1       2       3              2846      
       2848              5889       5890       end

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

rafaelcasd wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
pburke wrote:
the solitaire wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the Ai 18mm Nikkor lenses? I really like the focal length and wonder if those work well on digital.

It has a tendency to heavy vignetting - on film and digital. Needs to be stopped down a lot to get decent corner illumination. Apart from that a decent lens, but I find it overpriced for the performance it delivers.

+1 My experience exactly FWIW.

+2 My experience too.

Ray, just great 16mm photos.

The day ended well, I am falling in love with the 15mm.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 at f8 d800 sun set by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Stunning shot, loving this series of shots with the 15mm. thanks for sharing

MarkdV

Great photos again this week everyone! Always going to miss a couple but:

Ray - lovely shots from Charleston

Kevin, sorry to hear your neck / back issues but like the peeking state capitol building. Hope you find a good solution that let's you keep shooting.

Peter - nice mood on the chess set.

Samy, great shot of the WWII plane / propellor, great sence of power there.

Leighton, nice tulip shot with the 28-50mm.

Luc, a great shot of the Rolleicord

Ronny, ongoing stunning flowers.

Andy, nice work with the 20mm on the clemintis(?)

Chuong, as usual a brilliant capture of your daughter. you have a great nack of capturing the mood and the moment.

MarkdV

Oh, and Laura thanks for sharing your film work and also the music video. Toe tapping stuff, although I got distracted by some funky bokeh behind Frank Dixon (the sax playing dude).

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Ray, I've been loving your series from Charleston both for your camera work and for your first rate processing. These images are universally gorgeous. I love the colors as you present them. And, as so many folks have noted, the 16 f/3.5 AI'd does magical things on a DX camera. You've given us all an important lesson in that regard. That makes the lens no less rare but that it offers such stellar wide angle performance for a camera with a cropped sensor is a delight. You have quite an arsenal my friend.

CGrindahl

Rafael, when you first encountered this thread you'd show up infrequently but you would from time to time share photos of your amazing lens collection. I had the sense that were you to become fully engaged on this thread that we were in for a treat. You have, and I couldn't be happier. The collection of images from different lenses you post above is fantastic. I have a deepening respect for your understanding of these lenses and for your passion for them. Needless to say, it was my enthusiasm for these lenses that motivated me to start this thread, but it has been the commitment of you and others on this thread that continue to inspire me and that no doubt contributes to the vitality of this thread.

If I ever get down to San Diego you'll be hearing from me. I want to go to that El Salvadoran restaurant and to shoot old cars on Friday night. But most of all I want to get my hands on your awesome collection of lenses and talk photography with you...

CGrindahl

I'm loving your photography adventure Laura. I doubt I'll ever wish to shoot film or to spend time in the dark room processing it, but your efforts are truly inspiring. I know many folks on this thread still shoot with film but I'll stick with exploring digital treatment of black and white images that emulates film types. That way I can avoid all the chemicals...

But keep sharing your photos. I'm loving them.

huddy
Total Posts: 1886

Rafael, the 15mm looks like the repair was well worth it. Very nice shots!

pburke
Total Posts: 3008

rafaelcasd wrote:
Even the doghouse looks cool

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 at f11 d800 dog house by Rafael CA, on Flickr

if that's your dog house, I want to be a dog

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

pburke wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
Even the doghouse looks cool

if that's your dog house, I want to be a dog

There are conditions:

must be housebroken, not bark at night, not howl at the ambulance, not chase coyotes, and neutered.

It really is the doghouse because that's where my ex used to send me.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

CGrindahl wrote:
Rafael, when you first encountered this thread you'd show up infrequently but you would from time to time share photos of your amazing lens collection. I had the sense that were you to become fully engaged on this thread that we were in for a treat. You have, and I couldn't be happier. The collection of images from different lenses you post above is fantastic. I have a deepening respect for your understanding of these lenses and for your passion for them. Needless to say, it was my enthusiasm for these lenses that motivated me to start this thread, but it has been the commitment of you and others on this thread that continue to inspire me and that no doubt contributes to the vitality of this thread.

