Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2858

1       2       3              2858      
       2860              5891       5892       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

MDoc9523 wrote:
I used the 50mm 1.4 for several shots during our trip to the Smoky's This a lens that I found in a yard sale a while back for $25.00. It was the K version and no conversion kits were available, so I had my good friend trim it for me. I had forgotten exactly how good this lens was until I came across these photos that I had overlooked before. I will use this lens on the D600 for sure!

I have this lens too. Its the 50/1.4 I have been itching to convert. I am hesitent as my copy is in VERY good shape and I have heard there is a market for the K models as they aren't as numerous. I haven't converted it for that very reason...

On a similar front, I was gifted a 28/3.5 that was in rough condition with one of the inner elements loose in the lens. I am nearly done repairing it and I think I will have a good workable copy. If it renders anything like my 35/2.8, it might replace my Series E 28/2.8. The E is very tough on Dx on anything wider than f/5.6. With the longer focus throw of the older lens, I may have better luck. Hope to find out possibly as soon as Thursday. I wish I had something wider for fireworks, but I think if I am good with placement, I will be OK. (more than likely I will be right underneath the display, last year I was able to get good images with my cell from that location).

Stay tuned!

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

the solitaire wrote:
Funny thing. I have been thinking of that 28mm f2.8 AIs lens all day today, as well as thinking of the 24 f2.4 AIs used in the photos Mark posted earlier.

I asked a question about the 18mm f3.5 Nikkor earlier, but based on the comments I�m sure I won�t like it much.

I have to admit, I�m very picky when it comes to sharpness, contrast and vignetting in the lenses I use and/or buy. That and mechanical quality.

I have been thinking lately of buying a small lens with an angle of view wider then the 50mm f2 AI I already own.

Both the 24mm angle of view and the 28mm angle of view would be wide enough for my intended use.

I have no experience with either of these lenses and unfortunately none of the two are available for a test drive anywhere near me. Between the two, which has the lower distortion and vignetting. Which has the better overall sharpness and contrast?

I know both lenses are often referred to as awesome. In my case they have to measure up to the 14-24 zoom in terms of image quality. I want to take the lens when I leave the 14-24 at home because of weight and size.

Any advise or shared experience with either of the lenses is greatly appreciated

Buddy, I've never used the 28/2.8 Ais, but did quite a bit of shooting with the 24/2.8. In my experience the neat 24/2.8 is quite sharp and at least stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 you won't see much difference to the mighty 14-24/2.8 in terms of sharpness.
The fat 14-24 is more contrasty wide open, shows less distortion at 24mm and much less vignetting too.
That said, the 24/2.8 Ais is still a good lens. I like it's compact size and ability to take filters (I use an "over-built" Polarizer and sometimes Cokin-P gradual-ND-filters in the slim Cokin-P-holder). The 24/2.8 Ais is a bit more prone to flare compared to the 14-24. The vignetting of the 24/2.8 is very even and can be used creatively (some lenses have a rather harsh vignetting, the 50/1.2 comes to my mind).
Another lens that might interest you is the 28/2 (Ai/Ai'd or Ais). I like it a lot. It handles flare and ghosting better than the 24/2.8, is pretty sharp and contrasty and was my go-to-lens for a good while.
All these lenses are widely used here (among the MF-Nikon-community), hopefully other users will chime in and share their opinions.
Mit Gruss von der Ostsee, Georg aus Rostock.

jaredvanb
Total Posts: 43

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you leighton, Georg and Jared. Welcome to the thread Jared!
Our timing was good leighton, although many of the leaves had already fallen in the the lower elevations. We were there for the first snowfall of the year. This was a special treat for Melody , who had never seen snow before

Thank you Ray, absolutely loving this thread! Both as someone that loves equipment from a bygone era, and someone new to the world of photography (8 months and counting!)

Really enjoying getting my toes wet in the MF Nikon world... Chasing a certain lens for months and then getting so close you can taste it is such a rush!

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8411

Nothing special today - one from the beach.

Why level the horizon with your 16mm fisheye and can't get the sun in the frame when you can go crazy and get the most beach AND the sun in by some creative tilting.

- John

saph
Total Posts: 3699

One more vote for the 24 2.8 AIS. The 14-24 of course is outstanding, but the little 24 is sharp edge to edge at f 5.6 or f8, where I have used it a lot. The weight and bulk of the newer WA usually counts against it unless I have a specific reason to use it.

