Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2749

1       2       3              2749      
       2751              4080       4081       end

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2543

This is one of the most, if not the most well preserved mosaic panel at Herculaneum - "House of Neptune".

General view with a 20mm:

Neptune & Amphitrite mosaic panel - general view by labecoaves, on Flickr

Glass paste mosaic in the House of Neptune - general view.
Neptune and his consort, Amphitrite.
D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd hand held, ISO 800, f/5.6 at 1/400s.

More detailed view with 55/3.5 - pano with 3 vertical shots:

Neptune & Amphitrite mosaic panel - closer view by labecoaves, on Flickr

Neptune and his consort, Amphitrite.
D7000 + Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 800, f/5.6 at 1/200s.
Sea shells seem to be a favourite material for framing mosaic panels.

More details here:
https://sites.google.com/site/ad79eruption/herculaneum-1/insula-v/house-of-the-neptune-mosaic

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12824

I'm slowly beginning to catch my breath, though the deadline for filing taxes is approaching and I've yet to start the process. I've been processing images from yesterday and have a few more to share. As impressed as I am with Nikki, for some shooting the focal length is not ideal. I found myself spending much of yesterday with the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd, another lens Ben celebrated that made its way into my kit. Thanks for that as well Ben.

But lets just start posting photos. I found converting with Silver Efex Pro 2 helped quite a bit with some of the challenging lighting situations encountered in the middle of an early April afternoon.

A few shots at Union Square in the middle of downtown.

One taken with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd, also at the square.

CGrindahl

While I was waiting for the cable car at the foot of Powell Street where it intersects with Mission, I met a young man from Jose's hometown Sao Paolo, who was taking a grand tour through America before heading back to Brazil. His name is Luiz. He may show up hear at some point in time. He found Fred Miranda on his smartphone as we were chatting and I was telling him the story of Nikki. But this portrait was taken with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd.

I realized I needed a wider lens and mounted the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd that stayed on my camera for the rest of the day.

Up and over Nob Hill and we came down toward the bay.

mp356
Total Posts: 4214

The ugly side of Spring. You never know what treasures will be found after a long winter. Here a mangled shopping cart slowly emerges from a huge pile of melting snow in a local plaza parking lot. This is not a b&w conversion (it is that ugly). Taken with the 28 2.8 ais.

CGrindahl

Everyone loves to take photos of the "grip" the man who keeps the cable cars both on the move and when it needs to stop. Cables run beneath the roadway. You can see the slit in the road between the two rails in the photo above. There is a moving cable that is gripped by a device mounted beneath the cable car. Here is a photo of the grip doing his thing.

There is quite a bit of physical exertion required to do this job.

This is coming down Hyde Street to the beach.

Empty cable cars park here until they move to the turntable to pick up passengers for the journey back over the hill. And this is my reward...

The Buena Vista Cafe is home to the Irish Coffee, a true San Francisco treat. This was shot wide open to focus on the lusciousness. I had TWO!

CGrindahl

Food is reasonable at the Buena Vista but they really want you to buy Irish Coffee, which is eight bucks a pop. This is the ambiance of the place...

And here is the turntable for the Hyde Street line. In the distance you see Mount Tamalpais... a direct line to my home in San Anselmo.

At the foot of the street is a maritime museum with old ships that at one time plied the waters of the bay.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5683

Jose and Curtis - just outstanding images!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2738

Peter, I was able to dial down a lot of that fringing...I played with the image a little bit too... What do you think?

**oops, tried to post the full rez***

Here we go.

pburke
Total Posts: 1769

nice, just a hint of purple and yellow left - and glad you reduced the size of the image

kwoodard

Purple I could still see a tad, where was yellow?

pburke
Total Posts: 1769

I saw it in the full rez - horizontal lines in the star, I think

kwoodard

Will give it a look tomorrow. I sent you a pm.

kwoodard

From my San Francisco excursion with family. Not sure what kind of plant these are, but they are quite beautiful.

Nikkor-Q 135mm f/2.8 wide open. This is BY FAR the hardest lens to focus with on my D7000. This was shot wide open. Usually I have to be at f/5.6 to get what I want in focus...

DSC_7603 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Oosty
Total Posts: 4016

pbraymond wrote:

Laura, the Nik versions of the planes are interesting, and catch my eye, but in the long term I prefer the non-Nik versions overall.

I agree with Raymond.

(Laura this post sums up my feelings on the "Nik - ed" photos in general, not only yours and is not a criticism of your images, which are always good.)

