Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2787

1       2       3              2787      
       2789              4297       4298       end

Reagan
Total Posts: 2985

rolubich wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:

I really like this one Ronny, great shot.

+1

Reagan

I need to catch up opn about 10 pages been playing with AF
It seems like I need a refresher course

Reagan

bruni
Total Posts: 1422

leighton w wrote:
I'm going to use the 105 f2.5 AI-s more I think. It's really sharp, this is a 75% crop of our neighbor at the market.

this is great Leighton - going to be busy with nikki for a while - but you've made me think I should revisit the 105.

John - lovely shots of your wedding venue - you really know how to bring out the best in that 16mm.

Curtis - you're outdoing yourself on your recent flower shots.

ben

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2958

Reagan wrote:

Reagan

Blasphemy!

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7744

Following Monty, eh?

Reagan wrote:
rolubich wrote:
Ronny _Olsson wrote:

I really like this one Ronny, great shot.

+1

Reagan

Reagan

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7744

Ray, are you trying to say that the FL women on the beach are too wrinkly?

Reagan wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Would you believe Ray, that I've been looking at real estate to buy in Florida... and that after seeing your excellent photos of the owl? Sue has been given notice where she lives and must vacate in 90 days. She has been in her affordable apartment for 15 years and is quite concerned that she won't be able to find a rental that she can afford. And wherever Sue is, I'll be... We hope it will be here, but a fall back position might be to move to where prices are affordable. Since Sue has family in Delray Beach we might consider that a fallback. So your owls got me looking Ray...

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Wow. Too bad you couldn't share. Ninety days to move isn't that long, and for that kind of uprooting, it's even worse. Moving to FL in mid-summer would not be kind to either of you. UGH.

Yes, FL in the Summer UGH. But isn't that where all the old folks move to?

Its really not that hot here in the summer just humid.Always an ocean breeze blowing from the Southeast
Usually you have till about 830am before you start a good sweat
Besides if they moved someone would need to step up with The California Girls shots that have been lacking lately

Reagan

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

All of the the flower photos have inspired me

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13152

Happy to know the lens arrived safely Ben. I hope you didn't have to hassle with customs. It will be fun to see what you do with the lens the second time around. Now that both you and Philippe have copies of this lens I expect photographic skirmish. Of course, Philippe has the advantage of living in France but you are on the water. This should be fun to watch...

As an aside, the 105 f/2.5 P pre-AI lens I bought recently arrived today and it is in like new condition. Now if I can exchange aperture rings I should be in business. This is definitely a lens worth keeping in my kit for a very long time. The rear cap has writing that says "UM School of Journalism," with UM doubtless referring to the University of Montana which is in Missoula. Although the listing noted location as Seattle, the lens was shipped from Missoula. I hope it wasn't stolen from the school...

CGrindahl

Great flower shot Ray. I see the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF works as well in Florida as it does in California... You've got the eye my friend.

MDoc9523

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Ray, are you trying to say that the FL women on the beach are too wrinkly?

Reagan wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Would you believe Ray, that I've been looking at real estate to buy in Florida... and that after seeing your excellent photos of the owl? Sue has been given notice where she lives and must vacate in 90 days. She has been in her affordable apartment for 15 years and is quite concerned that she won't be able to find a rental that she can afford. And wherever Sue is, I'll be... We hope it will be here, but a fall back position might be to move to where prices are affordable. Since Sue has family in Delray Beach we might consider that a fallback. So your owls got me looking Ray...

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Wow. Too bad you couldn't share. Ninety days to move isn't that long, and for that kind of uprooting, it's even worse. Moving to FL in mid-summer would not be kind to either of you. UGH.

Yes, FL in the Summer UGH. But isn't that where all the old folks move to?

Its really not that hot here in the summer just humid.Always an ocean breeze blowing from the Southeast
Usually you have till about 830am before you start a good sweat
Besides if they moved someone would need to step up with The California Girls shots that have been lacking lately

Reagan

A few are for sure but the majority Not

MDoc9523

CGrindahl wrote:
Great flower shot Ray. I see the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF works as well in Florida as it does in California... You've got the eye my friend.

Thanks Curtis. I bought this lens because of you

kwoodard

CGrindahl wrote:
Happy to know the lens arrived safely Ben. I hope you didn't have to hassle with customs. It will be fun to see what you do with the lens the second time around. Now that both you and Philippe have copies of this lens I expect photographic skirmish. Of course, Philippe has the advantage of living in France but you are on the water. This should be fun to watch...

As an aside, the 105 f/2.5 P pre-AI lens I bought recently arrived today and it is in like new condition. Now if I can exchange aperture rings I should be in business. This is definitely a lens worth keeping in my kit for a very long time. The rear cap has writing that says "UM School of Journalism," with UM doubtless referring to the University of Montana which is in Missoula. Although the listing noted location as Seattle, the lens was shipped from Missoula. I hope it wasn't stolen from the school...

Shouldn't be too hard, couple small screwdrivers and maybe a soldering iron to heat up a stuck screw...

I have a Series E 50mm that I want to service and has a few stubborn screws. This one looks like someone spilled a soda on and it dried inside. The glass is even cleaner than my first 50mm, which I didn't think possible until I saw this one. I hope I can revive it.

