Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2771

1       2       3              2771      
       2773              4360       4361       end

mp356
Total Posts: 4392

jhinkey wrote:
15 minutes with the 45/2.8 AI-P.

This lens is really resonating with me. Small, sharp, and easy to use. I've just been leaving it on my D800 and stuffing it in my laptop case - something I could not really do with the 50/1.8G because it sticks out too much from the camera. I also did not like taking my 50/1.2 AIS around because it also sticks out too much AND it's pretty heavy. The 45P is not fast, but it makes up for it in other ways it seems.

John

Nice series John. I like the colors in the last one.

mp356

Oosty wrote:
Some Specled Mousebirds grabbing a few rays this morning after quite a chilly night. They are frugivorous and often sit in fairly hot sun which apparently assists in food digestion.

Nice shot Peter. They are furry looking little guys.

mp356

kwoodard wrote:
Took 5 minutes and ran outside with the PK13 and the 135mm Nikkor-Q... I am in love! Probably falling into the banal category (can't believe I am saying that now!), but handheld, spur-of-the-moment...I love the possibilities. One thing of note!!! Focus conformation dot is razor sharp, I have maybe 1mm of play when I had 8~10 before.

DSC_7765 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Kevin, I like this very much!

Zichar
Total Posts: 3575

Am keeping you in my thoughts Mihai

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6095

My last PanSTARRS picture taken with the 135/2 AIS was finally used -

http://westseattleblog.com/2013/04/skies-over-west-seattle-april-2013-edition-astronomy-month-some-planets#comment-998452

I had submitted it and they did not use it right away, but it seems they hadn't forgotten about it.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13290

kwoodard wrote:

I have that same issue with my 80-200, foreground bokeh is nice, background is so-so, depending on aperture. I wouldn't be to worried about it, just find the apertures that aren't so great and avoid them. Granted, it is very dependent on the OOF area being rendered. I have had the opportunity to shoot with the 75-150 and I would gladly trade my 80-200 for it as the range is more in line with where I like to shoot. The extra 50mm at the long end is wasted in my hands...the tube I just got may change that though.

Speaking of the PK13, I reverse mounted my 28mm onto the front of it to see what kind of max magnification I can get with it. I am pretty impressed, 2.6:1. I get a hair over 1.1:1 with the 50mm reversed. Still need to see what I am getting with the lens mounted normally, but I am guessing about 50% of the reversed figures. There is a lot of barrel distortion, very much akin to a mild fisheye lens. Can't wait to try it out on something other than a ruler.

Some informal testing with my 135mm shows real potential. The PK13 cuts the focusing distance about in half. I can fit a 3" subject across the frame... The possibilities make me smile like a loon!

Having a tube to mount on these lenses can change everything. I see you checked out the Shooting with Tubes thread I started in the Macro World Forum. Tubes work magic with every lens, but they do especially well with a few, including the 80-200 f/4.5 AI with the rectangular baffle at the rear. Give it a try before you trade it for a Series E lens.

CGrindahl

I shot this today with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd with the PK-13 attached. This is uncropped, resized and converted using Silver Efex Pro 2. A palm frond...

CGrindahl

John, I didn't mention it at the moment, but the landscape work you did with the 45 f/2.8 was wonderful. That lens appears to perform beautifully. I've looked at the lens before, but it always struck me as so small I wouldn't no what to do with it. Clearly, it works for you. Well done!

jhinkey

Excellent as usual Curtis - you've been on quite a run lately!

CGrindahl

Thanks John. I've been having a good time, though with Nikki gone, my shooting has definitely slowed down to what might be considered a SANE rate...

Here is a color shot with the same setup, this at f/8. Tubes obliterate bokeh.

CGrindahl

Here are a few more shots taken with Nikki at Muir Woods. These are the "educational" shots...

This tree sprouted in 909 A.D. It is certainly not the largest tree in the Woods, nor certainly in California. I love the redwood trees and so do most folks who visit this park.

jhinkey

CGrindahl wrote:
John, I didn't mention it at the moment, but the landscape work you did with the 45 f/2.8 was wonderful. That lens appears to perform beautifully. I've looked at the lens before, but it always struck me as so small I wouldn't no what to do with it. Clearly, it works for you. Well done!

Thanks Curtis - It's kind of weird how a lens can get one excited!

CGrindahl

jhinkey wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Thanks Curtis - It's kind of weird how a lens can get one excited!

Except, of course, the fact that this thread is about exactly that... a manual focus lens... We are eternally celebrating one lens or another. I've not used that particular lens, but you've done a wonderful job of presenting it to us. We do that over and over again. Frankly, I think we do a great service to Nikon shooters with all the experimenting we do... I really do love this thread, and clearly, I'm not alone...

Oosty
Total Posts: 4047

MDoc9523 wrote:

Peter I saw with much interest your photo of mousebirds. I have never seen these before and this is an excellent introduction!

Thanks Ray - they're pretty common in SA - we have 3 species and have an interesting history. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mousebird

Oosty

kwoodard wrote:
Took 5 minutes and ran outside with the PK13 and the 135mm Nikkor-Q... I am in love! Probably falling into the banal category (can't believe I am saying that now!), but handheld, spur-of-the-moment...I love the possibilities. One thing of note!!! Focus conformation dot is razor sharp, I have maybe 1mm of play when I had 8~10 before.

8x10 crop, white balance corrected, basic sharpening in ACR

Excellent shots - is #2 a bottlebrush or flowering gum?

Oosty

mp356 wrote:
Oosty wrote:
Some Specled Mousebirds grabbing a few rays this morning after quite a chilly night. They are frugivorous and often sit in fairly hot sun which apparently assists in food digestion.

Nice shot Peter. They are furry looking little guys.

Thanks Scott - their body feathers are fine and "furlike" and when they land in a bush it looks like a controlled crash!

Oosty

Mark - I'm glad we're getting closer - soon we'll be in the Eurozone and will have to brush up on our Italian NIce night shot.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 766

Kevin, love the shots of the flowers with the tubes. Very sharp and great work.

Curtis, also great shot with the red flowers and nice ones from the redwood park. That tree was born at least 100 years before the first Māori even arrived in my home country!

Mihai - All the best for your operation and I wish for you a swift recovery.

Mishu01
Total Posts: 2390

I'm overwhelmed by your solidarity and friendship guys! Apart of celebrating MF Nikkors this thread brings together great people around the world and I feel very blessed to be a part of it. I wish Curtis will realize one day that I'm not simply complimenting him when I express my thanks for his role!

P.S. John, congrats for 45/2.8. It's definitely more than a body cap and is even sweeter on D7K but great enough on D800. The simple Tessar design incorporates its own advantages over modern overcomplicated design.

saph
Total Posts: 2421

No time this week and the lenses have been clamoring to be be put to use Just enough time to look at this page and Kevin, great work with adding the extension tubes. Curtis, someday if I ever make it back to Northern California, the redwoods would definitely be on the agenda. The concentric rings on the last tree image are awesome. A millenium-old tree, wow!

And Mihai, all the very best on a quick recovery.

1       2       3              2771      
       2773              4360       4361       end