaller aperture. Maybe slightly different exposure since the clouds were playing tricks on the sun.

135 f2 AI:

13.5 cm f3.5:

Some day I will get time to take some real shots too, this is still not that day

philipj
Total Posts: 850

Thanks Peter (S.A.), Ray (Florida) and Georg!

Peter - definitely some of that is due to the sun being in the frame, but I've found the 50 is prone to flaring quite readily in less demanding situation as well.

Mark - great shots of the peacock! They are both nice, but the first one for me is a real standout.

StonePhotog
Total Posts: 117

I'm pretty much a noob here, but I absolutely love this thread! I have two of the manual focus nikkor lenses, the 180 ais and the 500 f4 p (I love shooting with both and will post some pics eventually), and the pictures posted here are giving me nas in a bad way. I'm leaning towards either the 55 1.2, 50 1.2, or a 135mm variant. If I go with a 135, is there a version that stands out over the others?

Thanks!

deang001
Total Posts: 1537

philipj wrote:
Thanks Leighton and Jose!

Dean, how do you like Silver efex? For now I'm content to play around with the black and white tools in Aperture, but I figure it's a case of not knowing what I'm missing out on.

Hey Philip ... apart from the fact I have no idea what I'm doing, it seems like a great program

I would have probably never bought it had it not been for the price reduction though. $149 seemed like a pretty good deal.

deang001

CGrindahl wrote:
Dean, I'm with you man. I have a hard time picking up an instructional manual or searching out videos. I guess I've learned the lesson that with non-destructive processing I can make a thousand mistakes and still recover from them. After using recommended styles on SEP I began experimenting as you are doing. We are very fortunate that we have Georg participating on this thread because he is both a very fine photographer, but his post processing skills are exceptional and he loves using Silver Efex Pro. Simply seeing what he's done can lead me to try different approaches to processing. So we learn by doing. Nothing could be finer. I definitely am enjoying your play thus far, though that first set of images felt a bit dark to me. The 180 yields enough contrast that even though the set above is a bit dark as well, they work for me. I'm just delighted you found time in your busy schedule to hang out with us once again. Your absence is always noted...

Thanks, Curtis & thanks Jose, Leighton & Ray.

The feedback is well noted and appreciated, Curtis. I'll keep experimenting this week end.

I need to fight this compulsion I get when editing images to use every slider available. This is especially with the "blacks" slider in LR as it makes the image pop more. Should probably just apply more local adjustments if I want more separation.

deang001

georgms wrote:
Kevin, Leighton and Peter from Knysna - thanks for your comments on my recent shots!

Dean and Curtis, Silver Efex is a wonderful tool, it's well worth spending some time to learn how to use it. I have yet to learn a lot when it comes to B&W-processing, but it's great fun for me.
That said, I will try to find a good in-camera B&W-setting for a more homogeneous look (will try to shoot some entry-level street-stuff). So far my results when using Silver Efex are too mixed (different tonings, borders, styles).

Dean, I like your set from Siem Reap a lot. Just like Curtis I find the tones a bit too dark. If you have any questions about Silver Efex, please write me a PM or contact me via Flickr. I'm not an expert, but have played with SEP2 for a year now ;-)
The 180/2.8ED is one of my favorite MF-Nikkors right now. In my opinion my converted Apo-Telyt-R 180/3.4 is a better performer, but it doesn't handle well on my Nikons.

Thanks, Georg ... what a kind offer of your time

I will take you up on that if that's OK. I'll contact you via Flickr.

The 180/2.8 Ai-S is definitely in the "super lens" category !!

Again, many thanks.

deang001

StonePhotog wrote:
I'm pretty much a noob here, but I absolutely love this thread! I have two of the manual focus nikkor lenses, the 180 ais and the 500 f4 p (I love shooting with both and will post some pics eventually), and the pictures posted here are giving me nas in a bad way. I'm leaning towards either the 55 1.2, 50 1.2, or a 135mm variant. If I go with a 135, is there a version that stands out over the others?

Thanks!

