/forum/topic/929565/2839

1       2       3              2839      
       2841              4321       4322       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 9494

leighton w wrote:
Ok which one? Number 1,2 or 3?

bruni wrote:
Leighton - I'd go for a mix of 1 AND 2. The black and white takes out some interesting elements - for example the cord going under the traffic cap is green on one side and blue on the other.

Maybe you could bring the colour of the background down a little to accentuate the foreground colour without actually going all the way to B & W (the B& W plus colour draws attention to itself imho) - and try to keep the cord in colour. You could also lighten the background - or reduce contrast of the background - again that would help accentuate the foreground element that you appear to want to highlight.
ben

I like your idea of bringing the BG color down to accentuate the cords. I'll have another go at it in LR, thanks.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9494

Last one of today. One of the vendor's kids.

Vendor Kid 50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

georgms
Total Posts: 3481

Some random notes while going through the last pages:

James, your lonesome hazy road is a very fine piece of landscape-photography.

Kevin, I really like your latest sets. Many great pictures, I like especially the glass-blowing close up and the beautiful and "fresh-looking" portrait of your "black belt" (congrats!).

Rafael, many very nice pictures on the last pages! I particularly like the B&W-fisherman. The theatre-shots are interesting, if memory serves I've shot the D200 up to ISO1600 under comparable light-conditions. But I'm happy with my D3s and it's performance at sky-high ISO-settings now ;-)

Leighton, love your work with the 50/1.2! I'm especially drawn to to first set from the market: the basil-shot is beautifully done as is the asparagus.
The "Flying Fox" image would look better if/when shot with the lens opened up a bit more, but that's just my personal opinion.

Ben, fantastique work with Nikki and the 24/3.5 PC-E! Darlinghurst is awesome and the alley too.

Peter from Knysna - wow, love those cars and your captures as well! The De Soto and the Buick are my favs.
I wonder if you did the very first 3-shot panorama of a Ford Model A in the history of photography ;-) I'm just joking, very nice work, pure joy to look at.

Peter from Madison - the landscape http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2836#11531878 taken with the 300/4.5 is fantastic, love the composition. The Hoey-style image and the blackbird-shot are great too.

Philippe, beautiful portraits of your daughters! As someone who loves classic ships I've noticed the shape of the ship's stern - it must have been a rather old-fashioned, well proportioned ship. Today's (cruise-) ships are lacking pleasing lines.

Scott, I like all 3 of your farmhouse-studies! If I had to pick a fav it would be the image in portrait-orientation: exceptional light paired with a beautiful composition in a unique fashion.
I just wonder if pictures like this ("hard cut images" for the lack of better terms) would benefit from a border to stabilize the picture. But that's a rather general thought.

Jose, wow, poor man's 110/5.6 delivers! Beautiful mixture of sharpness and dreamy background.

Jeff, the dunes-shot is fantastic! Love the framing, the textures and the B&W-conversion.
The beaches here are getting crowded this time of the year, not the best time to shoot pictures of dunes ("Hey you, with the big camera, did you just take my picture?!"... ;-))

georgms

leighton w wrote:
Last one of today. One of the vendor's kids.

Vendor Kid 50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Oh wow, Leighton, what a fantastic candid! This is truly outstanding, one of your very best images!

georgms

jhinkey wrote:
georgms wrote:

John, interesting set-up for the Live-View-operation. Can you operate the D800 completely from the tablet (except for manual focusing, of course)?

You can operate the camera for everything you need to take the shot, but you can't access any of the menus (e.g., if you wanted to change the non-CPU lens info, something in the shooting bank, etc.).
But ISO, shutter speed, white balance, etc. are - pretty much anything that is an external button or on the top LCD is adjustable from the tablet. What I really like about it is the live view zoom function - just tap on any portion of the screen in live view and it will zoom in to 100% at that spot.
I have not used all it's capabilities, but so far I like it - the one major downside is that it's extra "stuff" to lug around and another cable to connect. It's also a bit slow in-between shots.

It's called Helicon Remote.

