Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2798

1       2       3              2798      
       2800              5887       5888       end

pburke
Total Posts: 3003

get a monopod, Curtis - it will open up new avenues to spend money on glass.

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5059

Great shot Peter in Wi,Dean and Georg.. Nice set !!

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

pburke wrote:
get a monopod, Curtis - it will open up new avenues to spend money on glass.

I bought one that I use with the 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF and the 500 f/8 Reflex. It is great. But the other issue with long glass is price. Unlike you folks taking home a big paycheck, I'm retired living on a fixed income. I'd have to want a lens a GREAT DEAL to spend the kind of money demanded for a 200 f/2 AI-s, 500 f/4P or the gorgeous lens you just picked up. I'm content with the 300 f/4.5 and 400 f/5.6 that are more in my price range. They are also excellent performers. I'm not a birder or into shooting sports, so I really don't need longer. Even the 200 f/2 for all its brilliance, is less essential given how great the 180 f/2.8 is. But kit building is forever, so what do I know... Right Laura?

Ronny's shot above makes the point about the 180. It is a very special lens that can be bought for little more than a song. And the one I own, my second copy, is pristine.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4209

Ronny _Olsson wrote:

NIKKOR 180mm f/2.8 ED AI-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Ronny, This is a fantastic image BUT as I'm about to go to bed I'll have nightmares about this dragonfly which makes an attack helicopter look benign!. Great work.

huddy
Total Posts: 1886

Thank you all for the compliments. It's definitely a favorite shot of mine and I know that Eli will enjoy it as time goes on.

For those who might be interested, the time has come to pass along my 28/2 AI. I find that I just can't focus lenses wider than 35mm accurately on my D700 anymore. If anyone is interested, let me know. I also have a matrix metering chip for the lens from Bjorn Rorslett that I haven't installed. PM me if you are interested, I will be putting it up on the B&S later on.

Ronny Olsson

Thanks Peter

The picture looks almost to be a little over sharpened ... blame it on flickr

huddy
Total Posts: 1886

Laura, it's lovely to see someone here making B&W prints! Keep up the good work!

Curtis, your kit keeps growing and I'm afraid mine keeps going backwards. Once my 28 departs, I'll be down to 3 MF Nikkors from a high of 9. The 3 that I have aren't going anywhere though (50/1.2, 105/2.5, 180/2.8 ED).

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Chuong, lovely shot of your kids in the trolley! Can I assume that you're the "tractor" most of the time ? The goats-image is hilarious!

Dean, very nice set from the Dragon Boat race! For the race I've shot last week the boat-owners (clubs) removed the dragons heads and tails, they were afraid that the school-kids would drive them off...

Rafael, wow, what a nice set of lenses!

Jose, thanks for sharing the results of your bokeh-battle! I wonder how the 50/1.4 might fit in - maybe I have to try to set up a similar test ;-)

Peter from Madison, your fine picture of the Warthog illustrates very nicely why the A10 got its nick-name ;-)

Ronny, amazing detail and clarity on your dragonfly-shot!

Tomislav, welcome! Very colorful 1st posting!

georgms

raboof wrote:
Jose - So how did you get the oval bokeh shapes to come up circular from the wide-open shot with the 1.2 AIS?
Looks like it gets more "ovalized" as they move away from the center...

Chuong, many superfast lenses show oval highlights at the border, it's just a guess, but I assume it's some kind of internal mechanical vignetting. Most new superfast lenses have much larger frontelements than the fairly compact older lenses. Canon's EF 50/1.2 as example or it's old brother, the 50/1.0, sports a really large frontelement.

georgms

kwoodard wrote:
georgms wrote:
Here's an image I took yesterday at a documentation- and memorial center in a former detention awaiting jail-house of the infamous and feared "Stasi":
D3s at ISO6400, 20/3.5Ais at f/8, 1/25sec, handheld
I have always weird feelings about shooting there: doing "artsy" photography just for fun feels like being disrespectful towards the victims of the "Stasi".
But I couldn't resist yesterday to snap some images like the one above.

My great grandfather was at this location (I believe) because he was an officer attempting to help Jews avoid his team of sweepers and was eventually caught.

Kevin, I think you eventually mix up the East-German "Stasi" and the secret police of Nazi-Germany ("Gestapo"). This former jailhouse (detention awaiting jail) was built in the late 1950-years and belonged to the Stasi.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4678

Ronny _Olsson wrote:

Love it! How close were you or is there liberal cropping?

georgms

Ronny, Dean, Mihai, Kevin, Samy, Laura, Peter from Knysna and Jose - thanks for your comments on my recently posted images!