If I ever get down to San Diego you'll be hearing from me. I want to go to that El Salvadoran restaurant and to shoot old cars on Friday night. But most of all I want to get my hands on your awesome collection of lenses and talk photography with you...

Thanks everyone for the positive response to the 15mm shots and the multi lens series.

Thank you Curtis for the kind words, it would be a treat to see you in San Diego.

pburke

aerial view of the chess board - 55mm f/1.2 with TC16-a at something like f/4 and ISO 400 to get it sharp in the low light while hand holding high up on a chair. This was the only one out of 10 shots I could use. The 55mm certainly doesn't have VR

it isn't the best board to teach somebody how to play - too busy to get a good overview, but certainly interesting to look at, which is probably what attracted my daughter to learn how to play.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here's few more of the re-edits from Charleston, SC with the 16mm 3.5

Hi Ray. Another nice series from Charleston. The 16 3.5 is a very nice lens. Thank you for the comment.

mp356

rafaelcasd wrote:
The day ended well, I am falling in love with the 15mm.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 at f8 d800 sun set by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Lovely sky Rafael.

mp356

saph wrote:
While waiting for a cloudless night for a moon shot, I found a couple more images from the Reading, Pennsylvania World War II show.

World War 2 era prop engine hard at work - 300 4.5 ED AIS

Very nice Samy.

mp356

pburke wrote:
aerial view of the chess board - 55mm f/1.2 with TC16-a at something like f/4 and ISO 400 to get it sharp in the low light while hand holding high up on a chair. This was the only one out of 10 shots I could use. The 55mm certainly doesn't have VR

it isn't the best board to teach somebody how to play - too busy to get a good overview, but certainly interesting to look at, which is probably what attracted my daughter to learn how to play.

Certainly ornate Peter. I like the vantage point and shadows.

mp356

Thank you Georg and Leighton for the comments.
Scott

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Thank you all so much for your comments on the Charleston photos. Several folks have asked for a direct comparison between the 16mm 3.5 on DX vs FX. These shots are unscientific but they were both set at F16 in A mode. The first shot is with FX and second with DX using Center Weighted Average. They are SOOC

Just by way of comparison here is the first shot taken on FX using the 24mm 2.8 You can see that it is about 3 degrees less than the 16mm 3.5 So the 16mm on DX = 21mm on FX

pburke

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you all so much for your comments on the Charleston photos. Several folks have asked for a direct comparison between the 16mm 3.5 on DX vs FX. These shots are unscientific but they were both set at F16 in A mode. The first shot is with FX and second with DX using Center Weighted Average. They are SOOC

There's an illustration for at least half the reason I went from a DX body to FX. Not just how it changes this particular lens, but the performance of all my wide angle lenses. DX is handicapped at the wide end and you need (expensive) custom DX glass like the crazy 8-16mm Sigma to get something wide onto that tiny sensor. I didn't buy my 14mm Rokinon until after I got the D600, because on DX that massive lens is 'just" a 21mm, less than my comparably tiny 20mm f/3.5 Nikkor.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4210

mp356 wrote:
saph wrote:
While waiting for a cloudless night for a moon shot, I found a couple more images from the Reading, Pennsylvania World War II show.

Very nice Samy.

+1

Oosty
Total Posts: 4210

MDoc9523 wrote:

Hi Ray - thanks for doing this. I made a crude comparison of these images by copying them to PSE, cropping the FX by 1/3 and comparing the results side by side. At 400% the DX was marginally better than the FX probably because the exposure of the highlights was more accurate. What it did show though was that there is nothing to choose between the D7000 sensor and the D600 sensor in a pixel peeping exercise when the subject is the identical size.

This is what one would expect as the D600 has 50% more MP than the D7000 on the same type of sensor.

I'm sure Peter's comments on the wide end are absolutely relevant but I'd love to see the impact at the long end, say 300mm.

1       2       3              2846      
       2848              5889       5890       end