Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2848

1       2       3              2848      
       2850              4228       4229       end

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2608

In the making of a 50/2 H. vs. 50/2 H.C test I had the opportunity to capture a huge pano of my favourite "infinity test chart".
Excuse the huge pano, but the original was 16000px long, this is "just" 5100px long.
After heavy winds the sky was reasonably clean of pollution.
This is a 6- horizontal shots pano taken with the looser of the test - the H not multicoated:

Nikkor-H 50mm f/2 F ai'd test: 6 horizontal shots pano by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor-H 50mm f/2 F ai'd , ISO 200, f/5.6 at 1/2500s.
The HC version is even better, slightly contrastier and with better light transmission af f/2 to f/4 apertures.
My scalloped kit is virtually complete now

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2401

Great pano shot Jose

Ronny _Olsson

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2977

incredible, Ronny. You must be quite a patient guy (unlike me )

leighton w
Total Posts: 9273

Lieutenant Z wrote:
incredible, Ronny. You must be quite a patient guy (unlike me )

+1

leighton w

Jose, very clear and crisp looking.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2608

Thanks Ronny and Leighton.

Ronny, you are the man!!! What jaw dropping bee in flight!!

pburke
Total Posts: 2034

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
[/url]

wow - you either have one of those fancy raspberry pi powered camera triggers, or those bees really like the flower you set up on! Great focus and colors, too.

raboof
Total Posts: 1478

Nice set Ronny.
Peter - I have a raspberry pi and would love to explore this camera trigger option

pburke
Total Posts: 2034

I don't have one myself, but was looking into it. Here is a good starting point for motion detection

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/motion-detection

and this blog in more detail, but for Canon

http://musingsofadrian.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/raspberry-pi-controlled-canon-dslr.html

rd4tile
Total Posts: 2218

Guys:

I'm looking at getting a 28mm MF. I've kind of narrowed it down to the f2.8 CRC AI-s or the f2 AI-s. I will be using it mostly stopped down. Any major difference in IQ/character that would push you one way or the other between the 2? I notice the f2 seems to sell for a little more overall.

thanks

Rich

raboof
Total Posts: 1478

The f2.8 gives you closer focus distance. The f2.0 gets you an extra stop and a bit bigger. Can't go wrong with either one if you are stopped down so maybe getting a lighter one, the f2.8

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13079

Congratulations Jose! Remarkable to realize that the search for pre-AI lenses began long after this thread came into being, prompted by Ben's arrival with his 55 f/1.2 S.C. that a technician in a local camera shop modified. Since then I've added 10 pre-AI lenses to my kit. You've followed a similar path with five lenses that have the classic knurled focusing ring. You also added three pre-AI K lenses that have a design similar to later MF lenses. Of course, you took the more daring path by doing conversions yourself. And from photos you took of the process, you clearly did a beautiful job with these conversions.

Nikon has created a remarkable array of very capable lenses we continue to celebrate on this thread. My guess is we'll do so for a very long time. Glad you're part of the journey Jose.

CGrindahl

Ronny _Olsson wrote:

Fantastic shots Ronny! I could as easily have re-posted them all but I'll restrain myself. Knowing how thin the focal plane becomes when shooting with extension tubes, I'm even more impressed with this series of captures. Clearly you were on a tripod with aperture stopped way down, likely with remote release. Regardless, your technique was impeccable... the results sublime.

CGrindahl

rd4tile wrote:
Guys:

I'm looking at getting a 28mm MF. I've kind of narrowed it down to the f2.8 CRC AI-s or the f2 AI-s. I will be using it mostly stopped down. Any major difference in IQ/character that would push you one way or the other between the 2? I notice the f2 seems to sell for a little more overall.

thanks

Rich

raboof wrote:
The f2.8 gives you closer focus distance. The f2.0 gets you an extra stop and a bit bigger. Can't go wrong with either one if you are stopped down so maybe getting a lighter one, the f2.8

What Chuong said. Both lenses have Close Range Correction but minimum focusing distance is a bit shorter with the f/2.8 lens. Some folks knock the f/2.8 at infinity and if you're concerned about corner to corner sharpness stopped down you may want to explore this matter a bit more fully. But I'm inclined to believe if there is a problem it is discovered through pixel peeping rather than viewing a print or full size image displayed on a computer.

I used the 28 f/2.8 AI-s extensively on a trip to the Netherlands a few years ago and was very happy with the results. I used the 28 f/2 AI-s on a trip last year to Turkey and was equally happy. I don't believe you could go wrong with either. I'd likely save a few dollars and buy the f/2.8. Here's a link to a very nice looking copy of that lens offered on the Buy and Sell board for a fair price.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1211513/0?keyword=Nikon,28#11541394

Good luck Rich and share some photos with us once the lens arrives.

CGrindahl

Amazing... it is possible to take photos of flowers with wide lenses as well... Here are three photos taken with the 35 f/1.4 AI-s yesterday. I've driven by this home many times and stopped on a few occasions to take photos of the roses. Yesterday the home owner was watering when I stopped by. He was most appreciative of my compliments.

Because of the bright morning light I had to stop down a bit... summer is on its way. But CRC works every time, stopped down or not.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5077

Nice work on the pano Jose and congrats on finishing your collection!
Ronny nice capture on the bees, very sharp!
Curtis lovely flowers and yes the 35mm 1.4 is great for flowers and everything else. 35mm on D600 is like the 24mm was on my D7000. So to me it's W I D E

Ronny _Olsson

Thanks guys
No, have not used tripod and remote ...they are taken handheld
I think used the tripod up to 5 times since I started taking pictures in 2010
when I got my first Dslr Nikon D80
my interest in photography started quite late .. I'am 42 year old

and you may laugh but a remote I don't own one I buy lot of lenses.. but not a remote for a few dollars.. Haha
'll get one

Great flowers Curtis

leighton w

Ronny - Great macros! I love all the pollen on the bees.

Curtis - Love the last flower shot. I haven't seen the 35 mounted on your camera in quite a while.

Ronny _Olsson

Thanks Leighton

Bee and few with 180mm + Extension Tube 36mm

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

1       2       3              2848      
       2850              4228       4229       end