1       2       3              2820      
       2822              5891       5892       end

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

jhinkey wrote:
pburke wrote:
more color punch from yesterday - all with the 55mm f/1.2

and one for the rust aficionados

Although your color shots are pretty cool, I like the rust shot in particular.

- John

Ya gotta love rust!

StonePhotog
Total Posts: 134

That said, I was inspired to throw my Kenko tubes on the 180 AIS today and snap some shots in the backyard, just to see what would happen (I was home tending to a sick wife and had about 30 minutes to shoot).

This is the 180 with the 36mm tube.

StonePhotog

For some reason I'm only able to post a single pic at a time tonight.

This second one is with the 36mm and the 20mm tubes; these are the same flowers I posted a few days ago.

StonePhotog

And finally, a snap of a young downy woodpecker taken with the 500 f4 p. He was hopping around in the neighbors tree and paused long enough for me to get a few shots. I hope you enjoy the pics!

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

Thank you Curtis, Peter, Samy, Leighton, Jose, and Ronny for the comments and feedback.

Here a few more from western Virginia. All taken with the 28 2.8 ais. Comments and critique welcomed. Thanks for looking.
Scott

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Love the waterfall Scott!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

asiostygius wrote:
Yesterday´s late afternoon at the university campus I was lucky enough to capture some shots of a female Blond-crested Woodpecker foraging for fruits.
The light was poor so I needed ISO 1600, a wide open lens, and a monopod.
Shots wer ~10-11m away.

Acrobatic skills when foraging:

D7000 + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 K ED ai'd + monopod, ISO 1600, wide open at 1/200s.
When foraging these small fruits this woodpecker displayed her acrobatic skills.

Eating fruit:

Female Blond-crested Woodpecker eating fruits by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 K ED ai'd + monopod, ISO 1600, wide open at 1/160s.
Frugivory is not uncommon among some woodpecker species, like this one.

I am not a PP expert, but the auto colour correction resulted in a bluish cast that I did not like. I preferred the magenta cast. The fruits are exacly this colour, light pink/purple; it was late afternnon on a cloudy sky.

It seems at most birding forums one can only take bird pictures with the latest AF-S, VRIII, nano, etc lenses, but people often forget until mid or late 1980s all bird shots were taken with MF glass. I am glad this 40 years old lens still can perform well at the digital age.

WOW Jose!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2489

You may find this interesting, of all my lenses the only one that failed to perform at any aperture on the D800 was the 15mm 3.5 ais, I bought this lense on e bay a long time ago for $600 and it is like new, with case and all, now they sell for well over a thousand. Finally sent it in to Nikon USA, not sure if they would fix it, it appears to have haze in one internal element surface. Nikon USA has cleaned some of my old lenses, they will not repair them for lack of parts, but if the lens is good they will clean it. This lens may need replacement elements, to my surprise Nikon accepted a low performance lens for repair, but their estimate was a little high, I figure they think element replacement is likely. Other cleanings have cost as little as $80.
Here is the lens and the estimate

15mm F3.5 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Product Service & Repair

Thanks for trusting us with your repair!
You approved the repair service listed below. Please take a moment to review the order for accuracy

xx Order Number: xxx
Serial #: 188xxx
Problem: FOCUS Lens does not perform well SEE CUSTOMERS LETTER HAZE IN A MIDDLE ELEMENT Repair Cost: $420.00
Shipping Cost: $12.50
Total: $432.50

Total Repair Cost: $420.00
Total Shipping: $12.50

Shipping Address
BATLLE, RAFAEL xxx Payment Information
MASTERCARD
**** **** **** x

James Markus
Total Posts: 4801

Love the covered bridge Scott. Never seen an arched one before.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3761

+1
Simply amazing Jose

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8411

lucdeschepper wrote:

For sure I'll continue to post! I don't have extensive technical knowledge but on post processing esp. Lightroom I might be able to contribute something useful once in a while I hope.

Rotterdam is ok, great contrast between old and modern. Also a good place for street photography.

You've already contributed greatly just with your posts thus far - your photography is not my style per se, but I'm definitely a fan of it and am looking forward to seeing more.

John

jhinkey

mp356 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:

I love how the stem disappears in this shot.

+1 Ronny. Well captured.

One of my favorites of the last couple of pages - has that 3D effect going on . . .

jhinkey

raboof wrote:
WOW John. To me, your best pano.

Thanks Chuong!

It really pops with color - all I did was adjust some curves - no extra saturation at all. I was almost packing up when this scene revealed itself for about 5 minutes max.

In a couple of weeks we are heading off to South Dakota and I need to start deciding on what lenses to bring.
We are doing everything from cave touring, digging fossils, hiking, to hanging around the camp fire. Unfortunately we are flying, so my system needs to be quite compact. Choices, choices.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3761

Ahh ... you haven't taught your daughters to be camera sherpas yet?
Sounds like fun for sure. Took a look at your list of equipment in your profile ... oooh, that's gonna be tough work paring it down

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

You got me hooked Rafael... did you have them make the repair? Inquiring minds...

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2489

CGrindahl wrote:
You got me hooked Rafael... did you have them make the repair? Inquiring minds...

It is authorized but not done yet. I figure it was worth it 'cause once they agree to make the lens perform, we will not accept it until it works as well as any other lens on the D800. As it was the lens was not good enough to be used, and I would not sell without full disclosure.

If anyone can make that 15mm whole again it is Nikon.

jhinkey

Zichar wrote:
Ahh ... you haven't taught your daughters to be camera sherpas yet?
Sounds like fun for sure. Took a look at your list of equipment in your profile ... oooh, that's gonna be tough work paring it down

My one daughter wants a camera like mine

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

mp356 wrote:
Thank you Curtis, Peter, Samy, Leighton, Jose, and Ronny for the comments and feedback.

Here a few more from western Virginia. All taken with the 28 2.8 ais. Comments and critique welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Scott

Scott, another fine series, but I like this one the best. Can you get to the base of the falls fairly easy?

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Jose, missed the woodpecker before, tremendous avian image as always!

Scott, beautiful covered bridge and waterfall scenery in West Virginia. After I did the 135 vs. 135 test at f/5.6, I went and looked at the aperture mechanism of the two, and sure enough the older 3.5Q maintains a more rounded shape better at f/4 and /5.6 (even though f/4 is not marked on the 3.5Q, it does click stop there). I was curious about their relative characteristics when more depth of field is needed.

Jay, cool shot with extension tubes. There's also a "Shooting with Tubes" thread in the macro forum that Curtis started, if you haven't run into that yet, you can cross post those images there too.

Peter(Madison), the colors and the rust detail with the 55 1.2 are very pleasing!

Rafael, outwardly that 15mm looks to be in mint condition, hope Nikon sends it back working as well too.

Ronny, delicious blue flower floating in the green space!

John, great pano again!

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Just came across this Henri Cartier-Bresson interview:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/cartier-bresson-there-are-no-maybes/

1       2       3              2820      
       2822              5891       5892       end