Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2889

1       2       3              2889      
       2891              5885       5886       end

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

I was very pleased at the results of the comparison between the 300 4.5 EDIF and the 100-300 5.6. The photos on the left and top belong to the 100-300 and the ones on the right are the 300. The 100-300 has just a tad of CA which would not be hard to remove. All in all the old zoom held up pretty well considering the distance of the first shot. I would not hesitate to recommend the zoom to anyone who prefers the zoom. Thanks to all who participated.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1471

georgms wrote:
While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations, Nano-coating and stuff like this. I've mentioned my new-found passion for Nikon's Tilt-lenses and he laughed: „Yeah, Scheimpflug rules!”. He told me about his job and said that some un-coated lenses had been reported in my neighborhood and he was looking for these and other subjects. An sunbeam coming out of a maple-tree caught his attention and I quickly took a picture of the officer. Shortly afterwards his radio called him away.
I better don't show him this image, I might get another fine ;-)

"bokeh-crimes" I love it.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

MDoc9523 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Georg your Police shot is very cool and I find it very humorous

Thanks for the bio Ray. If ever I get to Tampa I'll definitely show up at your karaoke club. We can hoist a few and sing duets, cameras with fast lenses at our sides... I'm so glad we met Ray. I really would love to go shooting with you again. Perhaps that will come to pass.

It was a pleasure taking photos with you. I really hope you make it this way again. Perhaps you can bring the 135 F2 so you can talk me into buying another lens

Your wish is my command. As I said, the lenses I bought came along in good part to tempt you. I'll keep looking for holes in your kit and make certain to bring some tempting options for our next meeting. It is still not clear where Sue is going to end up. If she hasn't found a permanent home in the coming months we'll be re-examining options. A friend spoke about how nice it is around Tampa. She'd made a trip with her son early this year. Of course, winter comes with more moderate temperatures, but she was talking as well about the vegetation. If Florida ever comes on the radar screen again, I think we owe it to ourselves to check out the west coast.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4676

CGrindahl wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Okay Kevin... time for your bio. You've become a stalwart of this thread and we definitely need to get to know you a bit better. Adding a bio to your profile allows us to keep that information available for new folks who show up on the scene. Since we're neighbors... lets be friends...

Will get right on it. Hope to have it up later today.

Wonderful Kevin! There are so many stories, so many journeys through this human incarnation. Your love of photography, nurtured at your grandmother's side has stayed with your your entire life, coming together with a camera you'd saved years to own and a MF lens received as a gift. Then the serendipity of finding this thread and fully engaging in photography. Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing all of that. I'm so pleased you found us.

Your picture of the Golden Gate is what brought me here in the first place.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Foggy14 wrote:
georgms wrote:
While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations, Nano-coating and stuff like this. I've mentioned my new-found passion for Nikon's Tilt-lenses and he laughed: �Yeah, Scheimpflug rules!�. He told me about his job and said that some un-coated lenses had been reported in my neighborhood and he was looking for these and other subjects. An sunbeam coming out of a maple-tree caught his attention and I quickly took a picture of the officer. Shortly afterwards his radio called him away.
I better don't show him this image, I might get another fine ;-)

"bokeh-crimes" I love it.

Thanks, Jeff, glad to hear that you like this silly stuff. I have a weak spot for "bokeh-criminals" like Nikon's old 24/2 or 35/1.4 ;-)

The story has a more serious background - I was checking out the nodal-point of the PC 28/3.5 for a future project and noticed that stitching is really difficult with ghosting in the frame of the single shots.
I really like lenses with some character, but the PC 28/3.5 is a bit unpredictable for my taste. I love it's handling and mechanical qualities, but the distortion is hard to correct at shifted position. It will produce wonderful sunbursts, but is really prone to flare and ghosting.
Here's another shot showing the amount of ghosting (and the upper end of my beloved Berlebach wooden tripod):

ghosting created with PC-Nikkor 28/3.5, lens wide open and at about MFD, D700

CGrindahl

I'll join the chorus Ray and say that were I to pick a lens in your shootout it would be a guess, not a reasoned analysis. Amazing when you recognize the 100-300 was produced as a consumer grade lens, while the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF is a top of the line performer. I bought the 100-300 because of your work with the lens and was very happy with its performance when I used it. But I really do tend more toward prime lenses rather than zooms.

Here's a shot I took with the 100-300 f/5.6 AI-s, wide open.

CGrindahl

kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Okay Kevin... time for your bio. You've become a stalwart of this thread and we definitely need to get to know you a bit better. Adding a bio to your profile allows us to keep that information available for new folks who show up on the scene. Since we're neighbors... lets be friends...

Will get right on it. Hope to have it up later today.

Wonderful Kevin! There are so many stories, so many journeys through this human incarnation. Your love of photography, nurtured at your grandmother's side has stayed with your your entire life, coming together with a camera you'd saved years to own and a MF lens received as a gift. Then the serendipity of finding this thread and fully engaging in photography. Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing all of that. I'm so pleased you found us.

Your picture of the Golden Gate is what brought me here in the first place.

We California guys have to hang together... north and south, east and west. Glad you accepted the invitation.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8401

kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

OK, I had a break at work and wrote up my "short" bio... **snicker**

Nice bio!

Foggy14

These may get the Focus Police on my case.

kwoodard

jhinkey wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

OK, I had a break at work and wrote up my "short" bio... **snicker**

Nice bio!

