Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2794

1       2       3              2794      
       2796              4067       4068       end

Oosty
Total Posts: 4016

MDoc9523 wrote:
This home was built on the premiss that there is a sucker born every minute.

He understood human nature alright!

saph
Total Posts: 2258

Cool looking little lens Rafael, fits like a cap on the D800E. It looks like the 45s are among the lightest of the Nikon lenses.

http://destoutz.ch/lens_45mm_f2.8_763981.html

The recent spate of 45 images has been fun.

John is having such a good tine with the 45mm, I might just have to use mine.

Nikon Nikkor GN 45mm 2.8 C non ai HN4 D800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Oosty
Total Posts: 4016

rafaelcasd wrote:

John is having such a good tine with the 45mm, I might just have to use mine.

Nikon Nikkor GN 45mm 2.8 C non ai HN4 D800 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This lens looks so pathetically inadequate on that camera - this must be the reason for all the huge zooms. Just to restore ones masculinity!

Looks good to me though....

saph
Total Posts: 2258

Very nice demo of spot metering Curtis.

And the 105 2.5P is overcoming my recent resistance to temptation.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2543

kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
My brother and I took a little road trip to Arcadia and Sarasota yesterday. Had a great time talking about old times and taking photos. The first two photos are from Arcadia, which is well known for it's antique shoppes. Taken using the D600 and 16mm 3.5

I really like this one.

+1

Ray, was this one "defished"?

asiostygius

kwoodard wrote:
This is a first for me... I never post the JPG that come straight out of the camera, but here are three. Taken with the 80-200/4.5 AI with the addition of a PK13. All images are -.7EV as it was noon sun, so the color isn't as I like. I won't have ACR access until I get home. Will play with them a little there, but I don't think they will need much.

_DSC7879 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC7848 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Kevin, another spetacular set, loved these two.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2196

Great shot everyone!!

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

asiostygius

MDoc9523 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
...Curtis, beautiful scalloped collection, but I think you need this beauty to have a more complete collection :

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2012/03/10/nikkor-q-200mm-f4-lens/
http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_200mm_f4_598528.html

It is definitely a gorgeous lens but the 4 elements in 4 groups does not stir Bjorn's juices. While the later versions from K through AI-s are given very high marks 4.5 to 5, the earlier lens is given a 2.5. I'm not certain it is a very sensible investment. I love the old lenses, but function matters to me more than form. The pre-AI lenses now in my kit all perform exceptionally well, the best of form and function. That is why my buying days might be over...

Curtis, though Bjorn is generally spot on about lens evaluations, in this particular case I have to disagree (perhaps I was lucky with a good copy, or it would be the multicoating of the QC?):
Even though I have the 200/4 Q.C for a short time, shooting side by side with the 200/4 ais revealed to me virtually no difference. I made no formal test (perhaps I will perform one this weekend ), but apparently sharpness is equal and the only slight, really slight difference could be that wide open the QC has a little bit more CA in harsh light conditions - easily fixed in PP though. At smaller apertures simply there is no difference at 100% pixel peeping.
The other difference is that the older lens is IMHO better constructed (including the built in hood - firm and not loose) and feels better in my hands than the ais version.

You're NOT HELPING Jose... The 200 like the 20 is not a focal length I turn to. On the wide end I'm so mesmerized by the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd that I probably won't use the 20 f/2.8 AI-s until/unless I take a trip to an urban environment where I really need to get wide. At the longer end, the 180 f/2.8 AI-s in in a league of its own. Yes, it is bigger and heavier but it is faster and bitingly sharp wide open. I'd likely go to that lens and if I wanted longer it would most often be the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF.

I'll never say never when it comes to these lenses, but...

This morning I did a bit of shooting with my recently acquired and converted 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. I've no idea what motivated Nikon to switch from the Sonnar design and move to Gauss. This old lens is rather thrilling to use. Here is a shot of a flower without an extension tube shot hand held at f/2.5 followed by a close shot of the same flower taken with the PK-13 attached. These were shot at a local nursery, which on Fridays takes a huge delivery of flowers for sale over the weekend. It is a great time to stop by and take a few photos.

Did I miss the news on how this lens got AI'D? Last I heard you were going to swap the aperture ring from your previous version. Did you end up doing this yourself? inquiring minds want to know.

Ray, speaking of DIY, lately I am preferring to maintain the original aperture ring on the older lenses, so I did a DIY job with the 200 QC. In the last 2 images you can see the result, not a pro job, but easy enough to be done by anyone (including me!).
This site has excellent instructions about the conversion:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/02/06/nikkor-ai-conversions-diy/

These are some side by side images of the QC ai'd (left) and the AI-S versions of the 200mm f/4.

