Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2826

1       2       3              2826      
       2828              5887       5888       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

Oosty wrote:

...Speaking personally, I have neither the time nor the inclination to do much more than take pictures with my MF lenses, correct exposure, sharpen and resize for the thread. When it becomes work I'll stop doing it.

However, in the spirit of the thread, "to each his own".

CGrindahl wrote:
That's the spirit Peter. It is very important that this thread meet every participant where they are in their relationship with these lenses and their relationship with photography. I wouldn't want anyone to feel obliged to participate on this thread in any way that didn't feel true. I think the key is as Ray noted, the individual is responsible for INVITING critiques. Those of us who wish such feedback ask for it and those of us who have a hard time keeping our opinions to ourselves will contain ourselves...

I love your participation on the thread Peter and hope you do exactly that for a long time.

I hope I haven't given the wrong impression. I think it's imperative that critiques ONLY come when asked.

leighton w

leighton w wrote:
...Hmmm..."land of Leighton", I kind of like it, almost sounds like "land of Lincoln"!

CGrindahl wrote:
I was thinking the same thing but restrained myself from repeating that phrase. I don't know how kindly folks in your neck of the woods feel toward that particular President... I don't think I'm ready for a "rebel yell" this early in the morning...

http://www.26nc.org/History/Rebel-Yell/Sound-Files/RebelYell_s.wav

Hey, that war's been over for 150 years so I don't care.

leighton w

franche63 wrote:
Hi all,some pics with my D600 and Nikkor 135mm f2.

Hi Francesco, and welcome. What a beautiful way to start posting. Good to see another D600 user on the thread.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

A single shot 180 deg panorama of the Ford model A group. When the D5x comes out with 120 mp comes out, this is the only lens I will need, just take parts of the frame.

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 ais D800 ford As small town usa by Rafael CA, on Flickr

100% future NAS MF user. His security blanket will be replaced by lenses.

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 ais D800 ford As small town usa Crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

LarryM
Total Posts: 426

I was playing with a 200mm f/4 Nikkor-Q (AI'd) that was in a bag of lenses I bought recently.
It looks almost brand new, but I'll probably put it up for sale soon since I am already covered with that focal length, and more importantly, I need to recover some of the grocery money I spent buying them.

I also learned I can no longer hand hold long lenses at slow shutter speeds.

Larry

franche63
Total Posts: 22

Thanks John and Leighton,I spent some weeks to read all post in this thread. very interesting because I was thinking no more people taking pics with MF lens. AF lenses are good but I love also my old Ai-s lenses.
Leighton,my D600 settings are neutral,and I only use Lightroom to convert the NEF file into jpeg.I used to take pics with Kodachrome so I don't like to stay in front a computer for long time.....
regards

leighton w

LarryM wrote:

I also learned I can no longer hand hold long lenses at slow shutter speeds.

Larry

Join the club!

leighton w

How about some free advertising.

50/1.2 AIS by Leighton W, on Flickr

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

CGrindahl wrote:
I should post one photo before heading to bed. This was taken with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a 36mm Vivitar extension tube attached... hand held, wide open.

I'll be interested to see how the H version performs. Like all of the pre-AI lenses I've bought, it has a different optical design than later lenses. Thus far, I've enjoyed greatly how the older lenses perform.

Very nice Curtis.

mp356

georgms wrote:
Some snaps from today, all with the 180/2.8ED AT F/2.8 or f/4 (when I got this lens the aperture-mechanism was pretty lame, it's nice and snappy now after some use):

Nice series Georg. I like the first image the best. He looks very stately.

mp356

saph wrote:
Some work with the 13.5cm 3.5Q, at 3.5 or 5.6.

f/5.6

I like this one Samy. Nicely seen.

mp356

CGrindahl wrote:
That second photo is a gem Bert... it looks like a still life painting by a great master and you captured it with a humble Nikon MF lens. Beautiful.

The sweet thing about traveling with MF glass is that they are relatively small and light weight in comparison with modern AF glass. I took five lenses to Turkey and was perfectly happy with my kit, though after six hours lugging a backpack filled with lenses the bag felt pretty heavy...

I'll look forward to more photos from your trip.

+1 on this image Bert.

mp356

leighton w wrote:

Looks like a couple satisfied customers.

