/forum/topic/929565/2859

1       2       3              2859      
       2861              5887       5888       end

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8403

A few more with the 45/2.8P wide open:

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 4110

John you always post great photos of your kids and your travels! I am jealous, I wish I had the time/money to travel that much with Brandon!

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8403

Matt OHarver wrote:
John you always post great photos of your kids and your travels! I am jealous, I wish I had the time/money to travel that much with Brandon!

Thanks Matt - I know I'm a very lucky guy. Although I find myself sitting here at 11:30 at night working for a couple of hours while on vacation in order to afford it . . . .

John

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

The next meeting of the Nikon MF lens shooters took place last night in Zurich when I had the opportunity to meet a very nice gentleman called Philip (Philipj) who was in the neighbourhood. He had with him a very beautiful companion, a 105mm f1.8 which is a stunning piece of glass.
We had the chance to have a short walk around the centre of Zurich and I hope I left him with a very positive view of the city, even if the weather didn't co-operate with us.
Below is the man himself with the 105mm late in the evening.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

Zippy - I like the perspective of your 28mm image. I believe the 28mm f2.8 AI-s is another of the "desert island" lenses.

Scott - Very nice set, but the composition and conversion of the first one is REALLY good. You know...that used to be part of Virginia!

Curtis - I hope Sue doesn't wear you out.

John - Love the "Pedicure In The Sand" image. The toenails definitely makes it.

leighton w

MarkdV wrote:
The next meeting of the Nikon MF lens shooters took place last night in Zurich when I had the opportunity to meet a very nice gentleman called Philip (Philipj) who was in the neighbourhood. He had with him a very beautiful companion, a 105mm f1.8 which is a stunning piece of glass.
We had the chance to have a short walk around the centre of Zurich and I hope I left him with a very positive view of the city, even if the weather didn't co-operate with us.

As soon as I scrolled down and saw your pic I thought, that kind of looks like Philip. I'm glad you two had the chance to meet and shoot a little. There's nothing like meeting the fine folks of this thread as some of us has had the pleasure of doing. I still think we ought to have a big reunion!

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Scott, very cool shots of the old train! I like the first picture a lot, the framing with the sign up front is very nice.
We have a narrow-gauge railroad here, I'll take your fine shots as inspiration for a possible future shoot of it.

Curtis, love your bokeh-play with the 55/1.2! A viewing-pleasure for sure - thanks for sharing!

John, the "Post-Swim Contemplation" is a wonderful image. Somehow it has a very nostalgic feel to it: the shallow, but not superthin depth of field, the composition, the light - all together very moody and old-fashioned in the best meaning.

Mark, very cool meeting with Philip in Zurich! I hope his view of Zurich is a nice as your opinion about his fantastic 105/1.8 ;-)

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Scott, thank you, I'm glad you liked the "blue view".

Here's another one from yesterday evening, taken with the PC-E 45/2.8D too.

quick goodbye von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D700, PC-E 45 wide open

leighton w

Very good use of this lens Georg.

jaredvanb
Total Posts: 43

Regarding the 28mm f/2.8 AI-s, does anyone here perhaps know if it has an aspherical element in it's design?

I have been googling my fingers off trying to find a lens cross section diagram for the lens but can't seem to find one...

Regards
Jared

leighton w

jaredvanb wrote:
Regarding the 28mm f/2.8 AI-s, does anyone here perhaps know if it has an aspherical element in it's design?

I have been googling my fingers off trying to find a lens cross section diagram for the lens but can't seem to find one...

Regards
Jared

I don't believe it does. Just the CRC feature.

leighton w

Congratulations to Mark for getting second place in the weekly assignment (Night Lights). This was my entry taken with the 50/1.2 on my way to the market a couple of weeks ago.

50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

jaredvanb
Total Posts: 43

leighton w wrote:
Congratulations to Mark for getting second place in the weekly assignment (Night Lights). This was my entry taken with the 50/1.2 on my way to the market a couple of weeks ago.

50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Lovely photograph... Nicely done!

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

leighton w wrote:

Thanks Leighton.

Jeff (Foggy) came in 3rd as well and with your entry a good week for the MF crowd - although I confess I used an AF lens on mine.
I loved your entry, it was very atmospheric. I think one of the other posters said it best when he said it was effective on several levels at once.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

One of these days I'm going to have to figure out this weekly assignment thing to see whether I can participate. Always good to run into friends elsewhere on this site. I'll have to check out the recent assignment and see what you fellows are up to. No doubt Leighton's image is first rate. I even recognize that setting from an earlier photo. Great location.

I'll drop a few more photos on the thread beginning with more bokeh play from last Sunday created with a wide open 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd. I'm still very infatuated with that lens. It is a joy to hold and I'm never disappointed with what it creates.

And one taken with the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd during my walk with Sue at the Vedanta Retreat Center in Olema.

