Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2789

1       2       3              2789      
       2791              5892       5893       end

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

MarkdV wrote:
I was in Poland last week in a place called Katowice. Maybe not as famous as its near neighbor, Krakow, but certainly a place that had it's share of history at the start of the 20th Century. Originally Polish, then Bohemian, Austrian and eventually Prussian, at the start of the last Century, as Well's martians were casting their envious eyes towards us, Katowice was under the rule of the German Empire. After WWI there were two uprisings in the province that Katowice is a part of (Silesia) to push for a league of nations plebiscite for their future. Germany was keen to hang onto the region as it was rich in Iron and coal and was a major source of income for the post-war reparations from the treaty of Versailles and in the end the region voted to remain German. However this led to a third uprising where Upper Silesia managed to break away from Germany and join Poland. Although the minority in land and population it was the majority in wealth and productivity.
Their break from Germany was only to last 15 years however as in 1939 the spearhead of the German army entered Poland through this region. The Polish army fell back to prepare to defend Krakow leaving Katowice undefended but the March into Katowice was not as easy as expected as a mixed irregular force of Silesian uprising veterans and Boy and Girl scouts fortified and defended the city.
Sadly, as much of Polish WW2 history, this was an act of hopeless heroism. Although the held up the assault for two days, boys and girls with rifles were no match for the German army with it's modern weaponry and heavy artillery and in the end the children were swept aside and killed and soon the rest of Poland followed.
After the War Poland was occupied by the Soviets and of the next 45 years the city was under the grip of the communists. There was even an attempt to rename the town Stalinogrod, but even the puppet dictatorship couldn't make this name stick.
These days the city relies less on coal and steel and more on becoming a hub for IT and other services. There is a lot of building and reconstruction work, although the old communist blocks still dominate the city, however the city is modernizing fast and I can attest there are several very fine restaurants in the city and quite a passable local beer.
Below are some images from the city taken with the Series E 28mm and 55mm Macro.

Nice work, Mark ... the Communist accommodation block is very eery !

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

MDoc9523 wrote:
Wow the talent here is amazing. I can't comment on all so I have started Ray's pic's of the week

Thanks Rafael and Dean, yes, the 180 is a special lens.

WOW, I'm honored Ray, thanks! What a great idea. Since I'm not on here much during the week I may implement this as well, if you don't mind.

rattymouse
Total Posts: 7430

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks guys

Nice shot from fishmarket Ratty (idon't no your name )

Thank you very much! (Ratty works)

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Lotsa great postings here on the last few pages:

Peter from Madison, I like the "Big beautiful doll": great B&W and very nice framing!

Samy, interesting pictures from the military show! From a purely photographic point of view I like your images of the Merc and the German officer the most, it has nothing to do with my origin.

Roberto, congrats to your new old Zoom-Nikkor! I hope to see some pictures taken with/through soon.

Mark, I like your set from and your text about Katowice a lot, especially the image from defense-memorial and the "communist accommodation block".

Bert, nice to see you here again! I like especially the very first rose-shot: beautifully done, the light is wonderful!

Leighton, wow, you're on a roll with the 180/2.8! Great work, the boy in the puddle is a classic, kids will be kids: country, origin, religion don't matter. No super-expensive toy can deliver the fun of playing in a nice puddle ;-)

Ronny, one fantastic shot after another: I'm really glad that you share your fabulous work here!

Ratty, I like your pictorial impressions from the seafood-market a lot.

Ron, great colors and focus on the flower-shot!

Philippe, the framing of your photographs is always marvellous and highly inspiring. I like #1 very very much for this reason, but your compo on #2 is a wee bit on the funny side and my personal fav ;-)

Rafael, excellent use of the 55/1.2 SC! I like especially the very first shot and the psychic. Congrats to your D4, btw !

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8411

Spend the afternoon at Seattle Center in the Chihuly exhibit with my Sister's family, my Mom, and the twins.

45/2.8P and 16/3.5 AI were used.

John

jhinkey

One more - my niece decided to twirl to 'till she was dizzy . . . .

deang001
Total Posts: 1793

jhinkey wrote:

Just perfect !!

jhinkey

OK - one more, really this is the last one

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

deang001 wrote:
jhinkey wrote:

Just perfect !!

+1! I like the first shot with the 16/3.5 too - great stuff, John!

jhinkey

Thanks Dean and Georg - sometimes the shutter just gets tripped at the right moment! (loosely translated as I got lucky).

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Wow the talent here is amazing. I can't comment on all so I have started Ray's pic's of the week

Thanks Rafael and Dean, yes, the 180 is a special lens.

WOW, I'm honored Ray, thanks! What a great idea. Since I'm not on here much during the week I may implement this as well, if you don't mind.

Don't mind at all. There is soooo much great stuff to comment on that I can not keep up. this seemed like a good alternative

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

jhinkey wrote:

WOW John that is terrific!

jhinkey

MDoc9523 wrote:
jhinkey wrote:

WOW John that is terrific!

Thanks Ray - I hope her parents like it too.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

deang001 wrote:
jhinkey wrote:

Just perfect !!

FANTASTIC shot John!

Zichar
Total Posts: 3761

One of the best, John. Wow

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Zichar wrote:
One of the best, John. Wow

+1

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

I'm not somnolent Curtis - I'm awestruck:
Ronny's firefly series is unbelievable (the out of focus flying one is breathtaking),
Leighton's boy in the puddle is very cute.
Georg's flying man is just one of those shots - right photog, right place, right time.
John's niece twirling is beyond praise - I love everything about that shot - even without John saying I could see she was twirling for all she was worth - the pic captures that - and puts it in a wonderful space

Ben

jhinkey

Thanks guys - every once in a while it comes together for me. I suck at people shots.

That was the only good one out of about 5 shots I took of her twirling - she was only in the middle for about 5 seconds and I somehow managed to line up the 16/3.5 pretty well with the skylights and just happen to catch her during the twirl.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

Thanks Ratty, Georg, Ronny, Dean, Samy, Peter B and Peter (S.A.).

Curtis, in fact I bought the 135/3.5 QC, not the f/2.8 (who knows, someday...);

Samy, enjoyed your reenactment sets;

Georg and Dean, excellent action sports sets with MF glass!!

Ronny, more killer dragonfly sets;

Bert, welcome back, and what stunning flower sets with the 200/4 ais + tubes;

Mark, enjoyed your history lesson and shots from Poland; please keep them coming;

Jonh, the last one with your niece is superb!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4684

pburke wrote:
More air show from last year - reprocessed a bunch of them this weekend. All on D7000

this wit the 105mm f/2.5

300mm f/4.5 EDIF

Thank you for posting these. I had been kind of looking at my D7000 with a little bit of disdain. The light I get to shoot in often screws with the contrast in my pictures and blows out easily. Seeing these, I just need to work harder I think...

1       2       3              2789      
       2791              5892       5893       end