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5059

Thanks
Great shot Leighton

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

lucdeschepper
Total Posts: 157

Oosty wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Regarding critiques... when this thread began I was wary both of critiques of photos and detailed reviews of lenses because either can cause the eye to glaze over, the mouth to become dry and the viewer head for the woods. What has transpired over the almost three years this conversation has been going is the we've attracted a group of folks much dedicated to these lenses who tend to be generous and kind with their comments. We have a few rock stars who generally contribute stellar images to the mix and quite a few very competent photographers eager to improve skills. From my perspective, seeing excellent work is in itself an inspiration and motivation for me to do better.

What I've seen in comments on specific photos is that by an large they are supportive of the efforts of the person who posted the images. I don't see ANY mean spirited comments despite the fact on occasion we've had folks drop by who are having great difficulty getting images in focus when they have to turn the focusing ring themselves. I wouldn't want our celebration of these fine lenses to become distorted by comments and critiques that would drive folks away. That said, I appreciate the conversations about processing and the more detailed evaluations of lenses that appear. I think we're mature enough as a group that when someone wishes comments, as Leighton did today, we can offer feedback that might prove useful. My comments to Dean about his first Sliver Efex Pro conversions were not exactly solicited but he was talking about the challenges of learning the software. What I shared was intended to help him in that process. I consider Dean a good friend even if we've never met in person and wouldn't dream of demeaning his work. I hope that was evident in how I handled by suggestions.

So long as we continue to treat one another with respect and kindness, I believe we can give feedback where requested and continue to learn this wonderful craft. I can't imagine a better place to be doing that than right here.

As always the voice of reason.

Ultimately this thread is a showcase for the well crafted and magnificent Nikkor lenses that we own, love and, in some cases are obsessed,by. In addition it is a place where we hang out with others who share our enjoyment of the glass.

Most people are polite and either comment favourably or don't comment at all. Most also say "thank you" when something nice has been said about an image. It would be rude not to.

Speaking personally, I have neither the time nor the inclination to do much more than take pictures with my MF lenses, correct exposure, sharpen and resize for the thread. When it becomes work I'll stop doing it.

However, in the spirit of the thread, "to each his own".

As some of you may have guessed from the images I posted here I'm the "post processing type". I like to refine an image in post. I use Lightroom and Nik plugins. However, no way a bad image can be recovered by post processing. I think the "to each his own" attitude is very much ok.

lucdeschepper

leighton w wrote:

Nice shots Leighton! I'm a big fan of good street photography. I have to say though I mainly use my Fuji's X100 and X20 for that.

lucdeschepper

Two more Kodachrome slides, shot with the Nikkor 50mm f1.2. Scanned with an Epson V500 flatbed scanner.

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

rafaelcasd wrote:
Back to the T Fords, first the brass era. The lens was inches from the cars, the owners were worried, but on contact I would have been the one crying.

Awesome shots, Rafael !!!

A real treat seeing this lens in action ... and you could not have chosen better subjects. Great work.

deang001

CGrindahl wrote:
saph wrote:
...Curtis, don't blame anyone else for buying yet another lens, I see the "kit building is forever" wording whenever I look at your posts Congrats on the lens, and you do look bored as a youngster, you had clearly not discovered your devilish side yet

If by "discovering" a devilish side you mean girls, I was already a troublemaker by then...

It is true that I was too smart for my own good, which often translated into boredom that led to mischief. I climbed out of the window at Sunday school when the teacher left for a moment and locked all the doors in my grandparents home and then hid the key. I climbed under a postal truck in the slot normally reserved for a spare tire. The truck drove away and it was a frantic neighbor who saw me and flagged down the truck. I walked home naked at age four or five from a friend's home carrying all my clothes. I think it was raining at the time. I rounded up every cat in the neighborhood and locked them in our family garage. I wanted a cat and that seemed a good way to get one. I was so talkative in third grade that the teacher first put me in the rear corner surrounded by girls and when that didn't work put my desk next to hers and when that didn't work she had me sit on her lap. That worked, but only briefly. I know she liked me despite my talkativeness because she took me on excursions.

My God ... what an absolute nightmare you must have been !!!

deang001

leighton w wrote:
Zichar wrote:
Ummm what time do you normally wake up then?

Usually around 5, doesn't everyone?

I'm with you, Leighton ... 5am or earlier and go to bed at midnight. Morning is great.

Sleeping is the biggest waste of time ever. 4-5 hours max. We should only need 1hr !!

1       2       3              2826      
       2828              5887       5888       end