Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2887

1       2       3              2887      
2888
       2889              5887       5888       end

leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12618
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks for the bio Jared. That was exactly what I was hoping for... both a bit about yourself and about your passions wherever they may life. For years i drove a white 510 Datsun station wagon that was absolutely a champ. I owned it during the years when I was putting an addition on my home in Vallejo, CA where I both worked and lived before moving to Marin County. I carried a hundred sheets of sheetrock on the top of that car and carried sand and gravel in the back... I think I worked it to death. I replaced it with a white Toyota Corolla station wagon that I drove for years as well.

There are a few of us who've been into cars, none more so than Ron who rebuilt a number of old cars. He did serious restorations. During my youth I dropped new engines in a couple of cars, a 1955 Chevy BelAire coupe and a 1956 Corvette roadster. I appreciate anyone who finds pleasure in tinkering with cars. At this point in my life, I want nothing more than a car that starts when I turn the key. That said, I drive an Acura coupe with a five speed transmission. I still enjoy driving.

Lovely photo too... a rather stunning sky. Glad you found us.


+1 Yea Datsun! I used to have a Datsun B210.



CGrindahl
Registered: Dec 17, 2004
Total Posts: 16784
Country: United States

Chin and Georg are INVITED to create more descriptive bios in their profile page. Come join us guys. We know a little bit about each of you but it would be great to have something on the record that folks who are new to this site can refer to as they get to know us. You might even surprise the old timers as well with little known facts about yourself. You can check out my profile, or John's or Peter's.



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

Foggy14 wrote:
Thanks much for the kind comments on the Fourth of July shots.

Scott, your treatment of the industrial light fixture is very nice.


Jeff, your WA image is a real winner. Nicely done.

Thank you for the comment.
Scott



pburke
Registered: Oct 08, 2010
Total Posts: 3003
Country: United States

A quick DIY post - in case you want to protect your old Nikkors and not pay incredible prices for custom jobs at Lenscoat (that's what they offered me after they sent me a non-fitting set for my "old" lens), you can easily make these covers yourself.

I bought two running feet of the fabric and now have enough material to cover all the lenses I will ever own, and you can keep cutting these things exactly to your liking and buy the neoprene fabric you like. I chose a pattern that is light for hot days, but reverses to classic black on the other.







All it takes is what's in this photo, plus a razor blade for the holes you may need and some double sided tape for pieces that need some help to stay in place







Pix taken with the 105mm f/2.5 and 55mm f/1.2 (the tools)


Fabric from this place, the glue (which is really liquid neoprene and bonds permanently) came from REI, where they sell it to fix wetsuits. Total cost of my materials was about $40. The brand name guys charge $120 for one large lens cover.

Another one I did to practice - for the 70-300 ED VR











mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Scott - That 105/2.8 would make a great alternative to the 2.5.


My thinking exactly. I like that I can get up close without tubes.

BTW, wasn't it enough that we posted our mug shot standing side by side at the market. Now Curtis wants a full bio!



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

georgms wrote:
While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations, Nano-coating and stuff like this. I've mentioned my new-found passion for Nikon's Tilt-lenses and he laughed: „Yeah, Scheimpflug rules!”. He told me about his job and said that some un-coated lenses had been reported in my neighborhood and he was looking for these and other subjects. An sunbeam coming out of a maple-tree caught his attention and I quickly took a picture of the officer. Shortly afterwards his radio called him away.
I better don't show him this image, I might get another fine ;-)


D700, PC 28/3.5 wide open and at minimum focusing distance


Love it! Your English is just fine Georg.



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4678
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
Okay Kevin... time for your bio. You've become a stalwart of this thread and we definitely need to get to know you a bit better. Adding a bio to your profile allows us to keep that information available for new folks who show up on the scene. Since we're neighbors... lets be friends...


Will get right on it. Hope to have it up later today.



Lieutenant Z
Registered: Nov 21, 2010
Total Posts: 3777
Country: France

georgms wrote:
While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations, Nano-coating and stuff like this. I've mentioned my new-found passion for Nikon's Tilt-lenses and he laughed: „Yeah, Scheimpflug rules!”. He told me about his job and said that some un-coated lenses had been reported in my neighborhood and he was looking for these and other subjects. An sunbeam coming out of a maple-tree caught his attention and I quickly took a picture of the officer. Shortly afterwards his radio called him away.
I better don't show him this image, I might get another fine ;-)

[


Georg, that's a nice picture but do you want Ronny and I give you private English lessons?



Lieutenant Z
Registered: Nov 21, 2010
Total Posts: 3777
Country: France

Berchigranges garden, Vosges, France :



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Georg your Police shot is very cool and I find it very humorous



amlsml
Registered: May 02, 2010
Total Posts: 1640
Country: United States

Peter, great post on DIY lens coat, i think yours looks better!!



asiostygius
Registered: Nov 29, 2011
Total Posts: 3287
Country: Brazil

CGrindahl wrote:
georgms wrote:
While performing some tests with the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 in the garden I got an unexpected visit: An Officer from the German Lens-Police showed up. He checked my gear and I got a fine for not using a proper lens-shade. He told me he was from the Department of Optical Laws and Flaws, task-force for "bokeh-crimes, flare and ghosting". I told him my PC-Nikkor was fully multicoated, but unfortunately still a bit prone to flare and ghosting. He smiled and said "No problem, just use the proper lens-hood.". Actually he was really friendly and we talked a bit about spherical aberrations, Nano-coating and stuff like this. I've mentioned my new-found passion for Nikon's Tilt-lenses and he laughed: „Yeah, Scheimpflug rules!”. He told me about his job and said that some un-coated lenses had been reported in my neighborhood and he was looking for these and other subjects. An sunbeam coming out of a maple-tree caught his attention and I quickly took a picture of the officer. Shortly afterwards his radio called him away.
I better don't show him this image, I might get another fine ;-)


D700, PC 28/3.5 wide open and at minimum focusing distance


One of the funniest posts ever on this thread... Wonderful Georg and if ANYTHING puts the lie to you repeated comment about not knowing the English language very well, this posts does so. Really fun...


