Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2830

1       2       3              2830      
       2832              4263       4264       end

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5101

MarkdV wrote:
Hi All,

Been a while since I had the chance to get the camera out. Managed yesterday and it promply started raining so I put it back and very soggily went home again, but I do have 2 sets of photos I have been wanting to share from Garda and Verona in Italy

This set is from the city of Verona. I've shared some before from Verona with the 50mm but these are a few from parts I didn't get to last time, specifically the castly and the famous balcony.

These are all with the 35-70mm and it rained all the time + somehow I got sand in the focus ring, but such a well made lens was easy to clean and the conditions caused no issues.

The castle was the seat of military authority during the middle ages, guarding the river and the city. Being Italy the real power however was held by the families who controlled the money and this swung between rival families in bloodthirsty intrigue that would make the storyline of Dallas believable in comparison.
The castle guarded the bridge across the Aldige river and this is what derived the city much of it's power as this was one of few crossing points of the river. The ancient bridge was bombed in WWII and after the war the local historical society scoured the river for all the original bricks they could find and rebuilt the bridge, casting replacement bricks in the old technique as needed.

The Juliet balcony is the most famous landmark of Verona, except perhaps for the ancient Arena, and attracts thousands of visitors and letters each year. "Juliet" answers all the letters thanks to a team of local volunteers (although one wonders if the writers of these letters have read the play and what happens to the star crossed lovers at the end, maybe not the people you want to write for advise!)

Love the look on the guys face

georgms
Total Posts: 3423

The statue made me think about one in my hometown, I've shot it/her a couple of times now. Here are two shots from 2009:

a bit too much flare for my liking - D700, Ais 20/3.5 at f/8

D700, one of my two Ai'd 105/2.5's wide open
I asked a friendly lady with a camera to pose for me in the background - she is rendered a bit too unsharp.
We exchanged the pictures later ;-)

This fountain-figure (or fountain sculpture) is from 1922, it was created by an artist known for his war-memorials.
Stolen 1993 (probably not for it's beauty, rather for it's value as scrap-metal), remodeled and stolen again 2005, this one is from 2007.

MDoc9523

Georg that second shot has some amazing lighting. Although the lady is out of focus I am sure that the bokeh would not look as nice stopped down. I love the rounded lights!

Ray

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2900

MDoc9523 wrote:
Georg that second shot has some amazing lighting. Although the lady is out of focus I am sure that the bokeh would not look as nice stopped down. I love the rounded lights!

Ray

100% in agreement!

georgms

Mark, very nice set from Verona! The 35-70 has some wild bokeh (very appealing to me - reminds me of the 35/1.4 in this matter).
Love the guys look on the Juliet-shot. "Castle and river" would make a perfect subject for a stitched pano.

Rafael, I'm in love with the pictured action-finder Wow, very cool set-up. Thanks for sharing pictures of your gear!

Ray, I prefer the second version of the nightly scene by a wide margin.

John, at first i've thought $47 refers to the price of a print-shop (a picture well worth to get printed fairly large). I like the second shot a lot too.
Sorry about the sneaky "parking enforcement person". Chuong is right on the money - sell the picture to the city.

Samy, while the goose looks good in color too, I still prefer the B&W-version.

georgms

kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Ray

100% in agreement!

Ray and Kevin - thanks! The old 105/2.5 did very well here, I'm not sure that the same picture taken with a 85/1.4, the 105/1.8 or the 135/2 would look much better in terms of bokeh.
The light was really harsh this day (as seen in the wide-angle-shot) and I usually shoot against the light under this conditions. I took some pictures with the 50/1.2 Ais as well, but those lack character.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2622

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s tc-200 teleconverter by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Spetacular shots Ronny!

asiostygius

kwoodard wrote:
raboof wrote:
Again.. 300mm f4.5 with PK-13. This should be my last

Very nice! I like this one a lot.

+100!!

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2991

Georg, both are nice but second one really does it for me. Well done!

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2991

a café in Lourmarin with Nikki's sister :

asiostygius

pburke wrote:
saph wrote:
Peter, maybe Jose has the 600 and can comment first hand on it? The 500 F4P is very much pro quality, the sharpness of the images is just striking. I have tried the TC14B, the TC16A and TC 301 with the 500 F4P. I don't do quantitative tests but the general feeling I get is there is very little loss of quality with those TCs.

The TC16A is great as it adds some rudimentary AF capability (you first manually focus to a narrow range around where the desired focus point is for that semi-AF to work). In cases of low contrast or low light, that capability doesn't work so well, but usually then neither does the focus indicator dot. The TC-16A needs to be modified to work on modern Nikons.

The cool thing about the F4 max aperture is the bright image in the viewfinder, compared to for example the 400 5.6. My 400 (nowadays generally with the TC16A attached) however gets a lot more work in general for hikes or trips. I need to look at a rolling carrier for the 500, I am not strong enough to carry it beyond 15-20 min

What application(s) will you use the 600 f4 for?

Samy

Samy,

I think Jose has the 600/f5.6 - saw a lot of his posts on this site and others. The 500mm f4 is a lens a good friend owned back in the 90s and I know it can deliver the goods, but I always felt my Canon's 600mm reach (or 840 with 1.4x) was better suited for what we did (motorsports). The 1.4 was really perfect, hard to notice on any shots. 2x converters were soft and we rarely used them, and apparently these days that is still true even for the latest glass.

