Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2797

1       2       3              2797      
       2799              5884       5885       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4676

Where are you folks sending your lenses to be CLA'd? How much does it usually cost?

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

parabellumfoto wrote:

The Nikkor 50mm F2

I don't know whether this thread can tolerate TWO participants from Sydney, but we'll try... Welcome Tomislav to our humble assemblage. I note you are new to Fred Miranda and clearly new to this thread. Like you, we are committed to manual focus lenses. We are having an ongoing conversation about these lenses and always welcome other who share out excitement in using them. So welcome. Sharing photos is always a delight, but we also enjoy a conversation on the subject of photography, especially when we talk about MF lenses. Welcome!

Oosty
Total Posts: 4208

Thanks for the positive feedback on my 50 f2 shots.

Ray - the light at this time of the year is lovely and soft with quite pronounced shadows even at midday.

Dean - we are lucky with the country but the bureaucrats are lazy, incompetent and disinterested ... as you're finding out! Because a corrupt official sold a bunch of blank passports, we now have to get visas, at great expense and inconvenience, for nearly every country in the world! However this introduces us to other countries bureaucrats who are, yup, lazy, incompetent and disinterested!

Georg - you'd love SA and we welcome visitors. The lens question has been answered by the experts already

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9297

Yes, I have, unfortunately my participation at the beginning was a bit limited since I'd just had shoulder surgery. The promise really is "Just one more lens and then I'll stop..."

CGrindahl wrote:
You've got my number Laura... You've been around here much too long...

Yet, truth be told... at some point in time there really WON'T be any more lenses to buy... I'll own them all...

As so long as i don't go too wide or too long...

NightOwl Cat

Thanks Curtis, but this woman is tackling something far more challenging. Hope she passes on the first try. Working on my self portrait shots now, but those won't get posted...

CGrindahl wrote:
Laura, you are my hero. Going back to school as an adult is challenging in itself, but to be tackling a subject as challenging as film photography is very impressive. I love both these photos. Keep em coming...

Oosty
Total Posts: 4208

Georg - you are a master of the PC. You also show why prison is a good place to keep out of!

Laura - congrats on rteally good film work. It will be interesting to hear your take on the impact on your digital work, if any.

Chuong - the most valuable possessions are in the cart - look after them! I like the goats!

Dean - really good separation in the dragon boat series. It's so easy to mess these up with too much DOF.

Jose - very nice comparative shots. Really useful.

NightOwl Cat

Georg, I can't say that I blame you for the weird feelings when taking photos there. I'd have the same feelings, like the spirits of those that suffered there were watching.

georgms wrote:
Here's an image I took yesterday at a documentation- and memorial center in a former detention awaiting jail-house of the infamous and feared "Stasi":

D3s at ISO6400, 20/3.5Ais at f/8, 1/25sec, handheld
I have always weird feelings about shooting there: doing "artsy" photography just for fun feels like being disrespectful towards the victims of the "Stasi".
But I couldn't resist yesterday to snap some images like the one above.

Thanks Georg, the enlargers at school are definitely well used and abused, we have to carry blue painters' tape to cover the area around the negative carrier cause they leak light so bad. I'm going to revisit that shot from the tower later to burn the sky a little better.

georgms wrote:
Laura, these ^^prints look even better than the first one (the view from the tower)! Love the real sloppy borders

Curtis, thanks again. My English is just a robbed-together mix of phrases (in the best case stolen from Monty-Python-movies, in the worst case borrowed from Monty-Python-movies too ;-).

NightOwl Cat

Dean, this last one reminds me of school. Currently, the interstate highway that runs by the west end of school is under construction, and they have a pile driver going. I can really hear and feel it during Yoga and Tai Chi classes, but I can also hear it in my A&P class as well. Rather than curse the pounding, I incorporate it when it happens during yoga.

deang001 wrote:
Big day in HK today ... the annual Dragon Boat holiday with lots of racing all over the place. I only had an hour or so, but went down to Stanley Beach pretty early this morning and grabbed a few with the 180/2.8.

DSC_7993 by deang0001, on Flickr

NightOwl Cat

Chuong, very cute! (looks for the

" target="_blank">Shriner Convention signs)

raboof wrote:
28mm f2.8 AIS

NightOwl Cat

Tomislav, Nicely done Lorikeet on the D3200, and welcome to FM, glad to note that your first two posts on FM are here

parabellumfoto wrote:

The Nikkor 50mm F2

saph
Total Posts: 3699

That is a superb image by Dean with the 180. I haven't had much time to browse through the pages so just checking out the last couple to stay somewhat plugged in.

Laura, if you can do meditation while there's a piledriver going on in the streets outside, you are surely mastering it!

Georg, saw someone comment on the Stasi prison photo. Very evocative and I can not even imagine the eerie feeling just walking through it, leave alone bringing back an image.

Chuong, the perched goats against the blue sky is a very pleasant sight.

