Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2760

1       2       3              2760      
       2762              4305       4306       end

bruni
Total Posts: 1422

Lieutenant Z wrote:
trying to duplicate Ben's pictures through shop-windows (page 2479, http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2478#11284175).
But clearly, he is the boss!

yeah right, lol.....love the shallow focus , looks like you used a much longer lens than 85. I wanted to go out on the weekend and take some "purple" shots to entice you back....but you beat me to it, as usual.

ben

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1466

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
It makes sense Leighton, that moving from the D7000, the D600 would work for you. But you also have a long history with Nikon, so you doubtless recall the feel of a full-sized camera. I don't know whether you've shot with the D700 but it is a handful. When I was upgrading from my first DSLR during my Canon days, there was no FX option available. The newest Digital Rebel that replaced the 300D I was using, had a much bigger sensor in a much smaller body. I simply couldn't handle it and so moved to the much more expensive 20D which felt much better in my hand. Next I tried a 1D which I loved, but the full-sized professional camera was too heavy and made the plunge to buy the 5D which has recently been released. I enjoyed that camera a great deal and as you know still owned it when I bought the D700.

Smaller cameras just don't feel comfortable in my hand. I might still have taken the plunge with the D600, keeping my D700, of course, except for the problems reported with that new camera. I know you haven't been troubled by dust or oil and I haven't heard complaints from Ray, so I'm assuming it is not a huge problem. But when I'm lukewarm about moving beyond the D700, such conversation diminishes my enthusiasm. I continue to look at both used D700s and refurbished D600s, but will likely do nothing but keep shooting with what I have.

Yes, I have shot with the D700 and loved the feel of it. But when it came down to the deciding factor of IQ the D600 won out over the D700.

I did have sensor dust/oil, but a wet clean took care of that. I understand now that cameras being sent in to Nikon for cleaning are getting their shutters replaced. This tells me that they have discovered and fixed the problem.

I decided to buy the D800 last June and also to keep my 2007 D3 last year, my cameras are not durability tests as they are pampered. Got very lucky with both, no issues at all. The D3 needed periodic sensor cleaning for the first year or so. The D800 has been very clean and I could not detect AF sensor differences from left to right with any lenses. Just drop it on the floor with the lens facing down and it takes care or any stubborn dust particles.

KNOCK on WOOD.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9456

MDoc9523 wrote:
I took some shots with the D600 and 85mm 1.4. After the firmware update this camera seems much sharper. These are all at 2.8

Love this one Ray!

leighton w
Total Posts: 9456

It's happy hour! SIL's first brew and it's VERY good.

deang001
Total Posts: 1559

CGrindahl wrote:
I hesitate to share this image considering the magic of Dean's work in Hong Kong, but the conductor on the cable car insisted I sit on the right side so I'd have a view down Grant Street into the heart of San Francisco's Chinatown. Yes, there has been a vibrant Chinese community here since the Gold Rush in 1849 and this neighborhood continues to attract both tourists for the charm and locals who love the shops and restaurants, but... it is NOT Hong Kong. But, so be it...

This was shot with Nikki. What follows is a shot of the line waiting to board cable cars at Mission at the foot of Powell Street. This was taken with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd.

Love it

Man, you have done a fine job with her, Curtis !!

I love the images of the Victorian houses as well ... very San Francisco.

BTW, looks like you are getting on very well with Silver Efex Pro. The B&W conversions you have been dishing out look great and you seem to have a particular style you have settled on.

deang001

Regarding the D800's tendency to over expose, I did a bit of research yesterday and it seems quite prevalent.

I found this from Thom Hogan which probably explains what happened. It's funny too that my first DSLR was a D80 and I wanted to smash it after a while because of the same problem !! Now I seem to be back there again.

