/forum/topic/929565/2848

1       2       3              2848      
       2850              5888       5889       end

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

saph wrote:
A couple more with the 13.5cm 3.5Q, these are all without any extension tubes

Some tiny flower bokeh, this one is wide open at f/3.5:

Samy, thank you for the comment. I really like the background you captured on this one.

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Ray (FL), very nice pics from Charleston and I really liked the backlit fountain with the sunbeam zapping the potted plant.

Peter (Madison), that's quite a chess board and well taken image too!

Randy from Michigan, beautiful acquisition, look forward to seeing more output from that 300 4.5K.

Kevin, its really cool you are trying to come up with solutions that will keep your photography passion going. Hope the harness works out better. Its so important to do things you enjoy. Sometimes it may just take a break and rest to let healing take its course. Of course as Curtis said always listen to your body.

Rafael, the 15 3.5 image with the golden clouds was superb.

Georg, Mark, Scott, thanks for the comments on the mini-set from Reading.

sbarricklow
Total Posts: 2132

North Texas Sunflowers - shot with a 50 mm f1.2

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Wonderful shot Sam... very reminiscent of a photo posted by our other friend from Texas, Alan, who posts as Huddy. Of course that was a long time ago, so this is more than welcome. Excellent work on every level, but how can you miss with that camera and that lens?

CGrindahl

Samy, love the work you're doing with the 135. I agree with Scott that the bokeh is delicious. I love the form of the lens you're using. It has the scalloped focusing ring. Sadly, no conversion kit was available for that lens.

Lovely set. I really appreciate the closeup of the bug... the last in that set. If it weren't so unbearably hot in the Bay area at the moment, you'd be inspiring me to take the 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd i recently bought. But frankly, it is better to stay inside when the temperature approaches 100 as it did today and will continue to do for the next four or five days...

CGrindahl

Georg, I love both of those recent photos. You have a keen eye for possibilities as well as the skill a craftsman would have developed over time to capture a memorable image. Delightful.

CGrindahl

I grabbed this photo as i waited for my car's oil change. I guess this was lunch hour for this employee.

And across the street they were washing cars...

Both photos taken with the 200 f/4 Q.C. AI'd and converted in Silver Efex Pro 2. I'm experimenting with film types, inspired by Georg.

CGrindahl

And a flower shot so folks will remember who I am... This taken with the 300 f/4.5 H AI'd. Very little done to the image in post. This is a very fine lens. And yes, Jose, I'll eventually compare it to the later version.

zippy_monster
Total Posts: 158

pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

Btw, I've just tried my old 28/2Ai on the D7000 and was surprised by the almost bitingly sharp images it delivered on DX, so please take the words above with a grain of salt.

this must be a lens by lens thing - my 24mm/f2.8 was essentially useless on the D7000, same the 50mm/f1.8 which just wasn't sharp, all across the image. On the D600, both lenses are much sharper. I read something about the "angle of the light" in another thread, which discusses how FX lenses are designed differently from DX due to the way the sensors respond to light at various angles. Seems like there's a lot going on and not all FX lenses work well on DX sensors, even if you just grab the sweet spot in the middle.

I've never heard that. Film vs digital, yes. FX vs DX, not so much. I wonder if maybe the D7000 is out of whack somehow. If you're using the AF confirm dot to focus, is the AF module towards the end of its acceptable adjustment range? If just you're using the viewfinder, is there any chance the diopter was/is off? Is the AA filter on the D7000 stronger than the one on the D600 (would the lens work better on a D7100 w/ no AA filter)?

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4681

Well, I just uploaded a bunch of pics to my Flickr account from my recent vacation. Here are a couple of samples...

Nikkor 80-200/4.5 and PK13

_DSC8705 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Trying to channel Ronny for this one (same lens combo as above)

_DSC8689 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC8651 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC8676 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

pburke
Total Posts: 3006

zippy_monster wrote:
pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

Btw, I've just tried my old 28/2Ai on the D7000 and was surprised by the almost bitingly sharp images it delivered on DX, so please take the words above with a grain of salt.

this must be a lens by lens thing - my 24mm/f2.8 was essentially useless on the D7000, same the 50mm/f1.8 which just wasn't sharp, all across the image. On the D600, both lenses are much sharper. I read something about the "angle of the light" in another thread, which discusses how FX lenses are designed differently from DX due to the way the sensors respond to light at various angles. Seems like there's a lot going on and not all FX lenses work well on DX sensors, even if you just grab the sweet spot in the middle.

I've never heard that. Film vs digital, yes. FX vs DX, not so much. I wonder if maybe the D7000 is out of whack somehow. If you're using the AF confirm dot to focus, is the AF module towards the end of its acceptable adjustment range? If just you're using the viewfinder, is there any chance the diopter was/is off? Is the AA filter on the D7000 stronger than the one on the D600 (would the lens work better on a D7100 w/ no AA filter)?

D7000 was fine with other lenses, and a D90 had the same issues. Don't own anything DX anymore, so hard to go back and test anything now. I have a few shots with the 50mm somwhere on a disk, next to tack sharp kit lens 18-55mm of the same scnene, tripod and everythign as close as possible, because I really wanted to know if it was worth using the old lenses. It seemed that the wider the glass was the worse they performed. The 85mm Rokinon was tack sharp on the D7000 and I've posted many airplane shots here taken with the 300mm f4.5 on the same body.

kwoodard

And here are a few with the Nikkor-S 35/2.8 Non-AI

My brother-in-law is a sculptor and a painter. These busts are about 3 inches tall. They are the start of a wedding cake topper...

_DSC8547 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

His daughter is my little photo buddy. She has talent in spades (she took that San Fran pic I posted a few months back). This is one of her favorite toys. The lighting here is how it was in camera, did a little cropping and a few other tweaks.

_DSC8553 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Visited the Capital building in Sacramento, detail on one of their lamps...

_DSC8766 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

On the grounds of the Capital, loved the light that hit this tree.

_DSC8756 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Nice work Kevin I love them all!!!

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

georgms wrote:
A quick shot under ugly conditions, will try to get something more out of this old squeeze-box this weekend:

poor little thing I von georgsfoto auf Flickr
it's probably a missing "b": D3s at ISO 6400, 1/50sec., handheld, PC-E 45/2.8D wide open, effective aperture as displayed f/3.8

Very nice, Georg !!

kwoodard

MDoc9523 wrote:
Nice work Kevin I love them all!!!

Thanks! The other half are on Flickr.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Best of the lot is this one

CGrindahl

I love that one too Ray... the faithful 80-200 f/4.5 AI with an extension tube. Honestly, nothing could be finer for this kind of work. I love how you compose the image Kevin. Fine work.

franche63
Total Posts: 22

105mm f2.5 + D300 + PN11.

zippy_monster
Total Posts: 158

Nice ladybug!

the solitaire
Total Posts: 2116

Ai 50mm f2 on a D300 shot at f2
Shutter speed 1/30
No flash used

1       2       3              2848