Impressive lens collections all. And for anyone who says they are done, just look at Rafael's immaculate lineups

NightOwl Cat

Shimon. very cute, although the mouse ending up as a dog treat doesn't sound too good for the mouse. My cats are all indoor cats, so the only time any of them have seen a mouse is when we had a few get in from outside. One of my cats turned out to be a very efficient mouser.

shmn wrote:
My favorite all-time lens, which spends the most time on my body, is the Micro-NIKKOR 105mm 2.8 manual focus lens. Bought it in the early 90s to use on my F4 but now I use it on my D300.

Sharp and contrasty. Beautiful rendition. Great all purpose lens and exceptional at macro work (using the PN-11 to achieve 1:1). I love the feel of the focus ring plus the metal body exudes reliability and toughness. I have a lot of newer lenses but this is my favorite. I thought about buying the newer version but I can't imagine it has better optical quality than this baby...especially since it has VR.

Manual focusing isn't as easy as it was on the F4, but I can usually get the job done with the D300. Here's a shot of my cat "playing" with her little friend.

Mishu01
Total Posts: 2444

Recovering from my hip surgery I am driven crazy because of this thread... You give me so much pain because I can't join you and because I'm away of my gear and of my desktop PC. I'm full of envy but one day this will change and I promise to flood this thread with pictures: good, bad and ugly . This because by this time you raised the bar so high that I can't play at this level. Kudos to you dear friends!

I want to thank you for all good wishes regarding my surgery. It happen the other Monday and it went incredible smooth. I was almost free of pain all of this time and at this time I already walk with the support of two aluminium "sticks". For six weeks I can't fully use the right leg but it is unbelievable good to exercise it without pain / no pain killers at all are administrated since last Tuesday.

Believe me or not I was away of this thread only for 24 hrs it is addictive to see what happen. And because there was too much action and I can't really comprehend it in my comments... I just wanna tell you that lately my favorite contributor is Georg Not only because we live in the same village (EU), also we were raised on the same side of the Iron Curtain, sharing the same fear about the quality of our East-European English ... but because his pictures are truly special, telling every time a nice story! Thanks Georg for all your contribution!

leighton w
Total Posts: 12614

No time to comment on all the wonderful work and conversation. Just long enough to say welcome to Tomislav, and to tell Mihai that I'm glad everything looks good for his recovery and hurry back!

pburke
Total Posts: 3003

Not a goat, but a warthog - another one from last year, since I haven't had much time to shoot or even check in. Looks like everyone here found their AF lenses and re-united with Monty on the other thread

300mm f4.5 EDIF on D7000

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Rather than curse the pounding, I incorporate it when it happens during yoga.

Hey Laura ... what an excellent outlook you have

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

georgms wrote:
Here's an image I took yesterday at a documentation- and memorial center in a former detention awaiting jail-house of the infamous and feared "Stasi":

I have always weird feelings about shooting there: doing "artsy" photography just for fun feels like being disrespectful towards the victims of the "Stasi".

Nice shot, Georg ... would not want to be stuck there for very long. The Stasi were not particularly nice.

CGrindahl

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Shimon. very cute, although the mouse ending up as a dog treat doesn't sound too good for the mouse. My cats are all indoor cats, so the only time any of them have seen a mouse is when we had a few get in from outside. One of my cats turned out to be a very efficient mouser.

shmn wrote:
My favorite all-time lens, which spends the most time on my body, is the Micro-NIKKOR 105mm 2.8 manual focus lens. Bought it in the early 90s to use on my F4 but now I use it on my D300.

Sharp and contrasty. Beautiful rendition. Great all purpose lens and exceptional at macro work (using the PN-11 to achieve 1:1). I love the feel of the focus ring plus the metal body exudes reliability and toughness. I have a lot of newer lenses but this is my favorite. I thought about buying the newer version but I can't imagine it has better optical quality than this baby...especially since it has VR.

Manual focusing isn't as easy as it was on the F4, but I can usually get the job done with the D300. Here's a shot of my cat "playing" with her little friend.

Did I miss something here? This is the SECOND post on this thread and was made August 22, 2010. How did it come to be revived here, now? What's up Laura?

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4676

georgms wrote:

My great grandfather was at this location (I believe) because he was an officer attempting to help Jews avoid his team of sweepers and was eventually caught.

CGrindahl

Rafael, I can't allow your rather breathtaking collection of lenses to pass without comment. Amazing! I'll never catch up with you for the simple reason you have a number of wide lenses that are beautiful to behold, expensive to buy that don't really suit the way I shoot. 20mm is about as far as I comfortably go though I occasionally enjoy slapping the fisheye on the camera for a bit of play. You also go long with a few lenses that are intriguing but not compelling, at least at the moment. For me the biggest drawback of long lenses is size and weight. 1200 grams for a 400 f/5.6 AI-s ED-IF is doable, but 2200 grams for the 50-300 f/4.5 is more than I can comfortably handle without a tripod and I seem to have an allergy against tripods... So like everyone else here I'll simply be a fan of your amazing collection of lenses. Beautiful!

1       2       3              2797      
       2799              5884       5885       end