Welcome, Stone ... don't delay ... post your images now !!

Since you have the 180, I'd probably be inclined to go for the 50/1.2 ... great lens but I'm very biased. I know many on here love the 55/1.2.

As for 135mm lenses, the 135/2 Ai-S would be my preference

What body are you shooting on?

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13100

StonePhotog wrote:

Thanks!

Welcome. I'd like to encourage you to add your first name to your profile. We tend to be on a first name basis on this thread. Having the name in the profile makes it easier for us old folks whose memory gives us problems...

Although the 135 f/2 AI or AI-s don't get glowing reviews, I believe the consensus is it is the best lens at that focal length. It also is a heavy lens that comes at a premium price. I have four lenses at that focal length, having added an AI converted K lens a short while ago. I posted this a short while ago comparing the lenses shooting wide open.

And here is a comparison of the four lenses in terms of size.

I've been enjoying the two older lenses that have a different optical design and a bit more heft than the 135 f/2.8 AI. I've enjoyed shooting with all four. The older pre-AI lenses were the least expensive, but converted lenses can be hard to find. The Q.C. has coatings that aren't found in the more readily available Q. lens.

The 55 f/1.2 in its various versions is a very distinctive lens with a bit smoother bokeh than you'll find with the also excellent 50 f/1.2 which is an incredibly sharp lens by the time you get to f/2. The focal plane is razor thin at f/1.2 so shooting wide open with either lens, while potentially delicious can be challenging. And from what others have said, I think your D300s will not be too happy shooting wide open because of its viewfinder, which is much less light than FX viewfinders.

You are beginning to two of Nikon's great MF lenses, but there is nothing wrong with adding one or two more...

Again welcome. We'll look forward to seeing some of your work. Glad you jumped into the conversation.

saph
Total Posts: 2312

Oh boy, yet another nmfas victim, that too in the neigborhood Welcome to the thread!

Check out technical details on the photosynthesis site - http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#135 . The 135 f2 AI (and the AIS is optically identical) has been one of my favorites in recent months, its great for portrait work. Ronny from Sweden posts some amazing work with the 135 f2 AI, and several other folks here have been showing off the 135 3.5 or 135 2.8 versions.

I just got hold of a 13.5cm f3.5 and did a quick bokeh test against the f2 AI version, just above on this page. I don't think you can go wrong with any. The f2 versions are the heaviest and if you like large aperture lenses, those are the ones to go to.

Cool, another 500 F4P user! Do you do any birding in the area? I am always on the lookout for birding spots.

StonePhotog wrote:

Thanks!

georgms
Total Posts: 3403

Ron, ouch! Your picture looks like a lot of damage and a lot of work.

Rafael, congrats to your new 5.8cm! The rendering of the pool-shot is really interesting.

Stone, welcome! as to the 55/1.2 vs 50/1.2-debate: I have both lenses and prefer the old 55/1.2. The 50/1.2 has a pretty hard vignetting at the corners (hard to correct, this goes for use on FX-cameras), but might be a tad sharper than the 55/1.2. I don't know why, the 55/1.2just feels better ;-)
For use in good light I prefer the 135/3.5 over the 135/2. The fat 135/2 is a bit troubled in terms of longitudinal CA's, but is a very fine lens otherwise and a great available-light performer.

georgms
Total Posts: 3403

Here's a shot from last year that was really hard to convert to B&W. Reason was the blood-red jackets of these friendly butchers ;-)

delicious sausages - D3s, 35/1.4 Ai at f/4

elnj
Total Posts: 195

Hi all,

After spending a lot of time here last summer, I've been away for a while. But now that summer is here, I've been back to shooting a little more often, and have been enjoying (as always) looking at what people have posted here.

Here are a few of the orchids in my office (shot this past winter), 55mm f/1.2 SC AI'd:

Eric J.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13100

Gorgeous set Eric with one of my favorite lenses, both for its production ad for its beauty. This is the lens that launched my obsession with pre-AI lenses that is hopefully coming to an end...

