Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2835

1       2       3              2835      
       2837              5885       5886       end

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2483

CGrindahl wrote:
So you're already at it Leighton. Very sweet.

Jay, all three of the lenses you're considering are fine lenses that would give you great performance. The knock on the 55 f/2.8 AI-s is that oil can appear on the aperture blades. I've not had that problem but it is both written about and Ron on this thread tore down his copy of that lens to clean the blades. He posted a couple of photos on the process. Of course, he's a person who for years restored cars, so I think he has above average confidence in himself to tackle a project like that. You can always send a lens out for cleaning and adjusting. But I think among micro shooters there is a preference for the 55 f/3.5 AI because it doesn't appear to have a problem.

Here is a photo of my 50 f/1.2 AI-s and the first 55 f/1.2 I owned, a late model AI. There is no AI-s version of the 55.

I haven't done an informal comparison of the two lenses but the bokeh of the 55 seems to please me a bit more than the 50. I've no intention of selling the 50 however. It is a great lens. But I tend to have the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd in my camera bag, not the 50. That may be my recent enthusiasm for pre-AI lenses as much as anything else. But I've traveled with the 50 and been very happy with what it produced. It will likely be a bit more expensive than the 55 but I don't think you'd be disappointed in either lens.

They are both great lenses, at 1.2 the 55 has better image quality, not more sharpness, better aesthetics to the rendition. From 2.0 on up the 50 is sharper and more contrasty, but it is a small difference. I own three 55 1.2s and one 50.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2483

Mescalamba wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Mescalamba wrote:
Hi guys,

any advice on "basic" MF Nikkor zoom? Some good and "cheap"? I noticed 28-85 for reasonable price (somewhere around 300 USD).

I want it cause now I have Nikon F mount camera, but theres probability of using Canon EOS and MF Nikkors works on both. (like my C/Y lens)

My favorite Nikkor zoom is the 50-135mm f3.5 AI-s. You can usually pick one up from anywhere between 150 to 300 bucks. Watch out for the condition, the zoom/focus rings can get very loose.

Check-out my flickr set for this lens. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEWXxSY

Very nice pics. I noticed this lens some time ago, tho I think someone was faster then me and grabbed it. I should say that I have APS-C so 50mm as start is tiny bit long. Something starting at 28 or 35 would be better probably..

Tokina AT-X 35-70/2,8 found this one.. worth something? I know its not Nikon.

Coul not comment, I have never used anything but Nikon lenses.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8401

Kry27 wrote:
... in the Aletsch region:

Nikon D3 - Nikon 16mm 1:3.5 fish eye lens
16mm, 1:16, 1/250, ISO 200, A, Matrix -1/2

Nikon D3 - Nikon 16mm 1:3.5 fish eye lens
16mm, 1:16, 1/350, ISO 200, A, Matrix -1/2

And a violated B&W conversion:

Nikon D3 - Nikon 35mm 1:2.0 MF lens
35mm, 1:16, 1/350, ISO 200, A, Matrix -1/2

Fantastic Roland - great to see some 16/3.5 images up in the mountains!

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3731

CGrindahl wrote:
You won't get much information about lenses other than Nikon MF lenses celebrated on this thread.

If you're looking for a wider zoom there are a number of contenders. My favorite is the 25-50 f/4 AI-s. Obviously not a fast lens but it is sharp wide open and producers wonderful color and contrast. Here's a photo taken with the lens on the Bay in Sausalito.

I'd direct you to Bjorn Rorslett's comments about Nikon zoom lenses. He speaks about AF as well as MF but his comments have proved useful to many on this thread.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_00.html

He gives good grades to a slightly faster lens, the 28-50 f/3.5 AI-s, which is used by a couple of folks on this thread, including Leighton if I'm not mistaken. I've also shot with the 35-70 f/3.5 AI-s and was quite pleased with it. I prefer to color of the AI-s over the AI lens of the same range and aperture.

Happy shopping!

PS - I just noticed a 25-50 f/4 AI for sale on E-Bay from a seller in Hungary... That might work for you. Here is a link.

Nikon 25-50 f/4 AI

Good tip, thank you.

adh67
Total Posts: 561

The last two days my DSL line was out of order, today att&t finally fixed it so I am playing catch up. Here are a few more from the Cape Cod trip, and one from our front yard on Sunday morning

Bert

digitalthump
Total Posts: 208

I'm parting with most of my MF gear. Thought I would post a link here before listing on the buy/sell. ( For those that may be looking to pick up a new lens. ) Also have a few PK-13 and PK-11 extension tubes. PM if you would like additional information.

https://picasaweb.google.com/digitalthump/FredMiranda?authkey=Gv1sRgCMnOxriYkcGavAE#5893242681199339874

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4676

digitalthump wrote:
I'm parting with most of my MF gear. Thought I would post a link here before listing on the buy/sell. ( For those that may be looking to pick up a new lens. ) Also have a few PK-13 and PK-11 extension tubes. PM if you would like additional information.

https://picasaweb.google.com/digitalthump/FredMiranda?authkey=Gv1sRgCMnOxriYkcGavAE#5893242681199339874

Quite a collection. Why are you selling? I may be interested in a PK11.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I offered to give a chess set that has been sitting in my closet for over twenty years to the son of a good friend. I took a few photos to give them an idea of what I was offering. It is actually a very beautiful set... This was shot with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4676

CGrindahl wrote:
I offered to give a chess set that has been sitting in my closet for over twenty years to the son of a good friend. I took a few photos to give them an idea of what I was offering. It is actually a very beautiful set... This was shot with the 50 f/1.2 AI-s.