Here's one more left over from the Smithsonian Natural History Museum in DC.

Looking in the mirror. 35 1.4N, f/2.8

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

John: "Nothing special today..." - you must be joking! Very creative use of this marvellous lens, love your play with it's unique distortion!

Samy, I like the mirrored view a lot! What's up with the skeleton up front? I hope the sign didn't read: "A photographer after xx years of lugging fine, but heavy equipment through the country"... *
*) My back is pretty warped and my walk lopsided, at least I don't have any aches.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

georgms wrote:

Samy, I like the mirrored view a lot! What's up with the skeleton up front? I hope the sign didn't read: "A photographer after xx years of lugging fine, but heavy equipment through the country"... *
*) My back is pretty warped and my walk lopsided, at least I don't have any aches.

zippy_monster
Total Posts: 158

the solitaire wrote:
Funny thing. I have been thinking of that 28mm f2.8 AIs lens all day today, as well as thinking of the 24 f2.4 AIs used in the photos Mark posted earlier.

Having only used the 28/2.8, I'd guess that the newer zoom will give you better corner sharpness and microcontrast. What the 28 gives you is unbelievably low amount of distortion in a tiny package. On mine the corners and distance stuff are fairly soft. There's also a fair amount of color fringing (easily correctable in post tho).

Here's the 28/2.8 AiS. The image was cropped and rotated. No distortion correction applied.

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 4110

Wow I forgot how fast this thread goes! Thanks everyone for the comments on my goofy portrait with Brandon.

I am loving the last couple of pages of images I just went through. You guys and gals are masters with these things! Now I remember why I like hanging out here!

Matt

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

georgms wrote:
Another picture with swing applied, shot this one this evening:

--00 von georgsfoto auf Flickr
"--00" D700 and PC-E 45/2.8D wide open, swing along the outlines of the "Eyes" of this telescope

Love the blue tones Georg.

mp356

MDoc9523 wrote:
I used the 50mm 1.4 for several shots during our trip to the Smoky's This a lens that I found in a yard sale a while back for $25.00. It was the K version and no conversion kits were available, so I had my good friend trim it for me. I had forgotten exactly how good this lens was until I came across these photos that I had overlooked before. I will use this lens on the D600 for sure!

Very nice Ray. Great colors and detail. $25!!!!

rd4tile
Total Posts: 2243

rafaelcasd wrote:
rd4tile wrote:
Can someone give me their overall impression of the 50 300 F4.5 zoom?

The ED is the best choice for event photograpy on a tripod or monopod, or to travel by car and take well framed pictures at scenic stops; it is sharp and contrasty at all apertures and works well on the D800, It works well with converters on a monopod and a sunny day closed to f/8, I have never used the non ED ones. With scope converters you only use the center portion of the image and a 100-300 5.6 or the non ED 50-300 mm may be good enough for a lot less money. the ED is excellent on the short end and outstanding at the 300mm setting, it also maitains focus as you zoom. The focus and zoom rings are very smooth, the whole front rotates as you focus, but zooming is internal.

Personally I love using it for the right occassions and have no problem focusing this lens on the D800 at full aperture, even on slow moving targets. I will be using it this 4th of July at the Fair to photograph a dance group and for fireworks on San Diego Bay.

Thanks for posting those images, they look great! And for the info on the 50-300. In doing my homework I found that most agree with you that the ED version is the one to have. The price difference between the original and the ED model bears that out as well. I'm going to look around for a nice one.

In the meantime I bought a relatively cheap 75-300 f4.5-5.6 which has a collar that I'm going to try. It's sized better for spotting scope use and I won't care if it gets beat up. Since it's a metal body also it sounds like it will take some abuse.

Rich

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2489

kwoodard wrote:
georgms wrote:
Kevin, I hope you can help the lady. Old Nikon and Leica/Leitz stuff - maybe even Nikkor lenses in M39/Leica thread mount, must be pretty exiting to explore the collection (I've had the hots for a 35/1.8 W-Nikkor C some years ago).

Will definitely keep everyone in the loop. Hope to photograph the entire collection too...

Good man!

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 4110

rafaelcasd wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
georgms wrote:
Kevin, I hope you can help the lady. Old Nikon and Leica/Leitz stuff - maybe even Nikkor lenses in M39/Leica thread mount, must be pretty exiting to explore the collection (I've had the hots for a 35/1.8 W-Nikkor C some years ago).