I had a brief foray with Silver Efex Pro when I was hanging out on the B&W Vision forum but found that I tended to overprocess images with the result that they lost their "freshness" (for want of a better word). Most of the images I like best on this thread have been minimally tweaked and have shown off the capabilities of the lenses more than the pp skills.

Clearly, this is only my opinion as all the tools are useful and the results superb if used with restraint.

deang001
Total Posts: 1525

CGrindahl wrote:
And here are two more of the Oakland Bay bridge from the promenade using the 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI'd. I imagine the AI and AI-s version of this lens would perform equally well, but this all metal version is beautiful and a joy to use.

The first shot was converted with Silver Efex Pro 2, the second with my normal processing. These are WIDE>

And one more with Nikki... the beginning of my cable car adventure... Looking up California Street toward the top of Nob Hill. My back is to the Ferry Terminal.

Absolutely brilliant shot, Curtis ... I really like everything about it. Well done !!!

deang001
Total Posts: 1525

CGrindahl wrote:
While I was waiting for the cable car at the foot of Powell Street where it intersects with Mission, I met a young man from Jose's hometown Sao Paolo, who was taking a grand tour through America before heading back to Brazil. His name is Luiz. He may show up hear at some point in time. He found Fred Miranda on his smartphone as we were chatting and I was telling him the story of Nikki. But this portrait was taken with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd.

I realized I needed a wider lens and mounted the 55 f/1.2 S.C. AI'd that stayed on my camera for the rest of the day.

Up and over Nob Hill and we came down toward the bay.

Lovely shots, Curtis ... and nicely processed. I'd love to visit that city one day. Looks to have so much character.

Oosty

Jeff, Ray - thanks.( the little flower was taken with the equivalent of a PK 13 tube and is about the size of a dime or a penny)

Kevin - you're far more expert with pp than I am. I'm not sure if this would work with PSE but I'll have a go. Thanks for the tip.

Jose - those bars must have been pretty fun places in their day

Reagan - nice nuts . The spring shots are magnificent - those azaleas!

Peter B - very nice plane images of the Lockheed Lightning, the B25, the Mustang and the Corsair

Chuong - the buildings are great with the 16. They're really like urban abstract.

Georg - the ceiling shots with the 16 are very good - Try lying on your back?

Ronny - was the girl (your daughter?) on a trampoline? Nice series.

Roberto - the Venice cafe shot is excellent. Every picture tells a story alright - the few patrons look more determined to be there than happy!

Scott - you must be fed up withy all that snow - specially if you're a golfer!

Laura - more impressive plane shots.

Ray - very good treatment of the fire hydrant. Nice image.

Jeff - cool palms - quite eerie. Book cover stuff!

Ray - nice flowers

Reagan - re the picnic table image. I think the image is a bit "flat" due to lunchtime light and there's not much that pp can do about that. It must be a pretty place.

A-bird - lovely girl. What's a nice girl like that doing outside such a junkshop?

Leighton - the cats are fantastic!

Kevin - beautiful floers in SF. They seem to grow in profusion as many of Curtis' landscapes seem to include them.

Oosty

Curtis - thank you for taking Nikki (and others) on the magnificent tour of your home town, Muir woods and San Francisco. It is such a beautiful city and you have shown it off so well. I had only two days there in a break from a business trip in 1988 that took me round the world and I loved every minute of it. I must have walked 15 miles, covering such diverse places as Pier 39, Nob Hill, the financial district and some seedier areas that I wandered into by accident. I can share your fatigue - pity I couldn't share the reward!

I've thoroughly enjoyed all your images and i think you gave Nikki a magnificent send off with many great "memories in her image bank" ( )

CGrindahl

When you and I are on the thread at the same time Peter, I'm up MUCH TOO LATE!

Thanks for your kind words. I'm embarrassed to say I took over 2,000 photos during Nikki's visit, though as folks who've been following this thread know, those include photos taken with a variety of lenses. I have perhaps 300 photos processed from that adventure, so trust me, there are many more images that could be added to the thread. I'll do my best to make a thoughtful selection since I've no interest in flooding the thread with mediocre images. I'm ever mindful of the conversation that seems to be happening about Philippe's comment about banal images. Doubtless, he has been affected by the fellow whose street photography so impressed him. There are many ways to take photographs and some are more on the edge than others. I'll do my best to tell stories worth telling.

Now to bed... I'll leave the thread to those to the west of me, in Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia and, of course, South Africa, where it must be morning... Have a wonderful day everyone. I need to sleep!

agentbird
Total Posts: 571

Two more from my outing with Chin aka Zichar:

1       2       3              2749      
       2751              4080       4081       end