Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2752

1       2       3              2752      
       2754              4300       4301       end

designdog
Total Posts: 198

Another shot from my new (to me) lens.

I have noticed that there is no way to see, from the EXIF, exactly what focal length the shot was made from. I set it up in my D700 as a 25mm f4, since there seemed no way to enter a mf zoom lens. Just a small inconvenience.

Have always thought this would be a good travel lens, coupled with the 105 2.5. I will get to try it out in a few weeks.

pburke
Total Posts: 2114

designdog wrote:
I have noticed that there is no way to see, from the EXIF, exactly what focal length the shot was made from. I set it up in my D700 as a 25mm f4, since there seemed no way to enter a mf zoom lens. Just a small inconvenience.

you could always adjust the MF lens data for each shot, but that's rather tedious. There is no way for a camera to know what position the MF zoom is at.

You can modify lens data in EXIF after the shot, too, but do you really have time for that? You would need to keep notes for every shot.

Lenses that change aperture over the zoom range do need multiple entries to meter the exposure more accurately, but even that can be ignored to some extent when shooting raw.

bruni
Total Posts: 1422

georgms wrote:
leighton w wrote:
There's something wrong with my sensor and I don't think it's oil! It just started last evening and I don't know what to do, can you help me?

Ahh, come on, Leighton, do you really wanna complain about some hot pixels?

I like both images, good job with the 180/2.8!

+1

they're lovely Leighton - so idyllic they almost look like they've been photoshopped.

ben

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1462

designdog wrote:

Have always thought this would be a good travel lens, coupled with the 105 2.5. I will get to try it out in a few weeks.

You will never regret getting the 25-50mm, it is outstanding on any camera.

saph
Total Posts: 2341

Trying to reverse and do through at least several pages.

Georg, beautiful starscapes. And I liked the one looking past the water to your Danish neighbors. Looking at the map to see where the Baltic Sea separates Denmark from the northern part of Germany. And oh boy, that 16 3.5 is as sharp as everyone says here, as in your university foyer image.

Laura, the prop plane with the reflections on its fuselage and wing is very eye catching! And you are right, that was the WWII memorial in DC. That's neat that you get to welcome those veterans at the airport.

Peter, nice images from the air show.

Jeff, very nice effect in the Palms at Night!

Ray (FL), super flowers as usual!

Agentbird, looks like Chin pointed you to some great image opportunities and you put good them all to good use!

Leighton, cute cat family pic!

Curtis, have really enjoyed seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and SF from perspectives which are not normally seen. Thanks!

Ronny, you continue to amaze with the pics with the 180 AIS.

Jose, like the Neptune detail with the 55 3.5! Every little stone is clear.

Kevin, the image of the bright blue flowers against the green background with the 135 Q is outstanding!

Reagan, beautiful flowers. And you can stop rubbing it in, it may actually be up to 60F here today Wait, you sold *another* lens??

Rafael, wow, what a "normal" collection!

saph

Leighton, here's a crop showing some of the posters.

Another image from Washington, this is at the Lincoln Memorial. 50 1.2 AIS, f4 and 1/125s.

rafaelcasd

Yes Samy, quite a "normal" collection, particularly given that I am not so "normal" myself.

Final test shot of the day for the 'new' 55mm 1.2 SC, my garden is very natural, here is some natural flowers (weeds)

at 1:8.0

Nikkor 55mm 1.2 _6SC Arrival by Rafael CA, on Flickr

At 1:1.2, which do we like best?

Nikkor 55mm 1.2 _7SC Arrival by Rafael CA, on Flickr

saph

Rafael, I say you are very normal since I am trying to emulate you and am up to 6 normals so far

I like the second one at f/1.2. The first one has crisp white flowers in the front, but I like the dreamy cloudy white blur in the background of the wide open shot.

Samy

raboof
Total Posts: 1502

Great shots Rafael.

I miss the 1.2

designdog

Please illuminate me. This 55 1.2 sc is a non AI lens? So how do you get it to work on a Nikon dslr?

pburke
Total Posts: 2114

designdog wrote:
Please illuminate me. This 55 1.2 sc is a non AI lens? So how do you get it to work on a Nikon dslr?

