Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2825

1       2       3              2825      
       2827              5887       5888       end

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Some work with the 13.5cm 3.5Q, at 3.5 or 5.6.

f/3.5

f/5.6

f/5.6

saph

The idea about more constructive input into photos here is cool, it would definitely help me.

Georg, very nice backgrounds for the gull. It seems to be eyeing the 5 or 4 euro (or is it deustchemark?) sandwiches on that menu and thinking why pay when you can steal

Curtis, don't blame anyone else for buying yet another lens, I see the "kit building is forever" wording whenever I look at your posts Congrats on the lens, and you do look bored as a youngster, you had clearly not discovered your devilish side yet

Rafael, cute drummer boy picture. I love the way the 8 fisheye opens up the front of that car. And the one with the sunstars.

Lieutenant, that street picture is outstanding!!

James, great work with that apple.

Leighton, that pic with the light on the grass in the distance just needed a bit of exposure lifting.

Scott, loved that little house with the greenery around it.

Philip, good use of the 105 1.8 for that car.

Peter (Knysna), liked the red Jag. All these car pictures are inspiring me to find my way to a local classic car show this summer.

Peter (Madison), that red Ferrari is fun, and just thinking about that prior image of the 28mm 3.5 in a fishtank gives me the shivers

Oh boy another red car - Luc, superb Alpha!

James, thanks for the test of the two 35s.

Folks, any thoughts on creating a separate offshoot thread for tests of Nikon Manual Focus glass?

Samy

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

georgms wrote:
Curtis, congrats to your Nikkor-H 300/4.5! I've missed the auctions here on the 200/4Q and the 300/4.5H.
The 200mm went for more than I was willing to spend and the 300mm (went for 94 Euros, lens in pretty good shape) found it's new owner while I was having a nap :-(
My current 300/4.5 IF-ED was about 200 Euros and I would have spent around 130 Euros for the Ai'd 300/4.5 H in good shape...
Hope you'll like your new Nikkor-H.

Thanks Georg. I was hanging out on this thread when the auction ended. I'd encourage you to look for a snipe service that can handle bidding for you. I haven't personally followed an auction in about two years. The snipe service permits me to set a maximum bid, which in this case I set at $157.75. The opening bid was $150 and there was a Buy It Now price of $199. Sometime yesterday someone bid $150. I set up my bid so there is no review before the auction ends. I guess that is intended to give bidders the opportunity to increase their maximum should the bidding move beyond the initial maximum. I have NO interest in doing that. If I don't win the auction I move along. In this case, the snipe service, at 4 seconds before the end of the auction, made the lowest bid possible within the maximum I set and I won the auction for $152.50. I immediately got an email from E-Bay telling me I'd won the auction.

It is a remarkably sweet system. All I need to know is how much I'm willing to spend and the snipe service will do everything else. I think the cost of the service is 1% of the amount bid, which means I paid $1.525 to be able to spend my time as I wish. Here is a link to the service I use. I checked and the site will handle auctions regardless of the currency used so I assume you can pay their fees in whatever currency you normally use. You'd have to look more closely if this appeals to you.

http://www.esnipe.com

Perhaps next time you'll get your lens. I promise I'll post photos of my latest and put it to the test. Your interest in the lens contributed to my curiosity, so thank you. Rafael may have given a push but you made me wonder...

adh67
Total Posts: 561

Great stuff on the previous pages, with the Apple being my absolute favorite. I have been away on vacation the last week on Cape Cod and absolutely loved it. This was my first vacation leaving all my AF lenses at home. I am currently waiting for my flight back to SF (3hr delay ) so I figured I post a few.

Bert

saph

And here's two different frames of the earlier subjects, still with the 13.5cm 3.5 Q:

f/4:

f/5.6:

CGrindahl

saph wrote:
...Curtis, don't blame anyone else for buying yet another lens, I see the "kit building is forever" wording whenever I look at your posts Congrats on the lens, and you do look bored as a youngster, you had clearly not discovered your devilish side yet

If by "discovering" a devilish side you mean girls, I was already a troublemaker by then...

It is true that I was too smart for my own good, which often translated into boredom that led to mischief. I climbed out of the window at Sunday school when the teacher left for a moment and locked all the doors in my grandparents home and then hid the key. I climbed under a postal truck in the slot normally reserved for a spare tire. The truck drove away and it was a frantic neighbor who saw me and flagged down the truck. I walked home naked at age four or five from a friend's home carrying all my clothes. I think it was raining at the time. I rounded up every cat in the neighborhood and locked them in our family garage. I wanted a cat and that seemed a good way to get one. I was so talkative in third grade that the teacher first put me in the rear corner surrounded by girls and when that didn't work put my desk next to hers and when that didn't work she had me sit on her lap. That worked, but only briefly. I know she liked me despite my talkativeness because she took me on excursions.