John

John, thanks for your reply! Right now I don't own a tablet-PC, not even a smart-phone, but a second, free positionable Live-View-display is something I want for quite some time and the other functions of a tablet-PC would be a nice add-on too.
Just another question: which model is your Samsung Galaxy (is 7.7 just the screen-size?). Some Samsung tablets are not available over here (an issue with Apple, I assume).

georgms

Thanks for the comments on my recently posted images - really much appreciated!
The shots taken with the 35/1.4 on the cruise-ship were nonsense, hope you all don't mind the silly post.
Here's another one from the ship, a bit more wildly framed, taken again with the fantastic 16/3.5 Ai:

D700 at ISO 3200, 16/3.5 Ai at f/5.6, 1/30sec, handheld

Most other pictures I took today were shot with the 14-24/2.8 on the D3s, I love both cameras and lenses for this kind of stuff.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Some great photos over the last couple of days
James this one is terrific! (sorry for the mix up )

Kevin nice work on the macros
Ben this one is amazing

Peter those are some very nice autos. We have a show every month here and I really enjoy looking at them. Thanks for sharing
Leighton glad to see that you are keeping the 50mm 1.2, Nice work!
Georg serious or not I love this one

Peter your photo series is very impressive and I have enjoyed them thoroughly
Ronny I agree with Jose - stunning work!
Scott this one is the best!

Jose Loving the color bokeh in your shot! well done!
Rafael your lens tests are becoming legendary. Thank you for your efforts!
Phillippe The isolation is wonderful in the photo of your daughter!
Leighton your vender kid photo is priceless and I agree one of your very best!

MDoc9523

A couple of shots using the 85mm 1.4 a sorely neglected lens in my kit! These were taken around our complex. The pond is right in front of our unit

Our little visitor

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1486

Ray the last flower has the best bokeh I have ever seen.

I can't afford one of those for now, so I am using the poor man's flower lens, a 200mm QC with a PN 11. I said I wan't going to post but it started to rain, so I am sutck home, good for the fires though. Besides we need to make 3000 pages by the week's end.

D3 200mm QC PN11

nikon nikkor 200mm QC PN11 D3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 200mm QC PN11 D3 bouganvillea by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Cactus and Bee!

nikon nikkor 200mm QC PN11 D3 cactus bee by Rafael CA, on Flickr

best as a partial crop, the real beauty is that I was five feet away from this bee.

nikon nikkor 200mm QC PN11 D3 cactus bee crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

pburke
Total Posts: 2131

georgms wrote:
John, thanks for your reply! Right now I don't own a tablet-PC, not even a smart-phone, but a second, free positionable Live-View-display is something I want for quite some time and the other functions of a tablet-PC would be a nice add-on too.
Just another question: which model is your Samsung Galaxy (is 7.7 just the screen-size?). Some Samsung tablets are not available over here (an issue with Apple, I assume).

Georg,

Helicon Remote works on any PC or Mac with USB - maybe I'll give it a try in my old laptop. I don't have a smartphone nor a tablet either, but no reason not to see what it can do. iPad isn't supported yet (wireless only), but when it arrives I can borrow one from work...

I like the focus stacking feature (ok, that's for the AF lens threads), which is what they originally designed it for, it seems. I may give the trial version a shot once I have a good idea for a stacked image again.

Peter

georgms

pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

Georg,

Helicon Remote works on any PC or Mac with USB - maybe I'll give it a try in my old laptop. I don't have a smartphone nor a tablet either, but no reason not to see what it can do. iPad isn't supported yet (wireless only), but when it arrives I can borrow one from work...

I like the focus stacking feature (ok, that's for the AF lens threads), which is what they originally designed it for, it seems. I may give the trial version a shot once I have a good idea for a stacked image again.

Peter

Peter, thanks for your quick reply! Focus stacking will not be a task number 1 for me - I just would like to have an additional display for Live-View-operation in the field (focus confirmation for critical work from a tripod, remote operation/release when the camera is on ground-level or in a tight corner). I've just read that John's Tab 7.7 is not available in the EU and I'm looking for other Android-tablets of 7 or 8 inches screen-size. I'm an Apple-user since MacOS 7.0, but would like to try the Android-stuff.
Thanks again, Georg!

georgms

Ray, the curious "visitor" and the flower-shot are captured in a truly beautiful manner!