Nikkors 200mm f/4, AI-S & non-AI Q.C versions by labecoaves, on Flickr

Nikkor 200mm f/4 AI-S & non-ai Q.C versions (blades) by labecoaves, on Flickr

Nikkor 200mm f/4 AI-S & non-ai Q.C versions (back) by labecoaves, on Flickr

Nikkor 200mm f/4 ais and non-ai Q.C versions (aperture & focusing rings detail) by labecoaves, on Flickr

All images taken with the D600 + Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 ais.

asiostygius

CGrindahl wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
...Curtis, beautiful scalloped collection, but I think you need this beauty to have a more complete collection :

Picasa screwed up the keywords. This WAS shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd at f/8. Neither shot was cropped.

Curtis, these are stunning!

asiostygius

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Great shot everyone!!

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Another stunning flower image!
You guys are outdoing yourselves with these magnific flower sets!

asiostygius

Thanks Mihai, Georg, Scott, Ray and Samy for the comments.

Kevin excellent focus stacking and another killer flower sets!

Rafael, I am looking forward your images with the old 200 QC;

John, liked the blue still life.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12780

Thanks Jose.

You're upping the ante with photos of lenses that look so beautiful. I've been agonizing over whether to go shopping for a 200 Q.C. but I think I'll constrain myself for the moment. But that surely is a beautiful lens Jose. I may have to let you become the official devil of this thread...

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2720

saph wrote:
Even Mommy Longlegs may go into shock when she sees that "EEEEK that couldn't be mine!!!"

Terrific start with focus stacking Kevin. The 28 Series E was reversed I presume?

Samy

MarkdV wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
My first focus stack! 7 images. Series E 28/2.8 @ f/5.6 in front of a PK13 (27.5mm) extension tube which yields a magnification of 2.6:1. This is a vertical crop of a horizontal image, about 30%

Daddy long legs...

A face only a mother could love. Amazing work Kevin.

Yes, the 28mm is reversed. I forgot to mention that bit. Thanks for catching it!

georgms
Total Posts: 3298

Ronny, excellent flower-shot with the 135/2 and tube!

Kevin, the "Daddy long legs"-shot is impressive, to say the least. Wow!
And I really like the "Pretty Weed" - the light works great here and the picture looks almost 3D-esque ;-)

John, I like the low-tide-shot a lot. Love your point of view on the mystery cable anchor.

Rafael, great set from the car- and bike-show! The first shot is my personal favorite - and the "soft glowing" rendering of the 55/1.2 on the very last image reminds me a bit of my old Leica Summarit-M 50/1.5.

Ray, great job on the mansion (or is it called a "crib" today?)!

Mark, I'm sure the "Meise" will see some fresh green very soon. The last snow-leftovers are finally gone over here.

Samy, nice comparison between 20/3.5 UD and the 24/2.8! My own 20/3.5UD has a kinda "milky" spot on the front-lens, maybe I'll try a local repairman to clean it. What I really like on the 24/2.8 is the very even, soft vignetting at the wider apertures.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2720

asiostygius wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
asiostygius wrote:

It is definitely a gorgeous lens but the 4 elements in 4 groups does not stir Bjorn's juices. While the later versions from K through AI-s are given very high marks 4.5 to 5, the earlier lens is given a 2.5. I'm not certain it is a very sensible investment. I love the old lenses, but function matters to me more than form. The pre-AI lenses now in my kit all perform exceptionally well, the best of form and function. That is why my buying days might be over...

Curtis, though Bjorn is generally spot on about lens evaluations, in this particular case I have to disagree (perhaps I was lucky with a good copy, or it would be the multicoating of the QC?):
Even though I have the 200/4 Q.C for a short time, shooting side by side with the 200/4 ais revealed to me virtually no difference. I made no formal test (perhaps I will perform one this weekend ), but apparently sharpness is equal and the only slight, really slight difference could be that wide open the QC has a little bit more CA in harsh light conditions - easily fixed in PP though. At smaller apertures simply there is no difference at 100% pixel peeping.
The other difference is that the older lens is IMHO better constructed (including the built in hood - firm and not loose) and feels better in my hands than the ais version.

