Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2835

1       2       3              2835      
       2837              4440       4441       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13644

Kevin, the two closeups with the 80-200 f/4.5 with the PK-13 are GREAT. Possibilities are endless when we mount tubes on a fine MF lens. Very nicely done.

James Markus
Total Posts: 4469

All of you have posted wonderful images! A few days ago I had to give my son a ride from the auto repair place. I took the long way, and this is one of the sights I found. Nikkor 50mm f1.2 ais

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3150

More from my recent sets. Most of these are from the Art and Tech festival that I helped plan at American River College. I will try to list which lenses were with each picture, but I forgot to change the lens data in camera midway through...

All images are handheld.

These are the 80-200/4.5

_DSC8160 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

One of our glass blowing artists making my wife her mothers day flower.

_DSC8169 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Intense... Artists were taking a class on perspective.

_DSC8189 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Street photography. Time of day made shadows a problem... I was thinking about Philippe when I shot/converted this.

_DSC8204 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3150

Few other notables...

California girl... Part of the fashion program at ARC. Although she is young, one of her outfits won an inter-district contest.

_DSC8224 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

My boss learning how to do ceramics.

_DSC8253 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Macro with my 50/1.8E and the PK13

_DSC8262 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

50/1.8E of my new black-belt (my oldest daughter)

_DSC8265 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

LarryM
Total Posts: 328

I have a polarizer question for the experts around here.

Is it necessary to use a circular polarizer with manual focus lenses on a digital body?
It's my understanding that circular is needed for auto focus and linear is fine for manual focus.

I ask because I have a couple of older linear filters in the drawer.

Thanks,
Larry

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1553

jhinkey wrote:
georgms wrote:

John, interesting set-up for the Live-View-operation. Can you operate the D800 completely from the tablet (except for manual focusing, of course)?
Regarding the early morning ferry run: this fine image/view would look pretty good too if captured through the 500/4P, right ?

Thanks Georg -

I think that 500/4P would have been a bit too tight for this shot.
What I needed was a really really good 200mm this morning, but I don't have one.

Here's another shot taken a bit earlier in the morning I believe . . .

John, Awesome, such a beautiful part of the world, and it has lots of water!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1553

Just a quick posting, I may go to Cinco de Mayo at Old Town San Diego tomorrow. It is interesting but parking is so hard.

Tried to do something today, and all I did was a short drive, our poor lake is very low on water.

Unless I am planning to print the photo or capture an unique opp. I am using the D3, at 100% its 12 MP are superior to the D800, and 12 MP is all I want.

California Spring is fighting Summer, it will lose. 85mm 2 ais.

nikon nikkor 85mm 2.0 ais D3 lone fishing color by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 85mm 2.0 ais D3 lone fishing by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 85mm 2.0 ais D3 spring fights summer in California by Rafael CA, on Flickr

pburke
Total Posts: 2155

LarryM wrote:

Is it necessary to use a circular polarizer with manual focus lenses on a digital body?
It's my understanding that circular is needed for auto focus and linear is fine for manual focus.

Thanks,
Larry

the old polarizers work just fine. heck, I can even use them on AF lenses with the D600 - can't tell a difference.

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1139

pburke wrote:
LarryM wrote:

Thanks,
Larry

the old polarizers work just fine. heck, I can even use them on AF lenses with the D600 - can't tell a difference.

Larry, that's my experience too. The linears work great on MF lenses and cost less. I've also used them on AF lenses and while you might need to adjust exposure a quarter stop or so in PP, it's really not a big deal IMO.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9787

Great work everyone! I decided to take my 50mm f1.2 to the market this week because I was debating whether or not to sell it for lack of use. I've decided to keep it as it has just too much character to get rid of it.

50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

Basil_B&W_50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

leighton w

***** BLOG UPDATE *****

More from San Francisco with Curtis' fifteenth and sixteenth posts!

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

James Markus wrote:
All of you have posted wonderful images! A few days ago I had to give my son a ride from the auto repair place. I took the long way, and this is one of the sights I found. Nikkor 50mm f1.2 ais

h

WOW - fantastic James.