It's really been bugging me a lot lately, so I took 3 of my cameras (D800e, M9 & X-Pro 1) to a temple yesterday and shot the exact image with all three several times all with basically the same focal length lens or equivalent. Even the M9 nailed the exposure way more than the D800. The X-Pro 1 did too. I find myself having to take the image 2-3 times adjusting the EV to get it right. I don't think this is very good for such a technologically advanced camera on Matrix mode. Compared to my other two cameras, I find images from the D800e just too bright and washed out.

The handling of the body doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have the grip as well but only use it with long lenses ... but even the grip is OK. But yes, I too favour the D700 in hand over the D800.

Anyway, I guess I need to adjust the way I'm shooting or sell the thing and go back to a D700. I do like the sharpness it seems to give wide open though.

From Thom ...

You think I'm done? Barely started, really. Apparently Nikon believes that the D80 matrix metering system was the world's best (it was in actuality the worst matrix metering system Nikon has produced). More so than any other camera, the D80 would rethink its matrix patterns based upon the gray value it found underneath the current autofocus sensor. Put the focus on a bride's white dress and you got underexposure. Put it on the groom's dark suit and you got overexposure. Well, it's back. Not nearly as bad as the D80 was, but the D800 has the same tendency to overemphasize correcting what's under your chosen autofocus sensor. Try this little test at home: set your camera up on a tripod pointed at ColorChecker chart. Make sure the chart is a large part of the frame and that you can put your autofocus sensor on the individual white to black patches on the bottom. Now try moving the autofocus sensor in matrix metering and see what you get. I just did it: 1/320 on white, 1/200 on black (all other settings and lighting not changed). That's two-thirds of a stop difference when the exposure shouldn't have changed at all. This is a step backward, and not the matrix metering most of you high-end Nikon DSLR users are used to.

Why isn't it being complained about? Because a lot of you are shooting people. The color metering information in the viewfinder actually does a good job of finding skin tones and doing the right thing with them. So if you focus on people, matrix meter not so bad. Focus at different parts of a high contrast landscape, matrix meter bad. (Okay, "bad" is probably too harsh a word: the meter is never truly bad, just wrong a lot more than it was on my D3 models.)

I have added an some images here from yesterday. I'm no technician but the first one is what I see a lot from this camera.

I also added

deang001

I hope you all don't mind me adding two images from other cameras (I'll delete them if needed) but it shows the difference a see all the time. The focus was on the middle of the scene. It's very irritating. Exif is always wrong in the M9 ... all images shot with the M9 were at f/2. XPro images are at f/1.4

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1080

Chin, the night landscape is extremely well done, even if it's an old standby location.

Sam, the dreamy 1.2 iris shot is just the ticket for that flower and that setting.

Samy, you're making a pretty good argument for the TC-16A

Peter, thanks for the beautiful pics of flora from South Africa, I always enjoy seeing these pics since they are different from the flowers I usually see.

Reagan, "what's the point" is sharp and to the point!

Curtis, I remember seeing some of those Victorian homes, just beautifully done.

Georg, MF hockey - now that's a sport that'll challenge the MF user, I think the images you posted showed a fine job, and downsizing for the web helps to hide slight focus misses, I think.

pbraymond

Kevin, I gave your suggestion a shot on the bridge pano, but could not get it to work in LR. And for some reason, when I manually selected the profiles, I did not get a 14mm profile, closest were fisheyes, or the 14-24. None of the profiles looked right, in fact the 14-24 profile did not correct much distortion at all.

Ray, Jeff, Georg, thanks for the comments on the bridge shot.

Anyway, I reworked it a little in PS (if nothing more than to learn something new), and here's what I got .... and now the pier looks like it's toppling over ....

pbraymond

One from Friday evening, 28mm f2.8AIS

Paul Gabel
Total Posts: 316

What a tremendous load of beautiful pictures since my last posting. Haven't had time to comment, but still would like to contribute a few photos to the thread.

Went to a 'Sunday Jazz and Wine' event: small culinary bites accompanied by tasteful wines and some jazz.

