Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2765

1       2       3              2765      
       2767              4052       4053       end

georgms
Total Posts: 3277

MarkdV wrote:
Hi All,
Snooping around for a reasonable quality 24 or 20mm lens. couple of options of a certain auction website, what's the going rate for a 24mm f2.8 Ai and is there a big difference between that and the Ai-s version?
Also seen a not too expensive 24mm F2.0 but Bjorn Rorslett doesn't seem too keen on this one, what's peoples thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark, I just came home from a short walk with the 24/2Ai (mounted via FT-1 on the Nikon 1 V1).
Nancy ("waysaz") and Jose did some amazing work with their copies (the Ais-variant, if I'm not mistaken).
It's a unique lens with a very, very lively bokeh (I love it ;-).
The 24/2.8 is less temperamental in the bokeh-department and probably the better choice.
I've never tried the 20/2.8Ais, but have it's AF-sister and that's a good, but not very good performer.
Main difference between Ai- and Ais-lenses is the much longer focus-throw at the older Ai-lenses. But I'm sure there are other differences too (coatings and so on).

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4888

kings_freak wrote:
I finally got a few minutes to play around with my new, to me, 24mm 2.8 NC.

Tony

Flare Test by T&J Photography, on Flickr

Very Nice shot Tony. 24mm 2.8 is one of my favorites

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12751

MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Whoa! You're killing us with these shots Ray. I do believe the humble 100-300 f/5.6 AI-s is up to the task at 24 megapixels. This is a fine lens now that we're getting more light. I'll have to pull mine out and play a bit, though I don't have these exotic butterflies to capture. Beautiful images Ray. Excellent work on every level.

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Kevin and Curtis. I thought that the 100-300 5.6 held up pretty well. Certainly not quite as good as the prime lens but it's versatility in focal lengths along with the excellent quality is definitely a bonus for this lens. I was able to buy her for around $100.oo
As an edit: perhaps this lens could be the next around the world lens? Whatcha think?

I agree with you Ray, not quite up to the primes. But I do like your images.

It's funny but when I shot Canon, I had mostly zooms and that seemed to be the trend. I see that a lot with Nikon users now also. I suppose they have their convenience, but I am just enthralled by the prime lenses. My zooms just seemed to sit and I bet I haven't shot with the 100-300 for 6-8months

When you pick up primes like the 85 f/1.4 AI-s and 35 f/1.4 AI-s as you recently did, you're bound to become a fan of prime lenses. The recent portrait of a young boy you posted brought an immediate smile to my face. I knew you'd been playing with the 85 again. Although I appreciate the capability of the zoom lenses in my kit, they seldom are mounted on my camera. Primes are simply too delicious to leave at home.

I shot this yesterday with Nikki's older sister, the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd. Needless to say, I'm really enjoying the pre-AI lenses that have been added over the past year.

Shot at f/2... rather nice isolation. This has a real 3-D pop to it.

CGrindahl

Here are a couple of photos from the end of my day in San Francisco, the first taken from the ferry, the second as I walked back to my car showing the ferry terminal. Both shot with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd and then converted in Silver Efex Pro 2.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5650

Zichar wrote:
John, I don't recall, have you ever posted specs of your computer?
I gotta get an upgrade, I can't stitch tiffs only jpegs and 10 is just about the limit before MICE crashes. PS crashes at 8 images, depending on how detailed the shots are

Well, it's something like this:

Windows 7 64 bit
32GB RAM
500GB Boot Drive
RAID 1 Data Drive (2x1TB) (it's just about full! 2x2TB WD RE4 drives are on the way)
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz Quad Core 8MB 95W
Asus P8P67-M Pro REV 3.0

I use PTGui Pro or CS6 for stitching - usually one of them will do it. I have a lot of problems when either the images are dark or there is not a lot of high contrast detail. PTGui will always eventually stitch them together, but it's more work so I always try CS6 first. I tried out a lot of panorama stitching software before settling on PTGui.

- John

georgms

CGrindahl wrote:
Here are a couple of photos from the end of my day in San Francisco, the first taken from the ferry, the second as I walked back to my car showing the ferry terminal. Both shot with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd and then converted in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Curtis, I like especially this shot - the framing with the diagonal rolling wave is great. And I really like your B&W-conversion.

