Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2852

1       2       3              2852      
       2854              4436       4437       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13636

Lovely memories Rafael. When I'm looking at cars I'm always observing who lingers at particular models, ever mindful of the fact that certain cars are associated with our youth... perhaps cars we owned or cars we dreamed of owning but couldn't afford. Like most youths I spent WAY too much money one cars. I'm amazed my father was willing to co-sign when I bought my second car, a two year old 1960 Pontiac Bonneville convertible that cost $3,000. I was making $329 a month at the time. And what I got for my effort was an unending series of raspberries from kids who told me I was driving "daddy's" car... I had it for only two years because a friend bought a beautiful 1956 Corvette and another friend returned from Las Vegas with a slightly less beautiful Corvette from the same year that he didn't like. Needless to say I bought it and my Corvette adventure began.

There is little doubt that my decision to buy a 1999 Acura coupe twelve years ago came in large measure from my appreciation of its design. Before that I owned two Toyota Celica GTS hatchbacks. I still love cars.

Somebody's vision of a 1937 Ford Coupe.

Reworking of a Deuce coupe with a 1960 Chevrolet convertible very much in the style and size of my Bonneville. They feel a bit like an aircraft carrier when one is driving down the street...

CGrindahl

Here is another 1960 Chevrolet, this one a two door hardtop. These were all shot with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd, a very sweet little lens.

And something completely different... a 1950 Mercury in original condition, though totally restored.

I spoke with the owner. His father owned the Mercury dealership and when this car was traded in in 1960, having been driven for ten years by the well known "little old lady who only drove the car to church." And it was true in that case. His father bought the car for $125 and gave it to his son who has owned it ever since. He turned to a sportier car at some later date and put this car into storage. It wasn't until five years ago that he committed himself to its restoration. The first time he showed it was in San Rafael and he won best in show. The car is immaculate. He will compete with it in Palm Springs where cars that are in original condition can compete. He noted the chrome extension on the exhaust pipe and said that would have to be removed because it was not available when the car was originally sold. This is what these folks are into.

I would observe, however, that living in an upscale community like this, it often happens that folks with big bucks buy these cars already restored and show them with a pride that at least to me rings a little hollow. I love the owners who've through sweat, tears and a stretched budget created these beauties. Of course, I don't blame them for wanting to get some of their money back on resale. I guess the world works just exactly the way it does...

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2590

Great jobb on those shot on the last pages
Nice shot Philippe
Great shot Georg! like the picture on the chairs
John..like both shot ! Wonderful house and cute daughter
Great shot Philipj
Curtis: Nice shot on the cars
Nice shot Leighton
Great bird shot Chuong

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2590

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

saph
Total Posts: 2501

A few Baltimore sights. All taken with the 28 3.5 PC, using shift function. f8 or f5.6.

Jade Express

Ashburton pumping station

Church across the Ashburton pumping station

Edit: cloned out quite a noticeable dust bunny in the sky in the first and 3rd pics. I guess those sensor swabs need some work to do soon

saph

Peter (WI), terrific mountaineering shots again.

Lieutenant, mesmerizing reflections off that boat!

Georg, I am really enjoying the engine room images. Very interesting subject.

Leighton, like those two market images. Where's more

Chuong, good capture of the little bird with the 300 2.8+TC. Is the 300 new?

Philip, nice street images, quite interesting flare in the second image. Was there a light source just to the right of the frame?

John, very nice house. I guess I should stop at garage sales this year to see if anyone's got any old lenses by chance

Curtis and Rafael, enjoying the antique car pics.

Samy

saph

And one more of the Ashburton pumping station with the 28 3.5 PC. Looked it up and the building is from the 1930s. Would be a lot more plain if it was built more recently, I think.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6232

saph wrote:

John, very nice house. I guess I should stop at garage sales this year to see if anyone's got any old lenses by chance

Samy

Samy -

I've heard stories of great Nikkor finds at yard and estate sales, but I've never seen any Nikkors at yard sales in my neck of the woods!

- John

ufdlim
Total Posts: 34

I hope someone can help me. I have a D600 and currently looking for a MF prime for outdoor portraits and occasionally waist up. Looking for great bokeh and DOF close to wide open

Currently looking at
105 F1.8
105 F2.5
135 F2
135 F2.8

There are obviously several fold differences in price between the faster and slower counter parts of the 105 and 135. Seeing as there's so much experience in this thread with MF Nikon gear, I'm hoping someone can help me compare the 105mm F1.8 vs. F2.5 and 135mm F2 vs. F2.8.

I really like wide open bokeh to be circular and it would seem the 9 blade diaphragms of the F1.8 and F2 would really cater to that. Not entirely sure of sharpness of these lens wide open, however.