Will definitely keep everyone in the loop. Hope to photograph the entire collection too...

Good man!

I agree I'm not in a position to buy, in fact I'm going to try and sell a couple, but I love a good collection!

In the meantime is anyone looking for a 105MM F1.8? or the venerable 75-150 Series E?

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2489

georgms wrote:
the solitaire wrote:

I asked a question about the 18mm f3.5 Nikkor earlier, but based on the comments I�m sure I won�t like it much.

I have to admit, I�m very picky when it comes to sharpness, contrast and vignetting in the lenses I use and/or buy. That and mechanical quality.

I have been thinking lately of buying a small lens with an angle of view wider then the 50mm f2 AI I already own.

Both the 24mm angle of view and the 28mm angle of view would be wide enough for my intended use.

I have no experience with either of these lenses and unfortunately none of the two are available for a test drive anywhere near me. Between the two, which has the lower distortion and vignetting. Which has the better overall sharpness and contrast?

I know both lenses are often referred to as awesome. In my case they have to measure up to the 14-24 zoom in terms of image quality. I want to take the lens when I leave the 14-24 at home because of weight and size.

Any advise or shared experience with either of the lenses is greatly appreciated

Buddy, I've never used the 28/2.8 Ais, but did quite a bit of shooting with the 24/2.8. In my experience the neat 24/2.8 is quite sharp and at least stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 you won't see much difference to the mighty 14-24/2.8 in terms of sharpness.
The fat 14-24 is more contrasty wide open, shows less distortion at 24mm and much less vignetting too.
That said, the 24/2.8 Ais is still a good lens. I like it's compact size and ability to take filters (I use an "over-built" Polarizer and sometimes Cokin-P gradual-ND-filters in the slim Cokin-P-holder). The 24/2.8 Ais is a bit more prone to flare compared to the 14-24. The vignetting of the 24/2.8 is very even and can be used creatively (some lenses have a rather harsh vignetting, the 50/1.2 comes to my mind).
Another lens that might interest you is the 28/2 (Ai/Ai'd or Ais). I like it a lot. It handles flare and ghosting better than the 24/2.8, is pretty sharp and contrasty and was my go-to-lens for a good while.
All these lenses are widely used here (among the MF-Nikon-community), hopefully other users will chime in and share their opinions.
Mit Gruss von der Ostsee, Georg aus Rostock.

To add, the 28mm 2.8 ais is essentially the same performance as the 2.0, only very slightly better, particularly in the far corners.

mp356

Nothing special but a few taken at the Cass Scenic Railroad. Thanks for looking.
Scott

jhinkey

One more from this afternoon . . .

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Love that shot John! Looks like a great place to be hanging out. And the 45 definitely is up to the task. Well done.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I'm up to my eyebrows in helping Sue prepare for her move. The movers arrive next Tuesday but Sue hopes to be out either Friday or Saturday night. She is heading to Mill Valley to stay with friends. More will be revealed on that front.

I promised a few more photos taken with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd during our Sunday adventure in West Marin, Point Reyes Station to be exact. I'm enjoying the marvelous bokeh play possible at f/1.2. For your viewing pleasure...

To continue the chess theme that Peter created after my initial shot of the Staunton set I gave away recently.

Believe it or not but this bowl is made of thinly sliced carrots. In fact, this artist uses just about every vegetable imaginable to make bowls. There was a companion piece made with bok choy.

Very whimsical birds at a wonderful little shop.

jhinkey

CGrindahl wrote:
Love that shot John! Looks like a great place to be hanging out. And the 45 definitely is up to the task. Well done.

Thanks Curtis - it means a lot coming from the Master - I've found that I can pretty accurately focus the 45/2.8P just by looking at the viewfinder - this is the only lens I can do this with.

It was a tough day for pictures as we just went to a nearby reservoir and it was HOT in the sun, but a cloud or two went in front of the sun thus allowing for some times with not so harsh lighting and this was one of them.

Tomorrow we go to the town just outside Mt. Rushmore and I should have a lot of images from this.

Have not had time to keep up with everyone lately, but the quick look of images surely shows the level of greatness is being well maintained!

1       2       3              2858      
       2860              5891       5892       end