CGrindahl

Thanks Georg. I'm doing a bit more experimenting in SEP with my own treatment. As with any tool used in post processing, there is a learning curve. I think this set of Nik tools will prove very useful. I'm certainly enjoying the process. Here are a couple more photos taken in Muir Woods.

Here you get a sense of the scale of the place. These are big trees...

All shot with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2537

mp356 wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Wanted to see how the 100-300 5.6 AIS would hold up to the demands of the D600

Looks mighty fine to me!

+1 Ray! It does not matter what lens is in your hands, you always produce beautiful images.

+100
Excellent butterfly set!

georgms

Some pictures from a short walk with a 24/2Ai mounted onto the V1 via FT-1:

the 24/2Ai is a warrant for some lively bokeh - 24/2Ai at about MFD, wide-open, Nikon V1

I'm not 100% happy with the B&W-conversion here, maybe I'll re-do this one

birchbark - I could stare for hours at it

asiostygius

Ronny _Olsson wrote:

Nikkor 135mm f/2 Ai-s Vivitar Nikon AT-3/AI Extension Tube 36mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Very nice image, including the bokeh.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 666

georgms wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Hi All,
Snooping around for a reasonable quality 24 or 20mm lens. couple of options of a certain auction website, what's the going rate for a 24mm f2.8 Ai and is there a big difference between that and the Ai-s version?
Also seen a not too expensive 24mm F2.0 but Bjorn Rorslett doesn't seem too keen on this one, what's peoples thoughts?

Thanks!

Mark, I just came home from a short walk with the 24/2Ai (mounted via FT-1 on the Nikon 1 V1).
Nancy ("waysaz") and Jose did some amazing work with their copies (the Ais-variant, if I'm not mistaken).
The 24/2.8 is less temperamental in the bokeh-department and probably the better choice.
I've never tried the 20/2.8Ais, but have it's AF-sister and that's a good, but not very good performer.
Main difference between Ai- and Ais-lenses is the much longer focus-throw at the older Ai-lenses. But I'm sure there are other differences too (coatings and so on).

Thanks Georg, also for the advise on the rugby pics, I have made the cropping you suggested and it looks much more impactful.

I think I will see if I can find a copy of the 24mm F/2, I have the AF 14-24mm f/2.8 so I think I can go for a "crazy" lens here. Of course if a bargain appears I can always change my mind.

georgms

MarkdV wrote:
georgms wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks!

Thanks Georg, also for the advise on the rugby pics, I have made the cropping you suggested and it looks much more impactful.

I think I will see if I can find a copy of the 24mm F/2, I have the AF 14-24mm f/2.8 so I think I can go for a "crazy" lens here. Of course if a bargain appears I can always change my mind.

Well, Mark, I would call the 14-24/2.8 a crazy lens too
In my opinion there's no match for this monster in the MF-Nikkor line-up. But I don't wanna carry the 14-24 all day and that's why the compact and lightweight MF-Nikkors have their place in my heart and camera-bag too ;-)

asiostygius

Thanks, John, Leighton, Ronny, Jeff and Georg for the comments.

Rafael, very rich colours with your 15/5.6;

Mark, I liked your rugby set with the 180/2.8;

John, as usual terrific sunset pano with the 400/5.6, but wow - 18 shots!!

Georg, impressive work with the "maligned" 24/2 + V1.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 666

Tony, love your flower shot with the 24mm, lovely light and a great feel to the image.

Ray, wonderful butterfly shots with the 100-300mm. How do you get the darn things to sit still long enough to get a photo?

Georg - See what you mean about that bokeh with the F/2 - you really make it work well. and the birch bark is mesmerizing.

Curtis - love your shots from San Fran and have been admiring all your work with Nikki.

Jeff - great B&W conversions, enjoy twin points but keep getting drawn into Slow flowers, fast train. reminds me a bit of a Tom Wood photo I saw recently, except he was in the train shooting out.

Peter - loved Ghost rock.

