1       2       3              2799      
       2801              5889       5890       end

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5069

Nice shot Curtis and Chuong

adh67
Total Posts: 561

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Great shot Peter in Wi,Dean and Georg.. Nice set !!

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

This one is exceptional.

Bert

Ronny Olsson

Thanks Bert

rolubich
Total Posts: 192

adh67 wrote:

This one is exceptional.

Bert

+1

designdog
Total Posts: 227

CGrindahl wrote:
I appreciate everything you have to say Rafael. I'm delighted that you've chosen to become more involved in this thread precisely because of the history you bring to these conversations. My limit initially was $300 and I was able to accumulate quite a few lenses keeping the price in that region. In fact, I believe eight of my lenses have cost less than a hundred dollars and a great many less than two hundred. It was only when I sold the last five of my Canon L lenses that I stepped up and paid the then market price for the 105 f/1.8, 85 f/1.4, 35 f/1.4, 28 f/2 and 135 f/2. The last of those lenses is the most expensive I've bought and that was $625 for a pristine copy of an AI-s lens.

I agree with all you say... the journey is much enriched because we get good deals, but it really is in using these lenses on modern DSLR cameras, especially FX cameras that satisfies the should.

I'm curious what you mean about "turning around this collection..." Perhaps at some time you'll want to share your thoughts on what that might look like. Have you been seduced by Zeiss or Leica or something else? Inquiring minds want to know...

Curtis:

Unbelievable committment to Nikon manual focus!
Being both very new to Nikon and Nikon manual focus (although in digital photography since around 2000, mostly with Canon,) being retired and of limited means (money and time) and being realistic about my level of commitment and talent, I am embarking on a different approach:
I will get the best lenses (for my needs) available and try to get the best out of them. Thus I am selling some MF lenses where the AF is better, for example the 28 2.8 AI-s for the 28 1.8G, the 85 2 AI-s for the 85 1.8G, etc. And I am acquiring lenses that have no equal, for example the 135 2 AI-s, the 105 2.8G VR, and, you will laugh, the Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DI VC. Also, many on your list look good to me!
In some cases image quality, taste, and fun shooting will prevail, as in preferring the 25-50 4 and 50-135 3.5 AI-s to the 24-70 2.8G. In some cases experience makes the choice: a trip to the zoo where I struggled to focus with the 180 2.8ED AI-s made me get the Tamron.
In any case, my lens lineup will never match yours, or probably most of the participants here, but I have learned more here than any forum out there, and have enjoyed the photography and talent on display!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

There is no cookie cutter for this journey David, it is necessarily personal. That you're finding your way is wonderful and if the conversation occurring on this thread is useful that is wonderful as well. What has proved to be an interesting development has been the creation by Dean our friend from Hong Kong of a companion thread in the Nikon forum titled "MF Nikon Glass" shooters shooting AF !! It has happened many times on this thread that participants report using AF glass and occasionally offering links to that work. This new thread allows folks who've gotten to know one another and who enjoy one another to share that kind of work. You might want to check it out as well... same great people, sharing some excellent work.

I'd say that my relationship with photography has many elements. Surely taking photos that satisfy my aesthetic taste is one element, but then I'm a bit smitten by the craftsmanship of these old lenses and greatly enjoy the simple experience of holding a lens. For all the capability of newer AF lenses they will never give me the same degree of pleasure visually. Beyond that, I speak of the "religious" experience of turning the focusing ring and watching the subject come into focus. Frankly, I hate using an AF lens. It feels as though the deepest part of the experience of shooting is lost when I depress the shutter button and the lens snaps into focus. I want to feel the focus ring turn, perhaps pausing to change aperture, fingers on this beautifully made metal lens. That I can own such wonderful gear at such amazingly low prices adds to the delight. I can always go to Amazon and get a brand new 85 f/1.8G but to find a mint quality 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd lens demands a great commitment of time and attention.

But all of that is me, no one else needs to do it the way I do. That said, I don't believe I'm alone in appreciating the experience of using these lenses. And that has been the glue that has kept this thread alive for so long. Clearly, our interests vary, from those who dabble in MF to those for whom it is by far the preferred way to do photography. There is room for all of us. All that is truly needed to enjoy this thread, is a willingness to appreciate the efforts of other photographers and to be kind to one another. You're more than welcome to spend some time with us David. This is a great way to spend retirement...

Happy shopping. Kit building is forever, regardless of what is added and what is sold from a kit.

franche63
Total Posts: 22

great picture!

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3777

From the Palais Royal with the 50 1.8 :

Ronny Olsson

@ F2

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Here's a couple shots with the 300mm 4.5 EDIF plus the TC-14A

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Curtis beautiful roses. I really love the light and shadows.
Chuong you dinner looks delicious!
Phillippe beautiful lighting and timing.
Ronny what a lovely portrait!

Ronny Olsson

Wow! Love what set Ray.. Great work

Great shot Phillipe

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm going to post this both here and on the Shooting with Tubes thread in the Macro World. This was taken with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a 36mm Vivitar tube attached... low light, wide open, hand held in manual mode... a rose that has appeared here before in my 135mm texts shots.

Lovely image, I really like how it fades into blackness

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

Chuong - I like the composition of your supper!

Ronny - Beautiful tube work with the Dragonfly images. Not to mention the nice portrait of your daughter. I bet you have your hands full with the guys coming around.

Philippe - Always cool to see mirrored images. I've never had the opportunity to try that.

Ray - Great set, number 2 really does it for me.

Ronny Olsson

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Ronny Olsson

Thanks Leigthon
NoNo! No guys!!
Well there are a few who usually run here .. My lovely daughter (when she's asleep) her name is Thea

pburke
Total Posts: 3008

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here's a couple shots with the 300mm 4.5 EDIF plus the TC-14A

great shots - and remind me of the fact I won't get a replacement for my TC-16a for another 10 days

LarryM
Total Posts: 426

I tried to get involved with this group about 6 months ago but fate had other plans for me. I experienced a bad reaction to a medicine that put me out of commission for a few months.

In the meantime I sorted through my photo files for MF Nikon stuff and found a few.

This is from a Kodachrome slide shot in 1974 with a Nikkormat and 20mm f/3.5 Nikkor.

I hope to be more active in the future.

Larry

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

LarryM wrote:
I tried to get involved with this group about 6 months ago but fate had other plans for me. I experienced a bad reaction to a medicine that put me out of commission for a few months.

In the meantime I sorted through my photo files for MF Nikon stuff and found a few.

This is from a Kodachrome slide shot in 1974 with a Nikkormat and 20mm f/3.5 Nikkor.

Larry

Welcome or welcome back, Larry!
Very cool photograph above! Hope to see some "fresh" pictures and rarities from your files too soon.

Ronny Olsson

georgms wrote:
LarryM wrote:

Larry

Welcome or welcome back, Larry!
Very cool photograph above! Hope to see some "fresh" pictures and rarities from your files too soon.

+1

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

1       2       3              2799      
       2801              5889       5890       end