Welcome back. I know there are folks who come and go from the thread. Life happens. But it is always a treat to have old friends come back for a visit, no matter how long that might be. Since you work in academia perhaps you have a bit of time off during the summer and will wish to play with us a bit.

Nice office by the way...

StonePhotog
Total Posts: 117

Thanks for the great replies everyone. Curtis, my profile has been updated - please call me Jay.

The information and comparison pictures of the various 135mm lenses is interesting. Size doesn't worry me as much as performance, and cost, to a lesser extent. I feel that if I'm going to invest in a lens, even if it's 30 years old, I want it to perform, or to at least have a special quality that distinguishes it from the rest of the crowd. That said, the 135mm f3.5 and f2 look intriguing, so maybe I'll snag both eventually!

Saph, it's great to know there's another Baltimore photog on the site! The 500mm f4 p is a great lens. When you nail the focus it is extremely sharp. I have a few pics - I will post them when it's not late on a Friday night - where I can see the pupil of a bird 20-25 yards away.

Locally, I've had some luck at Lake Roland/Robert E. Lee park on the border of Baltimore City and Baltimore County. I went out today and shot a mother wood duck with 4 ducklings. Unfortunately, the dad never showed up so he's still on my life list. I also saw two Night Herons fishing at the base of the dam, and I've seen Great Blue Herons, Snowy Egrets, and a Bald Eagle there, as well. In fact, seeing the Bald Eagle is what led me to get the 500 p, as I didn't have enough reach or IQ to properly capture him swimming with a fish that was too big for him to fly with, and then snacking on the fish for about 30 minutes afterward. It's a once in a lifetime sequence that I don't want to miss again.

Thanks again for the welcome everyone. I think I'm going to enjoy it here.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7708

Love this shot, Larry, bummer about the medical issue though. I tried Kodachrome once, and didn't get very good results with it.

LarryM wrote:
I tried to get involved with this group about 6 months ago but fate had other plans for me. I experienced a bad reaction to a medicine that put me out of commission for a few months.

In the meantime I sorted through my photo files for MF Nikon stuff and found a few.

This is from a Kodachrome slide shot in 1974 with a Nikkormat and 20mm f/3.5 Nikkor.

I hope to be more active in the future.

Larry

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7708

Thanks Dean

deang001 wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Rather than curse the pounding, I incorporate it when it happens during yoga.

Hey Laura ... what an excellent outlook you have

Mea cupla

CGrindahl wrote:

Did I miss something here? This is the SECOND post on this thread and was made August 22, 2010. How did it come to be revived here, now? What's up Laura?

Thanks Alan, need to get busy and get more prints in the notebook too, along with developing some more film while I can.

huddy wrote:
Laura, it's lovely to see someone here making B&W prints! Keep up the good work!

Curtis, your kit keeps growing and I'm afraid mine keeps going backwards. Once my 28 departs, I'll be down to 3 MF Nikkors from a high of 9. The 3 that I have aren't going anywhere though (50/1.2, 105/2.5, 180/2.8 ED).

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1410

This rather long posting is to show the image characteristics of the 5.8cm 1.4,

Ended up removing and lubing the aperture ring for the 5.8 cm as it was raspy and hard, these first generation lenses have an aperture ring that threads onto the lens body like a large nut. It is now smooth and easy to turn.

Then it went for the usual Friday Cruising Grand in escondido, all shots D3 at 1.4, I did like what I got. It was Pierce Arrow and Packard day. Minimal post processing. I only use NX2.

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 D3 at 1.4 Mustang by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 D3 at 1.4 T-glaspar by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 D3 at 1.4 Packard by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 D3 at 1.4 Pierce Arrow by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 D3 at 1.4 T-Bird by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 5.8 cm 1.4 D3 at 1.4 Packard 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2885

Rafael, that last shot is mint.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2885

Question for you fine folks. Have a shoot Sunday, Father's Day portrait. Which of the lenses in my sig do you think I should use? Since I am on Dx, I am thinking my 50/1.8. My 35/2.8 may be good as well. What do you think?

1       2       3              2936      
       2938              4247       4248       end