For funsies, how about the 180 F2.8 ED AIS?

CGrindahl

Yes and Ray keeps telling us about the deal he finds at yard sales. We should be so lucky John... though I'm really not missing much from my kit at the moment. I doubt I'd find a NOCT lying around in someone's garage, or a 200 f/2. I think my shopping days have come to an end...

Lovely work with the PC lens Samy. I've always gotten the sense that using this lens can be quite challenging. How do you find it?

philipj
Total Posts: 851

The 105mm f/1.8 AI-s is a favourite of mine, I find the way it balances on the larger FX bodies great, and I have no complaints about sharpness wide open, though I also don't print large. Here are a sample of portraits with the 1.8, all wide open except for the last one, at f/2.8.

Margot by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Rocio by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Alley Sue by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Smoking by philipjohnson, on Flickr

You will find that there are chromatic aberrations with this lens, LoCA being present with sunny, backlit situations. I used to own the 105mm f/2.5 AI-s and found it to be an excellent performer too, and if you would prefer the lower cost and smaller size I wouldn't hestitate to recommend it either. At f/2.5 it is already a great performer, with less issue with chromatic abberations. You really can't go wrong with either 105mm lens, and if you are content with the slower aperture the f/2.5 would likely fit all your needs.

For the 135mms, John H, Curtis, and a few others have a lot of experience, so hopefully they will chime in.

CGrindahl

Here are two photos taken of a friend who needs a photo for the jacket of a book she will have published later this year. The first was shoot a couple of months ago with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s, the second shot yesterday with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd that cost three hundred dollars less than the faster lens. We're not there yet...

And here is a shot taken with the f/1.8 of another friend whose book is coming out this year as well. I'm honored to do this kind of work for a friend. This is the image that will be used on the book jacket.

I love all four of the lenses you list though the faster lenses always intrigue me. But generally for portraits you're stopping down. I tend to shoot at f/2.8 or even f/4 if I'm closer to the subject. Considering how affordable the 105 f/2.5 is in its different iterations, it wouldn't cost you very much to give it a try. It is surely among the best lenses Nikon has made. You simply can't go wrong with any version. The P has a different optical design but I love it every bit as much as the newer versions. Just make certain that the lens you buy will fit on your camera because older pre-AI versions won't until they've been converted.

The four 105mm lenses in my kit... I guess I love that focal length.

ufdlim
Total Posts: 34

Excellent shots with the 105 F1.8 and F2.5! Good to know about CA on the 1.8 vs 2.5, philipj.

Thanks for the help thus far. Currently looking back several pages to see if I can find examples of each. I'm new here, so please let me know if there is a thread search function rather than just a forum search.

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3047

boats from Cassis and the Calanques :

leighton w
Total Posts: 9786

Great work everyone and thanks for the comments.

Our internet has been down for most of the last three days and I'm not sure how long it'll stay up now. Thus the reason for so few pages since my last post.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9786

Just a few more from the market.

80-200/4.5 AI by Leighton W, on Flickr

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1551

Today the Amgen California tour left for Palomar mountan from Escondido, I suppose they are coming back in a few hours, it is 93F, this seems almost super-human to me. Ride around 80+ miles up to 2500 meters elevation in 90+ heat.

Did not know what to expect, took the 35-200mm, another unloved lens, with the D800. This lens is a competent cheap sunny day walk around lens, although it is easity damaged/misaligned, got to test it before buying, it used to be $800 new in the 80s. The spaces were much tighter than I thought. The 25-50, a 20, or a fisheye, would have been better choices. Good thing I do this for fun, not money, I would be starving.

nikon nikkor 35-200mm ais D800 Amgen tour California Escondido by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 35-200mm ais D800 Amgen tour California Escondido 146 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 35-200mm ais D800 Amgen tour California Escondido 146 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 35-200mm ais D800 Amgen tour California Escondido 146 Rider list by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 35-200mm ais D800 Amgen tour California Escondido Zipp by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 35-200mm ais D800 Amgen tour California Escondido Fornt Row by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 35-200mm ais D800 Amgen tour California Escondido Mid Row by Rafael CA, on Flickr

pburke
Total Posts: 2155

great shots from the bike race - without Monty, we need more bike shots!

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

love those engine room panos Georg

ben

nikki pano - nikon 85mm f1.8HC by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Centrepoint Tower - nikon 85mm f1.8HC by benmorgan28, on Flickr

mp356
Total Posts: 4449

bruni wrote:

Centrepoint Tower - nikon 85mm f1.8HC by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Ben, love the perspective of this one. Well seen!

1       2       3              2852      
       2854              4436       4437       end