Playing with MF glass is a great way to keep me occupied and not get me in trouble, except perhaps with the wives of folks contributing to this thread who watch their husbands buy lenses they don't really need... I'll take full blame for that, though I get lots of help...

CGrindahl

That second photo is a gem Bert... it looks like a still life painting by a great master and you captured it with a humble Nikon MF lens. Beautiful.

The sweet thing about traveling with MF glass is that they are relatively small and light weight in comparison with modern AF glass. I took five lenses to Turkey and was perfectly happy with my kit, though after six hours lugging a backpack filled with lenses the bag felt pretty heavy...

I'll look forward to more photos from your trip.

adh67
Total Posts: 561

CGrindahl wrote:
That second photo is a gem Bert... it looks like a still life painting by a great master and you captured it with a humble Nikon MF lens. Beautiful.

The sweet thing about traveling with MF glass is that they are relatively small and light weight in comparison with modern AF glass. I took five lenses to Turkey and was perfectly happy with my kit, though after six hours lugging a backpack filled with lenses the bag felt pretty heavy...

Thx Curtis, That was exactly what the scene in photo 2 reminded me of, and I tried to process in a way that resembled the old masters.
I am running low on battery power right now and we are about to board so here are a few more, but I will post some more once at home.

Bert

CGrindahl

Oosty wrote:

...Speaking personally, I have neither the time nor the inclination to do much more than take pictures with my MF lenses, correct exposure, sharpen and resize for the thread. When it becomes work I'll stop doing it.

However, in the spirit of the thread, "to each his own".

That's the spirit Peter. It is very important that this thread meet every participant where they are in their relationship with these lenses and their relationship with photography. I wouldn't want anyone to feel obliged to participate on this thread in any way that didn't feel true. I think the key is as Ray noted, the individual is responsible for INVITING critiques. Those of us who wish such feedback ask for it and those of us who have a hard time keeping our opinions to ourselves will contain ourselves...

I love your participation on the thread Peter and hope you do exactly that for a long time.

CGrindahl

Bert, your a very fine photographer with a great eye for possibilities. And that is what it is ultimately all about. One has to see it to be able to shoot it. Very nice.

CGrindahl

leighton w wrote:
...Hmmm..."land of Leighton", I kind of like it, almost sounds like "land of Lincoln"!

I was thinking the same thing but restrained myself from repeating that phrase. I don't know how kindly folks in your neck of the woods feel toward that particular President... I don't think I'm ready for a "rebel yell" this early in the morning...

http://www.26nc.org/History/Rebel-Yell/Sound-Files/RebelYell_s.wav

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5053

Great shot Bert

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 20mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5053

Great Shot !! Samy,Georg, Rafael,Leighton, Phillipe and Curtis

franche63
Total Posts: 22

Hi all,some pics with my D600 and Nikkor 135mm f2.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8403

franche63 wrote:
Hi all,some pics with my D600 and Nikkor 135mm f2.

Francesco let me be the first to welcome you to our little corner of the internet. Judging by your first set of posted pictures you will be making some very fine contributions to this thread.

John

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

Zichar wrote:
Ummm what time do you normally wake up then?

Usually around 5, doesn't everyone?

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2484

Bert, great baseball colors and New England Photos.

Leighton, this international community will seek freedom of expression, let's let the conversations flow as long as they don't stray far from MF Nikkors and what to do to their images.

Peter the 5cm 2 S is one of my favorite 20 lenses.

Georg thanks for the compliments on the 8mm and I used to be a surfer and dislike seagulls, pretty vultures, it is legal to feed them here.

Samy, you have me looking for a 135 3.5, can't find one!

Ronny, your 180 ED hums as a bumblebee,

Charlie may not surf but his 135 glides.

Continuing with the lens for this weekend, the all seeing eye!

Very clean! Nikkor 8mm Fisheye circular by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A Macro of The Old and Ugly ATT switching center.

nikon nikkor 8mm 2.8 D800 evening reflections off the ATT switching center by Rafael CA, on Flickr

stedge
Total Posts: 920

Bert,

Love the Plimoth Plantation photo!

My wife hails from Duxbury, MA, a lovely coastal town just north of the Cape. That area is a great place to relax. Very glad you enjoyed yourself.

Eric

leighton w

Georg - I like the flags in the OOF area of your first shot, it makes it for me. Color too!

Samy - I like the fence in the background in your second shot of the first set. Goes well with the straightness of the plant. And you're right my image just needed to be lighten.

Ronny - More great flower shots!

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:

A BIG plus 1! That second shot in the first set is gorgeous. And the refection shot in your second is outstanding too!

1       2       3              2825      
       2827              5887       5888       end