_PG24729 by Apapa56, on Flickr
50mm/1.8 ais 1/160 sec at f8.0 iso 5600

_PG24730 by Apapa56, on Flickr
50mm/1.8 ais 1/160 sec at f8.0 iso3200

The lady apparently was not feeling quite well even before it started.

Paul Gabel
Total Posts: 316

There were Cuban musicians playing

_PG24906 by Apapa56, on Flickr
180mm/2.8 ais fully open, 1/160 sec iso 400

_PG24901 by Apapa56, on Flickr
180mm/2.8 ais fully open 1/160 sec 120 1000

_PG24842 by Apapa56, on Flickr
85mm/1.8 H-C ai'd fully open 1/160 sec iso 280

And since I didn't have a wide-angle with me, I had to make do with a nifty fifty for a 12-shot vertical pano (forgot to adjust the non-cpu register though).

Aruán Ortiz pano by Apapa56, on Flickr
50mm/1.8 ais 1/250 sec f4.0 iso 1600

mp356
Total Posts: 4331

MarkdV wrote:
Dear All,

I've just returned from a weeks camping by Lake Garda, not the warmest camping I've ever done but one of the prettiest spots. I have 30 pages to catch up on and 800+ images to go through which put the 35-70mm f/3.5 and the Series E 75-150mm (programmed in camera as "80mm") through their paces and they did very well, I'm sure that's no surprise to most of you.

Here's some teasers SOOC. I'll post a selection from each lens and a bit of my thoughts on them later.

Cheers,
Mark.

Great series Mark. Really like the first image. Can not wait to see more.

mp356

Lieutenant Z wrote:
trying to duplicate Ben's pictures through shop-windows (page 2479, http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/2478#11284175).
But clearly, he is the boss!

Nice window shopping Philippe!

mp356

CGrindahl wrote:
Who knows Ray, the D600 might be comfortable in my hand, which isn't big either, but I've for so long hand a handful that it seems strange to hold a smaller camera. Point and shoot cameras frighten me. Cellphone are impossible. If folks ask me to take a photo with one I decline. I'll try a point and shoot but reluctantly.

As an aside, I checked EXIF data to see how many photos I took during Nikki's visit. Including all shots with all lenses beginning with the photo of the box when it arrived, to the last photo taken a Marin Brewing Company, I shot 2,453 photos. Here is that last shot...

Curtis, wow! 2453 images. You deserve to drink all the beers in this image!

mp356

CGrindahl wrote:
I promised a few more shots of my time with Nikki. I'd wanted to share a few photos of the colorful Victorian homes that are found all over San Francisco. The first image was shot with Nikki, the others with the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd which was called for on narrow streets. San Francisco is noted for its "bay windows that thrust out from the front of a building, whether a single family home or apartment building. I've lived in buildings with this feature and it is quite lovely, especially for viewing up and down a street.

Curtis, I love seeing these "painted ladies". Years ago I spend a full day wandering the streets of SF taking images of these wonderful victorians. I went through many rolls of Kodachrome 64 (Pentax 35mm Spotomatic with a cheap manual focus zoom). Man was I tired that night! Great images. Please keep them coming.

mp356

leighton w wrote:
It's happy hour! SIL's first brew and it's VERY good.

Nice one Leighton.

mp356

Paul Gabel wrote:
There were Cuban musicians playing

_PG24906 by Apapa56, on Flickr
180mm/2.8 ais fully open, 1/160 sec iso 400

Paul, nice series. This one has a wonderful feel and background. The sheet music reflection is very nice.

designdog
Total Posts: 198

Deang,

You are making me think about breaking out the X Pro1 tomorrow! To my eye it made the best of the bunch!

We're these OOC jpegs or raw?

mp356

Signs of Spring! Some flowers decide its safe to pop their heads up. Taken with the 16 3.5 Ai. Thanks Tony, she is very nice.

1       2       3              2760      
       2762              4305       4306       end