Since I posted this morning, I've found a few more reviews and examples and I am pretty much determined to go for a 600/f4 AIS late generation. I just can't make up my mind between a beater for $1800 (adorama), a decent condition lens from Canada for $2400 and a near mint one for $2800... currently leaning towards the nice one, as it is easier to resell should I change my mind. The Canadian lens auction ends tonight - but it probably is the least likely purchase, being from a foreign seller and without case or other accessories.

What will I use for? Other than flood this forum with flower pictures, I shoot cars, planes, landscape, deep zoom panoramas in the gigapixel range, portraits, etc. I don't do birds and other animals for the most part, but who knows, maybe I will find some subjects other than our oversized mosquitoes and black bears in people's garbage cans.

What you tell me about the TC16A is what I assumed it can do. The modified units should work on my D600 and allow me to grab a focus point if I get the lens pre focused in the ballpark. That's pretty much how we used the AF lenses in the 90s, since they just could not keep up with fast cars, we just locked them on an object at the distance we wanted to shoot, then turned off the AF and fired away in MF, waiting for things to roll through our focal plane. Technically, I think you can do that with the confirm-dot, so the TC16 may not be of that much use - key for me would be to know how the image quality of it compares to a TC14B which is allegedly the best TC for the 600 F4 AIS.

Thanks for the input - I really just have to make peace with the thought of putting almost 3 grand into something I may not use very often, even if it is something that holds its value quite well, thanks to Nikon's F mount still being current.

Peter

Peter, not much to add here, since I have the 600/5.6 ais, not the f/4 version. Anyway, I just suggest you to consider the TC14E, filling off a small metal tab allows this TC to work flawlessly with any long MF lens. I suppose optics are slightly better than the TC14B.

asiostygius

georgms wrote:
The statue made me think about one in my hometown, I've shot it/her a couple of times now. Here are two shots from 2009:

a bit too much flare for my liking - D700, Ais 20/3.5 at f/8

Georg, liked both, but this is splendid!

asiostygius

Thanks Philippe, Leighton, Georg, Ray (Ohio), Scott, Ray, Samy, Ronny, Peter (SA) and Jeff for the very kind words.

Ray (Ohio), loved the Azalea 3;

Scott, for me your 50/1.4 SC has a beautiful bokeh;

Samy, loved the B&W goose portrait;

Kevin, great shots with the 80-200/4.5;

Philippe, another great set with "Nikki's sister";

John, crisp and sharp pano with the 45/2.8;

Mark, loved the Verona set and the history lesson.

asiostygius

jhinkey wrote:
Oosty wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
Now you might be saying to yourself "Why is John calling this the $47 panorama"?

Because at the exact moment I was taking these pictures I was getting a $47 ticket for parking in a trailer-only zone . . . . .

Thanks for telling us John. I was wondering.... I just hope you took more than 1 picture so that your cost per image was reduced a bit

Well, my real reason for stopping was to continue testing of my 24-85GVR and 24-85G non-VR against each other, but I had (as is the usual nowadays) the 45/2.8P on the D800 so I snapped a few pictures first with it before switching over to the AF zooms.

I had not used either of these zooms in a while and now that I've used them a bit I now fully appreciate how fantastic primes are . . . .

John, I made some quick, not scientific tests with the new 24-85 VR vs. the 50-135ais & 75-150E at 85mm, and the result was a big shame to the new "plastic fantastic 24-85VR"...
Even my old (and often maligned at internet) 24-85mm f/2.8-4 AF-D was slightly better.
It could be just my copy N=1 (the D600 kit lens of the Adorama bargain prices at the end of 2012), but anyway I profited some good money, since sold it for about USD 700.00 here in Brazil (more money to buy MFNG )

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1028

asiostygius wrote:Georg, liked both, but this is splendid!

+1!

wshoc840
Total Posts: 41

Just picked up a Nikon 135mm f/2.8 AI and here are a couple using it on my d600. I'm still trying to get the manual focusing down and kids is a great way to practice!

1/2000s f/2.8

1/1250s f/2.8

1/1250s f/4.0

MDoc9523

Welcome and nice shots Bill. I have the 135 2.8 AI as well and although it isn't my favorite lens I like it much better on the D600 than I did on the D7000. It can be quite a challenge to use especially with children running about. You have done quite well in these photos, especially the second one!

Ray

georgms

MDoc9523 wrote:
Welcome and nice shots Bill. I have the 135 2.8 AI as well and although it isn't my favorite lens I like it much better on the D600 than I did on the D7000. It can be quite a challenge to use especially with children running about. You have done quite well in these photos, especially the second one!

Ray

+1 Welcome! The second image is my personal fav as well.

georgms

Philippe, the "Cafe"-image is one of your unique multidimensional shots that make me think more about seeing things than taking pictures (pardon my "English").

Philippe, Jose and Jeff - I'm glad you like the fountain-shots.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2900

georgms wrote:
Philippe, the "Cafe"-image is one of your unique multidimensional shots that make me think more about seeing things than taking pictures (pardon my "English").

I know, right? I can't "street shoot" very well, but whenever I try, Philippe's work always pops into mind.

1       2       3              2830      
       2832              4263       4264       end