/forum/topic/929565/2830

1       2       3              2830      
       2832              5891       5892       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

rafaelcasd wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
NOTHING in life is better than doing what you love doing. You are a blessed man Leighton. I feel the same way but fortunately, I'M RETIRED... Of course, that means I have much too much time to be shopping for lenses...

I think I need a job...

You need a part time job in the local camera store. Just think of all the lenses you could sell...AND buy!

The local stores no longer have Nikon MF lenses for sale or being traded, Curtis would have to stray from his true beliefs!

My cameras store does sell old lenses and I quite regularly pick through them. But I can do better price wise on E-Bay and frankly, I own so many lenses they never have anything I need. We're blessed with used gear AND a camera technician who knows what he is doing.

And Rafael, thanks for that thorough description of how you got that shot. I think such conversations are useful for those adventuring into new territory. You have valuable experience to share.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

CGrindahl wrote:
That would be dangerous Leighton. At the moment I'm trying to GET BACK two lenses I gave that camera shop on consignment. I realized after signing the deal that I likely could get a better price on FM since I wouldn't be paying a hefty commission. I have a 105 f/2.5 P and 50 f/1.4 S pre-AI lenses created when I swapped out aperture rings. As much wheeling and dealing as I do I probably should go into business...

You could become the KEH of the West Coast.

leighton w

rafaelcasd wrote:
leighton w wrote:
We went over to the youngest daughters for a get together yesterday afternoon. The light and sky were spectacular! Barbara insisted on a group photo. The more I use the 50/1.2, the more I like it.

Leighton, beautiful family.

Thank you Rafael, fortunately, the girls get their looks from their mother.

lucdeschepper
Total Posts: 157

Indeed a very nice image of a beautiful family!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2488

leighton w wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
leighton w wrote:
We went over to the youngest daughters for a get together yesterday afternoon. The light and sky were spectacular! Barbara insisted on a group photo. The more I use the 50/1.2, the more I like it.

Leighton, beautiful family.

Thank you Rafael, fortunately, the girls get their looks from their mother.

I did not say it, you did.

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Did I just commit myself to staying up real late on a weekday??

Rafael, thanks a bunch for posting the details of how you got the shot. The cable release I am sure adds to the quality. I need to drag out my remote cable for the D800. I saw the moon shake through the lens yesterday once I was done focusing and making sure it was somewhere near the center of the frame. I kind of clamped down on the tripod head to try and damp down the vibrations, held my breath and took the shot, not exactly good technique. Live view seems like the way to go also since the mirror slap is going to add the shake.

I always need to do a pass through sharpen in PSE and any noise gets exacerbated. Keeping the ISO low also is a very good tip. I will stick to the TC301 and TC14.

Samy

rafaelcasd wrote:
saph wrote:

Rafael, that last image is one superb moon!!! That's the kind of view I have seen through my reflector telescope, now gathering dust in the garage. The best day to get crater details is about 2-3 days before or after full moon. Your image is inspiring me to try and stay awake long enough on perhaps Tuesday to get the 500 outside, this time with the TC16A or TC301.

Thank you Samy, allow me to share the techie side of getting that shot, I piled up the converters, one TC300, one TC 201 and one TC 14. The image is not cropped top to bottom. The quality of the lens is much lowered, but still better than 15 miles of atmosphere looking straight up or 100+ early in the rise/set. I closed the lens to f8 to get reasonable performance. Set the left top dial to mirror up,and exposure delay menu to three seconds, I use a cable release and set the ISO to 800, as the D800 gets noisy over 800, still great but it will lose detail on the low contrast moon once the noise is processed out.

Focused on magnified live view, kept refocusing for each couple of shots, as most would be ever so slightly out of focus, shot by pressing the cable release twice, once to lift the mirror, then again a few seconds later to take the shot, with an additional delay of three seconds set in the menu.

Took about 40 shots and only two made the grade. If you use the TC301 and the 500, with no more converters. you will get a much higher keeper rate and the cropped moon may be better than my full frame with all the glass piled on. Try lower iso as well, the crop will be even better.

PS, on my 400mm I would stay away from the TC16a, AF does not help here, and the TC 301 is better.

