Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2791

1       2       3              2791      
       2793              4300       4301       end

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2638

Jeff and Curtis, magnificent flower shots.

Curtis, this is the best of the worlds, an ai'd lens maintaining the excellente scalloped aperture ring!

asiostygius

CGrindahl wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
...Curtis, beautiful scalloped collection, but I think you need this beauty to have a more complete collection :

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2012/03/10/nikkor-q-200mm-f4-lens/
http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_200mm_f4_598528.html

It is definitely a gorgeous lens but the 4 elements in 4 groups does not stir Bjorn's juices. While the later versions from K through AI-s are given very high marks 4.5 to 5, the earlier lens is given a 2.5. I'm not certain it is a very sensible investment. I love the old lenses, but function matters to me more than form. The pre-AI lenses now in my kit all perform exceptionally well, the best of form and function. That is why my buying days might be over...

Curtis, though Bjorn is generally spot on about lens evaluations, in this particular case I have to disagree (perhaps I was lucky with a good copy, or it would be the multicoating of the QC?):
Even though I have the 200/4 Q.C for a short time, shooting side by side with the 200/4 ais revealed to me virtually no difference. I made no formal test (perhaps I will perform one this weekend ), but apparently sharpness is equal and the only slight, really slight difference could be that wide open the QC has a little bit more CA in harsh light conditions - easily fixed in PP though. At smaller apertures simply there is no difference at 100% pixel peeping.
The other difference is that the older lens is IMHO better constructed (including the built in hood - firm and not loose) and feels better in my hands than the ais version.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 746

Some stunning photos over the last few days. I have been busy on a business trip and no time to comment on them all let alone get out there and do some shooting, but I have enjoyed the excellent quality of images as always.

I have a couple from last weekend first with the 28mm series E. I like this lens but looking forward to trying out the 24mm that should be coming soon. It's a typical Swiss afternoon in Spring, a man out taking his pet goat for a walk as you do.

Second is with the 180mm+TC201, just a silly shot but hope it's a nice lighthearted way to kick off the weekend for everyone.

asiostygius

For those interested in comments/reviews on Nikkor lenses, I recommend a look at these links:

http://www.sassmannshausen.eu/lenses.html

http://www.tonipuma.it/tecnica.htm (in Italian, but conclusions are in English)

Many lenses in these links are old MFs.

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

asiostygius wrote:
Inspired by the flower boom from the last 2-3 days, these are my humble contributions.

Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 ais at MFD + 3T close up lens test by labecoaves, on Flickr

D600 + Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 ais + 3T close up lens, lens at MFD, ISO 500, f/8 at 1/400s hand held. The light was a late afternoon sun.

Jose, very nice work with the 135. I like this one very much.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2967

MarkdV wrote:
Some stunning photos over the last few days. I have been busy on a business trip and no time to comment on them all let alone get out there and do some shooting, but I have enjoyed the excellent quality of images as always.

I have a couple from last weekend first with the 28mm series E. I like this lens but looking forward to trying out the 24mm that should be coming soon. It's a typical Swiss afternoon in Spring, a man out taking his pet goat for a walk as you do.

Second is with the 180mm+TC201, just a silly shot but hope it's a nice lighthearted way to kick off the weekend for everyone.
Unless your EXIF is weird, the bubbles are with the 28 and the goat is the 180... Either way, love the shots. The bubbles are great!

mp356
Total Posts: 4329

kwoodard wrote:
All shots with PK13...

First up is the Nikkor-Q 135/2.8. Other than the crop, SOOC

DSC_7789 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Like this very much Kevin. Wonderful texture and color.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1462

asiostygius wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
...Curtis, beautiful scalloped collection, but I think you need this beauty to have a more complete collection :

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2012/03/10/nikkor-q-200mm-f4-lens/
http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_200mm_f4_598528.html

It is definitely a gorgeous lens but the 4 elements in 4 groups does not stir Bjorn's juices. While the later versions from K through AI-s are given very high marks 4.5 to 5, the earlier lens is given a 2.5. I'm not certain it is a very sensible investment. I love the old lenses, but function matters to me more than form. The pre-AI lenses now in my kit all perform exceptionally well, the best of form and function. That is why my buying days might be over...

