Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2887

1       2       3              2887      
       2889              4188       4189       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13028

saph wrote:
...Curtis, that's 33 I counted. This is a pure disease, nothing else I am at right at my one year anniversary of manual lenses and I have 22. That's it, I am done!

I can't tell you Samy, how many times I've said that. Folks on this thread likely smile every time, as does my partner. At first she wondered what was going on but with time she simply rolled her eyes. Of course, she enjoys the photos I take and appreciates what a wonderful pastime photography is for me.

And to note, I now have 12 pre-AI lenses in my kit. I was sitting at 23 when Ben arrived and asked the innocent question "why don't you have any OLD lenses?" Or some such thing. I bought the 55 f/1.2 S.C AI'd and the rest is history. Every time I think I'm finished, someone comes along as Jose did a few weeks ago with another lens that intrigues me. The 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd is a wonderful lens. That brought me to my latest acquisition, the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd. There really aren't too many more I COULD buy, so I may really be close to the end of my buying days.

Kit building is forever Samy. Grin and bear it...

leighton w
Total Posts: 9199

CGrindahl wrote:
saph wrote:
...Curtis, that's 33 I counted. This is a pure disease, nothing else I am at right at my one year anniversary of manual lenses and I have 22. That's it, I am done!

I can't tell you Samy, how many times I've said that. Folks on this thread likely smile every time, as does my partner. At first she wondered what was going on but with time she simply rolled her eyes. Of course, she enjoys the photos I take and appreciates what a wonderful pastime photography is for me.

And to note, I now have 12 pre-AI lenses in my kit. I was sitting at 22 when Ben arrived and asked the innocent question "why don't you have any OLD lenses?" Or some such thing. I bought the 55 f/1.2 S.C AI'd and the rest is history. Every time I think I'm finished, someone comes along as Jose did a few weeks ago with another lens that intrigues me. The 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd is a wonderful lens. That brought me to my latest acquisition, the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd. There really aren't too many more I COULD buy, so I may really be close to the end of my buying days.

If you and Sue ever do move in together, will there be room to lay her head what with all of those lenses?

CGrindahl

We're having a rainy Memorial Day but clouds on San Francisco Bay were intriguing enough that I stopped by the Larkspur Ferry Terminal to take a few photos of San Quentin prison and the cloudy sky. I shot with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd at f/8, hand held. This is a panorama of five portrait oriented photos that I converted in Silver Efex Pro 2. Enjoy.

philipj
Total Posts: 842

Foggy14 wrote:

Philip, "reaching" is a very special photo.

Thanks Jeff! I thought so too.

leighton w

Great shot Curtis, the ship and the clouds hanging on the water makes it. I also like the conversion.

CGrindahl

leighton w wrote:

...If you and Sue ever do move in together, will there be room to lay her head what with all of those lenses?

Good question... My kitchen is really my office. I have four pieces of office furniture from Scandinavian Design that hold files, my printer, books and most importantly lenses. In the middle of it all is a table on which stands my 27" iMac. Beneath that is a small table with five external hard drives and one rolling set of drawers. I can't imagine I'd be able to get by without ALL of this and I've no idea where I'd put it were we living together. But for now the intention is for Sue to buy something on her own and for me to stay in my much loved cottage.

Bottom line, of course, is that no lenses will be sold to make way for any future home...

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:

Bottom line, of course, is that no lenses will be sold to make way for any future home...

Phew...what a relief!

leighton w

saph wrote:

Crabs (plastic) on an assembly line. The contraption was meant to pick out the shell.

I really like this one Samy, even better than the door image.

CGrindahl

leighton w wrote:
Great shot Curtis, the ship and the clouds hanging on the water makes it. I also like the conversion.

Thanks Leighton. I've found that working with the luminance sliders in Lightroom can be particularly useful with shots like this. Reducing luminance in the blue channel darks distance vistas and highlights details in the clouds, while increasing luminance in red, yellow and orange channels brights the foreground. Once in SEP there isn't really a great deal to do, though I added some white vignetting and structure before selecting a frame. I'm definitely enjoying using that software.

As a number of us have mentioned before, working in digital post processing can be as satisfying as taking the photo. I certainly enjoy that kind of work.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 988

leighton w wrote:

+1. Really nice horizontal elements on that one Curtis.

georgms
Total Posts: 3353

Curtis, great framing with the prison as artistic "anchor point" and the ship steaming into this direction (is this a bow wave?). Your B&W-conversion works very well for me.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5812

CGrindahl wrote:

Curtis you need to make this slogan into a T-Shir and sell it to all us MF Nikkor-toting guys . . .

Foggy14
Total Posts: 988

I was going through some older film shots and this one, with a 105/2.5, caught my eye.

CGrindahl

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Curtis you need to make this slogan into a T-Shir and sell it to all us MF Nikkor-toting guys . . .

That's a great idea, though I'd likely have to give them away because I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to buy one.

Your name came up a moment ago as I refreshing a list I keep of MF lens purchases. I note in the list where the lens came from and I was having difficulty getting the numbers to add up correctly until I realized that ONE lens came to me via a recommendation from you that led me to a Seattle camera store where I bought the 400 f/5.6 ED-IF AI-s lens. Thanks again John. The floppy hood is not a problem for me and the price was so ridiculously low that I'm still amazed.

Maybe I'll work on that T shirt. It might be an enjoyable design exercise, if nothing else...

CGrindahl

georgms wrote:
Curtis, great framing with the prison as artistic "anchor point" and the ship steaming into this direction (is this a bow wave?). Your B&W-conversion works very well for me.

Thanks Georg. Yes, that is a bow wave... Here's a closer shot of the freighter from another capture.

There are a number of refineries at the edge of the bay and farther away on the Sacramento river that feeds the bay. There is quite a bit of freighter traffic and the ships definitely clip along.

CGrindahl

Gorgeous photos Jeff. That, of course, is what these lenses were designed to do. Beautiful.

georgms

Jeff, beautiful scenery, love the Velvia-colors.

Curtis, the "single shot" is wonderful too. Love the horizontal layers of clouds, mountains, fog and sand bar.

georgms

I've spent quite some time to look at a ship that will leave the city tomorrow towards a scrap-wharf (put out to sea was scheduled for today).
Many spectators aground and on the water were waiting to say goodbye. A small classy wooden boat caught my eyes, it was probably built in the 30's.
I'm happy that this old launch had more luck than the ship behind it.

Die Georg B�chner... von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D3s, 300/4.5 IF-ED, cropped a bit

CGrindahl

Thanks Georg. The water at the bottom of the image is from Corte Madera Creek that flows through my home town of San Anselmo. My home is about five and a half miles from the Ferry Terminal where I was standing when I took these. I always enjoy the bay best when there are clouds and fog with which to work. They definitely make for interesting conversions.

Wonderful photo above as well. BW is really your bread and butter, as we might say. It works well for you and you consistently share with us very fine work, that definitely is inspiring.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2836

I just found out today that the old 35mm f/2.8 Non-AI will fit onto my D7000 without being modified. The aperture ring is very narrow and slips under the Indexing tab. So, the lens is usable completely manually. The indexing tab hits the rabbit ears, so it indexes (just not correctly). Going to see if I can use this to my advantage.

***UPDATE***

Built up a little AI stop between f11 and f16, waiting on the superglue to dry. (I am very good with glue, it is only where I want it, and totally reversible if I need to remove it.) Then its on to testing!

1       2       3              2887      
       2889              4188       4189       end