Sorry about the wordy description, looking forward to your lunar shoot!

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 4110

NightOwl Cat wrote:
It sure is a risky business. Luckily, nobody on the crowd was injured, as can happen. The files from my cameras are loaded up on DVD's now to hand in to the FAA/NTSB in case there's anything there they can use.

saph wrote:
Laura, found out from your post what happened at the Dayton air show. Really tragic, those air show daredevils are some of the most bravest performers in the world.

raboof wrote:
I also heard the news about the crash. A very sad news, indeed.

I got a bit of time today so I decided to make modification to my TC-16A. It's working. Took with the 105mm f2.8 AIS Micro.

When a friend showed me the video and location, you were the first person I thought of, as I remembered how you liked going to the show there. Such a sad thing. They were suppose to be here next month for a show.

Matt

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Leighton, that's a very nice and lovely family-portrait! Did Jed trigger the shutter or did you have to run again after starting the self-timer
The nightscape is wonderful, really love this shot!

leighton w

Thanks Georg! The D600 isn't weather sealed enough for Jed's slobber.

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5072

Great shot leighton and curtis
Nice sets Chuong
Great b&w Georg as always

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

leighton w

Thanks Ronny.

More beautiful flowers, I especially like the isolation with the second one. Do you grow these?

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

leighton w wrote:

Leighton your photos using the 50mm 1.2 over the last few days has been extraordinary. Wonderful work and editing!

LarryM
Total Posts: 426

CGrindahl wrote:
LarryM wrote:
I was playing with a 200mm f/4 Nikkor-Q (AI'd) that was in a bag of lenses I bought recently.
It looks almost brand new, but I'll probably put it up for sale soon since I am already covered with that focal length, and more importantly, I need to recover some of the grocery money I spent buying them.

I also learned I can no longer hand hold long lenses at slow shutter speeds.

Larry

That's what manual mode is for. Modern DSLR cameras handle low light so well, that you can turn on Auto ISO, set the shutter speed where you find comfort, set aperture and let the camera solve the lighting problem. Between Auto ISO and the non-CPU register you're in good shape unless you really want to stop down. But these lenses tend to be sharp wide open so that's not a problem.

With regard to the 200 Q, Georg mentioned recently that he'd like to buy one. Perhaps you could work out something with him. I've sent quite a few lenses to Europe, South America and Australia using First Class International mail. Yes, I have to fill out a customs form, but that's not a big deal. Of course, you have to work out a method of payment. Paypal gift is not a bad way to go. Think about it Larry. If you really want to let that lens go, Georg might be very interested.

Thanks for the tips Curtis. I'll get an estimate of shipping it to Europe and contact Georg.
However, he mentioned that he passed on a local one since the price was too high and I'm thinking that the extra shipping charges and possible duty might be a deal killer. But I'll ask anyway.

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5072

MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:

Leighton your photos using the 50mm 1.2 over the last few days has been extraordinary. Wonderful work and editing!

+1

Leighton
They are taken in a park that is near where I live .. It's a very nice park

lucdeschepper
Total Posts: 157

Ronny, although I'm not a nature photographer myself I do enjoy your flower images a lot!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4683

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Great shot leighton and curtis
Nice sets Chuong
Great b&w Georg as always

It has been fun watching your technique evolve and improve. That second shot is so beautifully done, wish it was one of mine.

leighton w

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:

+1

Leighton
They are taken in a park that is near where I live .. It's a very nice park

Thanks Ray and Ronny!

leighton w

Well it wouldn't be Sunday if I didn't at least post a few images from the market. All with the 50/1.2

A little color:

50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

A customer:

50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

And this is what the market looks like when I get there:

50/1.2AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Here's a few shots taken in Charleston, S.C. I used the D7000 and the 16mm 3.5. I was going through my folders and re-editing some photos and found a few that I missed the first time around. I de-fished the images

zippy_monster
Total Posts: 158

Going through some pictures from earlier this year I found this:

Shot with a 28/2.8 AiS not a lens I like for distant subjects. And yet... perfect for a gloomy day in Malibu.

1       2       3              2830      
       2832              5891       5892       end