You're NOT HELPING Jose... The 200 like the 20 is not a focal length I turn to. On the wide end I'm so mesmerized by the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd that I probably won't use the 20 f/2.8 AI-s until/unless I take a trip to an urban environment where I really need to get wide. At the longer end, the 180 f/2.8 AI-s in in a league of its own. Yes, it is bigger and heavier but it is faster and bitingly sharp wide open. I'd likely go to that lens and if I wanted longer it would most often be the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF.

I'll never say never when it comes to these lenses, but...

This morning I did a bit of shooting with my recently acquired and converted 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. I've no idea what motivated Nikon to switch from the Sonnar design and move to Gauss. This old lens is rather thrilling to use. Here is a shot of a flower without an extension tube shot hand held at f/2.5 followed by a close shot of the same flower taken with the PK-13 attached. These were shot at a local nursery, which on Fridays takes a huge delivery of flowers for sale over the weekend. It is a great time to stop by and take a few photos.

Did I miss the news on how this lens got AI'D? Last I heard you were going to swap the aperture ring from your previous version. Did you end up doing this yourself? inquiring minds want to know.

Ray, speaking of DIY, lately I am preferring to maintain the original aperture ring on the older lenses, so I did a DIY job with the 200 QC. In the last 2 images you can see the result, not a pro job, but easy enough to be done by anyone (including me!).
This site has excellent instructions about the conversion:
http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/02/06/nikkor-ai-conversions-diy/

These are some side by side images of the QC ai'd (left) and the AI-S versions of the 200mm f/4.

Nikkors 200mm f/4, AI-S & non-AI Q.C versions by labecoaves, on Flickr

Nikkor 200mm f/4 AI-S & non-ai Q.C versions (blades) by labecoaves, on Flickr

Nikkor 200mm f/4 AI-S & non-ai Q.C versions (back) by labecoaves, on Flickr

Nikkor 200mm f/4 ais and non-ai Q.C versions (aperture & focusing rings detail) by labecoaves, on Flickr

All images taken with the D600 + Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 ais.

Was it hard to do? I have two lenses that I want to do this on. One should be easy as I have multiple lenses with the same max aperture. The other one is a f/1.4 so I would be guessing a bit. Help!!!

georgms

CGrindahl wrote:
Thanks Georg. Always a delight to ramble through a nursery filled with flowers.

Love your photo with the underlying story of an arts organization "under the gun..." to use one phrase for describing their situation. I've no idea what it is like to be a photographer given assignments and then needing to consider how best to tell a story through images. Obviously, you're very skilled at producing well crafted images, but you also have a knack for finding a captivating point of view. You say you may at times try to hard to be creative, but that is much better than getting lazy about such things. I'm not certain what I'd be shooting if I expected of myself that I would always be looking for something fresh to shoot. Often, what could become boring is refreshed by a new lens with which to play. That was surely what the arrival of Nikki meant. The same happens with each lens added to my kit. It also helps to visit new environs since as wonderful as home is, finding a fresh perspective is always a challenge. Sunday I'll join a friend at a baseball game her nine year old son will be playing in. I'll try my hand and a bit of sports photography... something you know a bit about as well. I'll resist the temptation to bring an AF lens to see how well I can handle zone focusing... I learn by doing.

Curtis, thanks! Yes, "playing" with new gear (lenses, but also other tools like the Nikon V1 or flash-stuff) is one receipt to re-invent or re-think given subjects. I've gone through several phases - the "strobist"-phase, the super-wide-phase, the shallow-DoF-phase and lately I just try to mix it all ;-)
The tilt-shift-lenses are amazing in their capabilities and the PC 85/2.8D is one of my favorite lenses right now.
I hope you'll find a good place to capture the baseball-game.

georgms

MDoc9523 wrote:
Georg what an interesting shot. The tilt shift lenses are amazing and you have given us an example of how good this lens can be - well done!

Thank you, Ray (and Jeff too)! The people at the paper liked my crazy idea and the resulting "shot" too and it was printed in a good size.

mp356
Total Posts: 4203

MarkdV wrote:
One from this morning, 180mm+TC201 just under 10 meters and about 50% crop of the image. Yes, late April and yet more snow. Helps with the birds though since they come where the food is.

Nice image Mark. We had snow flurries here today too. Not as much as you though.

mp356

kwoodard wrote:
So following Curtis' urging, I took the 80-200/4.5 out with the PK13. Very fun combo, brings the lens more into what I would use it for! Not selling it now...

Nice series Kevin.

mp356

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Great shot everyone!!

Beautiful Ronny! Great background.

1       2       3              2794      
       2796              4067       4068       end