Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2792

1       2       3              2792      
       2794              5885       5886       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 12616

huddy wrote:
Just finished the school year up. It's nice to have a few minutes to breathe! I'll probably be shooting my Nikons a lot more now as the mirror in my P67 flew off of its assembly while shooting a few days ago.

I suppose I should play the role of the devil. Here are some lovely lenses at nice prices:

28/2.8 AI-S
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1217827

35/2 AI-S (really good price for a clean copy)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1217078/0?keyword=35,AI-S#11592352

I also need to get some shots to post up to. It's good to see all of the new faces around, and so many great shots in the last several pages!

Nice to see you Alan, don't be a stranger.

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Now I want to get myself a second 28mm, Alan.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4676

leighton w wrote:
Curtis - Thanks so much for this. It confirms my worst fear! If I'm to buy a 135mm one day it'll have to be the f2, although the Q.C. to my eye, looks like it took second place. It's amazing how close they all are.

I wonder how the Series E 135/2.8 would fit into this grouping? I would feel safe betting that it is similar to the Q.C. I think they are the same design. I am still really thinking of going all Series E lenses (to be different) with a smattering of AI or AI'd older lenses in the mix.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

A bit of bokeh play for Leighton with the newly arrived 135 f/2.8 K AI'd, all shot wide open.

And rather that prolong the agony... a few more...

At minimum focusing distance.

This lens is no slouch when it comes to either sharpness wide open or bokeh created... for 1/4th the price of a 135 f/2 AI-s...

leighton w

Beautiful examples Curtis, you'd be hard pressed to tell which 135 took these. Hmmm... Now, do the same thing with the 50-135mm at 135 wide open.

CGrindahl

leighton w wrote:
Beautiful examples Curtis, you'd be hard pressed to tell which 135 took these. Hmmm... Now, do the same thing with the 50-135mm at 135 wide open.

At your command... that is one of the nice things about having so many lenses in my kit... I recommend it to my friends...

First the K, then the zoom...

Not too shabby... but then you and I have always been big fans of the 50-135 f/3.5 AI-s.

leighton w

Hey thanks Curtis! You're right, not too shabby, not too shabby at all! I knew I loved this lens for a reason.

CGrindahl

You don't need no stinking prime lens...

kwoodard

CGrindahl wrote:
leighton w wrote:

At your command... that is one of the nice things about having so many lenses in my kit... I recommend it to my friends...

First the K, then the zoom...

Not too shabby... but then you and I have always been big fans of the 50-135 f/3.5 AI-s.

Wow, I can hardly tell a difference.

CGrindahl

kwoodard wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Curtis - Thanks so much for this. It confirms my worst fear! If I'm to buy a 135mm one day it'll have to be the f2, although the Q.C. to my eye, looks like it took second place. It's amazing how close they all are.

I wonder how the Series E 135/2.8 would fit into this grouping? I would feel safe betting that it is similar to the Q.C. I think they are the same design. I am still really thinking of going all Series E lenses (to be different) with a smattering of AI or AI'd older lenses in the mix.

There is no doubt that value for money the Series E lenses are worth considering. Of course, the price differential between Series E 135mm and Nikkor lenses is negligible. A cursory check on E-Bay shows most Series E lenses at this length are MORE expensive than either the Q.C. or K lenses I bought. Frankly, given the choice between a consumer grade Series E lens and a professional grade Nikkor is not a choice at all, at least for me. The same can be said for most lenses, in part because there is so little interest in these MF lenses. I bought a 50 f/1.8 AI-s for $46. I couldn't buy a Series E for less than that. I paid $79 for a 75-150 Series E and $95 for the 50-135 Nikkor lens and $76 for a 80-200 f/4.5 AI that originally sold for $700. I sold the Series E lens because I much preferred shooting with the more substantial lenses.

If you can pick up Series E lenses at a great price they're not a bad place to begin building a kit, especially on a tight budget. But you can also consider buying pre-AI lenses and converting them yourself. There are some very cheap lenses out there waiting for some enterprising person with a file to get to work... The important thing is to have MF lenses you can mount on your camera and take into the field. We love the lenses because we shoot with them. You do that very well Kevin.

leighton w

leighton w wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:

kwoodard wrote:

You KNOW you need one.

oregonboy1969
Total Posts: 10

Yea baby, the 105 f4 micro showed up today and I am LOVING it so far, coupled with my pn-11 it is awesome. So now I have four MF lenses and I am trying to get a 600 f5.6 if budget allows, AFS be darned !

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

oregonboy1969 wrote:
Yea baby, the 105 f4 micro showed up today and I am LOVING it so far, coupled with my pn-11 it is awesome. So now I have four MF lenses and I am trying to get a 600 f5.6 if budget allows, AFS be darned !

Congrats, Wade! The 105/4 Micro is for sure an overlooked and underrated lens. I love my copy, it's a great performer. Hope you'll find a 600/5.6 soon!