John - you are the king of Panoramas. Lovely one of Olympic mt.

asiostygius

Foggy14 wrote:
Peter, I really like the look of "Ghost Rock."

John, that's a beautiful panorama!

Here are a couple conversions that veer toward the impressionistic end of the scale.

Nice!!!

asiostygius

Mark, Georg - the 24/2 master - have already posted good advice to you.

My relatively short experience with the 24/2 ais revealed that for landscapes I need at least f/8 for border to border good sharpness.

one sample:

HDR sunset with the Nikkor 24mm f/2 AI-S by labecoaves, on Flickr

HDR sunset with the Nikkor 24mm f/2 AI-S
D3 + 24mm f/2 Ai-S supported over the windowsill, remote cable, ISO 200 at f/8, base exposure 1/2s, plus -1EV and +1EV; slight 5% crop.
The reddish cast was what my eyes saw at the moment, no overdone HDR.

I have no 24/2.8 yet, though I am at a bidding race for an old non ai 24/2.8 N.C (Curtis guilt!!!) at the moment , but I suppose this and the ai/ais versions are better lenses for landscapes, as Curtis and now Tony have showed previously.
On the other hand, if you are planning a lot of bokeh playing and some artistic shots the 24/2 lens supposedly is better than the 24/2.8.

sample:

Bokeh test with Nikkor 24mm f2 AI-S + 12mm tube by labecoaves, on Flickr

Bokeh test with Nikkor 24mm f2 AI-S + 12mm tube
Playing around with the dreamy bokeh of the often maligned Nikkor 24mm f/2 AIS at macro distances.
D3 + Vivitar 12mm tube, ISO 400, f/2.8 at 1/400s handheld, ~30% cropped.

MDoc9523

CGrindahl wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
Whoa! You're killing us with these shots Ray. I do believe the humble 100-300 f/5.6 AI-s is up to the task at 24 megapixels. This is a fine lens now that we're getting more light. I'll have to pull mine out and play a bit, though I don't have these exotic butterflies to capture. Beautiful images Ray. Excellent work on every level.

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Kevin and Curtis. I thought that the 100-300 5.6 held up pretty well. Certainly not quite as good as the prime lens but it's versatility in focal lengths along with the excellent quality is definitely a bonus for this lens. I was able to buy her for around $100.oo
As an edit: perhaps this lens could be the next around the world lens? Whatcha think?

I agree with you Ray, not quite up to the primes. But I do like your images.

It's funny but when I shot Canon, I had mostly zooms and that seemed to be the trend. I see that a lot with Nikon users now also. I suppose they have their convenience, but I am just enthralled by the prime lenses. My zooms just seemed to sit and I bet I haven't shot with the 100-300 for 6-8months

When you pick up primes like the 85 f/1.4 AI-s and 35 f/1.4 AI-s as you recently did, you're bound to become a fan of prime lenses. The recent portrait of a young boy you posted brought an immediate smile to my face. I knew you'd been playing with the 85 again. Although I appreciate the capability of the zoom lenses in my kit, they seldom are mounted on my camera. Primes are simply too delicious to leave at home.

I shot this yesterday with Nikki's older sister, the 85 f/1.8 H AI'd. Needless to say, I'm really enjoying the pre-AI lenses that have been added over the past year.

Shot at f/2... rather nice isolation. This has a real 3-D pop to it.

Beautiful it certainly does look 3D. I agree with you about the primes they are too good not to use!
The Redwood shots are amazing in detail and sharpness

MDoc9523

Georg that's some serious bokeh with the V1. I certainly would not have thought it capable of that!
Jose very nice examples of the 24mm 2.0. The color in the sky is wonderful!

georgms

Jose, Mark and Ray - thanks for your kind words on the 24/2+V1-shots!

Here are a few more:

24/2Ai via FT1 on Nikon 1 V1 - aperture unrecorded (maybe stopped down to f/4, but not more)

tried to make it work in B&W, but I think I prefer the color-version

some more barbed wire, 24/2 Ai wide open

asiostygius

Georg, more excellent 24/2 images.

Thank you Ray.

1       2       3              2765      
       2767              4052       4053       end