That is a beautiful set. I have a few sets, trying to find a large board to accommodate the pieces my father carved when he was a teenager.

CGrindahl

I'm impressed Kevin. These, of course, are the classic Staunton pieces which are beautifully turned and carved. Carving individual pieces seems like a very challenging task. The board is a bit less than 20 inches square. It comes from the Philippines. I don't recall the origin of the chess pieces, but they are definitely a joy to hold and use. The king is about four and a half inches high. I'm just happy that they will be passed along to a young person who will get years of pleasure from using the sent.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3758

It's a beautiful set ... but I'm sure they have an app for that!

Any chance you could get a close-up with tubes? Looks really smooth, wonderful craftsmanship

CGrindahl

It is long gone Chin. I'm having a bit of remorse over giving the set away but since I haven't used it in over twenty years odds are the young man to whom I gave it will put it to better use... as least I hope so.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3758

Dogs. Playful fun when awake. Photo opportunities when asleep.

50 1.2 AIS at f/2.8

keep it behind the line by Zichar, on Flickr

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Mustang - The Rebel, at the World War 2 show in Reading, Pennsylvania, earlier in June.

10.5cm 2.5 lens, f/8

Kry27
Total Posts: 172

Thank you all for the comments about the fish eye glacier pictures.

Leigthon:
leighton w wrote:
Roland, I like the set with the glaciers. Have you ever seen Chasing the Ice, with photographer James Balog?

No. Not... yet

saph
Total Posts: 3699

One more for the morning - "Fifi" takes off at the Reading WW2 show on June 8th.

300 ED AIS 4.5, at f/5.6 and shutter speed kept at 1/400 to try and preserve Fifi's prop blur.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9301

The 25-50 f/4 AI-s and 50-135 AI-s make for a nice pairing. Definitely find a copy that has a nice tight zoom ring. I finally found a copy that doesn't have the sloppy ring, so now I've got two 50-135's....

Mescalamba wrote:
Hi guys,

any advice on "basic" MF Nikkor zoom? Some good and "cheap"? I noticed 28-85 for reasonable price (somewhere around 300 USD).

I want it cause now I have Nikon F mount camera, but theres probability of using Canon EOS and MF Nikkors works on both. (like my C/Y lens)

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9301

Samy, the only thing I'd do is level out the building in the background, gives the feeling of the plane rolling downhill otherwise I went up in a Huey on Sunday, last ride of the day, and Fifi was still on the ground and I thought I'd get an opportunity to get a shot of her from the air. While waiting to board, the engines started up and off she went for the last passenger flight of the day. I only took one camera and lens with me on the flight, an AF lens.

saph wrote:
One more for the morning - "Fifi" takes off at the Reading WW2 show on June 8th.

300 ED AIS 4.5, at f/5.6 and shutter speed kept at 1/400 to try and preserve Fifi's prop blur.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12616

Mescalamba wrote:
Hi guys,

leighton w wrote:
My favorite Nikkor zoom is the 50-135mm f3.5 AI-s. You can usually pick one up from anywhere between 150 to 300 bucks. Watch out for the condition, the zoom/focus rings can get very loose.

CGrindahl wrote:
That is great Leighton... grouping photos by lens used. What a great resource when we're talking about lenses. I think you're setting the price a bit high but doubtless if one has to have a focus ring that stands up by itself, they will pay a premium IF they can find one at all.

Regardless, you know I'm a big fan of this lens as well. I was early to the party so I bought a very clean copy WITH lens creep for $95... Mmm, good...

Yea, that may be a tad high, but I was quoting lenses in EX condition from KEH.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12616

Mescalamba wrote:
Hi guys,

leighton w wrote:

Mescalamba wrote:
Very nice pics. I noticed this lens some time ago, tho I think someone was faster then me and grabbed it. I should say that I have APS-C so 50mm as start is tiny bit long. Something starting at 28 or 35 would be better probably..

Tokina AT-X 35-70/2,8 found this one.. worth something? I know its not Nikon.

I had the 28-50 f3.5 AI-s (sold it to Reagan) and it's a VERY nice lens. The only thing I didn't like about it is that it didn't focus close enough for me at the wide end. That's why I went with the 28mm f2.8 AI-s (bought from Reagan) .
As for the Tokina, I'm not sure. But I've read great things about the Tamron 28-75 f2.8

1       2       3              2835      
       2837              5885       5886       end