Tomorrow should be my "Macro lunch" provided the wind dies down. I am bringing my kit to work since I have a long lunch and am going to try some focus stacking. I did some figuring and I think magnification is about 1:4 with my 135, 1:2 with my 50, 1:1 with my 28, 1.5: 1 with a reversed 50, and a staggering 2.6:1 with a reversed 28!

CGrindahl

MDoc9523 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Thats what friends are for Ray... As I recall, you were lugging around a much too heavy f/2.8 lens and this little beauty saved your shoulder while giving you the performance you want. Very wise move. Needless to say, should you ever decide to take the plunge with the 400 f/5.6 AI or AI-s with ED glass, you'd be equally happy. Nikon really knew what it was doing when it made those light weight lenses. I'll not likely ever take the plunge with the 500 f/4 but that would be another stunner to add to one's kit.

I just checked with the local camera technician and he said he'd be happy to swap out the aperture rings of my growing assemblage of pre-AI Nikkors. I told him about the 105 but not the 50. I guess I either have to invest in some equipment or spend a bit of money to let him do it. Tomorrow I'll take the lenses in for him to see exactly what is involved.

And for those of you who are adept at doing such work, consider I live in a cottage without a workshop and don't own anything but a few auto repair tools. I'd be starting from scratch. Although I've taken engines out of cars, I'm not certain I have the patience and fortitude to open up four lenses. More will be revealed.

saph
Total Posts: 2341

Great flower shots. Ray's Florida flower is beautiful, and Ronny's flower that seems aflame is very striking.

Reagan, I wouldn't respond to Laura, she's walking you into trouble

Got to the flowers and camera very late today, as the sun was disappearing, so had to bump up the ISO to 2000. This was with the 5.8cm 1.4S + PK-13, at f/11. Shutter speed at 1/250 to counter the wind swaying the flowers.

saph

I am betting Ray's going to get at least the 400 5.6 Ray that owl will pose even more gracefully for a 400mm

CGrindahl wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Thats what friends are for Ray... As I recall, you were lugging around a much too heavy f/2.8 lens and this little beauty saved your shoulder while giving you the performance you want. Very wise move. Needless to say, should you ever decide to take the plunge with the 400 f/5.6 AI or AI-s with ED glass, you'd be equally happy. Nikon really knew what it was doing when it made those light weight lenses. I'll not likely ever take the plunge with the 500 f/4 but that would be another stunner to add to one's kit.

I just checked with the local camera technician and he said he'd be happy to swap out the aperture rings of my growing assemblage of pre-AI Nikkors. I told him about the 105 but not the 50. I guess I either have to invest in some equipment or spend a bit of money to let him do it. Tomorrow I'll take the lenses in for him to see exactly what is involved.

And for those of you who are adept at doing such work, consider I live in a cottage without a workshop and don't own anything but a few auto repair tools. I'd be starting from scratch. Although I've taken engines out of cars, I'm not certain I have the patience and fortitude to open up four lenses. More will be revealed.

georgms
Total Posts: 3446

Excellent flower-images on the last few pages - Ray, Ronny, Ron, Curtis, Samy: excellent work!

Leighton, that's a really lovely portrait of your market-neighbor! The 105/2.5 seems to be almost too sharp for a girl-portrait ;-)

Ronny, great job on the green door again! And the engine looks cool - must be a tiny V2-engine?!

John, your latest sets are great. Love the "Beach"-sign and the ebb tide piles.

Jose, the "Palazzo Bonaparte" looks like a neat home for an elder lady ;-) Good job behind the camera!

saph

Georg, I really like the rust and wood, and the grainy monochrome flowers.

georgms wrote:
After seeing Curtis' work with "tubed" MF-Nikkor's I just had to go in the garden for some shot's with an old PC Auto 105/2.5 on a 20mm-Kenko-tube.
But the flowers were too colorful for my taste and after some half-hearted snaps another potential subject caught my eyes.
The 105 delivered not the wanted look and was exchanged for the tiltable PC 85/2.8D:

kwoodard

At the swap meet I was at last Sunday, there was a lady selling a 600mm f/4 that was pristine! She only wanted $4k for it... I played with it with her D4 (it was on a monstrous tripod)...wow, I was able to read the "Push" button on a soda dispenser in the McDonalds about 400 yards away. Heck, it made me think about 900mm on my D7000.

georgms

kwoodard wrote:
At the swap meet I was at last Sunday, there was a lady selling a 600mm f/4 that was pristine! She only wanted $4k for it... I played with it with her D4 (it was on a monstrous tripod)...wow, I was able to read the "Push" button on a soda dispenser in the McDonalds about 400 yards away. Heck, it made me think about 900mm on my D7000.

Kevin, the 600/4 has a major drawback: it wont fit your reversing-ring ;-)

saph

I see a little sadness or thoughtfulness in both the "persons", at least that's what I got out of it.

georgms wrote:
Philippe, I really like the second shot: it almost looks like the two "persons" are silently exchanging thoughts (sorry, have no better words for it).

georgms

Curtis, Ronny, Jose and Samy - thanks for your words on the wilted blossom and the "rusting wood"!

1       2       3              2787      
       2789              4297       4298       end