+100



markhout
Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Total Posts: 720
Country: United States

On a slightly different note (*), I recently bought a pinhole-Nikon-bodycap on eBay in an effort to surrender to my Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS).

It worked! And it's actually a lot of fun. Yes, my D800E is overkill (*), but I'm going to drag this bodycap with me on my summer vacation!

D800E, 0.3mm pinhole cap, 15 sec exposure, LR5, Silver Efex Pro 2



(*): all flames gratefully accepted



rankamateur
Registered: Nov 25, 2007
Total Posts: 877
Country: United States

Too hot outside so playing with the Nik software. A great program for dummies like me. 28 2.8 AI-S



a.RodriguezPix
Registered: Oct 31, 2011
Total Posts: 2236
Country: United States

markhout wrote:
On a slightly different note (*), I recently bought a pinhole-Nikon-bodycap on eBay in an effort to surrender to my Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS).

It worked! And it's actually a lot of fun. Yes, my D800E is overkill (*), but I'm going to drag this bodycap with me on my summer vacation!

D800E, 0.3mm pinhole cap, 15 sec exposure, LR5, Silver Efex Pro 2



(*): all flames gratefully accepted

i like this!noiw i need to get one of these asap!



asiostygius
Registered: Nov 29, 2011
Total Posts: 3287
Country: Brazil

Thanks Leighton, Georg,Scott, Kevin, Mark, Curtis, Ray and Jeff for the comments.

John, the sunrise + plane shot = WOW!

Georg & Roland, like the foreground & background bokes, respectively;

Chin, what a gorgeous "succulent plant";

Scott, love dthe colours and bokeh on the "industrial light";

Choung, great bug + flower captures, liked the most the 2nd one;

Peter, very fine set with the venerable 50/2 H;

PeterB, thanks for the great tips on the "DIY Lens Coat".


One more astro shot, this time I was experimenting with the 85/1.4 at f/2.
A detail of one of the brightest globular clusters, omega Centauri at the Centaurus constellation:


Omega Centauri (globular cluster) with Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS + tripod + remote shutter, ISO 3200, f/2 at 6 sec exposure.
Truly heavy crop (>125%!) of an already D600's DX mode crop.
Stars are with a slight trail, supposedly a 5 sec or 4 sec would be better.

More info and better shots on the cluster here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Centauri



Randy Roy
Registered: Apr 17, 2003
Total Posts: 1789
Country: United States

I have a 300/4.5 K lens that is in great shape, but the focus ring is a little stiff - not terrible but stiffer than it should be, I'm sure from old grease. Is this something that I could fix myself, or should I not tempt fate and send it in for this? I've done some minor lens repairs before and I know that those helicoids can be tricky. Or is there anyone out here in the Nikon MF world that can do this?

Thanks, Randy



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4678
Country: United States

asiostygius wrote: One more astro shot, this time I was experimenting with the 85/1.4 at f/2.
A detail of one of the brightest globular clusters, omega Centauri at the Centaurus constellation:


Omega Centauri (globular cluster) with Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AIS + tripod + remote shutter, ISO 3200, f/2 at 6 sec exposure.
Truly heavy crop (>125%!) of an already D600's DX mode crop.
Stars are with a slight trail, supposedly a 5 sec or 4 sec would be better.

More info and better shots on the cluster here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Centauri


Very cool shot! I love the stars.

I hope to do this with the 200-600 f/9.5 that I borrowed from where I work. What I plan to do since I won't be able to really see what I am shooting at is to rubber band my iPhone to the area with the LCD on the back of my D7000 and use the stargazing app that I have to point out stuff. My only issue is where I live has lots of light pollution. I might have to go driving. There is a location I would love to go, but its about 50 miles away...not in the budget for gas. There is an area closer, but the location is kind of scary...don't want to get robbed.

Got any tips on dealing with areas that have light pollution?



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Randy Roy wrote:
I have a 300/4.5 K lens that is in great shape, but the focus ring is a little stiff - not terrible but stiffer than it should be, I'm sure from old grease. Is this something that I could fix myself, or should I not tempt fate and send it in for this? I've done some minor lens repairs before and I know that those helicoids can be tricky. Or is there anyone out here in the Nikon MF world that can do this?

Thanks, Randy


I used to own that same lens. It is expensive to have re-greased so I would advise you to just use it. If it is like another lens that I had with the same problem over time it will loosen up. Actually when I watched TV I would take that lens out and rotate it in and out over and again. That helped a lot!



kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4678
Country: United States

Randy Roy wrote:
I have a 300/4.5 K lens that is in great shape, but the focus ring is a little stiff - not terrible but stiffer than it should be, I'm sure from old grease. Is this something that I could fix myself, or should I not tempt fate and send it in for this? I've done some minor lens repairs before and I know that those helicoids can be tricky. Or is there anyone out here in the Nikon MF world that can do this?

Thanks, Randy


I have done a 28/3.5 and am in the process of working on a 100/2.8 E Series that sat in its box since new (all the grease dried out, have already lubed the inner one). The 28 was a piece of cake to re-lube the outer helicoid, but redoing the infinity focus stop was very tough (still not sure if I have it completely right). The 100/2.8 is a bear and is being stubborn. I haven't even been able to get to that side of the helicoid. There is a Nikon Lens Repair group on Yahoo. If you can find that group, check through their archives and see if they have a repair for that lens.



1       2       3              2887      
2888
       2889              5887       5888       end