Thanks!

kwoodard

Foggy14 wrote:
These may get the Focus Police on my case.

I love the Palm Shadows shot. I tried to do something similar, could not get what I wanted. Too many trees I think on mine.

Foggy14

Thanks Kevin. Yep, I love the shadow lines a grove of tall palms can produce.

georgms

Jeff, I love both shots: the "palm shadows" for their outstanding graphical qualities, the "Soft Agave" for the wonderful B&W. Do you develop B&W on your own? I miss my darkroom - PanF+ is a wonderful film, my developer of choice lately was Diafine.
Btw, no need to call the focus police, I've seen much worse focus-issues in the various D800-AF-issue-threads

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

georgms wrote:
Ratty, it's always nice to see real film-shots here. Do you still use Neopan 400?

Thank you. One of the "problems" with shooting film is that it is hard to remember which images I post are made with which film. No EXIF information to help out with my failing memory.

If the light allows, I always default to Neopan Acros (100 speed). It is an amazing film that scans very well and has by far the best image quality I have ever seen. Nothing comes close to Acros film in my opinion.

Sadly, being only available in 100, it is not an all purpose film, so then I fall back on Neopan 400, which is good, but I feel does not scan as well. I do not yet do my own scans so I am not sure if the lab that does my scanning is getting the best out of the film that is there. I am sorely tempted to buy a scanner soon and enter that world, but I'd much rather spend my money on more manual focus lenses.

rattymouse

Another shot at the park with the 24mm f/2 lens.

georgms

rattymouse wrote:
georgms wrote:
Ratty, it's always nice to see real film-shots here. Do you still use Neopan 400?

Thank you. One of the "problems" with shooting film is that it is hard to remember which images I post are made with which film. No EXIF information to help out with my failing memory.

If the light allows, I always default to Neopan Acros (100 speed). It is an amazing film that scans very well and has by far the best image quality I have ever seen. Nothing comes close to Acros film in my opinion.

Sadly, being only available in 100, it is not an all purpose film, so then I fall back on Neopan 400, which is good, but I feel does not scan as well. I do not yet do my own scans so I am not sure if the lab that does my scanning is getting the best out of the film that is there. I am sorely tempted to buy a scanner soon and enter that world, but I'd much rather spend my money on more manual focus lenses.

Yeah, I know Acros. It's my favorite 100-speed film in both 35mm and 120-format. Love it in Diafine or Rodinal. I've shot a lot of Neopan 400 at work (back in the late 90's) and always liked this film. Too bad that it isn't available in 120 anymore...
I really miss my wet darkroom, I can develop film but have not the right room to set up my enlarger.

Foggy14

Thanks Georg. Fortunately, we still have a good lab in town that develops B&W film as well as color slides. I feel a little guilty as I've slacked off on my film shooting and I'm not supporting their business as much as I once did. The D800 is just too convenient, that pesky little AF issue aside.

rattymouse

georgms wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
georgms wrote:

Yeah, I know Acros. It's my favorite 100-speed film in both 35mm and 120-format. Love it in Diafine or Rodinal. I've shot a lot of Neopan 400 at work (back in the late 90's) and always liked this film. Too bad that it isn't available in 120 anymore...
I really miss my wet darkroom, I can develop film but have not the right room to set up my enlarger.

I have yet to get into developing my own film. I bought all the equipment to do so, save the chemicals, but then stalled because of two reasons. One as I mentioned, I dont have a scanner yet so I'd either have to send out my negatives to get scanned or buy a scanner, and two- I have access to a fantastic lab that is absolutely first rate, and very affordable. I figured I should use this lab while I can (I wont live in China forever), and develop my own film once back in the US.

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Too many pages flying by, at this rate may need to depend on long compilations of comments by folks like Jeff and Georg.

Seeing all the profile updates, I updated mine to add more detail.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2483

Definitely this thread is exploding, that is a good thing, but it brings the old question back up again: should we have a more organized means of sharing and communicating than a linear thread?

Anyways, Nikon sent my 15mm 3.5 ais after the second repair, they did a decent job on the first repair, but a light haze remained in one element surface, I sent it back to try and have the element replaced, the service supervisor called me twice, I think he was a bit miffed that I was complaining about light haze, but heck, it was my chance to get this lens right. I have been told they disassembled and cleaned it again, but could not replace the element as spares are not available anymore. However the supervisor did all possible to not admit they could have done a better job the first time, including listing that no work was done to the lens while telling me on the phone that they fully disassembled it.

The lens is performing excellently, the haze is now even lighter, so I will let it go at that, with one final query to customer service to confirm parts are really not available. At one point in this second repair the lens was listed as 'waiting for parts'.

Again, these 15mm 3.5 and the 5.6 are capable of excellent results on the D800, but they require careful focusing, on my 5.6 I need to focus far, and on the 3.5 near, to have the field of focus extend to the entire image. Any portion out of focus will not have Bokeh, it will just be ugly.

Here is the 3.5 performance after second repair:
First the actual lens

15mm F3.5 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This is its 5.6 dad

15mm F5.6 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A well focused picture, again this lens needs to be focused near, as it extends focus to the back gracefully, this at f/8 and full size at flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 after second repair. by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A crop 100%

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 after second repair crop 1 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A BIF Crop

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 ais D800 after second repair crop 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

1       2       3              2889      
       2891              5885       5886       end