1       2       3              2816      
       2818              4300       4301       end

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3011

From Oppède-Le-Vieux with the 180 and the 85 HC Ben forced me to buy ;

James Markus
Total Posts: 4435

georgms wrote:
James, I really like the "Tulip Tree Bud". It looks really familiar - like ornaments (or vice versa). How would you rate the 200/4 Micro compared to Nikon's 180/2.8's and the "normal" 200/4?

Georg, this 200mm f4 ais micro, was a lens I had always wanted. It isn't the sharpest, but it is a pleasure to use. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 score using Bjørn Rørslett's scale. It has excellent working distance...built in hood, buttery smooth focus with a long enough throw to nail it. The micro doesn't make a good medium to long distance lens - IMO. It is meant to be used as a macro lens only.

I also have a 200mm f4 ai that is beautifully built, but I am disappointed in it's performance. A while back I got the Nikkor 180mm F2.8 AF - because I had read it is the sharpest of all the 180's Nikon made. The used copy I got is incredibly sharp... wrote an FM review LINK HERE

My favorite 200 micro image so far...(I have only owned the lens about 10 months)
is 8 focus stacked frames from a D800, a 200mm f4 AIS Micro + 36mm tube.

I also use it with my Canon 7D - where it acts like a 320mm macro for really great reach...sample here
LINK HERE

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2967

Georg and Phillipe...great images from you both. I may get to shoot a B17 Flying Fortress later today, but I have been feeling like crud all day.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a chronic back condition. Pretty much in pain all the time. I have done decades of physical therapy, medication, chiropractor, you name it, pretty much have tried it. The only time I may have been able to fix my back was when I was a boy. I was slated for surgery that would have had me in bed with a brace for two years. In the 70's, the surgery only had about a 40% success rate and a high risk of paralysis. My family didn't trust the risks so we didn't go through with it. Today they do the surgery with a weeks stay in bed and a brace for 6 months. No dangers at all. Unfortunately my back is no longer pre puberty, so it wouldn't do me much good.

georgms
Total Posts: 3450

James Markus wrote:
georgms wrote:
James, I really like the "Tulip Tree Bud". It looks really familiar - like ornaments (or vice versa). How would you rate the 200/4 Micro compared to Nikon's 180/2.8's and the "normal" 200/4?

Georg, this 200mm f4 ais micro, was a lens I had always wanted. It isn't the sharpest, but it is a pleasure to use. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 score using Bj�rn R�rslett's scale. It has excellent working distance...built in hood, buttery smooth focus with a long enough throw to nail it. The micro doesn't make a good medium to long distance lens - IMO. It is meant to be used as a macro lens only.

I also have a 200mm f4 ai that is beautifully built, but I am disappointed in it's performance. A while back I got the Nikkor 180mm F2.8 AF - because I had read it is the sharpest of all the 180's Nikon made. The used copy I got is incredibly sharp... wrote an FM review LINK HERE

My favorite 200 micro image so far...(I have only owned the lens about 10 months)
is 8 focus stacked frames from a D800, a 200mm f4 AIS Micro + 36mm tube.

I also use it with my Canon 7D - where it acts like a 320mm macro for really great reach...sample here
LINK HERE

James, thanks for your review/overview about the 200 Micro! Your favorite shot with it (and the one taken with the Canon too) is wonderful.
This lens shows up on a regular basis at the german ebay-site and I'm always tempted to place a bid.
I rarely do real macro-work, but love to shoot medium sized details and close portraits and it should do well for this kind of stuff.
Thanks for your note about it's limited capabilities at greater ranges.

georgms

Philippe, I can't help it - I just love your way to see and capture the world ;-) Stellar set above - Oppède-Le-Vieux must be a place where the time stands still. Beautiful village (except for the clay bear on the last picture ;-).

Reagan
Total Posts: 2992

georgms wrote:
Philippe, I can't help it - I just love your way to see and capture the world ;-) Stellar set above - Oppède-Le-Vieux must be a place where the time stands still. Beautiful village (except for the clay bear on the last picture ;-).