Now back to house cleaning...

the solitaire
Total Posts: 2101

georgms wrote:
the solitaire wrote:
Funny thing. I have been thinking of that 28mm f2.8 AIs lens all day today, as well as thinking of the 24 f2.4 AIs used in the photos Mark posted earlier.

I asked a question about the 18mm f3.5 Nikkor earlier, but based on the comments I�m sure I won�t like it much.

I have to admit, I�m very picky when it comes to sharpness, contrast and vignetting in the lenses I use and/or buy. That and mechanical quality.

I have been thinking lately of buying a small lens with an angle of view wider then the 50mm f2 AI I already own.

Both the 24mm angle of view and the 28mm angle of view would be wide enough for my intended use.

I have no experience with either of these lenses and unfortunately none of the two are available for a test drive anywhere near me. Between the two, which has the lower distortion and vignetting. Which has the better overall sharpness and contrast?

I know both lenses are often referred to as awesome. In my case they have to measure up to the 14-24 zoom in terms of image quality. I want to take the lens when I leave the 14-24 at home because of weight and size.

Any advise or shared experience with either of the lenses is greatly appreciated

Buddy, I've never used the 28/2.8 Ais, but did quite a bit of shooting with the 24/2.8. In my experience the neat 24/2.8 is quite sharp and at least stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 you won't see much difference to the mighty 14-24/2.8 in terms of sharpness.
The fat 14-24 is more contrasty wide open, shows less distortion at 24mm and much less vignetting too.
That said, the 24/2.8 Ais is still a good lens. I like it's compact size and ability to take filters (I use an "over-built" Polarizer and sometimes Cokin-P gradual-ND-filters in the slim Cokin-P-holder). The 24/2.8 Ais is a bit more prone to flare compared to the 14-24. The vignetting of the 24/2.8 is very even and can be used creatively (some lenses have a rather harsh vignetting, the 50/1.2 comes to my mind).
Another lens that might interest you is the 28/2 (Ai/Ai'd or Ais). I like it a lot. It handles flare and ghosting better than the 24/2.8, is pretty sharp and contrasty and was my go-to-lens for a good while.
All these lenses are widely used here (among the MF-Nikon-community), hopefully other users will chime in and share their opinions.
Mit Gruss von der Ostsee, Georg aus Rostock.

Vielen Dank Georg, and of course thank you to everyone who chimed in.

So basically either the 28 or 24 f2.8 AIs and the 28 f2.0 AIs are good choices if I want sharpness, contrast and low distortion and vignetting. Ill have a look on ebay to see what I can find. I dont mind stopping down a bit. f5.6 sounds about ideal.

For camera transport I use Lowepro Toploader bags and they only carry the camera plus 2-3 lenses and a flash. I found that the 85mm f1.8 fits in the front compartment just fine so I guess stuffing in a 24 or 28 AIs for those days where I leave the 14-24 at home should not be a problem and greatly increases versatility of the gear I take with me on a hike.

Rostock is quite a bit away from Viersen. From the pictures you posted and which I have seen it looks like a nice place though.

@Jaredvanb, you can find a cross section of that lens here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/28mmnikkor/28mmf28.htm

No aspherical glass in there by the looks of it.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

leighton w wrote:
MarkdV wrote:

As soon as I scrolled down and saw your pic I thought, that kind of looks like Philip. I'm glad you two had the chance to meet and shoot a little. There's nothing like meeting the fine folks of this thread as some of us has had the pleasure of doing. I still think we ought to have a big reunion!

Mark, very nice that you were able to meet each other. Like Leighton says it is nice to meet each other face to face.

Leighton, thank you for the comment.

mp356

CGrindahl wrote:
One of these days I'm going to have to figure out this weekly assignment thing to see whether I can participate. Always good to run into friends elsewhere on this site. I'll have to check out the recent assignment and see what you fellows are up to. No doubt Leighton's image is first rate. I even recognize that setting from an earlier photo. Great location.

I'll drop a few more photos on the thread beginning with more bokeh play from last Sunday created with a wide open 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd. I'm still very infatuated with that lens. It is a joy to hold and I'm never disappointed with what it creates.

Now back to house cleaning...

Nice series Curtis. As for the WA, please join in. It is fun.

mp356

georgms wrote:
Scott, thank you, I'm glad you liked the "blue view".

Here's another one from yesterday evening, taken with the PC-E 45/2.8D too.

quick goodbye von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D700, PC-E 45 wide open

Thank you Georg.

I like the composition and "gritty" b&w conversion on this one.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3759

CGrindahl wrote:

Very whimsical birds at a wonderful little shop.

Very nice Curtis, I noticed the circular ripples on the left, it's rather unique. What might that be? The wheel from your latest post? Or a table fan?

1       2       3              2859      
       2861              5887       5888       end