Rafael, the same ^ goes for your flower-shots with the 200/4 QC. I like especially the bee on the cactus. Very well done

raboof
Total Posts: 1515

georgms wrote:
Ray, the curious "visitor" and the flower-shot are captured in a truly beautiful manner!

Rafael, the same ^ goes for your flower-shots with the 200/4 QC. I like especially the bee on the cactus. Very well done

+1

Great shots.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6047

pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

Georg,

Peter

Remember that the trial version will not allow saving of NEF files. When you plug it in to your camera it changes your settings from (in my case) RAW to FINE jpg and kept it there after unplugging it - this caught me off guard as I subsequently used the camera and did not notice that it was shooting FINE jpgs instead of NEF files. However I was impressed enough that I paid the $40 or so subscription just for Helicon Remote and now I can shoot NEFs.
It will also allow you to save the files to you tablet/PC, but I choose to leave them on the camera.

What it does for me is allow me to use live view to focus the lens both on a bigger screen AND without having to contort myself to see the back of the camera. I also can change the shutter speed, ISO, (and aperture for D/G lenses) as well as take the image without having to touch the camera.
The downside of using live view a lot is the sensor heating up - amp glow - which is only a concern for long duration shots.

Now if you could just hook your FX DSLR to Google Glass . . . .

John

jhinkey

leighton w wrote:
Great work everyone! I decided to take my 50mm f1.2 to the market this week because I was debating whether or not to sell it for lack of use. I've decided to keep it as it has just too much character to get rid of it.

This one is my favorite of your latest Leighton. Would look nice up on the wall!

- John

georgms

jhinkey wrote:
pburke wrote:
georgms wrote:

Georg,

Peter

Remember that the trial version will not allow saving of NEF files. When you plug it in to your camera it changes your settings from (in my case) RAW to FINE jpg and kept it there after unplugging it - this caught me off guard as I subsequently used the camera and did not notice that it was shooting FINE jpgs instead of NEF files. However I was impressed enough that I paid the $40 or so subscription just for Helicon Remote and now I can shoot NEFs.
It will also allow you to save the files to you tablet/PC, but I choose to leave them on the camera.

What it does for me is allow me to use live view to focus the lens both on a bigger screen AND without having to contort myself to see the back of the camera. I also can change the shutter speed, ISO, (and aperture for D/G lenses) as well as take the image without having to touch the camera.
The downside of using live view a lot is the sensor heating up - amp glow - which is only a concern for long duration shots.

Now if you could just hook your FX DSLR to Google Glass . . . .

John

Thank you, John! I've figured out in the meantime what Helicon Remote can do and what not, right now I'm looking for a medium sized Android-tablet with a good screen (your Tab 7.7 is indeed not available here).
I shoot a lot from crooked angles (very low point of view or out of corners) and a tablet would be a great help to operate the camera and confirm focus.
Thanks and a good start into the coming week, Georg.

MDoc9523

Thank you Georg, Chuong and Rafael. Your shots with the 200mm are amazing. I have been quite surprised both from you and Curtis at the quality. The bee is super nice!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1486

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Georg, Chuong and Rafael. Your shots with the 200mm are amazing. I have been quite surprised both from you and Curtis at the quality. The bee is super nice!

Thank you Georg, Chuong, and Ray, there is something about the image from a simple optical design that causes sufficient sharpness in the focused area and yet the image flows through the out of focus portion, the 45mm has some of the same behavior. I don't even focus mine on the PN11 , don't use the focus indicator or turn the focusing ring, just put it on a monopod and swivel back and forth to get it in focus, taking a few shots just to be sure.

jhinkey

Somebody wants one of these:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1209892

Not me though - I already have a 2000mm f/11 telescope . . .

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3006

One more macro today...

80-200/4.5 + PK13

_DSC8338 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

1       2       3              2839      
       2841              4321       4322       end