+1
I didn't see the bear and had to look for it

Reagan

saph
Total Posts: 2341

Waiting for the next move.. 55 1.2S, f/4

Stamens - with 135 f2 AI + PN-11 tube. Both at f/2.8.

saph
Total Posts: 2341

James, terrific dragonfly + background flower colors.

Philippe, beautiful set again, and hope you and Ben keep on forcing lenses on each other so we can get more great photos from you guys

Georg, that artwork with the sunburst through it is very striking, and especially with those tiny people in the background. And wow, what a use of the 16 fisheye on your namesake Georg Buchner!! I always wonder what I would do with a fisheye since my wide angle composition skills are non existent, well, here's a lesson on what to do

Peter (Wisconsin), terrific timing of the sunburst at Mt. Whitney.

Leighton, the spinning green lettuce in the orange mixer is super.

Peter, very nice bright beach, and the lone woman walking towards it completes the image.

Ray (FL), beautiful capture through that little glass "lens". You are using the 300 4.5, 68mm extension tubes, and a small fisheye water lens to achieve that effect!

georgms

The local beach over here today at 2 p.m.: crowded and way too cold for my taste

24/2 Ai at f/5.6, still missed the focus a bit, cropped

georgms

Samy, Kevin, Philippe and Peter: thanks for your kind words on the sunburst and ship-shots!

georgms

Samy, I like the chess-player a lot. Nice B&W, it must have been a tricky task to deal with the high contrast.

Reagan
Total Posts: 2992

Ok, I am confused Georg
I thought Germany was landlocked How could you be at the beach Nice photo though

Reagan

pburke
Total Posts: 2118

Reagan wrote:
Ok, I am confused Georg
I thought Germany was landlocked How could you be at the beach Nice photo though

Reagan

Germany has a few beaches on the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. My sister owns a place on the Island of Zingst in the Baltic Sea

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1462

Went to the botanical garden "Quail" in Encinitas.

Used the 16mm AFD, so you only see a link and the 85mm K photo that Curtis, aka Nikkor Shaitan, made me buy. There will be more this is a beautiful place, I like high res high content photos, and they don't show well at Web sizes.

This one is in the spirit of Provence, or is it Santa Barbara?

16mm afd

nikon nikkor 85mm 1.8 K full open san diego botanical garden quail encinitas by Rafael CA, on Flickr

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

rafaelcasd wrote:
I heard there was a Monty Sighting.

Out at the Friday cruising Grand (Street). This goes on every Friday until fall, 4 miles from home. Wanted to do something different so I took the 180mm 2.8 ai with the TC16a. Good combo up close, a little iffy farther away.

It does focus wonderfully though. Here is a few samples. (Who here actually took a date to a drive-in and had a server on roller skates place your burger in the car window? )

nikon nikkor 180mm 2.8 ai tc16a d800 drive in meal by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Nice series Rafael.

mp356

bruni wrote:
Mihai - WOW - like Ray said - that night set is "awesome"

ben

the Mickelvich files - nikon 24mm PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Ben, I like the first image here.

mp356

pburke wrote:
Poor man's fisheye - a 9 image 180 degree panorama stitch taken with the 20mm f3.5 AI at the SAC museum. Talk about a white balance dilemma...

frames area all f/11 0.6s iso 100 on tripod, 3 frames by 3 rows, cropped to shape

Very nice pano!

mp356

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Hi all, I have just returned from a week in Provence (South-East of France) where I rented a house in a little village.

Very nice series Phillipe. I like the mood the fog sets.

mp356

georgms wrote:
Ray, I like your kind of fun!

Here's another sunburst (my kind of fun lately ;-), this time with the 24/2 Ai:

24/2 Ai stopped down to f/16, I should really clean my D3s' sensor :-(

Very nice Georg. Thank you for the comment and advice.

mp356

georgms wrote:

+1 Philippe. Great work!

1       2       3              2816      
       2818              4300       4301       end