AI conversion. $30 plus shipping, unless you must go with the original conversion rings sold by Nikon years ago, which can be hard to find for the more common focal lengths. Example for a rare 15mm lens

rafaelcasd

pburke wrote:
designdog wrote:

AI conversion. $30 plus shipping, unless you must go with the original conversion rings sold by Nikon years ago, which can be hard to find for the more common focal lengths. Example for a rare 15mm lens

The one for the 55mm 1.2 is this one that just sold on the Bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111040679149?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

saph

The Washington Monument as seen from the Lincoln Memorial. The monument has been closed off since the earthquake in the region nearly two years ago, and is now being repaired. 50 1.2 AIS, at f/11, 1/320s.

And a crop of the monument, can just about make out the workers at the top of the construction framework.

philipj
Total Posts: 850

I can't possibly comment on everything since my last visit, but it's all good. From the last few pages, Curtis' shots from San Francisco are a treat, the PCE images from Anton are always wonderful, Ronny's work with the 180 is great, etc.

A couple of shots with the 50mm f/1.2 AI-s. Margot of course makes an appearance, and the other is from a back alley close to my home.

Box hat girl by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Garage door girl by philipjohnson, on Flickr

The 50mm f/1.2 AI-s is certainly a gem of a lens, but I'm starting to think I should save my pennies and swap it out for that 45mm PC-E...

Reagan
Total Posts: 2992

designdog wrote:

What a nice photo David. 25-50 and a 105 what a great Combo Along with a fast 50 you couldn't ask for anything more

Reagan

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2964

philipj wrote:

Box hat girl by philipjohnson, on Flickr

I love this one Phillip!!

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13157

designdog wrote:

Quite a number of us have been avidly pursuing pre-AI lenses that were made entirely of metal. They have scalloped focusing rings. As Peter and Rafael mention, these older lenses must be converted before they may be used by modern Nikon DSLR cameras. That may be done reasonably inexpensively by having the aperture ring cut down. The more elegant solution, the one that I opted for and that Rafael has done as well, is to find lenses that already have installed, an AI conversion kit manufactured by Nikon some years ago. They are available, as Peter noted for only the less desirable Nikkor lenses.

Lenses with the conversion kit tend to be more rare and to cost more money. Then another wrinkle can be added to the adventure because Nikon changed lens design and lens coatings over time, so there are often a number of versions for each pre-AI lens. Rafael just bought an S.C. version of the 55 f/1.2. He already owns the S version. The C represents multi-coating. Those are the last pre-AI lenses made by Nikon. The AI version of each lens generally has the same optical design and the same coatings as found in the pre-AI version carrying a C in its designation.

We've been sharing the lens owned by Ben in Sydney which is an 85 f/1.8 H.C. AI'd. That makes it the last pre-AI version of this lens and it has the AI conversion kit. I've wanted to buy a copy of that lens but have been unable to find one in excellent condition with the AI conversion kit. I eventually bought an 85 f/1.8 H AI'd. I decided not to drive myself crazy looking for the H.C., though if one comes my way, with or without the AI conversion kit, I might buy it and change aperture rings between my H and the H.C.

The whole adventure is complex but great fun to navigate, especially when one can share it with so many great folks who share a passion for these lenses. Here is a photo of most of my pre-AI lenses, all but one of which has the conversion kit.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13157

Love your lens photos Rafael. You have a very discerning eye and have put together a first rate kit of lenses. I thought I was being indulgent with both a 50 f/1.2 AI-s and a 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd but you definitely take the prize. At the moment I'm focusing on upgrading the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, the lens on the far left of the photo above. This is the Sonnar design with five elements in three groups. The link you offered to a later version of the P lens has five elements in four groups. That is the design carried forward in all later versions of the 105 f/2.5. The one shown above is the 105 f/2.5 P.C. AI'd.

What wonderful fun we're having! Kit building is forever, or so I've heard...

designdog

Thanks for the input! Sounds right up my alley, except for perhaps the absence of instant gratification.

I read somewhere that the 35 2.8 SC had similar "3d" qualities to the 25-50. Perhaps that would be a good place to start. Already have a 50 1.2 AI-s that is near perfect.

Is there a recommended conversion source?

designdog

Here is another question re the "pre AI" lenses.

I have a Fuji X Pro 1 which works very nicely with, say, my 50 1.2 AI-s. With an F adapter. Would a non- converted non-AI lens work with this? Interesting.

1       2       3              2752      
       2754              4300       4301       end