Kevin - love those balloons - they really pop (excuse the pun) but the colour composition, everything, really excellent.

Ben

Sunday Darlinghurst - nikon 85mm f1.8 HC by benmorgan28, on Flickr

souvenirs of oz - nikon 85mm f1.8 HC by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 24mm PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

leighton w

Looks like you finally have something Ben, good stuff. Now, whenever you're ready to have it on the blog email me.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6244

georgms wrote:

John, interesting set-up for the Live-View-operation. Can you operate the D800 completely from the tablet (except for manual focusing, of course)?

You can operate the camera for everything you need to take the shot, but you can't access any of the menus (e.g., if you wanted to change the non-CPU lens info, something in the shooting bank, etc.).
But ISO, shutter speed, white balance, etc. are - pretty much anything that is an external button or on the top LCD is adjustable from the tablet. What I really like about it is the live view zoom function - just tap on any portion of the screen in live view and it will zoom in to 100% at that spot.
I have not used all it's capabilities, but so far I like it - the one major downside is that it's extra "stuff" to lug around and another cable to connect. It's also a bit slow in-between shots.

It's called Helicon Remote.

John

Oosty
Total Posts: 4051

Radael - love the vintage cars

Ray - the day lily is superb

Ben - Nikki looks happy to be home and away from all temptation of the flesh (I don't know what she was up to in Dowling St)

Roberto - great tree . (BTW just looking at yor profile you seem to have nearly as many lenses as Curtis, Jose and Rafael put together!!! )

Ron - beautiful dogs

JOhn - amazing range on the ferry shot! And what a technician!

Ronny - lovely flowers

Samy - that is a breathtaking azalea image. Wow!!

Philip - gorgeous girl!

Phillippe - both images of Loumarin are great. Looks chilly though.

Peter B - that looks like an insurance fire to me! Well seen.

Kevin - that is a superb series!

Georg - I like the bikers. The steeple gave me an idea for a new Harley helmet too

James - the foggy road is a winner.

Leighton - the farmers' market shots are really good

LarryM
Total Posts: 328

Foggy14 wrote:
pburke wrote:
LarryM wrote:

Thanks,
Larry

Larry, that's my experience too. The linears work great on MF lenses and cost less. I've also used them on AF lenses and while you might need to adjust exposure a quarter stop or so in PP, it's really not a big deal IMO.

Thanks Guys. I'll clean off the old Series 9 Tiffen and add it to my bag.

Larry

Oosty

Our annual motor show took place yesterday and I had intended to spend a few hours there. However, an invitaion to golf took precedence so I rushed in with one lens (50 f2 H), hurried around took a lot of shots in twenty minutes and away I went, Typically I had the wrong focal length so had to make a number of "poor man's wide angle" images ( I love digital!!!).

Here to start are some Americans in Africa.

From the 1920's both Ford and GM had assembly plants in South Africa and there were many different cars to choose from. Both are still here although the tendency towards British and German models began in the late '60's and early '70's. Chrysler came and went and we saw many Hudsons, Nash's, Henry J's as well as the ever populat Studebakers.

Those were the days - open roads , little traffic and cheap fuel!

leighton w

Thanks Peter. Love the old cars, especially the last one.

pburke
Total Posts: 2155

jhinkey wrote:
It's called Helicon Remote.

I saw a review of it on Fro Knows Photo recently. Still waiting for their wireless version before trying it, since I do have an iPad laying around at work that gets no use.

I never use live view on the camera, but on a larger screen it may be worth it for critical work with MF glass. The Nikon software that comes with the WU-1B is a joke. Pretty much does nothing on the remote other than AF and exposure button. You can't zoom in, can't change settings and the screen is iPhone sized even on an iPad - no more than an iPhone placebo toy.

Oosty

Of course the Brits have always had a sood following and in their hey day most were assembled or imported to SA. Here's a selection

1       2       3              2835      
       2837              4440       4441       end