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

CGrindahl wrote:
In my responsibility as chief instigator of Nikon Manual Focus Acquisition Syndrome, I feel obliged to post this so that Leighton and Chin can find the inspiration to spend more money...

The 135 f/2.8 K AI'd arrived last Friday from Japan and I picked it up this morning shortly after the post office opened. First, I'd observe that the seller did the best job of packaging I've ever seen. Although I didn't receive the package until today, it arrived only five days after shipment. Nothing was glued to the box, but rather all the papers were enclosed in plastic and then bound to the box by the filament much like Saran Wrap. The box was closed with perfectly applied tape the same color as the box. I'll be able to reuse the box without having to tear off glued labels. Pretty sweet. But let's get serious here...

Here are the four 135mm lenses now in my kit... whether that number will be reduced remains an open question since all four of these lenses is beautiful... This was shot with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd... (congratulations Chuong and good luck finding that conversion kit.)

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-

135 f/2 AI-s, 135 f/2.8 AI, 135 f/2.8 K AI'd, 135 f/2.8 Q.C. AI'd

The first thing I did when I got home was head outside to take a few photos with the lenses, hopefully satisfying Leighton's wishes. Everyone knows that I do a pretty mediocre job with such comparisons because I do them hand held. So everything is approximate. (We'll have to rely on Jose and John for serious lens comparisons...) I stood at the same location... not even moving my feet... I cropped, downsized and added labels. I did nothing else to the images. All were shot wide open. I added weight, length and diameter at the bottom of the page to help with the comparison.

As one would expect, the 135 f/2 AI-s obliterates the background, but the other three lenses acquit themselves quite well. More will be revealed...

Very interesting comparison, especially when the 50-135 is thrown in there. Not exactly an easy back ground to get rid of either

The 50-135 is a bit of a gem ... only giving up 1/2 a stop with the convenience of a zoom.

I'd still go for the f/2

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks guys

Great shot Dean, Leighton ,Mark, Samy, John,Georg and Peter in Wi

You make me want to throw away my extension tubes

Your work is amazing, Ronny !!

georgms

Curtis, thanks for sharing the results of your 135mm-Nikkor comparison! I'm really surprised how well the Zoom-Nikkor did, simply amazing.
As much as I'd love to play with a really old 135/2.8 (Q or QC), I think I'll stick with the 135/2 Ais and the neat 135/3.5 Ai for now ;-)
Info for Leighton: maybe it's just a personal thing, but the fast medium-telephotos (105/1.8, 135/2, 180/2.8ED) feel somehow smoother in their focusing mechanism.
I prefer their handling over the 105/2.5's or the IF-equipped 300/4.5 IF-ED as example. So I'm sure you would like the 135/2 ;-)

kwoodard

leighton w wrote:
leighton w wrote:

CGrindahl wrote:

kwoodard wrote:

You KNOW you need one.

I would love one. If I went the other direction in my kit building idea, I would be looking at the 50-135, the 80-200/4.5 (have already) and the 28-50/3.5. I would probably keep a fast 50 like a 1.4 in there too. I just have no money right now for new lenses. I need to work with what I have and fix the ones I have in the repair bin.

georgms

Alan, nice to hear/read from you! Sorry about your P67, hope you'll get it fixed (or a new used one) soon. The mighty Pentax is one camera I'd love to try sometimes...

Philippe, the "street-seller" is a truly remarkable shot, your (pictorial) signature is unique for sure.

Ronny, love the "dancing" dragonflies! Your style is distinctive, love it!

Mark, thanks for your comment on the Heinkel-Mauer. It's a shame that so much of the brainpower of brilliant engineers was used to create machines with just one purpose: to take the life of others.
It's hard for me to know that Guernica and Coventry (to name just two examples) were destroyed with bombers built in my hometown.

Leighton, looking at your last set from the market (and "Lady Justice") I wholeheartedly recommend the use of the 180mm next week too

Rafael, congrats! I hope the description is accurate.

John, your second set from the glass-show is beautiful too. Personal fav is shot #1, just like in your great "Puget Sound"-Images I prefer the mono- or bicolored shots.

Jose, thanks for your words on the action-shots!

Ben, I hope your 135APO will show up soon - I'm eagerly waiting to see your work with it! Thanks for your kind words on the "Flyin' German".

CGrindahl

New/old lens, flowers in bloom... what to do...

Three shots taken with the 135 f/2.8 K AI'd wide open... ignore any information to the contrary... I forgot to change the non-CPU in a rush to get out the door, so two of these identify the lens as a 50 f/3.5... its all Leighton's fault...

This is a beautiful lens Chin... but I may be willing to sell it, but only to a friend...

Zichar
Total Posts: 3758

Thanks for the comparison photos, I personally find it very difficult to tell them apart
I must say I am leaning towards the AIS simply because of its weight and dimensions
A light pack is foremost in my mind - these shoulders ache too much with a full pack
I do note on photosynthesis that there are two versions of the K
One lighter than the other (and being very similar to the AI)
Is that the version you have?

1       2       3              2792      
       2794              5885       5886       end