Curtis, though Bjorn is generally spot on about lens evaluations, in this particular case I have to disagree (perhaps I was lucky with a good copy, or it would be the multicoating of the QC?):
Even though I have the 200/4 Q.C for a short time, shooting side by side with the 200/4 ais revealed to me virtually no difference. I made no formal test (perhaps I will perform one this weekend ), but apparently sharpness is equal and the only slight, really slight difference could be that wide open the QC has a little bit more CA in harsh light conditions - easily fixed in PP though. At smaller apertures simply there is no difference at 100% pixel peeping.
The other difference is that the older lens is IMHO better constructed (including the built in hood - firm and not loose) and feels better in my hands than the ais version.

Funny Jose that we are discussing 200mm 1:4.0, I have the ais and it is an excellent lens, I also have a perfect Q.C. which I don't use because it is non ai. However I just bought this off the Bay, so it will now be used!! Agree that the lens is beautifully constructed.

$T2eC16N,!yME9s5qF8ZwBRQK-6R2hw~~60_57 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

PS been away busy with spring break visitors and the top on the old vette, which is not complete, that was a lot of work!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Mahai that's a wonderful portrait of Adrian. Nicely converted to B&W
Phillippe the older gentleman in the herringbone suit is terrific. Textures are amazing!
Georg when you have the 16mm 3.5 you just can't help shooting into the sun!
Samy you are getting very adept at the flower shots!
Paul I enjoyed your photos of the raptors.
Chuong two great shots! Love the lamp and the detail in the flower.
Jose nice work with the close-ups. I so wanted to buy the +5 and +6 that were on the B&S
Jeff nice shots especially considering the patch
Kevin you are continuing to amaze
Mark I love the bubbles

MDoc9523

My brother and I took a little road trip to Arcadia and Sarasota yesterday. Had a great time talking about old times and taking photos. The first two photos are from Arcadia, which is well known for it's antique shoppes. Taken using the D600 and 16mm 3.5

kwoodard

MDoc9523 wrote:
My brother and I took a little road trip to Arcadia and Sarasota yesterday. Had a great time talking about old times and taking photos. The first two photos are from Arcadia, which is well known for it's antique shoppes. Taken using the D600 and 16mm 3.5

I really like this one.

MDoc9523

Thanks Kevin I have always been drawn to the lines in these type of photos

kwoodard

MDoc9523 wrote:

Me too. Always feel like I am being sucked down them. Images with lots of lines are the only ones I really like with a fisheye lens.

MDoc9523

kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Me too. Always feel like I am being sucked down them. Images with lots of lines are the only ones I really like with a fisheye lens.

That will probably change once you get your hands on one

kwoodard

MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Not so sure. I played with one (AF, but same FL) and I didn't care much for it for anything other than corridors or other things with lines and vanishing points. Wasn't my thing. If you ever come out to CA bring it and we can explore old Sacramento and the capital building. Lots of areas where it would shine I think.

MarkdV

kwoodard wrote:
MarkdV wrote:

Unless your EXIF is weird, the bubbles are with the 28 and the goat is the 180... Either way, love the shots. The bubbles are great!

Thanks Kevin,

Yes, the EXIF is the wrong way around. Both lenses are f/2.8 and I was very lazy that day, bad habit I know. Glad you like the bubble shot.

MarkdV

MDoc9523 wrote:

Great shots Ray, like Kevin I really like the second one, but also love the sign in the shop window. Less curiosity killing the cat rather persuading it to spend money.

BTW, I sent you a PM and I would like to know if you are interested in what I am proposing if you have a moment to drop me a line.

Kind regards,
Mark.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4038

Great images and interesting discussion the past couple of days.. well done everyone.

MDoc9523

kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:

Not so sure. I played with one (AF, but same FL) and I didn't care much for it for anything other than corridors or other things with lines and vanishing points. Wasn't my thing. If you ever come out to CA bring it and we can explore old Sacramento and the capital building. Lots of areas where it would shine I think.

Thanks for the invite kevin but as much as I would love to see California, it will probably be quite awhile before that dream comes true

kwoodard

This is a first for me... I never post the JPG that come straight out of the camera, but here are three. Taken with the 80-200/4.5 AI with the addition of a PK13. All images are -.7EV as it was noon sun, so the color isn't as I like. I won't have ACR access until I get home. Will play with them a little there, but I don't think they will need much.

_DSC7879 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC7848 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

_DSC7896 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

1       2       3              2791      
       2793              4300       4301       end