Mihai, I'm really glad that the surgery went well and that you're pain-free now. I hope the rehab isn't too hard ;-)
I'm really touched reading your words - thank you! All the best from the northern part of our village, and I hope to see your "flood of fine photographs" as soon as possible.

CGrindahl

I'm going to post this both here and on the Shooting with Tubes thread in the Macro World. This was taken with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a 36mm Vivitar tube attached... low light, wide open, hand held in manual mode... a rose that has appeared here before in my 135mm texts shots.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2484

Mishu01 wrote:
Recovering from my hip surgery I am driven crazy because of this thread... You give me so much pain because I can't join you and because I'm away of my gear and of my desktop PC. I'm full of envy but one day this will change and I promise to flood this thread with pictures: good, bad and ugly . This because by this time you raised the bar so high that I can't play at this level. Kudos to you dear friends!

I !

Good that you are getting better, looking forward to your full comeback

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2484

CGrindahl wrote:
Rafael, I can't allow your rather breathtaking collection of lenses to pass without comment. Amazing! I'll never catch up with you for the simple reason you have a number of wide lenses that are beautiful to behold, expensive to buy that don't really suit the way I shoot. 20mm is about as far as I comfortably go though I occasionally enjoy slapping the fisheye on the camera for a bit of play. You also go long with a few lenses that are intriguing but not compelling, at least at the moment. For me the biggest drawback of long lenses is size and weight. 1200 grams for a 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF is doable, but 2200 grams for the 50-300 f/4.5 is more than I can comfortably handle without a tripod and I seem to have an allergy against tripods... So like everyone else here I'll simply be a fan of your amazing collection of lenses. Beautiful!

Curtis,
The main reason that I have all those lenses is that I am a cheapskate, meaning I like to buy cheap but good stuff. Always bought used in stores, made friends in the 80s that still work in the local stores. only now they do not have anything to sell me , they used to call me when an old bargain lens became available. I did not want to buy expensive AF lenses, and kept buying cheap used manual focus lenses, I was the $200 man, my 50 1.2, 20 3.5, 35 1.4, 28 2, etc were $200, I would buy anything under $200 every few months.

When DX digital came around, that depressed MF FX prices even more, particularly wide angles, and I kept buying, it seemed to me a real bargain that I could find a $1500 15mm for $500, 50-300 ED and 80-200 ED zooms for $500, when they were $2500 new, and so on. The most expensive lens I ever bought was the 8mm for $1800. which is the current price for a 24-70mm zoom. I dont have 85 1.4s or 135 2s because those never became bargains. All in all we all travel a different path, but the fun is in the journey.

To me an interesting lesson in all of this is that I derived as much or more fun from finding and using a perrfect $75 5cm 2.0 S, as what I attained with the $1800 8mm or other expensive lenses.

Also the current Nikon FX cameras produce such enjoyable images with these lenses!

I am at the point of turning around this collection. including all the other ai and ais lenses, and reduce it to a lesser more focused selection, that will be my next entertaintment. I will buy first, then sell. When it is all said and done, I would have made money, not lost it, great pastime!

15mm up close by Rafael CA, on Flickr

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

I am having pho today.

28mm f2.8 AIS

Ronny Olsson

Tkanks

Kevin:without crop .. looks like I need to clean the sensor
was at minimum focusing distance with this tube approximately 0.95 m

CGrindahl

I appreciate everything you have to say Rafael. I'm delighted that you've chosen to become more involved in this thread precisely because of the history you bring to these conversations. My limit initially was $300 and I was able to accumulate quite a few lenses keeping the price in that region. In fact, I believe eight of my lenses have cost less than a hundred dollars and a great many less than two hundred. It was only when I sold the last five of my Canon L lenses that I stepped up and paid the then market price for the 105 f/1.8, 85 f/1.4, 35 f/1.4, 28 f/2 and 135 f/2. The last of those lenses is the most expensive I've bought and that was $625 for a pristine copy of an AI-s lens.

I agree with all you say... the journey is much enriched because we get good deals, but it really is in using these lenses on modern DSLR cameras, especially FX cameras that satisfies the soul.

I'm curious what you mean about "turning around this collection..." Perhaps at some time you'll want to share your thoughts on what that might look like. Have you been seduced by Zeiss or Leica or something else? Inquiring minds want to know...

CGrindahl

Very nice Chuong... wonderful photo but even more delicious looking food. If I hadn't just eaten a great Mexican meal I'd certainly have a watering mouth.

adh67
Total Posts: 561

CGrindahl wrote:
I'm going to post this both here and on the Shooting with Tubes thread in the Macro World. This was taken with the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF with a 36mm Vivitar tube attached... low light, wide open, hand held in manual mode... a rose that has appeared here before in my 135mm texts shots.

Beautiful light and composition.

Bert

1       2       3              2798      
       2800              5887       5888       end